Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th November 2017, 23:51   #47381  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I have an issue with HPET enabled in OS and HPET disabled in OS...madvr shows 2 different refresh rates, with HPET in OS, (unfortunally can't disable in bios)...madvr shows 72.003 HZ refresh rate, when it is disabled in OS, it shows 72.004 HZ. I can't tell which one is the accurate one...
Also when it is stopped in OS, reclock adjusts itself after every PC boot, when it is ON in OS, reclock is adjusting only once after reboot, and then it is always green, no time how many restarts I make.

Last edited by Siso; 27th November 2017 at 23:54.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 01:08   #47382  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
I know this is nooby but i've two questions, i use mpc be, lav and madvr.

Now, i think this is some sort of zoom settings in the madvr settings. I'm watching a move right now, i'm on 16:9 monitor and movie is 1:85,1. So i've a little black bars on top and bottom, just a few pixel.

1- In some scenes there are the records of an old camera, just a vertical image showed and black bars left and right. During these scenes the video is fitting the screen, like zooming, to perfectly 16:9. Just to turn back when the scene ends. Why? What options take me to achieve this?

2- In zoom control in madvr can you explain to me what the option "disable scaling if image size changes by only:". I'm newbie :/

Thanks!
Anyone can calrify this to me? Thanks!
Old 28th November 2017, 01:28   #47383  |  Link
ryrynz

I think most voted to remove double again simply because we don't use it and probably taking your word for double again being inferior on all accounts. This may not be so cut and dry especially with HD images rather than small photos.

Might be better for it to stay.
Have u guys tested with sharpening on quadrupling yet for comparison?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 02:36   #47384  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I think most voted to remove double again simply because we don't use it and probably taking your word for double again being inferior on all accounts. This may not be so cut and dry especially with HD images rather than small photos.

Having read the posts for the past day or so on this subject, I have to agree that this doesn't seem as cut and dry as some of us may have thought. I would opt to leave it until this can be sorted out, as well.
Old 28th November 2017, 04:22   #47385  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I have tested sharpening, it works for the difference in sharpness but not the double edge look. However, even double again has double edge artifacts with content that does that, it is less obvious but I would still want to use NGU AA instead.

I think the double edge is in the source, a UHD image that when downscaled 50% looked like the source would have weird double edges. The edge has a faint line in the center, probably an artifact from sharpening (ringing from both sides of the edge), which is emphasised by NGU Sharp. I don't think it is an artifact from NGU itself because too many sources do not show it at all.
Old 28th November 2017, 04:24   #47386  |  Link
ABDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you provide some screenshots (only the original small image suffices)?
sorry for late replay, a have a hard day.
Ok, here some screenshots
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124805
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124814
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124815
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124816

screenshots sours
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dws1bg...ots++sours.rar

it is little bit diffrent as i said.
Quote:
Are you sure that double high + double medium is faster for you than direct quad high? That seems surprising to me.
ops, this is my big mistake (direct quad high) faster than (double high + double medium) for 1 or .5 ms, seem like ffdshow make unfunny stuff some times.

then i think that we can remove "double again" especially the diffrent visual between them hardly noticed.

edit
well, i had serious tests today, madshi i think double again is Power point in madvr, and we ( and madvr) will lose it if it removed,but definitely you are the boss.

Last edited by ABDO; 28th November 2017 at 22:26.
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 06:42   #47387  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Someone went a bit crazy with the sharpening on that.
Hey madshi, super serious request, shoehorn awarpsharp into MadVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Double again looks quite good to me here, really brings out the finer details and looks more alive so to speak, most noticeably the jacket and facial features.

Last edited by ryrynz; 28th November 2017 at 08:46.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 20:12   #47388  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
To wet your appetite, here's what I'm working on: I'm trying to fuse "NGU Sharp" + "Reduce Compression Artifacts" into one. Well, not really, but partially. Uhm. Ok. So if you don't use NGU Sharp, everything will stay as it is now. But if you activate both NGU Sharp + Reduce Compression Artifacts at the same time, basically RCA will come for free. So you get a nice speed reward for combining NGU Sharp + RCA. However, you can still use both separately, of course.

First results seem promising. I'll need your tests to check if there's any quality loss when using the fused algorithm instead of doing both separately. I hope there'll be no quality loss, but I'll let you test it, once it's ready to go. Maybe ready next weekend, maybe the weekend after that, but probably no later then 14 days from now.

For a start, it will only be available for NGU Sharp, maybe I'll also offer it for NGU Standard/Soft/AA, don't know yet. It's all a lot of work, so...
It's a great idea but why did you choose NGU Sharp? It's not a very good algo for bad quality videos, NGU AA is a better choice in this case and I think that RCA is mainly aimed to this type of videos. Do you think that RCA combined with NGU Sharp woul provide a good alternative for these videos? Not criticizing at all, just asking.

Quote:
1) Do we need "double again/twice" for NGU Sharp/Standard/Soft? Or is everybody happy with "direct quadruple"? I'd really like to remove the "double again" option, because it's dramatically bad for performance and IMHO also looks worse. But here's your chance to object, before I remove it.
Very happy with "direct quadruple"! Like you said, "double again/twice" is really bad for performance. By the way, I hope to see "direct quadruple" for NGU AA if it's possible one day

Quote:
2) Anybody still using NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling? If so, is there a good reason why you prefer it over NGU AA? I'd really like to remove NNEDI3 chroma upscaling, because it's simply worse than NGU AA, IMHO, and slower, so removing the option should be all good, and make the settings dialog simpler.
No, remove it. NGU AA is a better choice.

Quote:
3) Anybody still using NNEDI3 for image upscaling? If so, is there a good reason why you prefer it over NGU AA? I've recently seen an image comparison where NGU AA Medium was significantly better than NNEDI3-128 (sharper, more detailed *and* more natural), so I really wonder if there's any need for NNEDI3, anymore?
No, remove it too
Old 29th November 2017, 18:06   #47389  |  Link
Blackwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
My opinion is that NNEDI3 can go the way of the dodo.
same here
Blackwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 18:42   #47390  |  Link
Skwelcha
<(ovO)>

Wanted to report a minor bug in madhccontrol v0.92.9, when I set my A/V receiver to "receiver, processor, switch" and the display connected as well to receiver, I get "An error occured in madvr" with the attached log when I try to open the display modes port on a different device. I know it's a weird thing to set in the first place but there's no display connected to my receiver that's why I set it that way... Obviously I just set the connected device back to digital display, just wanted to report my "finding".

I'm also voting for removing nndedi and doubling again/twice.
Attached Files
File Type: txt madVR - crash report.txt (23.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 29th November 2017, 19:20   #47391  |  Link
kalston

I haven't used NNEDI3 in a long time either. Certainly wouldn't miss it now that we have several very good (and much faster!) NGU options. Not sure about doubling twice, been using 4x all this time and didn't think there would really be any difference besides performance. The posted screenshots are interesting though, I guess I should give it a closer look but it seems very minor and I can't decide which I like better with those specific examples.

Been really happy with NGU sharp lately (used standard or AA for a long while). It's suitable for pretty much all I watch. I've also found that supersampling (with NGU sharp of course) actually does a lot of good on the 1080p 27" monitor I have now (for 720p sources and DVDs). On my (now defective) 1440p/27" display supersampling 1080p files (or DVDs) was a complete waste of resources on the other hand. Could just be because the pixels are bigger so I can see the difference better (my sitting distance has not changed).
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 20:04   #47392  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Yes, there is, using F5 for different HDR->SDR conversion:
- pixel shader conversion is OK
- 3dlut conversion is Not (image is much darker)

PrintScreen in Windowed mode works fine for both of them.
Quote:
Can you give me a few more details. How is 3dlut conversion not ok? Is the 3dlut not applied for the screenshot? Or is it applied incorrectly? What happens if you disable the 3dlut? Are F5 and PrintScreen identical then for SDR movies?
Here are the screenshot made on a 120 nits, 2.2 gamma, SDR 3dlut calibrated monitor:
- 3dlut : HDR->SDR 3dlut conversion
- pixel: pixel shader conversion
- madvr-decide: using the "let madVR decide" option

Using F5 in FSE mode (with MPC-BE):
hdr-sdr-3dlut-fse-f5 | hdr-sdr-pixel-fse-f5 | hdr-sdr-madvr-decide-fse-f5

Using PrintScreen in Windowed mode:
hdr-sdr-3dlut-window-PS | hdr-sdr-pixel-window-PS | hdr-sdr-madvr-decide-window-PS
Old 29th November 2017, 21:19   #47393  |  Link
Nyago123

Quote:
Interesting. But why not stick to 385.xx until the issue if fixed?
Yeah, I found it interesting that on my system HDR switching behavior varied between players, though as I'm sure most everyone knows that component installation configuration (splitter, renderer, etc) can vary as well even within one system.

It's not really all that much of an inconvenience when I factor that 99% of content is still SDR, and the Win 10 system I'm using is doubling as a game machine so I prefer having the latest drivers. Taking a few seconds to play with the Windows HDR toggle switch when things go wrong is annoying but it's a First World Problem... lol.

If I were that concerned, I'd probably take your advice and go with Win 8.1 in a dual boot, using the 8.1 when I want to do HTPC and Win 10 otherwise but I'm just too lazy.

Last edited by Nyago123; 29th November 2017 at 21:29.
Nyago123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 00:07   #47394  |  Link
Randi

BSOD testing custom modes

after googling, looking through madshis bugtracker and searching here didn't find anything: anybody has an idea why when I try to test a custom mode (nothing fancy, just the currently active one anyway) I always get a BSOD with "unexpected kernel mode trap"?
trying to get rid of reclock :-)
nvidia 1030 directly connected to a 4k hdr tv, driver version 385.29 (as recommended)
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 03:23   #47395  |  Link
Gopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
It's a great idea but why did you choose NGU Sharp? It's not a very good algo for bad quality videos, NGU AA is a better choice in this case and I think that RCA is mainly aimed to this type of videos. Do you think that RCA combined with NGU Sharp woul provide a good alternative for these videos? Not criticizing at all, just asking.
)
For most of my anime, NGU Very Sharp (image upscale) + RCA High, provide, images, that look sharper & also, free of artifacts, vs NGU AA (need more sharpening refinements). Mostly, average to good quality anime, though. High-quality images: NGU Very sharp + RCA High. I will test with lower quality anime (NGU AA + RCA High), to see if this is preferable (to me). Both, NGU Sharp & NGU AA, combined with RCA, would probably be nice, I guess, especially, for "other than anime" videos (?). Looking forward, to combined, NGU Very Sharp + RCA High, first, for most of my anime, at least. I do, usually, use NGU AA, for chroma upscale. Am I missing something?
Gopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 10:29   #47396  |  Link
EmuAGR

I've been trying to enable HDR but it didn't work, my TV doesn't change to HDR mode and colors look really poor. My current setup is Windows 7 x64 + AMD RX 580 + MPC-HC + LAV 0.70.2 + madVR 0.92.9 .
I've checked passthrough and metadata (for the TV), exclusive mode and D3D11 rendering options.

I've tried everything I saw online with no luck.

Last edited by EmuAGR; 1st December 2017 at 02:12.
EmuAGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 10:38   #47397  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuAGR View Post
I've been trying to enable HDR but it didn't work, my TV doesn't change to HDR mode and colors look really poor. My current setup is Windows 7 x64 + AMD RX 580 + MPC-HC+ LAV 0.70.2 + madVR 0.92.9 .
I've checked passthrough and metadata (for the TV), exclusive mode and D3D11 rendering options.

I've tried everything I saw online with no luck.
With an AMD card you'll probably need Windows 10 for HDR, because madVR only supports HDR passthrough using the NVIDIA API (on any OS) or the Windows 10 API. Unless I missed that this changed along the way..

Edit: Apparently it did change, read the bottom of the next post.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th November 2017 at 11:26.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 10:59   #47398  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I know this is nooby but i've two questions, i use mpc be, lav and madvr.

Now, i think this is some sort of zoom settings in the madvr settings. I'm watching a move right now, i'm on 16:9 monitor and movie is 1:85,1. So i've a little black bars on top and bottom, just a few pixel.

1- In some scenes there are the records of an old camera, just a vertical image showed and black bars left and right. During these scenes the video is fitting the screen, like zooming, to perfectly 16:9. Just to turn back when the scene ends. Why? What options take me to achieve this?
I'm confused about "1-". How can the video fit the screen to perfectly 16:9, if you have black bars left and right?

Quote:
2- In zoom control in madvr can you explain to me what the option "disable scaling if image size changes by only:".
If you have a movie with a resolution like 1919x1079 and play it on a 1920x1080 TV, then most media players by default ask madVR to scale 1919x1079 to 1920x1080, which is not really good for image quality, and wastes GPU power. So with this option activated, madVR will "override" the media player wish to have this video scaled up by 1 pixel and instead draw it unscaled, with a 1 pixel sized black bar at the right side and the bottom of the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
It's a great idea but why did you choose NGU Sharp? It's not a very good algo for bad quality videos, NGU AA is a better choice in this case and I think that RCA is mainly aimed to this type of videos. Do you think that RCA combined with NGU Sharp woul provide a good alternative for these videos?
One of the key reasons why NGU Sharp is not a good algo for bad quality videos is because of compression artifacts. So the combination of RCA + NGU Sharp seems a natural fit. There were also a number of users who reported that they switched from NGU AA to RCA + NGU Sharp.

But as I said, I may also try to create a fused version of RCA + NGU AA, but that's not decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwelcha View Post
Wanted to report a minor bug in madhccontrol v0.92.9, when I set my A/V receiver to "receiver, processor, switch" and the display connected as well to receiver, I get "An error occured in madvr" with the attached log when I try to open the display modes port on a different device. I know it's a weird thing to set in the first place but there's no display connected to my receiver that's why I set it that way... Obviously I just set the connected device back to digital display, just wanted to report my "finding".

I'm also voting for removing nndedi and doubling again/twice.
Attached stuff to this forum doesn't work, unfortunately, so please upload it somewhere else and then link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Here are the screenshot made on a 120 nits, 2.2 gamma, SDR 3dlut calibrated monitor:
- 3dlut : HDR->SDR 3dlut conversion
- pixel: pixel shader conversion
- madvr-decide: using the "let madVR decide" option

Using F5 in FSE mode (with MPC-BE):
hdr-sdr-3dlut-fse-f5 | hdr-sdr-pixel-fse-f5 | hdr-sdr-madvr-decide-fse-f5
Hmmmm... The 3dlut stuff is surprising. I'll check if I can reproduce it here. Which pixel shader conversion "display peak nits" value did you choose? I think with "let madVR decide" madVR uses 400nits. You've probably chosen a much lower value? That would explain the difference between "let madVR decide" and the pixel shader math option. FWIW, I'm planning to lower the default "display peak nits" value in a future version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyago123 View Post
If I were that concerned, I'd probably take your advice and go with Win 8.1 in a dual boot, using the 8.1 when I want to do HTPC and Win 10 otherwise but I'm just too lazy.
I never advised to use dual boot. If you have a pure HTPC, there's no reason to use Win10 at all. If you need Win10 for some reason, e.g. for DX12 games, then by all means, use Win10 instead of Win8.1. You may suffer a bit, but that's how it is. You can still fix the HDR problems by using an older driver, as has been suggested about a million times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi View Post
after googling, looking through madshis bugtracker and searching here didn't find anything: anybody has an idea why when I try to test a custom mode (nothing fancy, just the currently active one anyway) I always get a BSOD with "unexpected kernel mode trap"?
trying to get rid of reclock :-)
nvidia 1030 directly connected to a 4k hdr tv, driver version 385.29 (as recommended)
A BSOD is almost always the fault of a driver. In this case most probably the GPU driver. I'd suggest that you try installing a different driver version. I'm sorry, but there's not much else I can suggest here. As you wrote yourself: Nobody else has reported this issue, so it seems specific to your PC somehow. Most probably some sort of installation/configuration issue with your OS. If all else fails, an OS reinstall could possibly fix it (but is a lot of work). With a bit of luck just reinstalling the GPU drivers, or installing a different GPU driver version may fix it. If you have extra bad luck, it could be a GPU BIOS or hardware issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuAGR View Post
I've been trying to enable HDR but it didn't work, my TV doesn't change to HDR mode and colors look really poor. My current setup is Windows 7 x64 + AMD RX 580 + MPC-HC+ LAV 0.70.2 + madVR 0.92.9 .
Please upload a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl+J), when playing HDR content, to some image sharing host and link to the image here (don't attach here, doesn't work).

I'm not completely sure if the AMD HDR API supports Windows 7, but I think it should. Do you have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
With an AMD card you'll probably need Windows 10 for HDR, because madVR only supports HDR passthrough using the NVIDIA API (on any OS) or the Windows 10 API. Unless I missed that this changed along the way..
Actually, I've added support for a private AMD HDR API a while ago, so it should work with AMD in Windows 8, maybe also in Windows 7. However, the AMD API has some extra annoying requirements: It only works in fullscreen mode (doesn't have to be exclusive, though), and D3D11 presentation must be used with 10bit backbuffer.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 12:41   #47399  |  Link
mclingo

anyone else getting a black screen on latest MADVR, dropping back to previous version fixes, I get this playing all movies.

note, i've just updated to windows 10 fall creators update, i'd removed it due to instability with BSOD and gfx drivers, thought i'd trying it again with latest releases.

Latest LAV seems ok but i'm having to drop back to a previous MADRV, sorry not with my PC at the moment so cant tell you which version is working for me.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 12:56   #47400  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
anyone else getting a black screen on latest MADVR, dropping back to previous version fixes, I get this playing all movies.

note, i've just updated to windows 10 fall creators update, i'd removed it due to instability with BSOD and gfx drivers, thought i'd trying it again with latest releases.

Latest LAV seems ok but i'm having to drop back to a previous MADRV, sorry not with my PC at the moment so cant tell you which version is working for me.
This has been reported before. The Fall Creators Update and Full Screen Exclusive mode do not work well together. In fact, they don't work at all.

Before madshi jumps in and tells you to go back to Win 8.1 , let me suggest you use full screen windowed mode instead. You probably don't absolutely need FSE.

Last edited by jkauff; 30th November 2017 at 12:59.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling