Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 8th February 2008, 17:58   #3141  |  Link
clsid

And it is probably a bug in libavcodec. So there is not much we can do about it.
Old 8th February 2008, 21:39   #3142  |  Link
Delerue

Today I tried to encode a xVid file with x264 using VirtualDub 1.6.19 + FFDShow 1850, but the results were not good. As you can see, the original xVid has more red, and less green than the encoded x264. Using AutoMKV the x264 encode is fine. The samples:

http://www.zshare.net/download/73239907607157/ (8.5 MB)

I used 'one pass - quality' with quality set to 65.
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 23:26   #3143  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
@leeperry,swalker
I don't have time now. Please wait.
ok cool, no problem

actually, I've updated my report about the winamp2 plugin support here :
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=3111

basically it's giving audio jitter after 15 mins, and there's a bug that crashes the player when you open new files.

for your help!
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 12:37   #3144  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

To the developers, Clsid, XXL, Harahiko, and Leak.
I ask, is all the major development done and now your just working on bugs and stability?

And I wanted to tell you about a bug for about a year now, but never bothered.

In the install, when it asks you what programs for audio and video.
I select mpc and a few other programs, about 4. And I get these popups asking me if I should use ffdshow on it or not. Things like my widgets and the ccc lcd overdrive.

But, if I don't pick specific programs during install, I never get these popups asking for permission.

heh heh. That bug has bothered my for maybe 2 years, I dunno. I forget now.
Old 9th February 2008, 13:42   #3145  |  Link
clsid

That is not a bug. The installer lets you choose to enable the "whitelist" or not. If enabled it will show a prompt whenever an unknown application tries to use ffdshow.

You can't select specific applications from the list. The list that is shown is the entire whitelist.
Old 9th February 2008, 13:51   #3146  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You can't select specific applications from the list. The list that is shown is the entire whitelist.
Maybe someone could make the list "un-editable".
Or: Is that list even necessary? Does actually someone go through that list during setup? I think Joe Sixpack doesn't bother and just clicks "Next, Next, Next,...".
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 15:52   #3147  |  Link
clsid

I agree, just a few checkboxes should be enough imo. However, Haruhiko preferred if the list itself is also displayed. I don't know if he still thinks that. He has to comment about that himself.

I would suggest two checkboxes (on the tasks page):
Code:
[ ] Restrict usage of the ffdshow filters to whitelisted applications
 |--[ ]Show prompt for applications that are not on the whitelist/blacklist
Old 9th February 2008, 16:06   #3148  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
I agree, just a few checkboxes should be enough imo. However, Haruhiko preferred if the list itself is also displayed. I don't know if he still thinks that. He has to comment about that himself.
Yes, he has put a lot of effort into that feature.

Quote:
That's even better than what I had in mind: Putting both "Management of Comp..." into one page for both audio and video (separately configurable). That would reduce the number of steps to go through by 1. Your approach is better but it'll get crowded in the task page. Maybe it's time for a "recommended" and "custom" installation routine...
Old 10th February 2008, 15:21   #3149  |  Link
compunett

It might have been already answered, but i didnt found the post or the thread talking about it.

So the development of the EAC3 codec seems working and jruggle commited it in the mplayer repository. It seems the decode is called ffac3 (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...08#post1088908) . I also saw that the open MLP / DTS TrueHD was commited in the repository.

However the latest installer of ffdshow don't show any information on them, and of course ffdshow doesn't decode them.

Is there a still some work to do on this matter, either on ffdshow, on mpc, or matroska splitter. (As they are part of my current configuration).

tia for your information.

Btw I express my utmost consideration to your work that has already been done, it's a fantastic work, credits goes as well to the mplayer team
compunett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 16:28   #3150  |  Link
clsid

No work is being done on it. We use the decoding code from FFmpeg, and no EAC3 decoder has been committed to that repository yet.
Old 10th February 2008, 19:28   #3151  |  Link
compunett

Ok, thx for the information.

Just for my understanding, isn't ffmpeg and mplayer very related, I mean libavformat and libavcodec are shared or the same on these two projects ?
Old 10th February 2008, 19:48   #3152  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Only in that sense. Otherwise, we use what's in ffmpeg's repository.
Old 10th February 2008, 20:01   #3153  |  Link
compunett

Ok, so probably there is some syncing to be done on both repositories, between mpleyer and ffmpeg.
I saw on mplayer svn a few commits from jruggle.

Anyway thx for the information
Old 11th February 2008, 01:43   #3154  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

is it possible to decode ac3/dts with the ffdshow audio decoder, and also get it through the winamp2 plugin ?
it seems to only work with external filters.

TIA,

Last edited by leeperry; 11th February 2008 at 01:50.
Old 11th February 2008, 13:17   #3155  |  Link
taklubaba

"Error: PROPFIND request failed on '/svnroot/ffdshow-tryout/trunk'
Error: PROPFIND of '/svnroot/ffdshow-tryout/trunk': could not connect to server (https://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourceforge.net)
"

I have tried mentioning the proxy address and port.
But TortoiseSVN is not able to connect to the server.
I have tried to checkout the code from SVN server using tortoiseSVN, from a PC with no firewall and no proxy. Yet I get the same error message.

Has anyone faced this problem?
Can anyone try checking out https://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourcefor...w-tryout/trunk
using TortoiseSVN on a Windows XP platform?

Thanks,
Taklu.
taklubaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 14:00   #3156  |  Link
clsid

Works fine for me. Are you able to visit the url with your browser?
Old 11th February 2008, 18:07   #3157  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Works absolutely fine for me, running WinXP MCE2K5, TortoiseSVN, and successfully checked out ffdshow-tryouts. So it must be something your end.
Old 12th February 2008, 13:24   #3158  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
You can edit the whitelist there, can't you?
Quote:

Code:
[ ] Restrict usage of the ffdshow filters to whitelisted applications
 |--[ ]Show prompt for applications that are not on the whitelist/blacklist
As I explained to clsid before, the installer show those pages to let users know about the whitelist feature.
Users have to know about it IMO.
I don't expect users to check/uncheck or edit anything in the pages (although they can do it).
People wouldn't be too happy if the dialog box suddenly pops up to prompt them to allow/reject the use of ffdshow.

The installer show two pages, for video and audio, which is too much. But the settings are separate, and it won't look very nice if I try to squash both in one page.
Old 12th February 2008, 13:32   #3159  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

oh btw haruhiko_yamagata, you can forget about my request for better winamp2 plugin support in ffdshow audio.

I've run many tests these past days and the only way to get a *rock stable* 24.000 FPS frame rate in 48 Hz in MPC HC is to use the following filters :

-ffdshow video decoder(for h264)
-haali's media splitter(gabest's splitter is not as accurate, and neither is KMP's splitter)
-intervideo audio decoder
-EVR

if I add the "ffdshow audio processor", after 30 to 50 minutes I get a lot of jitter in MPC HC

I guess the timing of the audio part of ffdshow is not really tight, and it shows
Old 12th February 2008, 14:28   #3160  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
You can edit the whitelist there, can't you?
Nope, just an independent listing of the whitelist regkey.

Quote:
As I explained to clsid before, the installer show those pages to let users know about the whitelist feature.
I think we need to look at this more from a "normal user"-perspective. "Normal users" just want things to work. They don't read and don't want to read anything during setup because they assume that the application is already using optimal settings.
But what may be optimal for a "normal user", may not be for us "advanced users".
So the question is: Who do we aim at with the current installer? The regular Joe Sixpack or the A/V enthusiast?
If it's the former then the current setup routine is too "much", if it's the latter then don't change a thing.

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl