Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 14th October 2018, 12:35   #53201  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 9,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR View Post
It accomplishes the same thing that HDR10+ and Dolby Vision does.
Not really, its just "fake".

Actual dynamic HDR has mastering engineers controlling the parameters of every scene, so that intentional brightness differences are fully maintained, which can give a movie much more depth.
Those automatic algorithms have no clue about the creative intent of a movie and they just "unify" everything, which can take away a lot of depth.

For me, its in a similar boat to the extremely cranked up brightness and color vibrance, or those fake HDR encodes you can find online made from consumer SDR sources. It makes for good show floor presentation, but its far from the creative intent of a movie. If you are into that sort of thing, go nuts. But don't claim your subjective preference is the only valid way to watch anything, because thats just silly.
__________________
LAV Filters - open source ffmpeg based media splitter and decoders

Last edited by nevcairiel; 14th October 2018 at 12:41.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 12:40   #53202  |  Link
vanden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Edit: it's fixed in madVRhdrMeasure10, just wait for the new release. (Although my laptop doesn't have enough juice to use both "compromise tone & gamut mapping ..." unchecked and "highlight recovery" at the same time )
Yes it works properly with "madVRhdrMeasure10"
vanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 13:03   #53203  |  Link
el Filou
Registered User
 
el Filou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 573
I am personally suspicious of someone whose account name is 'HDR' and whose very first actions on this forum consist of coming to madVR's thread just after the release of the best HDR processing featureset in a renderer, to say LG's TVs are doing a better job.
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10 1809, MediaPortal 1, LAV Filters, ReClock, madVR. DVB-C TV, Panasonic GT60, 6.0 speakers Denon 2310, Core 2 Duo E7400, GeForce 1050 Ti
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 13:36   #53204  |  Link
Manni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Actual dynamic HDR has mastering engineers controlling the parameters of every scene, so that intentional brightness differences are fully maintained, which can give a movie much more depth.
Those automatic algorithms have no clue about the creative intent of a movie and they just "unify" everything, which can take away a lot of depth.
Exactly
__________________
Win10 Pro x64 b1909 MCE
i7 3770K@4.0Ghz 16Gb@2.18Ghz EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11Gb@2GHz 441.66 RGB Full 8bits
MPC-BE/LAV/MadVR/jRiver/MyMovies V5.25/CMC V3.1
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 13:36   #53205  |  Link
zapatista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 19
a general question for the video experten here:

is it possible with madvr to use the GPU (for ex from a gtx 1060) to play mp4 video files instead of it being processed by the cpu ?

my haswell i7 cpu seems to do most of the work , and i am hoping to offload it to the more modern GPU that might be more efficient (fine for mp4 @ 2k, but the cpu maxes out on 4k mp4 files while the GPU is only @ 10% load). with HEVC files of same resolution, the GPU does most of the work and the cpu stays @ 20 % for ex, this is much more hardware cpu/gpu efficient (i know hevc is a much more efficient file format, but am hoping the gpu can be used more for mp4 decoding now to)

Last edited by zapatista; 14th October 2018 at 14:06.
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 14:05   #53206  |  Link
sneaker_ger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,502
Madvr doesn't do video decoding by itself, other components need to handle that. Usually, players/decoders that allow HEVC hardware decoding also allow H.264/AVC hardware decoding (H.264/AVC is the most common codec in mp4 files, but there are others). For example LAV Video/MPC-HC can do that.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 14:06   #53207  |  Link
kostik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 130
Anyone else have a pinkish-magentish screen if you choose YCbCr 4:2:0 when watching HDR content (MADVR shows NV HDR...) ?

Switching to HDR mode using windows display settings , works fine.

driver version : 416.34 , latest madvr build
__________________
TV :LG OLED 65C8 ; PC:CPU: I7-7700K OC 5.1GHz ; GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G ;Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB (2X8GB) DDR4 3100MHz, ;

Last edited by kostik; 14th October 2018 at 14:12.
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 14:16   #53208  |  Link
blaubart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
do i really have to quote your ycbcr stuff?

just read the FAQ: https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...16&postcount=2
If you knew how deep I doubt in internet being the right place to discuss tiny differences in video playback... One is telling what he sees another is telling what he sees.. then wrapped into some convenient theory (including 'I am right') that's it.

Nobody can see into the ohters screen so no true comparision at all - so no truth at all - so happy dicussion till the end of all days..
blaubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 14:24   #53209  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,059
so you still didn't read it and understand that madVR has nothing todo with how a GPU is turning the RGB data from madVR to yCbCr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
Anyone else have a pinkish-magentish screen if you choose YCbCr 4:2:0 when watching HDR content (MADVR shows NV HDR...) ?

Switching to HDR mode using windows display settings , works fine.

driver version : 416.34 , latest madvr build
i take from this it is working fine with RGB?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 14:32   #53210  |  Link
kostik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
so you still didn't read it and understand that madVR has nothing todo with how a GPU is turning the RGB data from madVR to yCbCr...


i take from this it is working fine with RGB?
Working fine with ycbcr 4:2:2/4:4:4 and RGB … only happens with ycbcr 4:2:0 when the screen switches to HDR mode (NV HDR not Windows HDR which works fine)…
__________________
TV :LG OLED 65C8 ; PC:CPU: I7-7700K OC 5.1GHz ; GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G ;Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB (2X8GB) DDR4 3100MHz, ;
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 14:34   #53211  |  Link
blaubart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 42
@ huhn ..so also you didn't read and understand what I'm saying - this may be the beginning of a wonderful friendship
blaubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 14:34   #53212  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,059
should be a driver bug.

madVR doesn't do anything different if you send RGB, 4:2:0 or something like that.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 14:52   #53213  |  Link
Thunderbolt8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Madshi knows about this and tries to do something about it.
ok, thanks.
__________________
Laptop Acer Aspire V3-772g: i7-4202MQ, 8GB Ram, NVIDIA GTX 760M (+ Intel HD 4600), Windows 8.1 x64, madVR (x64), MPC-HC (x64), LAV Filter (x64), XySubfilter (x64)
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 16:29   #53214  |  Link
zapatista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
a general question for the video experten here:
is it possible with madvr to use the GPU (for ex from a gtx 1060) to play mp4 video files instead of it being processed by the cpu ?
my haswell i7 cpu seems to do most of the work , and i am hoping to offload it to the more modern GPU that might be more efficient (fine for mp4 @ 2k, but the cpu maxes out on 4k mp4 files while the GPU is only @ 10% load). with HEVC files of same resolution, the GPU does most of the work and the cpu stays @ 20 % for ex, this is much more hardware cpu/gpu efficient (i know hevc is a much more efficient file format, but am hoping the gpu can be used more for mp4 decoding now to)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Madvr doesn't do video decoding by itself, other components need to handle that. Usually, players/decoders that allow HEVC hardware decoding also allow H.264/AVC hardware decoding (H.264/AVC is the most common codec in mp4 files, but there are others). For example LAV Video/MPC-HC can do that.
thank you for the answer, i am not sure how to implement your advice however
i have installed madvr, mpc-ht and the LAV Filters 0.73.1 , and been using madvr for many years now on my older htpc setup (but have no expertise in video technology and what exactly does what part)

what settings should i look at to ensure my new GPU (gtx 1060) does the mp4 (h264/AVC) decoding so i can lower the CPU load on my older haswell processor

ps: my current newly re-installed mpc-ht and madvr settings are pretty much still set at default right now
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 16:54   #53215  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,059
the default settings from mpc-hc do use hardware decoding by default by using DXVA2.

try this guide: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...tup-guide.html

it's old but still "accurate". the Video Decoding part is where you should look into.

i recommend DXVA2 copyback.
hardware decoder doesn't really put strain on a GPU.
because a file is "mp4" doesn't mean it can be hardware decoded just to make this clear.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 17:52   #53216  |  Link
Warner306
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR View Post
I can't live without LG's "active HDR". It tries to mimic HDR10+/Dolby Vision by analyzing the whole scene and adjusting brightness and tone mapping per frame. I don't know if this is something madshi is working on or is even possible with madVR, but until/if this happens I'm sticking with LG's implementation.

It really helps with shadow detail in dark scenes. Often times madVR is simply too dark compared to LG with active HDR turned on.

You can use madVR for tone mapping and still turn on LG active HDR, but then you've got kind of a double tonemapping situation where the tv is trying to dynamically adjust brightness and highlights after madVR has already tone mapped. It doesn't quite look right IMO. Often times it will just make the highlights even darker.
Both madVR and all of the current OLED TVs do dynamic tone mapping that is similar to HDR10+. The goal is to reduce brightness compression in any scene where this is possible by ignoring the single peak brightness variable and measuring each frame and each scene independently. The brightest scenes usually see no relief in compression, but dimmer scenes can be brighter.

madVR's implementation generally alters the information above reference white (100 nits), while the newest LG OLEDs (especially the 2018 models) appear to alter reference white as well as the brighter specular highlights. The LG OLEDs are known to be the most dynamic when it comes to changes in brightness compared to solutions offered by Sony, Panasonic and Phillips. This is probably a matter of taste. None of the OLEDs should be boosting the brightness of any values in an artificial way, just restoring the recorded brightness of each pixel whenever possible. PQ values are absolute in terms of display nits and each pixel is meant to be displayed at a specific brightness. Tone mapping makes the image darker and sometimes causes a visible loss of detail when done poorly as well as some loss of color saturation for bright image areas.

Last edited by Warner306; 14th October 2018 at 18:04.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 17:58   #53217  |  Link
Warner306
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
I thought that madVR does do dynamic tone mapping to adjust brightness to the whole image, but I think this only seems to work in SDR. It should be able to do this since it does know peak brightness of each scene. However, for most of the range when output in HDR, brightness seems to be unchanged. Is this due to the static metadata that is sent for HDR? Are our TVs only relying on the HDR nits mastering in the metadata to scale brightness? Maybe if the metadata can be manipulated to send peak brightness of the scene as mastering metadata, it may change the brightness range dynamically. I don't know.
If you set pixel shader to 750 nits, only pixels above 750 nits will receive any tone mapping at all. This is how the current test builds work when "measure each frame's peak luminance" is checked. So the first 750 nits should be displayed 1:1 on your display (only if it is that bright), and anything brighter will be tone mapped. This means only very bright scenes should show a visible change.

Of course, this depends on how your display reacts to the input signal. It may take the 750 nit input and compress it instead of displaying it with clipping, which would be inaccurate and less bright than it should be.

Last edited by Warner306; 14th October 2018 at 18:01.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 18:35   #53218  |  Link
corporalgator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
thank you for the answer, i am not sure how to implement your advice however
i have installed madvr, mpc-ht and the LAV Filters 0.73.1 , and been using madvr for many years now on my older htpc setup (but have no expertise in video technology and what exactly does what part)

what settings should i look at to ensure my new GPU (gtx 1060) does the mp4 (h264/AVC) decoding so i can lower the CPU load on my older haswell processor

ps: my current newly re-installed mpc-ht and madvr settings are pretty much still set at default right now
How much of a load are we talking about? If you stick to letting your CPU decode, that frees up more of your GPU for madVR rendering.
corporalgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 18:38   #53219  |  Link
Warner306
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,127
That's not true. A hardware decoder is a seperate part of the GPU. Hardware acceleration will actually improve performance (not in madVR, but in general) by freeing up the CPU without harming GPU performance.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 18:51   #53220  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?
 
Betroz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norway
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
That's not true. A hardware decoder is a seperate part of the GPU. Hardware acceleration will actually improve performance (not in madVR, but in general) by freeing up the CPU without harming GPU performance.
For people who have a GTX 1080 card, what hardware decoder do you then recommend? CUVID or...?
__________________
My HTPC : i7 6900K @ 4.2 | nVidia GTX 1080Ti | TV : Samsung 75Q9FN QLED
Betroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.