Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 1st December 2004, 08:51   #141  |  Link
lark
Regular User

yep, i knew about the possibility to replace by blank or imported,
but what i'd like to achieve is to delete the whole VOB & IFO.

e.g. i've a DVD that has VTST 1 & VTST 2.
VTST 1 contains just warnings, studio logos and stuff that i don't need.
so, i'd like to delete VTST 1 and 'rename' VTST 2 as VTST 1.
obviously i cannot just delete 1's VOBs & IFOs, because it violates the DVD spec. in addition i cannot just rename 02 VOBs & 02 IFOs to 01, because they are referenced in video manager.

obviously there are DVD's that have e.g. 6 VTSTs and from where i'd like to remove something from the middle (e.g. VTST 3).

so, i'd like to have an automated procedure for that. perhaps that already exists, but i just haven't found it...

regards
t
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2004, 09:48   #142  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

A question about how the Blank all VTST and Blank all VTSM macros in PgcEdit work:

I use these macros to save space on my disc before compressing a DVD9 to DVD5, so I use the "Replace all Menus/Titles with a blank frame" option. But what does the sub options about killing playback exactly mean? I know it's about converting post commands to pre commands, but I'm still not quite sure of the consequences of selecting one option instead of the other.

Does the "kill playback" term refer to skipping post/pre/cell commands or to setting the video playback time of the blanked Menu/Title to 0 seconds? Or both?

Lets say that I'm blanking out all titles in a VTS, which is in this example is only one title. The title had originally a video stream which played for say a minute. I want to make 100 % sure that when playing the DVD after blanking, I don't have to sit and look at a black screen for a minute...! Does it matter which of the three options I choose?
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2004, 10:01   #143  |  Link
lark
Regular User

@cons

i assume you refer with those three options to 3 option buttons under Replace all Titles by a black frame -option.

reading 2cool's guide, it debends on the content (are there cell cmds or not): if there are no cell cmds, 1st and 2nd option do the same and you never see the clip (you don't have to wait for a minute in front of black screen).
if you select the 3rd option (don't kill playback), you'll see the black frame, but i've no idea for how long (you can always try with a sw player before burning the disk...) ;-)

regards
t
Old 1st December 2004, 10:13   #144  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Ahh, ok, so it's a matter of skipping it totally or seing a black frame in millisecond? If the original, now blanked out title/menu had a video stream that lasted a minute, I'll never have to sit and look at a black screen for a minute before proceeding, no matter which of the three options I choose?
Old 1st December 2004, 12:57   #145  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The original duration of a PGC depends on three factors: the length of the video (or audio) coded in the VOB, the Cell Still Times, and the PGC Still Time.

When doing a Blank Out Menu/Title, PgcEdit replaces the VOB with a verry short one, and fixes all Cell Times to 0.
Furthermore, if you selected the option to Kill Playback, it copies the post to pre commands.
When the kill playback is done, you will probably not see the black cell at all. But there are cases where the black cell MAY be shown even when the playback is killed.
As the cell duration in the VOB is now verry small, and the Cell Still Time is 0, the black cell will be shown for less than one second (the exact duration depends of the speed of your player, when seeking to the next PGC to be played.)

There is still one case where the cell may be played for a long time: if the PGC Still Time is > 0, the last cell of the PGC will pause for that number of seconds. (Note that this pause seems ignored when playing the DVD with a software player, but is used by my Sony standalone.)
I forgot to reset the PGC Still Time to 0 in the Kill Playback routine. This will be fixed in the next release.

For a long and somewhat technical explanation on the Kill Playback method, look at this post and the following posts. (Continued here.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st December 2004 at 13:13.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2004, 13:27   #146  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@lark

You can pick and choose what titlesets you want, just so long as you have a your VIDEO_TS.IFO/BUP and VTS_01.IFO/BUP and VTS_01_0.VOB (this itself can be a 10k stub). The rest is up to you, so long as you don't "break the navigation" of the DVD.

For an example of how to do a main movie plus menu look here. (Don't forget to do a Get VTS Sectors afterwards).

Note, in PgcEdit, you can start off with a "blank disk" and import menus and titlesets at will. I do this quite a lot - it totally eliminates unwanted junk and basically let's you have the DVD as you want it. Again, you will need to check the DVD's navigation (with the trace function - including menu buttons) and where "navigation breaks" occur, redirect them to "existent" PGCs.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 2nd December 2004 at 00:23.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2004, 19:23   #147  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally posted by lark
e.g. i've a DVD that has VTST 1 & VTST 2.
VTST 1 contains just warnings, studio logos and stuff that i don't need.
so, i'd like to delete VTST 1 and 'rename' VTST 2 as VTST 1.
obviously i cannot just delete 1's VOBs & IFOs, because it violates the DVD spec. in addition i cannot just rename 02 VOBs & 02 IFOs to 01, because they are referenced in video manager.
obviously there are DVD's that have e.g. 6 VTSTs and from where i'd like to remove something from the middle (e.g. VTST 3).
so, i'd like to have an automated procedure for that. perhaps that already exists, but i just haven't found it...
regards
t
lark, why would you want to do that? Is it just so the result is a bit "cleaner" (i.e., doesn't have "stubs" still around)? If so, the result is probably not worth the effort, since the "cleaned-up" DVD would then be functionally equivalent to the one where you still have the stubs, right?
Jeanl
Old 2nd December 2004, 04:31   #148  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

@r0lZ

Can you put a count flag on each gprm and sprm to tell us how many times each register has been changed during trace? Say gprm 2's value has been changed 3 times so a display somewhere will tell us 3. Don't know if you want to widen the watch window but I can see something like this.
Code:
GPRMs

0 [ 4 (3)       ]
1 [ 12345 (999) ]
Or maybe a tooltip on each button would be better. It would be also nice to know what PGC the last change occured but that would be asking too much.

BTW, I'm still seeing invalid values besides language codes in my Watch's input language field.

Last edited by 2COOL; 2nd December 2004 at 04:36.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 05:37   #149  |  Link
jeanl

2COOL,
you can put watch points on gprms, trace will stop when they're changed. That's very convenient, maybe a beginning of an answer to your problem...
Jeanl
Old 2nd December 2004, 07:30   #150  |  Link
2COOL

@jneal

It helps...for the time being but my request is still convenient to have. Just want to keep more tabs on registers without manually doing so.

@r0lZ

Has this been brought up? Sorry, I didn't fully read this thread. I had encountered a nasty bug, IHMO, during my trace. I had only checked these on.

When I move the Preview window while it's playing, eventually I'll get this.

then this.

Old 2nd December 2004, 07:50   #151  |  Link
jeanl

2COOL,
mmm that's strange. This bug seems to be in PgcEditPreview. I'll try to reproduce the bug. You're saying it was while you were moving the window? Are you sure it wasn't when the window was closing (that's a known bug that will be fixed in the next release I believe)...

Jeanl
Old 2nd December 2004, 08:14   #152  |  Link
2COOL

jeanl

Yes, you are probably right. That's why I admitted to not fully reading the thread.
Old 2nd December 2004, 08:19   #153  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
jeanl

Yes, you are probably right. That's why I admitted to not fully reading the thread.
Well, I don't think the bug I'm talking about has been mentioned in this thread anyway!
Jeanl
Old 2nd December 2004, 09:40   #154  |  Link
lark
Regular User

Quote:
Originally posted by jeanl
lark, why would you want to do that? Is it just so the result is a bit "cleaner" (i.e., doesn't have "stubs" still around)? If so, the result is probably not worth the effort, since the "cleaned-up" DVD would then be functionally equivalent to the one where you still have the stubs, right?
Jeanl
yep, just to have it cleaner. i know that 10k for each empty VTS is not a big deal, but i'd rather not have anything that is not necessarily needed ;-)

and as i said, not a high priority...

regards
t
Old 2nd December 2004, 09:44   #155  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@lark

Please read my earlier post about only putting what you want on the disk. Pretty much all the 10k stubs can be eliminated (but ensure there are no breaks in the nav structure).

IMHO, however, its way more trouble than it's worth.

Regards

Old 2nd December 2004, 09:48   #156  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@rolz et al

Re auto preview in trace mode

Mine doesn't work either. Machine just hangs for a bit. I'm using the latest beta downloaded this morning.

Not getting 2Cool's error messages tho (maybe I didn't wait long enough ).

EDIT: Also, when in the Edit PGC dialogue, pressing the button on the right of the VOB/Cell ID gets nothing. The PGC Preview comes up, but pressing on play does nothing.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 2nd December 2004 at 09:59.
Old 2nd December 2004, 11:04   #157  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, there is a bug with preview in trace mode in the last beta. Will be fixed soon.

The move Preview window bug reported by 2COOL is strange. I've never seen that.
Old 2nd December 2004, 11:38   #158  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@rolz

Does the bug also apply to when you are looking in the edit pgc dialogue?

Regards

Old 2nd December 2004, 12:17   #159  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes. In fact, the bug occured when the preview was restricted to the current cell only. So, it worked in PGC mode, but not in Trace or Cell mode.
Old 2nd December 2004, 12:51   #160  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

r0lZ, I've tried to use PgcEdit to edit the subtitle attributes of a disc where I've removed some subtitle streams using DVD-ReBuilder. I've described in my first post in this thread how I tried to use PgcEdit with no luck.

As you can see in that post, I have 11 subtitle streams on my disc where DVD-RB due to my selections replaced stream no. 0 and 3-10 with blank data, leaving only stream no. 1 and 2 intact. I then wanted to edit the subtitle data for the main movie PGC (located in VTS_01) in VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO.

So I opened the PGC-Editor in PgcEdit and selected "none" for the blanked out subtitle streams. But this didn't seem to have any impact at all when playing the disc as I can still see all the blanked out languages and cycle through them and select them (I haven't burned the disc and tested in standalone player, but I tested it in my software player which is Media Player Classic).

Shouldn't the above changes using PgcEdit give some sort of impact? Am I missing any other subtitle settings somewhere else in PgcEdit that should be altered, too, in order to make it work as I want?

It would be very, very nice to be able to use PgcEdit to select which audio and/or subtitle streams should be used on the disc. In the process of converting a DVD9 to DVD5 I often strip such unwanted streams (using various vobediting programs) in order to save space for video quality, and the problem of post-processing the .IFOs in order to make the stream mapping correct after stripping arises. I guess such feature is within the scope of PgcEdit, too, as it's about .ifo editing, not .vob editing?