Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 10th January 2010, 22:55   #10201  |  Link
Exiton

Does anyone know how to get FFDSHOW to pass through an embeded AC3 file in a TrueHD track?
Exiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 23:20   #10202  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiton View Post
Does anyone know how to get FFDSHOW to pass through an embeded AC3 file in a TrueHD track?
under codecs, set TrueHD to disabled, and enable AC3 pass through. I think this should work.
tal.aloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 01:33   #10203  |  Link
Exiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post
under codecs, set TrueHD to disabled, and enable AC3 pass through. I think this should work.
Hmmm, still no go. I disabled TrueHD under "Codecs" then had pass-through checked under "Output" all along. I'll try it on another computer and see if that changes things.
Exiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 05:29   #10204  |  Link
andybkma

Hi, using the new ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder with the newest version of Zoom Player Pro, I get no video picture, just a grey screen. Normally use madVR as my renderer but all I get is grey when using the DXVA Video Decoder. My H264 video file is playing and the video/audio codecs are working as they should be I just don't get a picture. I tried switching to Haali's renderer, VMR9, VMR7 and just the overlay mixer. Still no picture. When I turn off the DXVA H264 codec and fall back to ffmpeg-mt then the picture is fine.

I've tried ffdshow Revisions 3189, 3190 by clisd & 3195 by XhmikosR. No change. I even checked all colorspaces in ffdshow output. No change. XP, SP3 & using nNvidia driver 182.08 with my 8600m GT if this makes a difference.

Any thoughts? Cheers...

Last edited by andybkma; 11th January 2010 at 09:17.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 06:01   #10205  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Your experieces compiling are much appreciated. Could you please help to update the wiki?
Yes, I have just finished updating it: link
Old 11th January 2010, 06:53   #10206  |  Link
betaking
Fantasy Codecs writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
Just a heads up, I'm not sure if it's a regression issue or just a screw-up with the build numbering, but ffmpeg-mt H.264 decoding is broken in build 3190 (non DXVA decoder), works in build 3189.
test last ffdshow 3195 use ffmpeg-mt H.264 decoding by zoomplayer 7.00 Home max! play is fine!

Last edited by betaking; 11th January 2010 at 14:03.
betaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 09:22   #10207  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaking View Post
test last ffdshow 3195 use ffmpeg-mt H.264 decoding by zoomplayer 7.00 Home max! play is fine!
Build 3190 ffmpeg-mt works for me, too. I don't get a picture though using the new DXVA codec (see above posting). BTW, betaking, what skin is that for Zoom Player you are using and where can I find? Is mighty nice. Cheers
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 09:55   #10208  |  Link
teohhanhui

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post
should be fixed. let us know.

Thanks,
Tal
Yes, it has been fixed. Thanks.
teohhanhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 10:03   #10209  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
BTW, betaking, what skin is that for Zoom Player you are using and where can I find? Is mighty nice. Cheers
*OFFTOPIC* I'm not betaking, but will answer It's Fusion theme, it is bundled with ZP7, check Open Interface -> Skin Selector.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 10:15   #10210  |  Link
liquidskin76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiton View Post
Hmmm, still no go. I disabled TrueHD under "Codecs" then had pass-through checked under "Output" all along. I'll try it on another computer and see if that changes things.
Hi Exiton,

TrueHD isn't like DTS-HD where you can bitstream the core DTS file. The core on TrueHD files isn't accessible.

That's why a separate AC3 sound track (matching the TrueHD language) is always included on the BD disc.
liquidskin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:32   #10211  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

What are the hardware requirement for DXVA (minimum ATI/NVIDIA/INTEL model required) ?

I have an NVIDIA 7600GT and the DXVA filter wont even connect to the EVR.
Also, why is H.264/VC1 disabled (unchecked) by default on the "Hardware Acceleration" tab, Isn't the whole purpose of a separate DXVA filter to ensure that DXVA wont interfere with standard usage of ffdshow?
Old 11th January 2010, 12:37   #10212  |  Link
betaking
Fantasy Codecs writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
What are the hardware requirement for DXVA (minimum ATI/NVIDIA/INTEL model required) ?

I have an NVIDIA 7600GT and the DXVA filter wont even connect to the EVR.
Also, why is H.264/VC1 disabled (unchecked) by default on the "Hardware Acceleration" tab, Isn't the whole purpose of a separate DXVA filter to ensure that DXVA wont interfere with standard usage of ffdshow?
DXVA Support:

Modern video graphics card have the possibility to decode partially or completely a video using DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) and reduces CPU usage. MPC - HC has an embedded video decoder using this technology to decode H.264, VC-1 video. Unfortunately this decoder supports for the moment only bitstream mode, which means that only most recent graphic cards are supported.

* ATI Radeon™ HD, ATI HD3850/3870/4850/4870/5800, AMD Hybrid CrossFireX™ 780G series for H.264 & VC-1
* nVidia GeForce 8500, 8600, 9600 or better

DXVA is quite susceptible, so if you want to use it you have to respect those rules:

* Windows XP, Vista and 7
* For Windows XP users, select Overlay Mixer, WMR7(9) or VMR7(9) Renderless
* For Vista users, select EVR or EVR Custom
* For DXVA and subtitles support select VMR7(9) Renderless or EVR Custom.
* Video decoder should be connected directly to the renderer. This means that no intermediate filters such as DirectVobSub or ffdshow can be inserted between decoder and video renderer.
* DXVA compliant x264 encoded files.
INTEL G4500HD Support DXVA !ONLY For vista and windows7!

Last edited by betaking; 11th January 2010 at 12:56.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:57   #10213  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidskin76 View Post
Hi Exiton,

TrueHD isn't like DTS-HD where you can bitstream the core DTS file. The core on TrueHD files isn't accessible.

That's why a separate AC3 sound track (matching the TrueHD language) is always included on the BD disc.
That's not true : TrueHD streams are like MLP except that they have AC3 frames interweaved, so there are 3 modes supported by FFDShow :
- TrueHD decoding : enable TrueHD decoder and uncheck TrueHD bitstream
- TrueHD bitstream : enable TrueHD decoder and check TrueHD bitstream
- AC3 core : disable TrueHD decoder but AC3 decoder is enabled or AC3 passthrough is enabled (and in that case the AC3 blocks are extracted to be decoded or bitstreamed)

Same thing for DTS-HD
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 13:16   #10214  |  Link
tal.aloni

@andybkma
can you use DXVA with MPC-HC or MPC video decoder? (see codec properties during playback to make sure DXVA bitstream is actually used)

Last edited by tal.aloni; 13th January 2010 at 10:32.
tal.aloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 13:23   #10215  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaking View Post
DXVA Support:

Modern video graphics card have the possibility to decode partially or completely a video using DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) and reduces CPU usage. MPC - HC has an embedded video decoder using this technology to decode H.264, VC-1 video. Unfortunately this decoder supports for the moment only bitstream mode, which means that only most recent graphic cards are supported.

* ATI Radeon™ HD, ATI HD3850/3870/4850/4870/5800, AMD Hybrid CrossFireX™ 780G series for H.264 & VC-1
* nVidia GeForce 8500, 8600, 9600 or better

DXVA is quite susceptible, so if you want to use it you have to respect those rules:

* Windows XP, Vista and 7
* For Windows XP users, select Overlay Mixer, WMR7(9) or VMR7(9) Renderless
* For Vista users, select EVR or EVR Custom
* For DXVA and subtitles support select VMR7(9) Renderless or EVR Custom.
* Video decoder should be connected directly to the renderer. This means that no intermediate filters such as DirectVobSub or ffdshow can be inserted between decoder and video renderer.
* DXVA compliant x264 encoded files.
INTEL G4500HD Support DXVA !ONLY For vista and windows7!
That information is taken from 1st post in MPC-HC thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123537

But I have a few questions:
1. What is WMR and how to enable it?
2. Does DXVA work with VMR7 Renderless?

Information on MPC-HC homepage is a bit old but is more correct in my opinion: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html
Quote:
Modern graphics card offer the possibility to decode partially or completely a video stream using DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA), in order to reduce CPU usage dramatically. MPC-HC includes an embedded video decoder that uses this technology, to decode H.264 and VC-1 with hardly any CPU time required.

Unfortunately the MPC-HC decoder only supports the "bitstream mode" at this stage, which means that only the most recent graphic cards are supported :

* nVidia series 8(9)xxx for H.264 only
* ATI Radeon HD series for H.264 and VC-1 decoding

"Motion compensation" mode might be added in the future to increase compatibility with older graphic cards, but I cannot promise anything. Mpeg2 and WMV accelerations are not supported either.

DXVA is quite picky, so if you want to use it you have to respect those rules :

* Windows XP users, select Overlay Mixer, VMR7, VMR9 or VMR9 renderless
* Vista users, select EVR or EVR custom renderer

The MPC-HC Video decoder must be connected directly to the renderer. That means no intermediate filters such as DirectVobSub or ffdshow can be inserted between the decoder and the video renderer.
Internal subtitles can work with the MPC Video decoder in DXVA mode, but the rules are even more restrictive :

* Windows XP users, select VMR9 renderless
* Vista users, select EVR custom renderer
* In "Options / Playback", tick the checkbox "Auto-load subtitles"

Warning for ATI users : VC1 acceleration is broken in 8.6 release (green frames appears randomly during playback). If you experiments such trouble, please revert to 8.5 build.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 13:41   #10216  |  Link
mikelebron

if that is the case then decoding the core only from a tru HD track is broken.

None of my true HD tracks play only the ac3 core but when the truehd decoder is enable track plays fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by albain View Post
That's not true : TrueHD streams are like MLP except that they have AC3 frames interweaved, so there are 3 modes supported by FFDShow :
- TrueHD decoding : enable TrueHD decoder and uncheck TrueHD bitstream
- TrueHD bitstream : enable TrueHD decoder and check TrueHD bitstream
- AC3 core : disable TrueHD decoder but AC3 decoder is enabled or AC3 passthrough is enabled (and in that case the AC3 blocks are extracted to be decoded or bitstreamed)

Same thing for DTS-HD
mikelebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:01   #10217  |  Link
betaking
Fantasy Codecs writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Egorych View Post
That information is taken from 1st post in MPC-HC thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123537

Information on MPC-HC homepage is a bit old but is more correct in my opinion: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html
I don't know WMR too. sorry!
I use vista,so i can not test it!may be some xp user can test it!
Old 11th January 2010, 14:29   #10218  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelebron View Post
if that is the case then decoding the core only from a tru HD track is broken.

None of my true HD tracks play only the ac3 core but when the truehd decoder is enable track plays fine
I didn't know for TrueHD, but I recently received a bug report for DTS core regarding DTS-HD streams.
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:55   #10219  |  Link
iron2000
Questioning User

Went back to 32bit ffdshow to try the DXVA function.

Build 3195 works well.
No blue tones, no green picture.
But on seek there is a slowdown and sometimes artifacts start appearing, picture starts to lag exploding with multicolored squares.
Seeking is also faster on the non-DXVA ffdshow.
Also the video is a little choppy on start(first few seconds) compared to the non-DXVA ffdshow.
Result vary with different videos though.

Last edited by iron2000; 11th January 2010 at 15:07.
iron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 15:04   #10220  |  Link
hoborg

Stupid question, but what should happend when i will try to play h.264 video if my hardware doesnot support DXVA?

ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder is loaded and report DXVA not used or ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder failed to load and ffdshow Video Decoder is used instead?

I am asking becouse ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder failed to connect to VMR9 renderer in graphstudio here on my working machine based on "Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (i945G0)"
I think this iGPU doesnot support NV12 colorpace (FFDshow crash if i will try to play MPEG-2i stream and disable all output and keep NV12) - can be related?

How to start with Bitcoin

Last edited by hoborg; 11th January 2010 at 15:07.
hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl