Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 25th September 2008, 13:12   #1  |  Link
m1482

Changing Blu-Ray structure to AVCHD ???

After creating a Blu-Ray structure with TsMuxer (H264 and AC3 files), is there an easy way to change it to the AVCHD format ?
Even that this 2 formats are similar, they are not the same, and my player works better with AVCHD !!!

Thanks for any help...
m1482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 09:55   #2  |  Link
mmace

thought they were identical but AVCHD is on a DVD?

I burnt the same files to DVD as I did to BD-R, one was recognised as BDMV (BD-R) and the other as AVCHD (DVD)

created with TsMuxeR
mmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:06   #3  |  Link
turbojet

AVC Me will rename BD files to AVCHD but you'll still have to make some of the directories.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:51   #4  |  Link
m1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
AVC Me will rename BD files to AVCHD but you'll still have to make some of the directories.
Sorry, but I cannot download the file, the link doesn't work...
m1482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 13:05   #5  |  Link

Link works fine for me.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 22:41   #6  |  Link
nwg

I found normal BDMV file structure works fine on a DVD and a player that does AVCHD playback. However, I found if I went to a double layer size, the increased bitrate would make it stutter. As long as it is on one single layer DVD and lower bitrates. I got excellent results.

All I had to to is burn just the bdmv folder to a DVD. It seems a AVCHD structure does not include the certificate folder.

It is down to processing power and a PS3 should play a double layer ok.

That link doesn't work for me either. I get a bad link error when I try to download it.

Last edited by nwg; 9th October 2008 at 22:43.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 23:18   #7  |  Link
odin24

AVCHD-ME alternate link

http://www.mediafire.com/?ywt2wysnzb1

Awesome application, I mainly use it to verify subtitle position when I do my own AVCHD discs. My playback device is the PS3.
odin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 23:49   #8  |  Link
nwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin24 View Post
http://www.mediafire.com/?ywt2wysnzb1

Awesome application, I mainly use it to verify subtitle position when I do my own AVCHD discs. My playback device is the PS3.
Thanks. I found a description and it said that it renames for FAT32 drives. If that is the case, then I don't need it as I use NTFS. Does it do anything else?
Old 10th October 2008, 00:04   #9  |  Link
odin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwg View Post
Thanks. I found a description and it said that it renames for FAT32 drives. If that is the case, then I don't need it as I use NTFS. Does it do anything else?
Not that I'm aware of. Try it, it may work for NTFS as well, I have never tried because my player is the PS3. I do believe this works for stand alone players that can do AVCHD as well.

Basically this program tricks the player into thinking the USB is an actual AVCHD disc, so as long as your stand alone can play media from a USB you should be good.

Like I said, I use this for authoring purposes, not neccesarily for entire movie playback.
Old 11th October 2008, 13:07   #10  |  Link
kaid

Quote:
Basically this program tricks the player into thinking the USB is an actual AVCHD disc, so as long as your stand alone can play media from a USB you should be good.
That's BS, there's no "tricks" involved (like with H.264 in VOB containers). FAT32 is in the AVCHD standard, because many of the new HD-cameras (e.g. Sony's) record onto FAT32 Flash (or even HD) like this, so this has to work on the PS3...
kaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 13:12   #11  |  Link
kaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwg View Post
You don't understand: The FAT32 version of AVCHD *is* available only on FAT32 devices! That's like saying "I don't need UDF for DVD authoring, I'm using Joliet on my DVDs"

Doesn't matter what you have the stuff on while you work on it, but in order to play an AVCHD structure on an AVCHD compliant player, you need to put it on a FAT32 volume (Flash, HD)...
Old 11th October 2008, 13:15   #12  |  Link
kaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1482 View Post
After creating a Blu-Ray structure with TsMuxer (H264 and AC3 files), is there an easy way to change it to the AVCHD format ?
Even that this 2 formats are similar, they are not the same, and my player works better with AVCHD !!!

Thanks for any help...
Here's the relevant part of my menu-generator-script that does this:

Code:
cd AVCHD
for file in `find . -name "MovieObject.bdmv"`; do newfile=`echo $file | sed 's/MovieObject.bdmv/MOVIEOBJ.BDM/'` ; mv $file $newfile; done
for file in `find . -name "index.bdmv"`; do newfile=`echo $file | sed 's/index.bdmv/INDEX.BDM/'` ; mv $file $newfile; done
for file in `find . -name "*.mpls"`; do newfile=`echo $file | sed 's/mpls/MPL/'` ; mv $file $newfile; done
for file in `find . -name "*.clpi"`; do newfile=`echo $file | sed 's/clpi/CPI/'` ; mv $file $newfile; done
for file in `find . -name "*.m2ts"`; do newfile=`echo $file | sed 's/m2ts/MTS/'` ; mv $file $newfile; done
cd ..
Needs BASH, on whatever system! ;-)
Old 11th October 2008, 13:33   #13  |  Link
odin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaid View Post
That's BS, there's no "tricks" involved (like with H.264 in VOB containers). FAT32 is in the AVCHD standard, because many of the new HD-cameras (e.g. Sony's) record onto FAT32 Flash (or even HD) like this, so this has to work on the PS3...

Raw m2ts on the PS3 (or USB stick) is no problem, AVCHD on a DVD is no problem, however an AVCHD structured file on a USB stick without the renamed files does not work on the PS3... this is where the AVCHD-ME application comes in.

Maybe I was clear enough in my earlier post, I wasn't stating the PS3 isn't compatible with AVCHD, I was saying that without AVCHD-ME you cannot view AVCHD on a USB stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaid
Doesn't matter what you have the stuff on while you work on it, but in order to play an AVCHD structure on an AVCHD compliant player, you need to put it on a FAT32 volume (Flash, HD)...
I'm not following you here... what about DVD as media, AVCHD can be played on a DVD, or am I totally not getting what you are trying to say???

Last edited by odin24; 11th October 2008 at 13:38.
Old 11th October 2008, 14:14   #14  |  Link
kaid

Quote:
Raw m2ts on the PS3 (or USB stick) is no problem, AVCHD on a DVD is no problem, however an AVCHD structured file on a USB stick without the renamed files does not work on the PS3... this is where the AVCHD-ME application comes in.

Maybe I was clear enough in my earlier post, I wasn't stating the PS3 isn't compatible with AVCHD, I was saying that without AVCHD-ME you cannot view AVCHD on a USB stick.
You still don't understand: The AVCHD structure *is* the 8.3 one! That's the one that HD-cameras record in! The other one with the longer filenames and the /CERTIFICATE folder is a BD structure that just happens to work on DVD as well!

Quote:
I'm not following you here... what about DVD as media, AVCHD can be played on a DVD, or am I totally not getting what you are trying to say???
Yes, there are also HD-cameras that record onto mini-DVD. But from what I gathered thus far they also all record in the 8.3 FAT32 structure. There's some sources on the web that say there's a different AVCHD structure for optical media and FAT32 and that the optical media/long filename/UDF 2.5 one is used in cameras with DVD, but I doubt that meanwhile. I think the long filename one is essentially a Bluray structure and that AVCHD is always 8.3!
Old 11th October 2008, 14:44   #15  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Hmmm....

I have a Panasonic TV with an SD card slot, which allows playback of AVCHD files.

I've been trying to generate compatible muxes using AVCHD Me, but sadly they don't work at all. The TV is unable to find and list any files

Cheers
Old 11th October 2008, 14:50   #16  |  Link
odin24

Quote:
You still don't understand: The AVCHD structure *is* the 8.3 one! That's the one that HD-cameras record in! The other one with the longer filenames and the /CERTIFICATE folder is a BD structure that just happens to work on DVD as well!

Yes, there are also HD-cameras that record onto mini-DVD. But from what I gathered thus far they also all record in the 8.3 FAT32 structure. There's some sources on the web that say there's a different AVCHD structure for optical media and FAT32 and that the optical media/long filename/UDF 2.5 one is used in cameras with DVD, but I doubt that meanwhile. I think the long filename one is essentially a Bluray structure and that AVCHD is always 8.3!
OK then, I think I'm starting to understand, it's just a little confusing at first. What throws me off is when I insert a DVD, with HD content with the BD structure, in my PS3... the icon says "AVCHD", that same material on a BD it says BD-ROM.

I think I'll read up on the topic a little more to gather further understanding. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11th October 2008, 14:54   #17  |  Link
kabanero

I see some confusion here.

Using Nero Vision 5 (Nero 8 package) as example:

When you author AVCHD and burn project to DVD+-R/RW, Nero Vision burns disk with UDF 2.5 format and with these file extensions:

.bdmv
.m2ts
.mpls
.clpi

All file names are LOWER case.

--------------

When you author AVCHD and burn project to hard drive folder, Nero Vision creates BDMV folder with these file extensions:

.BDM
.CPI
.MPL
.MTS

All files are UPPER case and follow 8.3 naming convention.

Then you can copy AVCHD (with BDMV) folder to USB flash drive or external HDD and play it on PS3. Drives MUST be formatted with FAT32.

Period.

-----------------

When you use tsMuxer to generate BD disk structure and then burn to:

1. DVD+R/RW -PS3 shows the disk as AVCHD.

2. BD-R/RE - PS3 shows the disk as BDMV.

Last edited by kabanero; 11th October 2008 at 14:58.
kabanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 15:02   #18  |  Link
kaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Hmmm....

I have a Panasonic TV with an SD card slot, which allows playback of AVCHD files.

I've been trying to generate compatible muxes using AVCHD Me, but sadly they don't work at all. The TV is unable to find and list any files

Cheers
Wasn't there something about Panasonic-AVCHD requiring the files to be in a special folder? I gotta go, I'll look it up later!...
Old 11th October 2008, 16:17   #19  |  Link
nwg

Quote:

My Sony S350 BD player uses UDF 2.50 for BD/AVCHD on optical. I have done AVCHD double layer with a 7.29GB m2ts file from a Blu Ray movie.
Old 11th October 2008, 17:51   #20  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Wasn't there something about Panasonic-AVCHD requiring the files to be in a special folder? I gotta go, I'll look it up later!...
The following folder layout is from a "working" AVCHD file: -

Cheers