Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2010, 14:24   #10021  |  Link
deathlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
I have only had problem using two instance of eac3to when encoding to DTS using surcode, sometimes (rare cases) it happens that both instance use surcode at the same time and one instance finish before the other. Then it (sometimes) kills both process leaving a unfinished dts file. Maybe its the same that happens for you ?

You could properly check this by making a batch file with the same commandline repeated like 5-10 times and then just make it run over and over again to see if it fails at any point. If this work, then try to make 2 batch and run it at the same time. Dont use the same destination folder in both batch job, it will sure fuck it up.
I'm not using surcode. But the same could be happening with the arcsoft decoder. I'll give it a try, thanks for the input.
Old 24th May 2010, 15:13   #10022  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
same here. shutdown doesn't do anything on win7 prof (with admin rights).
Ok, I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlord View Post
I have just encoutered a nasty problem using eac3to 3.17.
When converting 5.1 48kHz dts files to 5.1 flac, eac3to just stopped without error, leaving an unfinished file and no log. It happen only with one file out of ten.
Even worse, rerunning the identical command line once more, the problem does not appear anymore.
This has happend twice in the last couple of days.
Could be a bug in eac3to. But since nobody else has reported a similar problem yet, I'd say there's a good chance that maybe your PC is unstable in some way? Don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlord View Post
Meanwhile, I have an idea what could be causing my problem. I remember running two instances of eac3to at the same time. Is this considered a bad idea?
I don't think so. Except maybe for Surcode encoding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorp View Post
I'm interested in slowing down some 24.000fps Blu-rays to 23.976fps, since it's the preferred standard for my 60hz sets. Most of them are originally 16-bit though, and since slowing them down with eac3to increases their bitdepth to 24-bit, that takes some of them over the 25GB limit for SL disc burning (after converted back to DTS-MA with the DTS encoder). I'm not gonna waste a BD50 to fit on an extra 800MB or so. I know I can reduce them back down to 16-bit with the -down16 option but I'm worried about the effect all the conversions would have on quality. 16->64->24->16 is a lot of steps. Should I just live with 24fps or will there not be any noticeable sound quality difference after all the conversions?
The biggest potential sound quality drop will come from resampling the audio. It's hard to say how big the difference will be, though. You can try comparing the 24.000 original to the 23.976 conversion with good headphones. You might hear a small change in the audio pitch (much much less than the PAL Micky Mouse effect, and in the opposite direction), but apart from that quality shouldn't suffer too much. eac3to does not usually do 16->64->24->16. Instead it directly does 16->64->16, if you specify "-down16". Of course if you slowdown first and save that as 24bit FLAC and then downsample to 16bit in a separate step you do have 16->64->24->16. But let me say that no human being is able to hear any quality loss caused from reducing 64->24. The experts all agree on that. Some experts even say that 24->16 does not cause any audible loss in quality, as long as proper dithering is applied (which eac3to does), but not everybody agrees here. If the 24->16 conversion does have a negative impact, it can only be a very slightly higher noise floor. If you want to go safe, you can use any bitdepth value between 24 and 16 bit. Every bit you lose saves space, when using lossless compression. E.g. use "-down18" to dither down to 18bit. That way the noise floor will be 4x lower than when using 16bit. But as I said before, the biggest quality issue will be the resampling itself.

BTW, personally I'm also modding all 24.000 Blu-Ray movies to 23.976. However, for such movies I store the original audio track, too, just to be safe...
Old 24th May 2010, 17:24   #10023  |  Link
rack04

Will eac3to be updated to support muxing with x264's new --fake-interlaced?

Quote:
Add "Fake interlaced" option

This encodes all frames progressively yet flags the stream as interlaced.

This makes it possible to encode valid 25p and 30p Blu-Ray streams.

Also put the pulldown help section in a more appropriate place.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:26   #10024  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Will eac3to be updated to support muxing with x264's new --fake-interlaced?
Does it not work right now?
Old 24th May 2010, 18:03   #10025  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does it not work right now?
Actually I think I jumped the gun. eac3to detects the source at 1080i60 and adds a fps value of 30000/1001 to the mkv header. So yes it works correctly. My apologies.

Code:
eac3to v3.18
command line: eac3to C:\Personal\Videos\hd_dts_sfx_long.264 C:\Personal\Videos\hd_dts_sfx_long.mkv
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
h264/AVC, 1080i60 /1.001 (16:9)
Muxing video to Matroska...
Added fps value to MKV header.
Video track contains 573 frames.
eac3to processing took 1 second.
Done.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:55   #10026  |  Link
TinTime

madshi

I've found a peculiarity when reducing the bit depth of a file. I've got a sample here to reproduce the problem (if it is a problem).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yynhfkqgzm2/test1 24.flac

If I try to reduce the bit depth from 24 to, say, 20 bits I get the following log:

Code:
eac3to v3.18
command line: "D:\Vtemp\programs\eac3to\eac3to.exe"  "E:\Video\test\eac3to test\test1 24.flac" "E:\Video\test\eac3to test\test1 20.flac" -down20
FLAC, 5.1 channels, 0:00:18, 24 bits, 4786kbps, 48khz
Decoding FLAC...
Reducing depth from 24 to 20 bits...
Encoding FLAC with libFlac...
Creating file "E:\Video\test\eac3to test\test1 20.flac"...
The original audio track has a constant bit depth of 24 bits.
Processed audio track, L+LFE: constant bit depth of 20 bits.
Processed audio track, R+C+SL+SR: max 24 bits, average 20 bits.
eac3to processing took 3 seconds.
Done.
Why would there still be 24 bit samples or is the eac3to log in error?

Thank you!
Old 25th May 2010, 17:40   #10027  |  Link
TinTime

Sorry, looks like mediafire is down.

Here's another link:

http://www.tintime.talktalk.net/test1 24.flac
Old 27th May 2010, 12:27   #10028  |  Link
nibus
Telewhining

Hi guys, I'm trying to encode a 6.1 DTS to a 5.1 AAC track with eac3to (using NeroAacEnc.exe for the AAC conversion).

I've encoded the DTS straight to a wav:

Code:
eac3to input.dts output.wav -libav
(I can't get Arcsoft to work correctly so I figure I'll just use 5.1 with libav)

But this wav is not playable in any player, and when I try to encode it with NeroAacEnc.exe it gives me this error:

Code:
ERROR:  Invalid Channel Mask
In the logs, eac3to says it is extracting the core from the DTS, so shouldn't that bring it down to a 5.1 track that Nero would recognize? How do I convert a 6.1 DTS track to a 5.1 Wav that Nero will recognize and encode properly?

I'm just looking for as close of a lossless > 5.1 AAC solution as possible, and I would prefer to use the newest version of the Nero encoder. I am hesitant to encode from a low bitrate of 448kbps AC3 and would prefer to encode straight from the DTS source file.

thanks
Old 27th May 2010, 12:56   #10029  |  Link
TinTime

Just allow eac3to to handle it all. Make sure that NeroAacEnc.exe is in the same directory as eac3to.

Code:
eac3to input.dts output.m4a -quality=value between 0.00 and 1.00
Old 27th May 2010, 20:06   #10030  |  Link
nibus
Telewhining

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
Just allow eac3to to handle it all. Make sure that NeroAacEnc.exe is in the same directory as eac3to.

Code:
eac3to input.dts output.m4a -quality=value between 0.00 and 1.00
Oh cool - I must have misunderstood the documentation. I thought it did not support the new version of the encoder. Thanks for your help.

edit: I do have a couple more questions -

1) Are most of you going with the eac3to default and removing Dynamic Range Compression? I assume this would be the most accurate reproduction of the original audio track, but in all honesty, it makes it hard to watch some movies because of the extreme difference in sound.
2) When listening to the final encoded AAC file (from 6.1 DTS) it is much quieter than when I encode to an AC3 file. I assume this is because of DirectShow filters. I wasn't able to find any volume settings in the ffdshow config to adjust volume for AAC audio. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

Last edited by nibus; 27th May 2010 at 21:50.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:16   #10031  |  Link
nurbs

1) Depending on the hardware and software you use for playback DRC can be done on the fly, so it's not that big of an issue.
Old 28th May 2010, 18:50   #10032  |  Link
b66pak

Quote:
2) When listening to the final encoded AAC file (from 6.1 DTS) it is much quieter than when I encode to an AC3 file. I assume this is because of DirectShow filters. I wasn't able to find any volume settings in the ffdshow config to adjust volume for AAC audio. Does anyone know how to remedy this?
do:

Code:
eac3to input.dts output.m4a -quality=value between 0.00 and 1.00 -normalize
_
Old 28th May 2010, 20:26   #10033  |  Link
nibus
Telewhining

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
do:

Code:
eac3to input.dts output.m4a -quality=value between 0.00 and 1.00 -normalize
_
Thanks b66
Old 28th May 2010, 21:09   #10034  |  Link
iSeries

Hi,

A question about the -down16 command.

In the past I have been saving my blu ray collection as MKV's with FLAC audio tracks, preserving the original bit depth. I'm now running a bit short on space and using the -down16 command gives me some real space savings. I remember that I've done some backups and eac3to says something along the lines of a 24 bit audio track really being 16 bit, and that the padding will be removed in a 2nd pass.

Now the question! If I just put in the -down16 command will eac3to behave in the same way when it comes to 24 bit padded audio tracks and just remove the padding in a 2nd pass? Or does it blindly dither down to 16 bit without checking?
Old 30th May 2010, 12:57   #10035  |  Link
nibus
Telewhining

I have one more quick question -

In your opinion, is buying the Arcsoft suite worth the money for the quality difference between it and regular LibAV (when encoding from DTS)? I've read that the newer versions of LibAV are just as good but I would like to hear some more input on the matter.

And no I'm not asking which is best, just what you prefer.
Old 30th May 2010, 13:54   #10036  |  Link
tebasuna51

Libav don't decode DTS-HD.
BTW, you can use trial versions of ArcSoft to do the job. See this post http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...77#post1398577
Old 31st May 2010, 09:38   #10037  |  Link
nibus
Telewhining

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Libav don't decode DTS-HD.
BTW, you can use trial versions of ArcSoft to do the job. See this post http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...77#post1398577
Thanks, I've now installed it and successfully encoded two 5.1 DTS tracks. However I have tried a 6.1 track and the encoded file plays back too slow and extremely distorted, like it's coming out of a clock radio speaker under water....

No errors or indications during the encoding process. I've tried encoding it in Windows 7 and XP, both with the same result. Is the Arcsoft decoder unable to to decode some 6.1 tracks? Nero and LibAV handle it fine but without the full information like you stated.
Old 31st May 2010, 11:44   #10038  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibus View Post
However I have tried a 6.1 track and the encoded file plays back too slow and extremely distorted, like it's coming out of a clock radio speaker under water...
Please put the full log file.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:42   #10039  |  Link
nibus
Telewhining

(Long encoding time because I'm running another encoding project at 90% cpu)

Code:
eac3to v3.18
command line: eac3to.exe  F:\Encode\BluRay\X3\BDMV\STREAM\input.dts F:\Encode\BluRay\X3\BDMV\STREAM\output.m4a -quality=0.40
DTS Master Audio, 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
(core: DTS-ES, 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 1509kbps, 48khz)
NeroAacEnc doesn't support 6.1 encoding. Will double the 7th channel.
Doubling 7th channel...
Decoding with ArcSoft DTS Decoder...
Remapping channels...
Encoding AAC <0.40> with NeroAacEnc...
The original audio track has a constant bit depth of 24 bits.
The processed audio track has a constant bit depth of 24 bits.
eac3to processing took 29 minutes, 42 seconds.
Done.
thanks for your help!
Old 31st May 2010, 14:48   #10040  |  Link
tebasuna51

I can't reproduce your problem, works fine for me.
Maybe have you more than one encode project at same time?
Seems don't work always.

Tags
eac3to