Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th July 2016, 13:18   #38921  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
I'm currently using Error Diffusion Option 2 with the two above ticked...

Is it cleaner without using them?

I only ticked them as a tutorial on the web said to tick both
Did you miss the parts that say "subjectively increases noise" and "increases chroma noise"?

Tutorials are nice and all but we all run different rigs, got different visions(8% of men are colorblind at different levels) and personal tastes.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 14:06   #38922  |  Link
AntonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
You don't understand how reclock works. Your refresh rate has to be the same as the movie for perfect playback. AFAIK, only intel can do perfect 23.976. With nvidia, you get 24hz or 23.971. Reclock will speed the move up to 24 and match the audio. 23.971 or 24hz makes no difference, you still are not matching the video and reclock will do the work. In the madvr display, you will see one frame drop or repeat like once every 8 hours or more if reclock is doing its job.
I understand it )) afaik both ATI and intel (new models) do correct 23.976.

The only difference with 23.971 and 24 display's refresh rates is that with 24Hz + reclocked 23.976 video i have no visiable drops (one in 20-40 hours is not a problem for me).
I want to use the same trick in 3D, but i cant do this becouse of absense of 24 (48)Hz option.
AntonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 14:15   #38923  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
No, you'll need to test that for yourself "playing with the settings" is kind of a requirement to get the best (in your opinion) from it.
Yes, but how do i know what the HD 530 graphics can handle? Is it just basically if the CPU gets maxed out?
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 14:20   #38924  |  Link
strumf666

You mean the GPU?
Usually at GPU load ~70% and above dropped frames start occurring; it's quite visible to the eye, but you can check the OSD (ctrl+j) for dropped frames counter.

Last edited by strumf666; 27th July 2016 at 14:24.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 14:21   #38925  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonP View Post
I understand it )) afaik both ATI and intel (new models) do correct 23.976.

The only difference with 23.971 and 24 display's refresh rates is that with 24Hz + reclocked 23.976 video i have no visiable drops (one in 20-40 hours is not a problem for me).
I want to use the same trick in 3D, but i cant do this becouse of absense of 24 (48)Hz option.
You would have no visible drops with 23.971 with reclock either. I've been using it this way for years. You may have to clean out the timings in reclock config so it can learn the 23.971 refresh rate. As far as I know for 3d, you get 23.971 with Nvidia. I tried making a custom refresh rate with nvidia and the 3d got amazingly messed up. I gave up on the Nvidia at this point as I'd like to be able to try DTSX and Atmos and they need to bitstream with 23.976.
Old 27th July 2016, 14:22   #38926  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
You mean the GPU?
How would I know if the GPU gets maxxed out? I assume the CPU will start maxxing out if the GPU can't handle it? Sorry, I've never really played with this much even though I've been using madvr for years. I set it to some low settings as my old GT430 wasn't very powerful.
Old 27th July 2016, 14:28   #38927  |  Link
strumf666

I edited my first reply for more info&clarity. You can use a program like gpuz for gpu load or any other (there are many), but you don't actually need that, because massive frame drops are easily visible, for minor you can use the OSD (ctrl+j) which has a dropped frames counter.
Your assumption isn't entirely correct, because CPU and GPU aren't fully interchagable in regards to the work madVR requires and even then the GPU is usually much more powerful.

Last edited by strumf666; 27th July 2016 at 14:32.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 18:22   #38928  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonP View Post
I cant agree with you. For perfect playback with no dropped or repeated frames monitor's refresh rate (from nvidia) and movie's fps should be exactly the same.
Reclock makes 24fps movie from 23.976 and with 24Hz (madvr 1080p24 mode) displays refresh rate the picture is perfect! With 1080p23 mode (23.971 from nvidia) there are dropped frames. That's all about 2D. In 3D nvidia panel or windows display properties has both 23p and 24p modes, but madvr doesnt let me choose! There is not such an option in display modes smth like "1080p3D24p" ((

PS Reclock works with bitstream audio with now problems!
I believe ReClock works on the audio alone, speeding it up or slowing it down to match the display refresh rate. madVR can change the speed of a 25 fps video to 24 fps. ReClock would then slow down the audio by the same amount.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 18:33   #38929  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I believe ReClock works on the audio alone, speeding it up or slowing it down to match the display refresh rate. madVR can change the speed of a 25 fps video to 24 fps. ReClock would then slow down the audio by the same amount.
No reclock changes the video speed and then resamples the audio to match. Reclock by itself will slowdown 25 to 24p, I've used that feature many times. i'm not sure exactly what madvr is doing with that. I suppose that function is if you use madvr to automatically select the refresh rate.
Old 27th July 2016, 18:38   #38930  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Ok, last post on the gtx1060 / rx480 topic, let's get back to madvr: (you can write me some pm if you got questions)

here is my upgraded comparison:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-...ison.xlsx.html
So, is Pascal better in madVR from Maxwell or did the RX 480 take a step back from the previous AMD hardware? Or, maybe both?

In the past an AMD card that got beat by a given Nvidia card in games could equal or beat it with madVR. Like a GTX 960 had about 10% better render times in madVR than a R7 260x, but the GTX 960 would be like 50% ahead in games compared to the R7 260x. The AMD cards tended to have a lot more shader/compute power for the price that didn't seem to get reflected in game performance. Now, the RX 480 and the GTX 1060 are effectively tied in madVR (averaging your results for all test cases), and their gaming performance is fairly comparable with DX11 leaning GTX 1060 and DX12/Vulkan leaning RX 480.

The GTX 960 had about 10% more FLOPS than the R7 260x and was about 10% faster in madVR. But, the RX 480 has 50% more FLOPS than the GTX 1060, but isn't any faster at madVR?

I was hoping to buy a RX 480 to upgrade my HTPC from an R9 380, but I'm not sure it's really much faster.

Last edited by Stereodude; 27th July 2016 at 18:40.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 19:39   #38931  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Are you mentioning here not to have ticked "Use coloured noise" and "change dither for every frame"

Im currently using Error Diffusion Option 2 with the two above ticked...

Is it cleaner without using them?

I only ticked them as a tutorial on the web said to tick both
I also much prefer them both disabled but that is on a very different screen, 27" 2560x1440 or a 1080p Plasma, so you will have to judge for yourself. I quite dislike chroma noise though.

I agree with ryrynz too, max NNEDI3 64 for chroma. I actually use Reconstruction soft + SR1 for chroma, or sometimes NNEDI3 32.
Old 27th July 2016, 22:29   #38932  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
I edited my first reply for more info&clarity. You can use a program like gpuz for gpu load or any other (there are many), but you don't actually need that, because massive frame drops are easily visible, for minor you can use the OSD (ctrl+j) which has a dropped frames counter.
Your assumption isn't entirely correct, because CPU and GPU aren't fully interchagable in regards to the work madVR requires and even then the GPU is usually much more powerful.
Yes, this is the problem. I found a couple of pages that show settings and I tried those and the GPU was just maxed at 100% and the video wouldn't play. So I reset to default. Thats why I was asking what are recommended settings for Intel HD 530.
Old 27th July 2016, 23:08   #38933  |  Link
imhh11

Hi everyone.
Is it normal that the only way I can play ''Sony_4K_HDR_Camp'' in HDR is when i set madvr chroma upscaling to ''Bilinear'' ? Everything else doesnt work.
My gpu is the new GTX1070. Had the same problem with my GTX960

Other HDR demo like '' Eldorado_HDR1000_PQ_P3_4K.mp4 '' work without issue.

imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 23:27   #38934  |  Link
ShiftyFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Ok, thank you for your explanation. What values are you using with Crispen Edges and Enhance Detail?
For movies\tvshows CE@0.6-0.7 ED@0.8-0.9, anime\cartoons usually go with CE@1.5-2 ED@1.2 and chroma upscaling changed to nnedi32 with SR for chroma turned off, sometimes I turn on Thin Edges, in particular for SD cartoons\anime but it depends on the file and how i feel how it looks
ShiftyFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 23:51   #38935  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I agree with ryrynz too, max NNEDI3 64 for chroma. I actually use Reconstruction soft + SR1 for chroma, or sometimes NNEDI3 32.
NNEDI3 for chroma is nice indeed, 32 or 64 neurons are good choices if you have the performance to spare.

Hopefully not to bring begin a chroma discussion yet again here.. but I'd totally recommend you evaluate super-xbr 100 and 125 AR in comparison to Recon soft + SR1. I've never been a fan of any of the Reconstruction options especially all the sharp and placebo options (which I think should be be removed because of how bad they are) but Recon even with the improvement of SR1 still looks rather messy in comparison to super-xbr. Not only that, changing will save some performance too. If you find anything you feel Recon + SR1 looks better on than super-xbr please feel free to share it but personally I've found nothing other than NNEDI3 to rival it.

Also, I question allowing SuperRes up beyond a strength of two (or maybe even one) on chroma, it produces some fairly nasty artifacts even on the softest upscalers.
Perhaps madshi could consider having super-res just as a tick box with a strength setting of one? Does anyone actually use anything higher? If so perhaps I could assist you with considering IMO better options.

Last edited by ryrynz; 28th July 2016 at 00:03.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 00:46   #38936  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
NNEDI3 for chroma is nice indeed, 32 or 64 neurons are good choices if you have the performance to spare.

Hopefully not to bring begin a chroma discussion yet again here.. but I'd totally recommend you evaluate super-xbr 100 and 125 AR in comparison to Recon soft + SR1. I've never been a fan of any of the Reconstruction options especially all the sharp and placebo options (which I think should be be removed because of how bad they are) but Recon even with the improvement of SR1 still looks rather messy in comparison to super-xbr. Not only that, changing will save some performance too. If you find anything you feel Recon + SR1 looks better on than super-xbr please feel free to share it but personally I've found nothing other than NNEDI3 to rival it.

Also, I question allowing SuperRes up beyond a strength of two (or maybe even one) on chroma, it produces some fairly nasty artifacts even on the softest upscalers.
Perhaps madshi could consider having super-res just as a tick box with a strength setting of one? Does anyone actually use anything higher? If so perhaps I could assist you with considering IMO better options.
Well Ive tested and tested so much material over the past weeks and only yesterday came to a final conclusion... And Im really happy!

Ive found so much stuff going on in the background of the image especially since mine is huge compared to a TV. 146" wide scope screen shows up everything...Ive tested so many features and always could see artifacts moving round in the background, I never knew what features were doing it as I had so many engaged. I thought since madvr was feature rich that the more you used the better the image might be, more fool me....

I turned everything off and started from scratch, just one on at a time.... And watched up close to the screen....

I have finally decided (for me) that using a very large screen the less features one uses the cleaner the image..

So this is all Im going to use and the image now is as clean as a whistle, sharp and detailed with no artefacts moving round in the background.

Very simple settings for me are now the order of the day, even though Im using the 1080 card.

Image Enhancements:
sharpen edges 0.5
crispen edges 0.5
enhance detail 0.5
AR ticked

Chroma upscaling NNEDI3 64 neurons

Image upscaling Jinc AR and Sig light ON

Dithering Error Diffusion Option 2

Basically that's all Im using now, Ive turned everything else off and finally Im over the moon with a sharp, detailed and artefact free image, its wonderful. These settings make my JVC X9000 proj display a clean and really amazing image on BD rips.

Last edited by 70MM; 28th July 2016 at 00:50.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 00:58   #38937  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
These settings make my JVC X9000 proj display a clean and really amazing image on BD rips.
Sounds pretty good to me. Don't forget to uncheck all the trade quality for performance options, evaluate whether smooth motion helps at all, (probably not with a projector?) and look into whether debanding is useful for anything you watch (probably not) along with removing ringing artifacts (which I find especially useful with lower resolution anime)
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 04:28   #38938  |  Link
SpoCk0nd0pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
The GTX 960 had about 10% more FLOPS than the R7 260x and was about 10% faster in madVR. But, the RX 480 has 50% more FLOPS than the GTX 1060, but isn't any faster at madVR?

I was hoping to buy a RX 480 to upgrade my HTPC from an R9 380, but I'm not sure it's really much faster.
GTX 960 is based on Kepler which is a really shitty architecture if you try anything other then rasterize polygons.

The stock RX480 throttles due to thermal issues like most recent blower cooled AMD cards.

nVidia is gaining ground in fixing their architecture because they noticed that neglecting shader power is a bad move for most workloads.

GCN's features are sadly pretty hard to use. GLSL and openCL do not provide all the features needed, so you waste some of those theoretical TFlops. Some of the GCN 1.2 features are probably not even beneficial for the madvr shaders.

I wouldn't upgrade, you probably won't notice too much of a difference. If you still want the extra power, wait for the aftermarket coolers. Sapphire has been consistently good with cooling AMD cards in the past few years, but there are small differences each generation. Stay away from Gigabyte, imho they apply too much voltage just for binning.
SpoCk0nd0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 07:48   #38939  |  Link
ionutm80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
That's strange, it shouldn't work like this.

No. There's no doubling is used unless: do you have Smooth Motion enabled? If so, then disable it, you don't need it at all if display refresh rate is really close to the origin fps.

No, it's not normal, and you do everything well.
This is how I use 29.97/30 fps content with 60Hz (in PC mode: it treats chroma differently).
Hi, I have re-installed madVR from scratch, reset settings to default and now the stats are showing only 1 repeat frame every xx minutes but the counter for repeated frames is still increasing while the movie plays. See below:

http://i.imgur.com/8GUWUzp.jpg

And yes smooth motion is off.

I have also attached:

- display modes input in madVR:

http://i.imgur.com/S5B8inw.jpg

- screen refresh rates allowed by the GPU (Intel HD 44000):

http://i.imgur.com/jo1dvkr.jpg

- MediaInfo detail of the video stream I'm trying to play (MPEG2 stream in mkv container ripped from PAL DVD with makeMKV)

http://i.imgur.com/8mAgURa.jpg

Again for Blu-Ray rips (23,976 H.264 High 4.1 in mkv container also ripped with makeMKV) everything seems to be fine.

I really don't understand what is happening.

Last edited by ionutm80; 28th July 2016 at 07:52.
ionutm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 08:02   #38940  |  Link
huhn

the 720x576 files says it is progressive but top field first.

and madVR get's the information of 50 fps but the file has only 25.
if it is deinterlanced first what deinterlancer is used it is clearly not madVr DXVA deinterlancing.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling