Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 19th November 2018, 14:13   #16301  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
More problems:-

I am still getting the odd server stall, and not restarting, even tho I have that covered in the command line instructions....and not only doesn't it restart, you can't stop it...the only option is to abort that job, and try again.
Does title in EncodingServer say "NOT RESPONDING"? Can you close encodingserver by clicking X button or you have to kill it via task manager?
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2018, 20:18   #16302  |  Link
dracore

i have just upgraded too the 2990wx - does ripbot support upto 32 cores or to use my cpu better would running ripbot 2 or 3 times help with speeds .... thank you
dracore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2018, 20:51   #16303  |  Link
dracore

i have setup 5 servers for encoding and they all just say idle, waited a while and still nothing happening - can anyone help with this please
Old 20th November 2018, 14:29   #16304  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracore View Post
i have setup 5 servers for encoding and they all just say idle, waited a while and still nothing happening - can anyone help with this please
Let me guess you just manually ran EncodingClient.exe and then you clicked ON buttons?

By the way. Why did you use such weird number of servers? 2990WX has four numa nodes so you should use 4 or 8 servers (1-2 servers per numa node).

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 20th November 2018 at 14:35.
Old 20th November 2018, 16:57   #16305  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
Strange thing is, I don't get any error pop up windows (using either W7, W10, or Windows Server 2019).

If I click on the taskbar server icon, it does not respond (I guess because it's stalled/errored).

If I use the X to close, there are "ghost" icons left in the taskbar, eg:- the main Ripbot icon, and a couple of server icons.

And yes, the only option is to "kill it" (Ripbot.exe, and whatever instances of Encoding Server that are showing), with Processhacker/task manager.

And btw, when I went to start the job queue, today (that I set up yesterday), without adding a thing, it would not start encoding the job's, UNTIL I aborted, and backed out of Ripbot, and restarted it, then it was fine....
I've had that too but not very often. I find it more stable than killing it to just restart Windows. Using Windows 10 only these days for encoding.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 18:29   #16306  |  Link
dracore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Let me guess you just manually ran EncodingClient.exe and then you clicked ON buttons?

By the way. Why did you use such weird number of servers? 2990WX has four numa nodes so you should use 4 or 8 servers (1-2 servers per numa node).
i used that many just to try and test - i added the ip adress ect to each server section and just sits at idle, ive also granted access through my firewall?

Last edited by dracore; 20th November 2018 at 18:34.
Old 20th November 2018, 19:48   #16307  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Strange thing is, I don't get any error pop up windows (using either W7, W10, or Windows Server 2019).

If I click on the taskbar server icon, it does not respond (I guess because it's stalled/errored).

If I use the X to close, there are "ghost" icons left in the taskbar, eg:- the main Ripbot icon, and a couple of server icons.

And yes, the only option is to "kill it" (Ripbot.exe, and whatever instances of Encoding Server that are showing), with Processhacker/task manager.

And btw, when I went to start the job queue, today (that I set up yesterday), without adding a thing, it would not start encoding the job's, UNTIL I aborted, and backed out of Ripbot, and restarted it, then it was fine....
Killing just EncodingServer.exe is not enough? You have to kill EncodingClient.exe and RipBot264.exe as well?
Old 21st November 2018, 00:01   #16308  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Killing just EncodingServer.exe is not enough? You have to kill EncodingClient.exe and RipBot264.exe as well?
For me I have to kill Ffmpeg.exe, which is the part that seems to get stuck and locks everything else up since I believe the Encoding Client and RipBot are waiting for that to end task.
Old 21st November 2018, 13:18   #16309  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Come on Atak, I was summarizing. I kill everything that is used by the Ripbot process.

And I have to thank bytshare for his comment, good to know that I am not the only one getting this random hiccup.

And yes, as a last resort, a Windows restart is a good option.

I need precise description what application is causing problems not some "summarization". You are not helping with that kind of bug report.
Old 21st November 2018, 13:27   #16310  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
For me I have to kill Ffmpeg.exe, which is the part that seems to get stuck and locks everything else up since I believe the Encoding Client and RipBot are waiting for that to end task.
add /restart-if-no-progress to EncodingServer.exe commandline.
This command will restart encoding on server if ffmpeg.exe and x264.exe/x265.exe are not using cpu cycles for 1 minute.

Basically I'm checking USER TIME for specific process. This value increases if application is working.
Old 21st November 2018, 14:53   #16311  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
So, I have this command in the commandline, set for 2 minutes...so how come it doesn't restart these random stall's that can't be stopped ??
You can easily check if that switch works by suspending ffmpeg.exe process in Process Hacker. After one minute EncodingServer will automatically restart encoding.

However I suspect that your issue is completely different. In your case whole EncodingServer.exe for some unknown reason hangs.
I would have to write additional small application to just monitor EncodingServer.exe in this case. That's why I need to know precisely what hangs.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 21st November 2018 at 14:58.
Old 21st November 2018, 17:18   #16312  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Interesting !!

So just out of interest, do you get the pop up window when a server stalls ???

I think I have only seen it on my W7 machine.....

Windows 7 display's it from the Taskbar, and W10 displays it from the bottom right hand corner (if memory serves me correctly)
I'm not 100%, I thought I do, but I'll keep an eye out for when it happens next so I can give accurate information.

Quote:
add /restart-if-no-progress to EncodingServer.exe commandline.
This command will restart encoding on server if ffmpeg.exe and x264.exe/x265.exe are not using cpu cycles for 1 minute.

Basically I'm checking USER TIME for specific process. This value increases if application is working.
Thank you. I'll get that set and see how it goes...might be a while before I report back on this because I wasn't having this issue very often.
Old 22nd November 2018, 01:14   #16313  |  Link
therealjoeblow

I used RipBot v1.23.1 to convert a 2160p HDR x265 video to a 1080p SDR x264 using the BT.2020->BT.709 Tonemap option, and while it did correct the HDR and remap the colors/levels, the end result still looks a bit too bright. Whites in very light scenes look a bit blown out, and during the end credits where the background should be pure black, it's not quite, its dark grey.

Almost like it needs TV->PC level conversion, but not quite - when I ran a second encode and added that option, then it was too dark, with blacks being crushed and losing all detail in dark parts throughout.

So it needs a tweak in-between.

Does anyone know if this is normal, and in that case, are there "standard" additional changes I would need to the brightness and contrast settings to get the levels correct? Or do I need to just keep doing test encodes until I find the right balance?
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:13   #16314  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Quote:
I've had this happen a couple of times...it can actually be the movie itself, does the original play "nice" ??

Are you forcing the BT.2020->BT.709 settings ?
I don't have a HDR TV so I don't know for sure if the source is correct.

I selected BT.2020->BT.709 in the Avisynth options, not sure what you mean by "forcing" it, but the encoded file appears to have correctly converted the HDR to SDR.

When I play the encoded x264 file back with MPCHC, if I go into the options under "video"..."color correction" and set brightness to -5, then the black levels are perfect - the credits are pure black as they should be, and the blown out light scenes look correct.

So I'm assuming that I need to set brightness to whatever the equivalent is in RipBot. In MPCHC, the brightness range is -100 to +100.

RipBot lets me change the brightness from -255 to +255 in the "Tweak Colors" setting. So would I set it for 5/100*255=-13??

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 22nd November 2018 at 02:22.
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:36   #16315  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
I used RipBot v1.23.1 to convert a 2160p HDR x265 video to a 1080p SDR x264 using the BT.2020->BT.709 Tonemap option, and while it did correct the HDR and remap the colors/levels, the end result still looks a bit too bright. Whites in very light scenes look a bit blown out, and during the end credits where the background should be pure black, it's not quite, its dark grey.

Almost like it needs TV->PC level conversion, but not quite - when I ran a second encode and added that option, then it was too dark, with blacks being crushed and losing all detail in dark parts throughout.

So it needs a tweak in-between.

Does anyone know if this is normal, and in that case, are there "standard" additional changes I would need to the brightness and contrast settings to get the levels correct? Or do I need to just keep doing test encodes until I find the right balance?
Tweak settings directly in DGHable plugin.
Help
Code:
Hable Usage
--------------

DGHable(clip, float exposure, float a, float b, float c, float d, float e, float f, float w)
exposure default: 2.0
a default: 0.15
b default: 0.50
c default: 0.10
d default: 0.20
e default: 0.02
f default: 0.30
w default: 11.2

Input must be CS_RGBPS, see z_ConvertFormat() in the script below.
If 'clip' is omitted, then as usual implicit last is used.

Meaning of Hable coefficients:

exposure: Gain to apply.
a: Shoulder strength
b: Linear strength
c: Linear angle
d: Toe strength
e: Toe numerator
f: Toe denominator
w: Linear white point

hable(x) = ((x*(a*x+c*b)+d*e) / (x*(a*x+b)+d*f)) - e/f
output_pixel = hable(exposure * input_pixel) / hable(w)
Default exposure value is 2.0

Click preview script to verify your new settings before encoding.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 22nd November 2018 at 12:39.
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:45   #16316  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Hi Atak, OK, so I did a fair bit of testing so I could give you as much info as I can, so here goes :-

I started an encode, and only had one server going, to make it a little easier to find in Process Hacker.

I suspended Encoder Client, and of course the encoding stopped immediately, after the allotted time (1 minute), it did NOT restart !

Once I got it going again, I then suspended Encoder Server, same result.

Then I suspended ffmpeg (that was in the Encoding Server "tree"), and that stopped the encoding, but it restarted in the allotted time

I then suspended x264.exe, same result as ffmpeg, test

Also, with Server suspended, the taskbar icon does not "Show", and that's what happens also, when it stall's on it's own, you can't access the properties of that particular stalled server to "see" what it's not doing.

So, maybe a resume command needs to be added for at least Encoding Server, if not Client as well.

Would this have any thing to do with the few comments I've made about the Job Queue not starting on the 1st startup of Ripbot ?? (which is equally annoying)

Hopefully, that's enough info for you, but I know you'll tell me if it's not

Cheers
I clearly said that /restart-if-no-progress switch will ONLY work for stalled ffmpeg.exe and x264.exe/x265.exe. EncodingServer.exe is constantly monitoring those processes. If you suspend EncodingServer.exe then how you expect this feature to work? The same with suspending EncodingClient.exe.
For suspended EncodingServer.exe you would need additional precess monitoring in the same way how EncodingServer.exe is monitoring own spawned processes.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 22nd November 2018 at 12:49.
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:53   #16317  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Hey Atak,

any chance of supporting OPENCL on XEONs? I got Support for OPENCL1.2 via Intel OpenCL Drivers for Xeon, works with luxmark. Ripbot recognizes it, butI canīt select it as a device for filters.
Yes, itīs slow, but better than nothing and 24 Threads are better than nothing
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:07   #16318  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
Hey Atak,

any chance of supporting OPENCL on XEONs? I got Support for OPENCL1.2 via Intel OpenCL Drivers for Xeon, works with luxmark. Ripbot recognizes it, butI canīt select it as a device for filters.
Yes, itīs slow, but better than nothing and 24 Threads are better than nothing
Since when Xeons have iGPU?
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:18   #16319  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Since when Xeons have iGPU?
AFAIR the newer ones even have iGPU, but I am talking about some older Models (Dual X5650)... Intel and AMD have Support for CPU-based OPEN CL. I tryed Staxrip with NLMEANS-CL, which works fine only on CPUs...
Since X264 doesnīt scale very good over 24 threads, I use the remaining for Filtering - having the opportunity to run OPENCL Filters gives me a nice option:

Sure itīs slow... But the Xeons are working in a swarm with more recent i5, i7, etc... All of them which have GPUs - so here I can use OPENCL Filters... Since the XEONs keep cyrcling in a dead loop as soon as an encode with opencl filters starts, I have to manualy take them out of the swarm (6 servers)... Would be lovely, if they participate, even if its a little slow...

The OPENCL Performance with NLMEANS plus X265 "very slow" encoding of 1080p of one of these XEON Servers is around the same as a Kaby-lake i5 with the iGPU doing the openCL encoding..
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 14:06   #16320  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Would be lovely, if they participate, even if its a little slow...
OpenCL only makes sense on GPU. I also tried KNLMeansCL on CPU but it was extremely slooooow on my E5-2690. KNLMeansCL is very demanding even on modern GPUs so I doubt that you will save alot of time running xeons in "ultra slow opencl emulation mode". You will basically create huge bottleneck in DE mode. It would be better if another i7 in your encoding team would take this job instead of those old xeons.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 23rd November 2018 at 14:11.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360