Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 21st March 2019, 03:07   #101  |  Link
huhn

so none RTX and even some pascal cards can do ray tracing too?

i'm getting confused here nvidia you are sending me mixed messages here.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 09:01   #102  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
so none RTX and even some pascal cards can do ray tracing too?

i'm getting confused here nvidia you are sending me mixed messages here.
No confusion.

Microsoft's DXR API can be implemented in SW too besides specific ASICs, meaning that you can have ray-tracing using CUDA cores or Polaris/VEGA cores, even CPU cores.

The real issue here is speed.
Depending on the game, the speed is from 1.5 to 3 times slower between 1080 Ti and 2080.

nVidia allows Pascal (>1060), Volta (Titan V) and GTX Turing (1660/1660 Ti) to run RTX enabled games in SW (CUDA cores) using less rays/s to make RTX more popular in order to invest more on it.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 09:22   #103  |  Link
huhn

no sorry i'm still confused by nvidia.

we have RTX card that get a new name to feature nvidia RTX.

then we get new turing card like the 1660 ti that can'T do RTX and can't do DLSS to help the FPS . these cards are supposed to have new FP16 cores which may or may to be tensor cores with disabled features.

and now we get an software update where and they can do nvidia RTX at a lower level but can't do DLSS. getting a lower quality/FPS for a lower tier GPU is to be excepted but what'S the pont of the name.

and i don't see how any of this change the real problem that nvidia can't fix the problem that the new RTX titles are not as popular as hoped by being "bad" games or by game studio marketing department shooting there self in the leg with an epic double barrel shotgun.

it was always know that the dx12 API can be used without RT cores the confusion comes from that the none RTX cards are supposed to use >RTX< ray tracing which was market as a special feature for the 2000 RTX series.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 11:55   #104  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

RTX cards come with Ray-Tracing hardware, GTX cards come without it. I really don't see how this is that confusing.

And for Ray-Tracing popularity, it just takes time to develop. Just this month it was announced that both UE4 and Unity are gaining Ray-Tracing capabilities, which should open the market for a lot more potential games supporting it in the future.
Combine that with a much larger hardware-base (ie. Pascal card owners), and it might be far more common in the future to have at least basic effects that maybe even Pascal owners can use, and once you have that, the jump to advanced effects is only a small one.