Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 9th March 2009, 12:47   #61  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
08.03.2009 1.5 -> 1.6
  • Added support to write SUPs (kinda experimental though, SupRip doesn't like'em). This included a major rework of the program's structure, so I hope I didn't break anything.
  • Rewrote upscaling function (bilinear: slower, but much better quality)
  • Fixed: half of the languages in the language selection box were not displayed
  • While I was at it, I sorted the lower part of the list alphabetically
thanks for your hard work.

i have tested somthing an found 0 errors.

In the Box "Mode" SUP->SUP better you call this SUP->DVD.SUP maybe

hubble

Last edited by hubblec4; 9th March 2009 at 12:51.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 17:01   #62  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
thanks for your hard work.
i have tested somthing an found 0 errors.
Ah, great. I feared I might have broken something that worked before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
In the Box "Mode" SUP->SUP better you call this SUP->DVD.SUP maybe
It's a "BD-SUP to BD-SUP" conversion actually. As discussed in the online help, it's meant to e.g. convert a BD-SUP from 1080p to 720p. Since BD-SUPs are the only SUPs supported by BDSUp2Sub, I thought this was pretty obvious. I'll edit the history though.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 17:49   #63  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:

It's a "BD-SUP to BD-SUP" conversion actually. As discussed in the online help, it's meant to e.g. convert a BD-SUP from 1080p to 720p. Since BD-SUPs are the only SUPs supported by BDSUp2Sub, I thought this was pretty obvious. I'll edit the history though.
ok. i understand. thats helpful for the BD-Copy_Community...

I test your new version again and when i found some bugs i report this...

hubble
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 20:50   #64  |  Link
avivahl

Great work!
avivahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 21:09   #65  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

The program works great .

I just have a little request, the option to resize subs to 1440x1080p, it's a Bluray compilant resolution helpful for movies too hard to compress at FullHD 1920x1080p (if you don't want to use 720p).

Thanks for your hard work.
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 22:43   #66  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquallMX View Post
I just have a little request, the option to resize subs to 1440x1080p, it's a Bluray compilant resolution helpful for movies too hard to compress at FullHD 1920x1080p (if you don't want to use 720p).
I might add this in the next release. But here's the one for today:

10.03.2009 1.6 -> 1.7
  • BDSup2Sub now also works from the command line. See online help for parameter description.
  • Some minor tweaks and correction here and there
  • Optimized RLE encoding for SUPs a little bit (two pixels of the same color don't use RLE code)
  • Tried to add some better (?) fake time stamps to the ODS/WDS/PDS/END packets.
Old 11th March 2009, 23:40   #67  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Me again...

11.03.2009 1.7 -> 1.8
  • Fixed bug in the palette conversion introduced in r1.6 that could lead to artefacts on the left side of the subpic (SUB/IDX export only)
  • Fixed wrong alpha threshold default in command line version (SUB/IDX export only)
  • Introduced new resolution 1440x1080
Old 12th March 2009, 02:16   #68  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Quote:
Me again...

11.03.2009 1.7 -> 1.8
  • Fixed bug in the palette conversion introduced in r1.6 that could lead to artefacts on the left side of the subpic (SUB/IDX export only)
  • Fixed wrong alpha threshold default in command line version (SUB/IDX export only)
  • Introduced new resolution 1440x1080
You're amazing, thanks for make this incredible program!!!
Old 13th March 2009, 13:52   #69  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

13.03.2009 1.8 -> 1.9
  • Added support for reading HD-DVD SUPs (I own only one HD-DVD, so chances are it won't work with many HD-DVDs)
  • The same selectable values appear in the ComboBox for source and target FPS (still can be edited)
  • Reworked online help a little bit (working Hyperlink to Doom9 thread and copy to clipboard functionality)
  • Renamed Mode/Format ComboBoxes to "Output Format" and "Output Resolution"
  • Fixed wrong display of target image size (introduced in r1.6)
Old 13th March 2009, 14:41   #70  |  Link
rack04

Does anyone have a sample m2ts with subs they wouldn't mind sharing?
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 15:10   #71  |  Link
turbojet

Thanks for the sup to sup conversion however I haven't gotten them to display while playing when muxing with tsmuxer. I've tested both resizing and not resizing, powerdvd 8 and mpc-hc. The sup I posted earlier also shows this issue. Could you look into this?

SupRip before the rewrite (I think it was 1.10 or earlier) handles these same sup files ok except some characters are skipped over and I gave up tweaking suprip after about 10 minutes. SupRip versions after rewrite crash on these files but I've seen this happen quite often with the later versions.

Also any chance of a wildcard string for input via command line?
e.g. java -jar bdsup2sub.jar C:\sups\* /res:720 would resize all sup files in C:\sups\ to 720 and adding 720 to each filename during output

rack04: there's an example .sup I posted in this thread from a full movie you can mux that with any video as a test if that's what you are looking for.

p.s. as megaupload seems to be gaining popularity is there any specific reason for preferring it with a silly captcha and wait times, which reminds me of old rapidshare without the speed limiting which raipdshare still has, over one without all this extra stuff like sendspace or mediafire?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 15:32   #72  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Thanks for the sup to sup conversion however I haven't gotten them to display while playing when muxing with tsmuxer. I've tested both resizing and not resizing, powerdvd 8 and mpc-hc. The sup I posted earlier also shows this issue. Could you look into this?
Indeed I fear that this is an issue of the PTS/DTS time stamps. While I would assume that all the image related data in the exported SUPs should be ok as should the PTS time stamps of the display start and stop commands packets (PCS), I kinda don't know how to recreate the PTS (and DTS?) time stamps of the other packets (WDS, PDS, ODS and so on). I don't really know why a Muxer would need these time stamps and can only assume that it's possible to detect the frame rate of the SUP stream via packet size/time stamp calculations. It's kinda weird though to not implement a fall back if this fails. It's no like HD-DVD-SUPs or SUB/IDX files would have this kind of information.

Quote:
SupRip before the rewrite (I think it was 1.10 or earlier) handles these same sup files ok except some characters are skipped over and I gave up tweaking suprip after about 10 minutes. SupRip versions after rewrite crash on these files but I've seen this happen quite often with the later versions.
All my trials with SupRip ended in SupRip simply ignoring my SUPs without the slightest hint why it does so. Any kind of output would help. Heck, I even tried to dig myself though these Delphi sources, but I couldn't even find a single line of code that seems to be related to BD-SUP decoding.

Quote:
Also any chance of a wildcard string for input via command line?
e.g. java -jar bdsup2sub.jar C:\sups\* /res:720 would resize all sup files in C:\sups\ to 720 and adding 720 to each filename during output
I'll put it on my list. I'd prefer a syntax like this though:

Code:
java -jar bdsup2sub.jar C:\sups\*.sup c:\sups\*_720.sup /res:720

Quote:
p.s. as megaupload seems to be gaining popularity is there any specific reason for preferring it with a silly captcha and wait times, which reminds me of old rapidshare without the speed limiting which raipdshare still has, over one without all this extra stuff like sendspace or mediafire?
There's no special reason to use MegaUpload apart from the fact that it seemed to be popular, simple and fast (enough). Any suggestions?
Old 13th March 2009, 16:18   #73  |  Link
turbojet

Maybe you could compare what BDSup2Sub at 720p outputs from the sup I uploaded earlier to what BD-Rebuilder outputs at 720p to help debug it? (beware that BD-Rebuilder has bad alignment while BDSup2Sub has good alignment)

Even a lot of retail sups I've tried crash the latest SupRip versions, have you tried SupRip 1.01 or earlier?

Your wildcard suggestion makes more sense.

Sendspace I prefer these days, it seems to have very good routing throughout the world and no captcha, wait, speed limit (it says it does but it doesn't), 300 MB max file size, basic online file manager and a standalone app that supposedly can resume and upload multiple files but I've never tried it.
Mediafire is another good one but it has a popup window, 100 MB file limit (if it ever matters), not the greatest routing, probably < 95% uptime, and it has just a basic online file manager. I've come across some other ones that are 'clean' but I can't remember the names.

Last edited by turbojet; 13th March 2009 at 16:20.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:53   #74  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Quote:
Maybe you could compare what BDSup2Sub at 720p outputs from the sup I uploaded earlier to what BD-Rebuilder outputs at 720p to help debug it? (beware that BD-Rebuilder has bad alignment while BDSup2Sub has good alignment)
I don't need to take that indirection as I can simply load any SUP, export it and compare both versions. Unfortunately, the matter is a little more complex than it might seem. See also here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145654

Besides, BD-Rebuilder cheats around this issue by not touching any important data at all. It only patches the screen size and offsets and doesn't even touch the image data. Since it doesn't change any package length with this attempt, it doesn't need to recalculate the PTS/DTS time stamps and simply copies them. Anyway, this of course means that the subtitles appear quite a bit larger in a downscaled 720p, because they are scaled up together with the video picture.

Quote:
Even a lot of retail sups I've tried crash the latest SupRip versions, have you tried SupRip 1.01 or earlier?
Apart from the fact that I mixed SubRip and SupRip, I think I know what crashes SupRip, but I honestly think that this is an issue with the RLE decoding there (accepts EOL only if the line is complete - which contradicts the idea of RLE compression). So while I think I could change my exports to satisfy SupRip, I'd rather see SupRip fixing this issue.

Last edited by 0xdeadbeef; 13th March 2009 at 21:54.
Old 14th March 2009, 06:50   #75  |  Link
turbojet

Yup BD Rebuilder texts are huge after resizing to 720p which is annoying, hopefully that's fixed soon.

Ya I agree that it's SupRip's responsibility to fix it as the issue goes way beyond BDSup2Sub output. My current fix is to not upgrade, unfortunately this is a fix that is becoming more and more common these days with various software.
Old 15th March 2009, 08:00   #76  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Quote:
13.03.2009 1.8 -> 1.9
  • Added support for reading HD-DVD SUPs (I own only one HD-DVD, so chances are it won't work with many HD-DVDs)
  • The same selectable values appear in the ComboBox for source and target FPS (still can be edited)
  • Reworked online help a little bit (working Hyperlink to Doom9 thread and copy to clipboard functionality)
  • Renamed Mode/Format ComboBoxes to "Output Format" and "Output Resolution"
  • Fixed wrong display of target image size (introduced in r1.6)
Hi, is this a bug?, MKVMerge fails to load some parts of the subtitles created with BDSup2Sub:

Original Sub:
http://rapidshare.com/files/209412308/BRSup.rar

IDX/VobSub:
http://rapidshare.com/files/209412099/VobSub.rar

MKVMerge Error Code:
Code:
Warning: spu_extraction_duration: Encountered broken SPU packet (next_off < start_off) at timecode 00:55:09.556. This packet might be displayed incorrectly or not at all.
Warning: spu_extraction_duration: Encountered broken SPU packet (next_off < start_off) at timecode 01:07:35.676. This packet might be displayed incorrectly or not at all.
Old 15th March 2009, 15:41   #77  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Same here.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145416
I thought it was an issue with mkvmerge.
It doesn't seem to affect playback though.
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 16:48   #78  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
Same here.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145416
I thought it was an issue with mkvmerge.
It doesn't seem to affect playback though.
In my case, subtitles for that timecode don't appear (if I load the subtitles has external subs in MPC they work fine), everything else works perfectly.
Old 15th March 2009, 19:17   #79  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Hm, I converted the "Spanish.sup" and loaded it into SubtitleCreator. Can't see any overlaps there. Can you? Does any other SUB/IDX tool display overlaps?

Then again, this problem might be related to the fact that BDSup2Sub currently is a little relaxed when it comes to creating time stamps. Indeed, BDSup2Sub currently doesn't care for the target frame rate and simply uses a millisecond time stamp, no matter what the output frame rate is.

A multiplexer might stumble over this as the timestamps (and display durations) are supposed to be multiples of a frame duration. If they are not, rounding up an end time and rounding down a start time to the next multiple of the frame duration might indeed lead to the same value of start and end. Which however is still no overlap.

Anyway, I already started reworking BDSup2Sub to always work with the 90KHz time ticks and synchronize the time stamps to the target frame rate. I'm not completely convinced though that this will resolve this issue in all cases (especially when there's also a speed up/down involved).
Old 16th March 2009, 17:08   #80  |  Link
rack04

I haven't had any luck converting .sup to .idx using the command line. Here is the command line that I'm using:

Code:
java -jar "C:\Program Files\BDSup2Sub\BDSup2Sub.jar" "C:\Personal\Videos\DELSCENE1.sup" "C:\Personal\Videos\DELSCENE1.idx" /lang:en /res:480
Using this command line I get ERROR: File C:\Personal\Videos\DELSCENE1.sup is not a valid BD SUP stream.

However if I use the user interface I'm able to convert the .sup to .idx no problem.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote