Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 11th October 2004, 07:19   #1  |  Link
keiron

Frame Rate Problems - 20fps transfer rate

Hi

I am new to all this (though not new to computers)

I have an analogue video camera that I am trying to transfer the video from to my PC so I can put my video onto DVD.

I purchased a belkin USB2 transfer cable and have that set up. My problem seems to be that I cannot capture at more than 20 odd fps, hence loads of dropped frames (about 20%) which makes for slightly jerky video. I have used enditall and made all other system chnages as recommended in the guides (PC is an Athlon XP 1800, 512Mb RAM, 64Mb nvidia video card, 2 x HDD, one solely for capture)

I have read all the FAQ's and downloaded a help guide from here, and tried everything there.

I have used Virtual Dub, Virtual Dub Sync, Ulead 6, Ulead 7, Windows Movie Maker and Nero Vision Express, yet cannot capture at a higher frame rate.

This leads me to believe it may be the cable.

Below is a log from Virtual Dub that has the frame/data capture info

Frames Captured - 415
Total Time: 0.20
Total File Size - 19.8Mb

Video - Average Rate - 20.88272 fps
Data Rate: 1023 kbs
compression 4.0:1
Avg Frame Size - 50136
Frames Dropped 81

Would my thinking be correct?

Also, I even though I have read everything, I am a wee bit confused about the size of what I am capturing. If I capture at 720 * 576, I get bad quality (lines throughout). (I did read somewhere to capture at the size I want to output at) Now I assume that my camera only captures at 352 * 288, so I should really be capturing at that rate.. correct? I can then output at the higher rate, but obviously the quality suffers.

Any tips and suggestions would be most helpful, as I am considering going and buying a DV camera and using firewire in the future... but only if it will improve what is happening!

Cheers

Keiron
keiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 12:36   #2  |  Link
FlimsyFeet

OK, I have never used a USB capture device before, but I think you might need a more powerful CPU to capture at full PAL 720x576? It also depends on the capture codec you are using as well.

You say your camera is analogue so saying it "only captures at 352 * 288" is incorrect. It records 576 lines of analogue video.

By all means try to capture at other resolutions, e.g. 352x576, 352x288 and see if it helps, also try using the huffyuv codec if you're not already.
Old 11th October 2004, 15:42   #3  |  Link
keiron

I have tried capturing at 352 * 288, and am using huffyuv codec, and still getting low frame rate....
keiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 15:53   #4  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

According to the vendor (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=88962) resolution via this is limited to 352x288, though that may be with the drivers and software provided.

Here are two other threads that mention the Belkin or similar devices:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=belkin
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=belkin