Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th August 2015, 16:51   #32381  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Update: Issues (Madvr on Win10)

Additional Issues

- Neither DX11 10bit FSE nor DX11 8bit Windowed FS works, both leads to screen freezing while watching and madvr crashing.

- Tried using DXVA2-CB and DXVA2-Native and Pure Software decode still leads to screen freezing and madvr crashing.

- Tried conservative Madvr settings, even at 13ms of rendering. Screen freezes and Madvr crashes.

-Tried using the report tool of Madvr but it doesn't work too, my goodness.

Lesson learned: Will gonna revert back to Win7. Win10 brought headaches and wasted my precious movie marathon time.

Madvr will not benefit on using DX12 so there's no reason to switch to Win10 unless you want to tinker with privacy settings first and learn dirty hacks to disable feedback. Games will utilize DX12 maybe next year and even then Games that are released are crappy at release (AC Unity comes to mind) so another months of waiting for the game to be functional and stable. So I guess I'm not missing anything by using Windows 7 for another year.
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 17:03   #32382  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
I'm here to report a bug: madVR isn't working with JR Media Center since a couple of versions. I'm trying to track down the issue to the version when it started crashing. It crashes just when you hit play button. No problem with MPC-HC so far. Thanks in advance.
Well, I tracked the error. It started at 88.17 and continues up to the latest release. Going back to 88.16 fixes the issue. It seems to be related to OSD or Low Latency Mode. I also noticed that with 88.16 it uses my OC clocks on GPU while it uses stock clocks with latest release.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 17:08   #32383  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Well, I tracked the error. It started at 88.17 and continues up to the latest release. Going back to 88.16 fixes the issue. It seems to be related to OSD or Low Latency Mode. I also noticed that with 88.16 it uses my OC clocks on GPU while it uses stock clocks with latest release.
0.88.21 works fine here in JRMC. Make sure you use the latest verison of JRMC as well, as it got some improvements in how it handles newer madVR versions.
Old 4th August 2015, 17:08   #32384  |  Link
noee

Quote:
You need to report more info.....card, driver, OS, etc.

I'm running jRMC 20 right now, no issues so far with madVR and Win10.
Old 4th August 2015, 17:43   #32385  |  Link
fedpul

Software
Player: JRMC 20.0.131 in Windows 7 64 Bits. Lav Filters 0.65
GPU Driver: 15.7.1

Hardware:
Intel i5 3570k @4.2Ghz
HD 7870 OC @ 1100/1375Mhz
16Gb RAM @ 1600Mhz

No settings changed between madVR version comparison.
Using:
Chroma: Jinc AR
Image: Jinc AR
Downscaling: CR AR LL
Doubling: NNEDI 32 @ 1.5x or higher
ED 2

If you need more info pls tell me.
Old 4th August 2015, 18:31   #32386  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Software
Player: JRMC 20.0.131 in Windows 7 64 Bits. Lav Filters 0.65
GPU Driver: 15.7.1

Hardware:
Intel i5 3570k @4.2Ghz
HD 7870 OC @ 1100/1375Mhz
16Gb RAM @ 1600Mhz

No settings changed between madVR version comparison.
Using:
Chroma: Jinc AR
Image: Jinc AR
Downscaling: CR AR LL
Doubling: NNEDI 32 @ 1.5x or higher
ED 2

If you need more info pls tell me.
Well, I would make it crash and then send the crash report to madshi. Meantime, try resetting your madVR settings to defaults, see what happens.
Old 4th August 2015, 20:21   #32387  |  Link
fedpul

I will do that, could you please give me instructions about how to send crash report? Thanks in advance
Old 4th August 2015, 20:50   #32388  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
FWIW, SuperRes is still not "finished". There's one change I plan to do for the next build, which will change the look of the image slightly again (but not too much). Furthermore I will probably increase the radius by default which should get rid of most aliasing problems.
One thing's for sure, .15's SR is aliasing-land compared to .21 and HQ is indeed softer(maybe/prolly even softer than the source as another LQ lover put it) but LQ looks quite artificial and even more so when fuelling sxbr(as opposed to the softer looking NEDI). HQ makes the picture softer but that might very well help hiding upscaled compression artifacts actually. J3AR looks soft but it looks more natural too, people don't look quite as sharp as sxbr150 IRL

You provide us with a zillion combinations of filters and sometimes one can easily get bored of an audio/video DSP after the new toy syndrom's faded away duh, anyway atm I still find the stock SR in .21 too sharp even with a strength of 1, a radius of 65 and in HQ mode at that.

All my tests were done on pristine looking 720p50 content, anyway sxbr+SR will tighten up SD content with little worry.

I rest my case that I love how SR smoothes motion-blur but today's tests kinda directed me towards giving up on luma SR and using vanilla sxbr50/75 luma & sxbr125+3/0.41/0.00 SR chroma as I do get the same magical motion-blur smoothing, no über-sharp luma and it'll work on any content as chroma always needs upscaling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It's an interesting test picture because even NNEDI3-256 still has noticeable aliasing in some image areas. Of course SuperRes doesn't improve on that.
If anything I'm glad I found some very nasty test pictures so you can continue to find cures to aliasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
gonna revert back to Win7. Win10 brought headaches and wasted my precious movie.
mVR wasn't tested by madshi on W10 at all. You can always count on AMD and nvidia to fail us when all they care about is squeezing +0.1fps in the latest blockbuster games in order to sell moar. W7 lives on and works flawlessly, too good

Last edited by leeperry; 5th August 2015 at 02:10.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 22:05   #32389  |  Link
Hprd

Win 10 has been ok on this end (gtx 770, latest NVidia drivers). Aside from nnedi3 not working (which I don't use anyways, as xbr + sr looks great) the only issue I've noticed is that when using dx11 10 bit, switching from FSE back to windowed overrides any color corrections, it's fine when first switching to FSE (or it does the same as having "disable GPU gamma ramps" checked, except it doesn't restore the original settings after madvr closes). Dx9 FSE or dx11 8 bit don't do this (they keep the driver or w/e color settings no matter how many times you switch). This may be a driver issue though, as there's weirdness related to this outside of madvr.

Last edited by Hprd; 4th August 2015 at 22:07.
Hprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 01:17   #32390  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
I'm here to report a bug: madVR isn't working with JR Media Center since a couple of versions. I'm trying to track down the issue to the version when it started crashing. It crashes just when you hit play button. No problem with MPC-HC so far. Thanks in advance.
JRMC has its own madVR folder. Have you copied the latest version into that folder? Just do a search for "madvr.ax" to find it, it's in a User folder on the C: drive.

JRMC works fine for me with the latest madVR versions.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 02:47   #32391  |  Link
theonepugna

Sorry for asking but now that NNEDI3 isn't working with the latest NVIDIA driver, what could I replace it with for viewing anime and other cartoon shows?
theonepugna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 03:38   #32392  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonepugna View Post
Sorry for asking but now that NNEDI3 isn't working with the latest NVIDIA driver, what could I replace it with for viewing anime and other cartoon shows?
You should really look back a few pages.. this has been mentioned numerous times already.

Just downgrade to 353.49 and wait for Nvidia to fix it in newer drivers.

Disable third party updates Under system properties - Hardware tab - Device installation settings.

Set to No, let me choose what to do
Never install driver software from Windows update

That should sort you out.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 04:25   #32393  |  Link
Akeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You should really look back a few pages.. this has been mentioned numerous times already.

Just downgrade to 353.49 and wait for Nvidia to fix it in newer drivers.

Disable third party updates Under system properties - Hardware tab - Device installation settings.

Set to No, let me choose what to do
Never install driver software from Windows update

That should sort you out.
Is that to defer driver updates permanently or just temporarily?
Akeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 04:29   #32394  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
Until you change it back it'll be permanently. If you're up to speed on PC things anyway which it sounds like you may be, then I'd recommend updating drivers manually or via a driver updater anyway.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 04:30   #32395  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
this just disables windows update for your GPU. 99% of all people install updates over other ways. usually windows update driver are terrible outdated but this has totally changed for windows 10 at least for now.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 05:06   #32396  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
No sir/mama. I either get a brownish image or no image at all. Also it takes about 2 to 5 seconds for the image to initialize in windowed mode, even without Nnedi3. I'm not using delay playback either.

Update: I used Nnedi3 32 neurons luma and chroma doubling and if I wait about 20 to 30 seconds I get a brownish tinted image. When I try to take a .jpg screenshot with MPC-HC's F5 the screenshot appears normal. I guess I wasn't waiting long enough. But 20 to 30 seconds seems like an inordinately long time, doesn't it?

Further update: It seems the long wait time happens with super-xbr as well. The image is okay but its a long wait for the screen to show an image. I actually drop over 500 frames before I get an image on screen. Although the wait time for an image is almost instantaneous with EVR Custom.

Edit: The excessive wait times were all in FS or FSE.
I've been trying things off and on when I have a chance and it appears that if I use any type of Image Doubling I get the inordinately long wait times for an image to appear. I tried to see if Nnedi3 chroma scaling would work without image doubling and it does not.
Old 5th August 2015, 06:10   #32397  |  Link
jobypeter

Hi everyone,

I installed the latest madvr(0.88.21) on my win8.1 X64, with GTX960(driver 353.62) and MPC-BE (1.4.5.587 & 501). It shows green screen while playing the 4K HEVC 10BIT LG demos using DXVA. After changed to MPC-HC 1.7.9, it shows "dxva processing failed" then rolls back to non DXVA mode. All the 4K HEVC 10bit/8bit demos can be played smoothly in non DXVA mode and all H264/AVC codec demos played normally.

Thanks for help
jobypeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 13:28   #32398  |  Link
huhn

use copyback 10 bit native DXVA is not really working with directshow.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 16:50   #32399  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
JRMC has its own madVR folder. Have you copied the latest version into that folder? Just do a search for "madvr.ax" to find it, it's in a User folder on the C: drive.

JRMC works fine for me with the latest madVR versions.
Yes, I have deleted the madVR folder and updated it with the new folder. I use the same settings that I use without problems in MPC-HC. I think i will use two different versions in each program since it works fine for me. But I would like to know why latest madVR release doesn't use my full OC GPU potential, it uses stock clocks. I will try to push higher settings to see what happens.
Old 5th August 2015, 17:12   #32400  |  Link
fedpul

Pushing settings force the clocks to go higher, so ignore what i have said before. ^^

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling