Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 15th May 2003, 16:27   #1  |  Link
Shootist

dvds with safedisc?

Quote:
Originally posted by www.gamestar.de

Bislang sind Anti-Raubkopierermaßnahmen im Zusammenhang mit Spiele-DVDs kein großes Thema. Das soll sich jetzt ändern, denn Macrovision stellt auf der E3 eine neue Version der weit verbreiteten CD-ROM-Schutz-Software Safedisk vor, die erstmals auch DVDs schützen können soll. Zeit wird es: DVD-Brenner verkaufen sich derzeit wie frische Schoko-Croissants.
in english: dvds with safedisc, annouced at e3.

what do you think about that?
Old 15th May 2003, 23:33   #2  |  Link
ultimatebilly

Game-DVDs aren't protected at the moment?
I didn't know that...
Well, just think about Safedisc for CDs...
I don't know how long it took, but I'm pretty sure the first workarounds only needed a few days...
And of course the whole thing doesn't affect us DVD-rippers...
ultimatebilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2003, 05:51   #3  |  Link
Shootist

Quote:
Originally posted by ultimatebilly
And of course the whole thing doesn't affect us DVD-rippers...
I hope so, there would be millions of problems with current stand-alone-players...
Old 16th May 2003, 07:21   #4  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

The main obstacle here being the fact that DVD Players cannot execute raw code other than the scripting language inside of IFOs and such.

AFAIK, SafeDisc works on the principle of 'unreadable' sectors and such, and a custom wrapper around the executable code. Luckily things that are wrapped can be unwrapped.

You will never see this sort of protection on the current DVD9 technology. Instead you'll see something much more interesting.

The movie title itself will have 99 PGCs, all randomly ordered portions of the film (i.e. PGC1 is clip 25, PGC2 is clip 10, etc.). This very simple addition during the authoring process will disable most of the DivX and SVCD tools. Consider for a moment how you would process this... continue to consider how long it would take you to recombine all of the PGCs by hand...

Don't believe me? Dummy PGCs are already beginning to become more common (i.e. Lilo and Stitch) And when someone releases a tool to automate the process of recombining the PGCs or processing them, they can always shift down to the cell level I would imagine, combining random cells.

Obviously the days of blind file processing (ala DVD2AVI) are swiftly coming to an end, and any hope we have is with an intimate understanding of IFO files and tools that also posess that knowledge.

And this would work on all DVD Players, no worry about incompatibilities like RCE
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2003, 09:14   #5  |  Link
ultimatebilly

Man, I hope you aren't right there...
But it sounds very plausible...
Will have to learn more about DVD-structure!
But, although DVD->MPEG4 conversion processes were very much harder with this kind of "scrambling", it wouldn't affect people who do backups on DVD, wouldn't it (I mean people who use ifoupdate)?
Of course if you wan't to reauthor, it does...
ultimatebilly is offline   Reply With Quote