Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 14th February 2010, 15:40   #601  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
I hope only the main system hdd counts here,.. (switching my other hard drives on daily basis)
(+ will buy a copy once a 64bit version is out)

Cu Selur
The DiAVC only read the physics drive0 and has non business with other drives.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 16:59   #602  |  Link
Stephen R. Savage

I'm afraid I would have to agree with Disabled. I would be willing to pay double price for a copy not tied to hardware, but a restriction to HDD/CPU worries me greatly. I'm sure it will work fine in the short term, but I am concerned about the viability of my purchase once you have moved on to other projects, been bought out, etc, and no promise can ease that concern. Even having to repurchase a copy is not that big a deal, but the possibility that you will disappear a few years later and leave me stuck is, I hate to say, not completely unlikely.

Personally, I do not think piracy will cost you as many purchases as restrictive licensing.

Edit: On an unrelated note, are the issues regarding registration from last page fixed?

Edit2: I think the best chance of making a significant amount of money from DiAVC is to get some company to buy a site license or something similar, and I don't think a per-machine license would be received very well in such a case. Perhaps you could look into offering alternative licensing schemes.

Last edited by Stephen R. Savage; 14th February 2010 at 17:14.
Stephen R. Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 17:01   #603  |  Link
hajj_3

are you really rich bob0r?

If you could buy it and release the sourcecode presumably it could be included in vlc and MPC-HC as the default decoder, how cool would be, millions of people would benefit.

I'm sure someone could create a mac version and integrate it into vlc too.

Lets hope this can happen as i'd hate for DivX to buy the sourcecode, open source would allow others to improve it and add it to vlc/mpc-hc.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 17:23   #604  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Savage View Post
I'm afraid I would have to agree with Disabled. I would be willing to pay double price for a copy not tied to hardware, but a restriction to HDD/CPU worries me greatly. I'm sure it will work fine in the short term, but I am concerned about the viability of my purchase once you have moved on to other projects, been bought out, etc, and no promise can ease that concern. Even having to repurchase a copy is not that big a deal, but the possibility that you will disappear a few years later and leave me stuck is, I hate to say, not completely unlikely.

Personally, I do not think piracy will cost you as many purchases as restrictive licensing.

Edit: On an unrelated note, are the issues regarding registration from last page fixed?

Edit2: I think the best chance of making a significant amount of money from DiAVC is to get some company to buy a site license or something similar, and I don't think a per-machine license would be received very well in such a case. Perhaps you could look into offering alternative licensing schemes.
If you buy one for a certain computer, it will work for you all along. Before I leave the project (perhaps this can't give me much money, or I am employed by some company so that I has no time with DiAVC (this is with vvvvvvvvvvery low probability)), I will release a last version with no restriction to HDD/CPU to all my customers.

edit: There is no reason to give up an earning-money project. If there are peoples who buy the software, why do I give up the business?

Last edited by schweinsz; 14th February 2010 at 17:25.
Old 14th February 2010, 17:39   #605  |  Link
Stephen R. Savage

Well, to be honest, though I admit that DiAVC is a great piece of software, I am not entirely convinced that there is a large market for software AVC decoders. However, I will take your word for it and purchase a copy if the HDD detection/RegisterCode issue has been fixed. On another note, if I possess multiple computers, do I have to purchase a separate license for each?

Edit: Registration still broken. Fadeout, what kind of system are you using?

Last edited by Stephen R. Savage; 14th February 2010 at 17:43.
Old 14th February 2010, 17:44   #606  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
On another note, if I possess multiple computers, do I have to purchase a separate license for each?
You can request a serial number by email to me using the email you pay ever.
Old 14th February 2010, 17:46   #607  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
Tomorrow I will delete all dependences on mfc/msvcr in the DiAVC and start to fix the registration problem.
Old 14th February 2010, 17:48   #608  |  Link
Stephen R. Savage

Thank you for the clarification. I look forward to the updated version.
Old 14th February 2010, 18:42   #609  |  Link
Virtual_ManPL
Virtual_ManPL

IMO for starter project high antipiracy protection method is very good... cause it lower greatly illegal copying of program (getting cracked CoreAVC is clicking on second link in google, dunno why google or even CoreCodec makes this possible...)...
also dev will have detailed info how many ppl using his software... and of course more money

@ schweinsz - is this bug fixed in final release ? http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...24#post1370924
cause its hell annoying

also update your first post with nice info like changelog, settings, some SSs etc...

and in some time try making article on Wikipedia about your decoder, cause many ppl learn about sth new form it
nice will be changing this horrible web style from Win98 times on homepage to some nice looking (if you dont have time, you can e.g. use WordPress with nice skin)

also some GUI minor mistakes

and "H.264" text can be deleted or changed to "H.264/AVC"

In the near future we will be seeing options like input colorspace (Auto/BT.601/BT.709), deblocking (strength) and deinterlacing (modes) ?
Also waiting for Super-resolution support, will be nice to see first decoder supporting this

P.S. I will also buy your decoder but now Im poor student...
Virtual_ManPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 19:24   #610  |  Link
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual_ManPL View Post
IMO for starter project high antipiracy protection method is very good... cause it lower greatly illegal copying of program (getting cracked CoreAVC is clicking on second link in google, dunno why google or even CoreCodec makes this possible...)...
The thing is, you can't stop the pirates. CoreCodec "makes it possible" because they figured even after introducing some advanced activation scheme the software was cracked in no time and people don't like buying software they can't use anymore if the developers feel like it. I think especially for unknown projects its essential to not scare away the early adopters. I gave the DiAVC Beta to a few people but won't convince them to buy it, because I don't want to be the person responsible for them not being able to use paid software. And especially if there are free alternatives, you better make sure your customers get the absolutely best version out there - ie no need to activate.
Disabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 19:28   #611  |  Link
Stephen R. Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual_ManPL View Post
@ schweinsz - is this bug fixed in final release ? http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...24#post1370924
cause its hell annoying

In the near future we will be seeing options like input colorspace (Auto/BT.601/BT.709), deblocking (strength) and deinterlacing (modes) ?
Also waiting for Super-resolution support, will be nice to see first decoder supporting this
I actually haven't seen that seeking bug since one of the earlier betas, but I'm using EVR/Sync instead of EVR/Custom now. If it's still there, I hope it gets fixed.

A manual switch to toggle BT.601/BT.709 would be nice, as many streams don't have the colormatrix flag set. Actually, would it be possible to automatically select a matrix based on whether the stream is HD or SD? This could allow a semi-intelligent decision when the flags aren't set.

Imo, a switch for deblocking is kind of pointless nowadays, since the most difficult streams to decode are the high-bitrate ones, and those don't really have anything left to deblock.

Last edited by Stephen R. Savage; 14th February 2010 at 19:30.
Old 14th February 2010, 20:04   #612  |  Link
Virtual_ManPL
Virtual_ManPL

@ Disabled - but you know, no1 will (IMO of course) wasting time cracking DiAVC, when you have cracked CoreAVC with CUDA support or even free decoders like DivX or ffdshow/MPC-HC with DxVA support in early DiAVC development
when decoder will be better know, you are right, cracking will be matter of time, but schweinsz for this time will probably remove this antipiracy protection method to easier his life for answering emails and lower his time on support

@ Stephen R. Savage - this bug exist mostly in EVR/Custom, but I can see it sometimes in EVR and EVR/Sync
try e.g. fast mouse clicking on seek bar in MPC-HC
Virtual_ManPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 22:52   #613  |  Link
Fadeout

Quote:
CPU or what?

I'm on Windows XP here. E8400.
Fadeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 14:28   #614  |  Link
hajj_3

@Schweinsz: do you have any Plans to use CUDA or ati's STREAM in a future version to reduce the cpu usage even further?
Old 15th February 2010, 14:55   #615  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
@Schweinsz: do you have any Plans to use CUDA or ati's STREAM in a future version to reduce the cpu usage even further?
I don't think there's much point for that. Whatever decoder filter offers "hardware H.264 decoding" will always be a wrapper around the very same H.264 decoder chip on the graphics board.

So performance-wise and feature-wise it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) matter which decoder filter you use to access the H.264 decoder chip. The decoder chip that does the actual work is always the same.

Therefore it would be a waste of resources to develop a damn fast software-only H.264 decoder, such as DiAVC, and then offload all the work to the hardware decoder

And most important: There already are free DXVA solutions, namely ffdshow-DXVA and MPC-HC. If you need H.264 hardware decoding for Avisynth, you can buy DGAVCIndexNV for a similar price...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 15th February 2010 at 15:00.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 15:15   #616  |  Link
hajj_3

true, i was just thinking off offloading SOME of the work to the gpu, i believe coreavc 2.0 does this with CUDA enabled cards.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:22   #617  |  Link
stax76

Small correction, the package is called DGDecNV, the index app DGIndexNV and the filters DGSource and DGMultiSource, most GUIs cannot use DGMultiSource.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 15:26   #618  |  Link
Disabled

Quote:
true, i was just thinking off offloading SOME of the work to the gpu, i believe coreavc 2.0 does this with CUDA enabled cards.
No they don't CoreAVC with Cuda only sends the bitstream to the card and let it decode it. It is not an intelligent hybrid method. As Mulder implied, every Cuda decoder does it that way.
Disabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 17:39   #619  |  Link
schweinsz

Quote:
No, I have no plan to use CUDA or ati's STREAM for offloading the cpu decoding, but I have a big plan to use the CUDA or ati's STREAM to post-process the frames, including super-resolution, sharpen, denoise, etc. I plan to code a video renderer to do this. I am learning the cuda.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:46   #620  |  Link
hajj_3

nice

Tags
avc, diavc, fastest decoder, h.264, software