Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th March 2011, 00:48   #1  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Announcing the release of Zoom Player v8 RC1

Hi Everyone!

We're finally ready to release Zoom Player v8 RC1.

For the first time since v5, we are releasing a FREE version of Zoom Player.
The new version is called "Zoom Player Home FREE" and it's probably the most powerful and customizable free media player for the Windows PC.

Upgrade notes:
Since this is not the final version, the navigation interface skins currently available for download have not been updated and are missing a few files which you can copy over from the "Drapes" directory.

What's the difference between versions (FREE/Pro/MAX)?
Check out the Feature comparison chart.

Download:
Click here to download Zoom Player v8 RC1

What's new in v8.00 RC1:
It was too long to post in full within this thread, so I've put up a web page here.

P.S.
We have a few more items up for grab soon, a variant of the drapes nav, HD resolution background images and more. Stay tuned.
Old 18th March 2011, 01:38   #2  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Requesting portable version (no installer, zip/7zip, config stored in program directory). Thanks
Old 19th March 2011, 02:53   #3  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Mr. Duck:
If you do a legacy install and turn-on the feature to save the current setting to a local file, you get that (just copy the install directory).
Old 24th March 2011, 01:47   #4  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

That does still make changes to the registry and add Add/Remove program entry etc. Is quite annoying. The exe could simply have an unpack option in place of the legacy one.
Old 24th March 2011, 05:43   #5  |  Link
mata7

why add facebook crap for?
mata7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 12:49   #6  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Free edition ? Great news ! I'll test it asap.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 13:52   #7  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I've tested the free edition:
- is it possible to auto-zoom ? I mean, no black bar in full screen mode ? With MPC-HC, you can use settings "touch window from outside". What's the equivalent in ZP ? I can't find it. Ideally I'd like it be a post processing filter (auto-crop to fit resolution), but ffdshow can't do that so...
- I use madVR. When I exit full screen, UI goes up left. Is it a normal behavior (madVR stuff) ? Because I dont' have this with MPC-HC.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:38   #8  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
If you do a legacy install and turn-on the feature to save the current setting to a local file, you get that (just copy the install directory).
I tried to enable that option to save config in a local file instead of the registry and it told me I would have to buy an upgrade version to do that!!! That sucks!!
Old 4th April 2011, 21:16   #9  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

pirlouy:
I believe you can do the auto-zoom with one of the FFDShow filters.
I'm using MadVR v0.49, not quite sure what you mean there, a screenshot would help.

mr.duck:
We can't have a fully portable version, there's licensing issues involved that force us to show (not only include) the License Agreement, hence the installer.
We may release a U3 version, which will be portable after v8 goes final.

mata7:
Well, we just load a facebook likebox in a web-browser component. It's mostly to get people to keep up with what's new with Zoom Player from within the program and as a way to get some awareness on social networking.
Old 4th April 2011, 22:58   #10  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
pirlouy:
I believe you can do the auto-zoom with one of the FFDShow filters.
Unfortunately, no; there's no autocrop function in ffdshow.
But for madshi, it's the media player which tells the renderer what it has to display. So it should be a function inside ZP. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does not want black bars (all hardware player has an option where you can choose letterbox or pan&scan).

Quote:
I'm using MadVR v0.49, not quite sure what you mean there, a screenshot would help.
I don't feel like upload a screenshot, it's just that when exiting full screen (go back to window), the window is at up left, whereas it should be at the same place when I entered Full screen just before.
But maybe it's a madVR bug, so if you dont' have this behavior, forget about it.
Old 5th April 2011, 00:13   #11  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
We can't have a fully portable version, there's licensing issues involved that force us to show (not only include) the License Agreement, hence the installer.
We may release a U3 version, which will be portable after v8 goes final.
Why not have an exe installer... show the licence... try to install search bar or wotever else... then ask 'normal installation or portable (unpack)'. If choose portable it just unpacks to desktop and puts a config file in with it and doesn't write to the registry.

U3 is junk. Portable means you can copy it to a computer and just run the damn thing. It doesn't mean it's just for keeping on a USB memory stick.
Old 5th April 2011, 20:54   #12  |  Link
Defcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
Why not have an exe installer... show the licence... try to install search bar or wotever else... then ask 'normal installation or portable (unpack)'. If choose portable it just unpacks to desktop and puts a config file in with it and doesn't write to the registry.

U3 is junk. Portable means you can copy it to a computer and just run the damn thing. It doesn't mean it's just for keeping on a USB memory stick.
I'm guessing because then you can just copy the portable folder to any other pc and it will run, thus defeating any licensing.

It does make sense - either the program has to check online for activation, or in registry. It cannot be fully self contained which is what you're asking for.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 22:05   #13  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

pirlouy:
There's a difference between Pan&Scan for DVDs and auto-cropping the picture.
And checking the FFDShow settings, there is a setting to auto-crop the image. It's under "Crop" in the "AutoCrop" box.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:58   #14  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
pirlouy:
There's a difference between Pan&Scan for DVDs and auto-cropping the picture.
Bah the goal is the same, no ?
pan&scan is a zoom then upscale
autocrop remove unused place, then you can upscale (I think it nees more ressources)

Quote:
And checking the FFDShow settings, there is a setting to auto-crop the image. It's under "Crop" in the "AutoCrop" box.
it does not work (crashes the player), but I don't think it did remove black bars...

But I don't want to bother you with my issue; sorry for hijacking thread, and thanks for this nice free version !
Old 6th April 2011, 00:42   #15  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I'm guessing because then you can just copy the portable folder to any other pc and it will run, thus defeating any licensing.

It does make sense - either the program has to check online for activation, or in registry. It cannot be fully self contained which is what you're asking for.
But there are already instruction on how to make it portable. Only thing is you have to install it first and it associates with some files which is a big irritation. Don't see what that problem is with just an unpack option. After I reinstall windows I am not going to even bother trying out zoom player or any softwares with no portable version. It always leaves a load of crap behind in different places after you try to uninstall it.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:20   #16  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

I've been using V8 RC1 for a while now with no issues.

It's the best video player I've used (and I own JRMC and use MPC-HC as well) - the filter manager is why I use it, it's extremely powerful.

(Blight, I did have to add a media sub type to get it to work, with AVC files I think - I always have to do that, with many versions now.)

(Edit: Blight, can you re-assign CTRL+R? It clashes with madVR. I've created a custom key file, but that's annoying for new users.)

Last edited by Mark_A_W; 6th April 2011 at 11:26.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 20:12   #17  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

mr.duck:
Sadly, we must put in registry items for file association during the install process and WinVISTA onwards no longer allows you to edit that section of the registry, even if you're signed in as admin.

Mark:
I've added a few sub-types in v8, which one is missing?
I can't change Ctrl+R, it will break too many things. This is the reason ZP contains a keyboard editor, most new users aren't aware of MadVR and those that are, shouldn't have a problem modifying ZP's keyboard mapping.
Heck, I'll go ahead and record a video tutorial and post it on YouTube in the next couple of hours.

P.S.,
I've been discussing with Madshi the possibility of making ZP's GUI fully compatible with MadVR's fullscreen exclusive mode (so you wont need to exit exclusive mode).
Hopefully it'll work out real well.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:40   #18  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

I'm stretching my memory here Blight..it was actually V7 on a new OS build a couple of weeks ago.

But I *think* I had to add either "{1AC0BEBD-4D2B-45AD-BCEB-F2C41C5E3788}" or "{31564343-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}" to the Matroska Splitter setting...but now I'm checking I'm realising that the Matroska Source is set to MPC Matroska Source with Splitter ticked...

I think I'd have to do a clean install to find out if this affects V8. So I withdraw my comment.

Sorry, I'm just confusing you.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 14:19   #19  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Well, we've added a new H.264 sub-type {31564343-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} to support CoreAVC 2.5.1, but other than that... no changes since v8RC1, but yes, v8RC1 did add another one or two sub-types over v7.

Tags
blu-ray, htpc, media player, zoom player