Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th January 2017, 10:38   #42061  |  Link
CruNcher

Projectors will obviously take longer more bucks to be made with other Price Category

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 16th January 2017 at 11:33.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 10:47   #42062  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
could you please be more specific? what pattern do you suggest to try? do you have a link ? thank you
you can try this: http://www.displaycalibrations.com/i...Pre-Cal_01.png

or this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 12:25   #42063  |  Link
mrmojo666

thank you for the answer, but i don't understand what you are suggesting, i've wrote that I've already tested with gray bars if my tv is supporting 10bit, and they are correctly displayed in exclusive 10bit mode . the problem comes when i try to play any 8bit video (also the very old calibration video you liked above) in eclusive 10bit mode , i get over-saturated colors. If i switch to windowed 8bit mode colors became ok. Also seems that color&gamma proprieties are not applied by madvr, so recalibrate for 10 bit output is impossible. Could it be a issue of Amd Apu gpu driver ? or am i missing something else. Thank you for any help
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 13:17   #42064  |  Link
makakam

Guys, I'm having problems with getting HDR to work.
I have an HDR capable TV (Panasonic dx780) and I have set madVR to passthrough HDR to my display but the colors are washed out and HDR mode isn't triggered.
I'm using HDR demos and they work when played through USB. What am I doing wrong?
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 14:12   #42065  |  Link
dipje

As far as I know, you're not doing anything wrong.

You can't 'trigger' HDR mode as you say it from a PC (or MadVR can't yet). You need to manually tell your TV to enable HDR processing.

Written as someone who does not have an HDR tv so I'm not up to speed on all the latest HDR-developments.
dipje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 14:38   #42066  |  Link
Damien147

It's written in the settings that you have to enable it manually(from tv) for now.I also get washed out colors too but I thought it was because I have ''pseudo'' hdr.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 15:20   #42067  |  Link
hannes69

Regarding this:

when watched on 720p projector.

Quote:
Do you have any of the black bar options enabled? maybe madVR is detecting a black bar of 1-2px at the bottom and zooming it away.
Quote:
Ok. As madVR detect "touch windows from inside" try enable "disable scaling if image size changes" to some high value (and completely disable hard coded black bars detection to debug). And then try to view movie in natural size.
There are no black bars zoomed away and the "disable scaling if image size changes" setting only works if not doubling the movie.

In the meantime I have found out (I hope so) whatīs going on.
In madVRīs OSD the movies are shown as 640x360. In MPC HCīs movie properties within the mediainfo part they are shown as well as 640x360. But in properties - details part the movies are shown as 641x360 (movie of first screenshot) or 640x361 (second screenshot).
I think I canīt handle this problem with the given setting possibilities in madVR at the moment. I can crop the borders within madVR, but only ALL borders at the same time. So 641x360 -> 639x358 ; 640x361 -> 638x359. They are doubled then. 639x358 -> 1278x716 ; 638x359 -> 1276x718. And then scaled to 1280x720.
The "disable scaling if image size changes" of course works when displaying at 640x360 and no scaling at all. But this doesnīt work with first doubling and do further scaling afterwards.
Of course my hardware is a little bit oldschool being 720p, but the problem will be exactly the same when e.g doubling 1080p to 2160p and having movies with not exact 1920x1080.
Maybe I have overlooked a possibility within madVR, maybe "misusing" certain settings that arenīt originally intended for doing that...
So what would be needed is an option for cropping single borders. If I could crop the single line or the single additonal horizontal pixel before doubling, then everything would be fine...
Hannes.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 16:19   #42068  |  Link
makakam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipje View Post
As far as I know, you're not doing anything wrong.

You can't 'trigger' HDR mode as you say it from a PC (or MadVR can't yet). You need to manually tell your TV to enable HDR processing.

Written as someone who does not have an HDR tv so I'm not up to speed on all the latest HDR-developments.
The thing is I don't have any option on my TV to manually enable HDR.
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 17:31   #42069  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by makakam View Post
Guys, I'm having problems with getting HDR to work.
I have an HDR capable TV (Panasonic dx780) and I have set madVR to passthrough HDR to my display but the colors are washed out and HDR mode isn't triggered.
I'm using HDR demos and they work when played through USB. What am I doing wrong?
READ the page you set madVr to "passthrough" HDR.

this question come about every 2 weeks and everything you need to know is written on the setting page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
thank you for the answer, but i don't understand what you are suggesting, i've wrote that I've already tested with gray bars if my tv is supporting 10bit, and they are correctly displayed in exclusive 10bit mode . the problem comes when i try to play any 8bit video (also the very old calibration video you liked above) in eclusive 10bit mode , i get over-saturated colors. If i switch to windowed 8bit mode colors became ok. Also seems that color&gamma proprieties are not applied by madvr, so recalibrate for 10 bit output is impossible. Could it be a issue of Amd Apu gpu driver ? or am i missing something else. Thank you for any help

the major difference between 8 bit and 10 bit madVR output is that the high bit deep data is dithered to 10 not 8 bit the rest is the same.
so the same gamma settings are applied same scaler same everything.
so what do you understand under "over-saturated colors".

AMD high bit deep output works totally fine and madVR isn't doing something special either. so this leave you with your TV. so what TV is that and be aware that nearly every TV out there even the HDR ones are 8 bit.
Old 16th January 2017, 21:11   #42070  |  Link
dipje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
It's written in the settings that you have to enable it manually(from tv) for now.I also get washed out colors too but I thought it was because I have ''pseudo'' hdr.
'washed out colors' is a cleartale sign of the wide-gamut colorspace of HDR content being interpreted as 'normal'. In other words, it's not interpreting the video signal correct and handling it as something it's not (like, it seems it's thinking it's a 'regular' bt709 signal while you're sending bt2020 data).

Quote:
The thing is I don't have any option on my TV to manually enable HDR.
Doesn't change much about what is said, right? I think 99,99% of us are not using a PC to play HDR content, because there is no real support for HDR on PC yet (not in the video-api world). No standards to 'flag' the HDR data, so no support yet.
dipje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 11:48   #42071  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipje View Post
No standards to 'flag' the HDR data, so no support yet.
Standards is here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
but question is where it is implemented

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
But in properties - details part the movies are shown as 641x360 (movie of first screenshot) or 640x361 (second screenshot).
So what would be needed is an option for cropping single borders. If I could crop the single line or the single additonal horizontal pixel before doubling, then everything would be fine...
1. Definitely, problem is inside streams
2. AFAIK, ffdshow or avisynt will help

Last edited by SweetLow; 17th January 2017 at 11:57.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 14:41   #42072  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post

the major difference between 8 bit and 10 bit madVR output is that the high bit deep data is dithered to 10 not 8 bit the rest is the same.
so the same gamma settings are applied same scaler same everything.
so what do you understand under "over-saturated colors".

AMD high bit deep output works totally fine and madVR isn't doing something special either. so this leave you with your TV. so what TV is that and be aware that nearly every TV out there even the HDR ones are 8 bit.
Hey guys,
I've found the source of my problem, i was using lav in native and not in copy-back, now (cb) it is possible to use color & gamma setting to adjust 10bit output mode.
Thank you now all is perfect
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 21:23   #42073  |  Link
tobindac

Is there a video file that can let me test only Chroma Upscaling in a very direct manner?
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 22:36   #42074  |  Link
Oguignant

about OC nvidia memory

I have a question. The video card memory speed (nvidia 1080 in my case) affect the performance of Madvr? Is it convenient or useful OC the memory?
Old 17th January 2017, 22:52   #42075  |  Link
aufkrawall

It won't allow you to use higher quality settings, so the answer probably can only be "no".
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 23:00   #42076  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
It won't allow you to use higher quality settings, so the answer probably can only be "no".
Use higher quality settings? as which?

So, it is better only OC the GPU and leave the original memory speed. Right?

Last edited by Oguignant; 17th January 2017 at 23:27.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 02:50   #42077  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, I'd like to be able to cycle through selected profiles using the same key combination.
This would make it easy to review during playback what profile may be viewed as best for the playing content without needing to remember various key combinations for each suitable profile.
Can you add support for this please?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 05:09   #42078  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Can someone clarify this for me please?
I play everything at 60Hz rather than 24Hz with my JVC X9000 proj. The reason you might ask is that have a film group and we screen mixed content, shorts, trailers etc before the feature. I set the 1080 video card to 60Hz as this way the horrible SLOW SYNC on the JVC is instant between shorts/trls.

I would like to run at 4K doubling, but each time I test I have issues even on low settings with any of the 30/60 material, I get skipped frames.
All other material is perfect 1080p etc when doubled, no problems at all, just 30/60 content I get skipped frames.
Is the problem due to me being on 60Hz rather than the normal that most would be using?

Can madvr not image double 30/60 fps material?

The image I have is out of this world so I can remain with everything upscaling to 1080p, but I just thought since many of the JVC forums are using 4K with madvr I too should.....

Interested in your thoughts???
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 05:25   #42079  |  Link
huhn

i can do 720p60 x4 -> 2160p60. you just need rendertimes below ~15ms.
Old 18th January 2017, 05:33   #42080  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i can do 720p60 x4 -> 2160p60. you just need rendertimes below ~15ms.
But what about material below 720p @30/60 >2160p60?
Say 480, sometimes less?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling