Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th September 2017, 04:39   #1  |  Link
alitech

Setting up my HTPC from scratch

Hi all

Hope you all are doing well. I am in a bit of a pickle. I built my HTPC software experience using Ezoden's guide which used to be located at http://www.ezoden.com/684/tutorial-htpc

This site is no longer active and I am trying to find the author so I can offer to host the site for him free of charge, it was great and I used it twice to get my settings in order.

I have recently rebuilt my pc and I want to get hold of the tutorial once again. Is there anyone who still has access to the tutorial or a similar one that I could use?

I would really appreciate any help that you guys can give me.

Thanks.
alitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 08:09   #2  |  Link
MokrySedeS
I am the one who knocks

http://web.archive.org/web/201412190.../tutorial-htpc
MokrySedeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 08:17   #3  |  Link
Dorohedoro

That tutorial is out of date, it's better to make a new one from scratch.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 20:45   #4  |  Link
alitech

Thank you MokrySedeS and Dorohedoro

@Dorohedoro, are you aware of a more up to date version of a similar tutorial anywhere?

It would be best to get all the information in one go which this tutorial did provide. Tips, techniques, software to download with URLs, settings for each profile including 4K and Nvidia settings.

Much appreciated.
Old 10th September 2017, 16:32   #5  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitech View Post
Thank you MokrySedeS and Dorohedoro

@Dorohedoro, are you aware of a more up to date version of a similar tutorial anywhere?

It would be best to get all the information in one go which this tutorial did provide. Tips, techniques, software to download with URLs, settings for each profile including 4K and Nvidia settings.

Much appreciated.
No mate, I'm sorry. Actually, a tutorial like that right now will be a little bit too hard to do because madshi, for example, is adding a lot of things all the time. A tutorial can be done of course, but the guy doing it will have to keep up with all the updates (the new custom resolution feature of madvr has its own tutorial, imagine that!), and even so, what works for your setup maybe will not be the best for other users.

So, the best is you to configure all the options slowly and asking along the way if you don't know what to do, it's the best way for you (you will learn) and for your setup (you will get a better setup for your equipment).

For example, the first step in your case should be to install the lav filters, a player of your choice and of course, madvr. And if you are starting from scratch, you should use win8.1, it's the best for madvr right now (I'm using win7 and I happy with it).
Old 11th September 2017, 10:02   #6  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Easy tutorial.
You install MPC-HC (or BE), LAV FIlters and madVR.
You change settings in MPC to your liking, then you're good to go.

And if you really have time to improve image quality, you might want to go in madVR options, and learn more with this: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171787

NO, there are no way to have optimal settings without reading a lot (and then you need time).
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 12:18   #7  |  Link
alitech

Appreciate your responses guys.

I will have a go.

Dohedoro, why not Windows 10? I am on Windows 10 and really would like to stay on it.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:43   #8  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Win10 is fine ;-)
Old 12th September 2017, 14:01   #9  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post

For example, the first step in your case should be to install the lav filters, a player of your choice and of course, madvr. And if you are starting from scratch, you should use win8.1, it's the best for madvr right now (I'm using win7 and I happy with it).
i think you are wrong
madvr need Windows 10 Creators Update to make some important features work
exmple : https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=44714
Old 12th September 2017, 17:33   #10  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I think he just paraphrased Madshi, who said 8.1 was the recommended OS for multimedia PC (for now ?).
But nothing prevents you to use Windows 10, especially if you prefer to be with recent updates/OS. Anyhow, sooner or later, Win 8.1 will be dropped by MS, nVidia etc.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 17:39   #11  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
I think he just paraphrased Madshi, who said 8.1 was the recommended OS for multimedia PC (for now ?).
But nothing prevents you to use Windows 10, especially if you prefer to be with recent updates/OS. Anyhow, sooner or later, Win 8.1 will be dropped by MS, nVidia etc.
You are totally right.

Tags
htpc, mpc hc