Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 25th February 2012, 00:03   #581  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
For examplem combine a few Cyrillic, a few Greek, a few Arabic, a few Nepalese and a few Chinese characters in the same file name
OK thanks, I think I will leave these tests up to you... Just confirms my suspicion that I really have no use for unicode.

Quote:
In theory, they should be identical. But in reality, there can be minor differences due to different compilers or different compiler settings.

You can make a DIFF of the two files, e.g. in Cool Edit or a similar audio editor, by copying the one file to the clipboard and then using "mix paste" with "inverted" option to paste it into the other one.

That DIFF audio file should be pretty much silent. Otherwise we have a problem
Yep, you are right, must be different compiler settings. The DIFF file was almost silent (RMS level -90 dB, one peak at -39 dB).

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 00:31   #582  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
OK thanks, I think I will leave these tests up to you... Just confirms my suspicion that I really have no use for unicode.
I guess you'd cry for proper Unicode support, as soon you get the error message that the program can't open file "?????" just because their happen to be some foreign characters in the name
Old 25th February 2012, 03:01   #583  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
I guess you'd cry for proper Unicode support, as soon you get the error message that the program can't open file "?????" just because their happen to be some foreign characters in the name
I don't think so. I started with computers in 1987 when filenames had to be in the 8.3 format. And I still prefer using short and simple filenames.

And if I come across a file with foreign characters in its name, I do know how to rename a file...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 03:35   #584  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

So if you have a music file with a title and/or artist that happens to not be representable in your local ANSI codepage, then you rename it to ... ?

And if the renamed file is transferred to another computer later and that computer happens to have a different ANSI codepage configured, so now the new name cannot be represented, you rename the file again?

And again... And again... But we are getting off-topic here

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th February 2012 at 03:42.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 03:56   #585  |  Link
VzK

If I select up to 15 audio files in a folder and right-click, "Convert this file with LameXP v4.04" appears and the conversion runs just fine.
Anything more than that, and there is no bold option.
This would be a Windows "problem", right?

Thanks in advance.
VzK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 04:10   #586  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VzK View Post
If I select up to 15 audio files in a folder and right-click, "Convert this file with LameXP v4.04" appears and the conversion runs just fine.
Anything more than that, and there is no bold option.
This would be a Windows "problem", right?
You mean that 'Convert this file with LameXP v4.04' appears in the Explorer context menu, if you select 15 files. But does not appear if you select even more files?

Do all these files have the same extension? I would understand this behavior, if some of the files have extensions that are associated with LameXP and some have other extensions.

In that case, the LameXP context menu entry would only appear if all files in your selection have an extension that is associated with LameXP.

Or in other words: Make sure that each file in your selection has the context menu entry individually. Only then the whole selection can have the context menu entry too...
Old 25th February 2012, 04:18   #587  |  Link
VzK

They have all the same extension and they have all the context menu individually.

No LameXP (and MediaInfo - only noticed this now) option available when +15.

Old 25th February 2012, 04:20   #588  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Hmm, then that's really strange. But as it happens with MediaInfo's context menu entry too, I don't think it's a LameXP issue.

But I can reproduce the issue here! Maybe Windows doesn't allow more 15 items, because launching the application more than 15 times might slow down the system too much.

I remember that in older versions of Windows there was a warning popup, asking if you really want to proceed, when you tried to select+open a lot of files this way...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th February 2012 at 04:25.
Old 25th February 2012, 05:02   #589  |  Link
VzK

Yeap, Windows limitation.
Found this, works great, all files converted smoothly.
Old 25th February 2012, 13:05   #590  |  Link
Vospi

Quote:
You are the first one to report this problem. So what details does the log give for the "Not found!" items?

Do you have any Antivirus program with "real-time scanner" or "behavior scanner" or "guard" feature installed? If so, try to temporarily uninstall/disable it and see if that makes any difference.

Also: Is the problematic file located on some network drive or USB device? And does the problem still occur with LameXP v4.04 Beta-1 ???
(1) The problem was gone when I've disabled avast! antivirus.
(2) Before I've disabled avast!, it was almost the same with the latest beta (Build 892), but this time it was a diferent message that read "Failed!".
(3) The log for the problematic files was:

LameXP v4.04 (Build #892), compiled on 2012-02-23 at 21:17:24

-------------------------------

C:/WINDOWS.0/TEMP/5453eb697217448fba059269ae2c6a3c/tool_flac.exe -d -F -f -o F:\temp\4073285ae87647ffb9c13a9ca9540f8a.wav "F:\Music\!dnb\Hospital Records\!flac\London Elektricity - Live At The Scala_FLAC\09 - London Elektricity - Main Ingredient.flac"

Exited with code: 0x0000

Adding LameXP to exceptions list did no good, so I'm supposed to reconvert failed files every time or to disable my antivirus while converting.
Vospi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 13:55   #591  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vospi View Post
(1) The problem was gone when I've disabled avast! antivirus.
(2) Before I've disabled avast!, it was almost the same with the latest beta (Build 892), but this time it was a diferent message that read "Failed!".
(3) The log for the problematic files was:

LameXP v4.04 (Build #892), compiled on 2012-02-23 at 21:17:24

-------------------------------

C:/WINDOWS.0/TEMP/5453eb697217448fba059269ae2c6a3c/tool_flac.exe -d -F -f -o F:\temp\4073285ae87647ffb9c13a9ca9540f8a.wav "F:\Music\!dnb\Hospital Records\!flac\London Elektricity - Live At The Scala_FLAC\09 - London Elektricity - Main Ingredient.flac"

Exited with code: 0x0000

Adding LameXP to exceptions list did no good, so I'm supposed to reconvert failed files every time or to disable my antivirus while converting.

It's not the first time that an "anti-virus" software attacks a legitimate software

You should report the problem to the support of your anti-virus software. And, if they don't fix the problem in time, switch to a better a/v solution!

There are various decent free solutions available. Personally I'm satisfied with MSE and/or Avira Antivir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VzK View Post
Yeap, Windows limitation.
Found this, works great, all files converted smoothly.
Good finding. Will add this to the F.A.Q document.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th February 2012 at 13:58.
Old 26th February 2012, 19:59   #592  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Beta-3:

Quote:
Changes between v4.03 and v4.04:
* Added support for the QAAC Encoder, requires QuickTime v7.7.1 or newer (see FAQ doc for details)
* Added Chinese and Taiwanese translations, thanks to 456Vv <123@456vv.com>
* Added experimental support for dcaenc, created by Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov@gmail.com>
* Added CSV export/import for Meta tags (see context-menu on the "Source Files" tab)
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.0 (2011-12-15), compiled with MSVC 10.0
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.99.2 Final (2011-11-18), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0 (details)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.53 (2012-01-24), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated SoX to to v14.4.0 RC-3 (2012-02-20), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.11 (2011-04-20)
* Updated Musepack decoder to revision 475 (2011-08-10), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0
* Implemented coalescing of update signals to reduce the CPU usage of the LameXP process (details)
* Run more than four instances in parallel on systems with more than four CPU cores (details)
* Improved handling of different character encodings for Playlist and Cue Sheet import
* Improved LameXP inter-process communication by adding queue support
* Workaround for a bug that causes MediaInfo to not detect the duration of Wave files (64-Bit only)
* Prevent LameXP from blocking a system shutdown (encoding process is aborted, if necessary)
* Improved internal handling of MediaInfo output, including extraction of cover art
* Fixed a very rare "live-lock" situation in early initialization code
This should fix the SoX normalization issue with some multi-channel sources when "-n" option is used.
Consequently the default normalization mode has been changed to "-n" again...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 2nd March 2012 at 01:49.
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:56   #593  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Beta-4:

Quote:
Changes between v4.03 and v4.04:
* Added support for the QAAC Encoder, requires QuickTime v7.7.1 or newer (see FAQ doc for details)
* Added Chinese and Taiwanese translations, thanks to 456Vv <123@456vv.com>
* Added experimental support for dcaenc, created by Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov@gmail.com>
* Added CSV export/import for Meta tags (see context-menu on the "Source Files" tab)
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.0 (2011-12-15), compiled with MSVC 10.0
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.99.5 Final (2012-02-28), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0 (details)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.53 (2012-01-24), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated SoX to to v14.4.0 RC-3 (2012-02-20), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.11 (2011-04-20)
* Updated Musepack decoder to revision 475 (2011-08-10), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0
* Implemented coalescing of update signals to reduce the CPU usage of the LameXP process (details)
* Run more than four instances in parallel on systems with more than four CPU cores (details)
* Improved handling of different character encodings for Playlist and Cue Sheet import
* Improved LameXP inter-process communication by adding queue support
* Workaround for a bug that causes MediaInfo to not detect the duration of Wave files (64-Bit only)
* Prevent LameXP from blocking a system shutdown (encoding process is aborted, if necessary)
* Improved internal handling of MediaInfo output, including extraction of cover art
* Fixed a very rare "live-lock" situation in early initialization code
Note: This build fixes a regression (introduced in Beta-1) related to Job Object handling, which could cause encoder processes to be terminated prematurely.
Funnily enough, there was another problem that often broke Job Object handling on Vista (and later) and thus the former problem mostly didn't occur...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th March 2012 at 21:26.
Old 4th March 2012, 23:49   #594  |  Link
Chumbo

Just wanted to drop a note to say thank you for this tool. I needed to convert a bunch of flac files to mp3 so I can play them in my car and when I tried lame by itself it didn't recognize the flac source. So did a quick search for a tool and here it is. Worked great. Many thanks. BTW, if any chance at all, would love to see a CLI version.
Old 4th March 2012, 23:59   #595  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
BTW, if any chance at all, would love to see a CLI version.
This is a GUI front-end for a bunch of CLI tools (LAME, OggEnc, FLAC, etc), so your request seems a bit paradoxical.

If you want to do batch encoding via CLI, e.g. from a batch script, then you can call the involved CLI tools directly and you don't need LameXP as another layer in between.

Anyway, LameXP does support a few command-line switches, e.g. for adding files or folders from the command-line. Probably not what you want though...
Old 5th March 2012, 00:11   #596  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
This is a GUI front-end for a bunch of CLI tools (LAME, OggEnc, FLAC, etc), so your request seems a bit paradoxical.

If you want to do batch encoding via CLI, e.g. from a batch script, then you can call the involved CLI tools directly and you don't need LameXP as another layer in between.

Anyway, LameXP does support a few command-line switches, e.g. for adding files or folders from the command-line. Probably not what you want though...
Yep, I just figured it's nice to have all the functionality in one place. Not a big deal. I actually could have used eac3to/lamexp to accomplish what I needed via CLI. Thanks again.
Old 6th March 2012, 00:18   #597  |  Link
devarni

Bug: Levelling?

There is some levelling data written also when the option is disabled. So coded MP3s have not 100% volume level when played with a player supporting this (like MediaMonkey).
Normally leveling data should be "0" when not enabled in the extended options
devarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 00:20   #598  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

What is "levelling data"
Old 6th March 2012, 00:31   #599  |  Link
devarni

Quote:
What is "levelling data"
Volume normalization.
With newer versions of LameXP there is some normalizing data in dB written, so players which support this will play the track not at 100% volume level. This data is written also when the options is disabled.
In MediaMonkey it will be displayed in the file properties details with "leveling: Track: -6dB"
devarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 00:39   #600  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP does support volume normalization, but it's completely optional.

Also normalization does not happen by writing any kind of "normalizing data" (whatever that is supposed to be) to the file.

Instead, if (and only if) normalization is enabled, the source is decompressed first and then the audio is normalized via SoX before it is sent to the encoder.

Again, this is optional and it is disabled by default (see the "Advanced Options" tab). I have no idea what kind of info "MediaMonkey" displays.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis