Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th April 2014, 13:59   #25681  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmack View Post
It actually solves my issues, wonderful. It brings (me) better performances than FSE while suppressing the UI lag.
Shouldn't FSE mode be the better of the two? Madshi, any idea's what might be hampering FSE mode in comparison to the new windowed mode at least in John's case?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 13:59   #25682  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
This test build implements a new windowed presentation path, which is pretty much identical to the way FSE works. Meaning, I'm presenting several frames in advance. This used to not work in windowed mode in older OSs. But beginning in Windows 7, with Aero turned on, it seems to work reasonably well. I'm getting slightly more reliable playback in windowed mode on Windows 8.1 x64 here with this new windowed mode presentation path, compared to the old path.

Give it a try and let me know how it works for you!
Overlay mode is broken for me in this build, but regular Windowed Mode seems to be working fine.

It did not solve the issue I had where certain things changing the video LUT during playback (e.g. f.lux set to a 60 minute transition) would cause it to drop frames though, which only FSE manages to avoid.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 14:20   #25683  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, the new windowed mode in full screen on my HD4000/Windows 7 PC using MPC-BE, there's lowish render and present queues (f.lux disabled) 2 or 3-4/8 and 5-6/8, simply pausing video and pressing play brings them both up to 7-8/8 where they remain rock solid.

Is it normal that the queues get reloaded when going from windowed to full screen windowed mode?

Last edited by ryrynz; 5th April 2014 at 14:45.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 14:28   #25684  |  Link
John Carmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Shouldn't FSE mode be the better of the two? Madshi, any idea's what might be hampering FSE mode in comparison to the new windowed mode at least in John's case?
Yes, it should have been worse than FSE, but I have some problems with FSE bringing me presentation glitches and stuttering. These gains are probably only personals. The FSE UI lag isn't imaginary, though.
John Carmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 15:10   #25685  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
According to nevcairiel a bit faster than with the 750, but it runs error diffusion slower than a 750. So if wanted to go NVidia now I'd get a 750Ti. Or wait for faster Maxwell cards.
OK sounds good! But the 750Ti won't be available before a few months and it'll remain overpriced for quite some time....within a few weeks it'll be +35°C in my area, I guess I'll have to seriously mod the heatsink of my 7850 with proper thermal paste and an oversized slow fan.

BTW, I guess this might help seeing clear through AMD's lies:
Quote:
HD 7770 -> R7 250X
HD 7790 -> R7 260X
HD 7850 -> R7 265
HD 7870 -> R9 270X
HD 7950 v2 -> R9 280
HD 7970 GHz Edition -> R9 280X
At this point, the non-Maxwell nvidia's seem lagged out for our needs, current AMD's are essentially overpriced 78xx's......it's a good bet that the next AMD boards will also suffer from the interop lag so basically Maxwell is where the party will be early/mid next year.

Quote:
The tool was more useful than I thought, though, in that it helped identify that the interop speed seems to depend on the PCIe version/speed.
Is there any way you could recompile it with a less exotic VC++ runtime please? Or possibly add the required DLL's to the redist? I get a SideBySide error message even though I've got the VC++ 2005/2010/2012/2013 runtime libraries installed
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 15:14   #25686  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Here's a new test build:

http://madshi.net/madVRwindowedTest.rar

I works, even better than the regular windowed mode, and faster.
But it also broke the Overlay mode which I like using with 3DLUT.

Also, is something wrong with the official madVR.zip on the first post?
Its now a bad zip, I can't revert back to 87.9.

Last edited by James Freeman; 5th April 2014 at 15:23.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 15:37   #25687  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Here's a new test build:

This test build implements a new windowed presentation path, which is pretty much identical to the way FSE works. Meaning, I'm presenting several frames in advance. This used to not work in windowed mode in older OSs. But beginning in Windows 7, with Aero turned on, it seems to work reasonably well. I'm getting slightly more reliable playback in windowed mode on Windows 8.1 x64 here with this new windowed mode presentation path, compared to the old path.
Thanks, sounds good.

Did some testing:
Very good job. On my system, the new windowed mode is definitely faster. Watching a 720p 23.976fps movie I get an average of 0.06ms and max stats 0.09ms with the new windowed mode path. After enabling (and restarting the player and the movie to make it comparable) the old windowed mode I get present times of 0.10ms and 0.11/0.12ms. Nice improvement. Stats also seem more stable, but don't take that as granted, just an observation by looking at the stats for several seconds.

Quote:
You can select which path to use by checking/unchecking the "present several frames in advance" in the windowed mode settings page.
There seems to be a bug when disabling and re-enabling the "present several frames in advance" checkbox. At least on my system the renderer comes to a complete halt and only shows a still picture and video doesn't advance anymore (even though audio continues in the background). That's 100% reproducible, tried MPC-HC and PotPlayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
OK sounds good! But the 750Ti won't be available before a few months and it'll remain overpriced for quite some time....within a few weeks it'll be +35°C in my area, I guess I'll have to seriously mod the heatsink of my 7850 with proper thermal paste and an oversized slow fan.
Must be a local problem then, because the 750Ti is widely available. And overpriced is like saying "better", it's all relative. If you like very low power consumption and good performance, there's not much else on the market right now that can rival it out of the box.

Last edited by iSunrise; 5th April 2014 at 16:17.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 16:04   #25688  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Here's a new test build:

On a quick test, smooth motion seems to like this new windowed mode better than the old one on my Intel HD4000. I used to get some kind of judder in windowed (with SM), that's gone with the new mode. Render times seem lower, but it's within measurement error (like 4,30ms down to 4,15ms).
Overall it works as good or better than the old mode for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Also, is something wrong with the official madVR.zip on the first post?
Its now a bad zip, I can't revert back to 87.9.
Just checked and it works correctly. There were reports of some false-positives with antivirus software, so be sure to check that.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 16:53   #25689  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
Must be a local problem then, because the 750Ti is widely available. And overpriced is like saying "better", it's all relative. If you like very low power consumption and good performance, there's not much else on the market right now that can rival it out of the box.
Oh, good point. I read some lenghty review stating it would only be available by this summer or a bit later.

So nobody took the plunge yet?

Overpriced as in "it will lose 50% of its value within 6 months so you're essentially paying a premium for being an early adopter".

Last edited by leeperry; 5th April 2014 at 18:40.
Old 5th April 2014, 17:21   #25690  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
Just checked and it works correctly. There were reports of some false-positives with antivirus software, so be sure to check that.
Nope, its still a corrupt zip file.
But here everything is fine.

madshi can you please check it?
Old 5th April 2014, 17:30   #25691  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I downloaded the zip just now and it unpacks perfectly. Something must be screwy on your end.
Old 5th April 2014, 17:51   #25692  |  Link
John Carmack

Quote:
Is there any way you could recompile it with a less exotic VC++ runtime please? Or possibly add the required DLL's to the redist? I get a SideBySide error message even though I've got the VC++ 2005/2010/2012/2013 runtime libraries installed
I had it too. Here's what you must download. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=26347
John Carmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 18:05   #25693  |  Link
jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderclander14 View Post
I'm currently using an anamorphic lens in my projection setup so I need to perform a vertical stretch of the picture (2.35 to 16:9) in order to maintain the aspect ratio after the horizontal stretch of 1.33x performed by the lens. I'm using the latest MadVR and MPC-HC as player.

Currently, I'm doing the vertical stretch (2.35 to 16:9) by using the MPC-HC option "video-frame->override aspect ratio->16:9", which correctly modifies the aspect ratio. The question is: with this option is MadVR doing the vertical stretch or it is the media player which stretches the picture a priori? If the latter was the case, is there any option to force MadVR to do the stretch in order to benefit from the high quality upscaling?
Definitely MadVR doing the work because I notice the rendering times increase for me when I'm playing 2.35:1 content vs 1.78/1.85:1 where I don't do that stretch.

I use the Pan&Scan>Scale to 16x9 to do the vertical stretch, however. Not sure there's any difference in the end result.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 18:11   #25694  |  Link
fairchild

New windowed test works fine here. I still need to use FSE though, since sometimes the desktop composition stays stuck in a previous Hz which causes massive frame drops. Only FSE picks up the correct refresh rate of the monitor. Not sure why/how this bug happens or if there is a workaround. example: play a file that has a 23.976 frame rate, which causes the composition rate to be 23.976Hz, which then causes frame drops since the display device is actually at 60hz. So the desktop composition would need to be 60hz to prevent frame drops when playing a 23.976 fps file on the 60hz display. I know I've brought this up in the past, and the bug keeps happening so FSE for life.

Last edited by fairchild; 5th April 2014 at 18:20.
fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 18:47   #25695  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmack View Post
I had it too. Here's what you must download. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=26347
Thanks but this won't install for some reason, I get an error message while installing assembly «Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"».

That's too bad coz I'd love to put a figure on my interop lag.
Old 5th April 2014, 18:57   #25696  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Thanks but this won't install for some reason, I get an error message while installing assembly «Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"».

That's too bad coz I'd love to put a figure on my interop lag.
Open an elevated command prompt, and type:
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

then reboot. It should then work.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 19:10   #25697  |  Link
wolfman2791

@madshi. On the new test build, i get the message "madvr reports: -creating Direct3D device failed (8876086c)"when i enable windowed overlay. I'm running windows 8.1 x64 with a i5-3470 and a gtx 660 with 8gb RAM.

Edit: i don't think it has anything to do with the test build since the new feature is working. I just happened to check the windowed overlay box because i'd never tried it and i got this message. Not gonna miss it wince i never used this feature... but i thought i'd let you know.

Last edited by wolfman2791; 5th April 2014 at 19:40.
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 20:50   #25698  |  Link
nikola
Registered Developer

Quote:
Same error as others reported (Direct3D Device creation failed) when overlay is enabled, on a Haswell HD 4600 iGPU.

When switching off overlay, it works but with vsync issues, which I didn't notice in the latest stable release.
nikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 21:03   #25699  |  Link
yok833

Is it possible to create a profil in madvr that takes the bit rate of the video in consideration? With bluray content I can't use 32 neurons chroma upscaling + error diffusion but I have no problem with any1080p MKV....

Envoyé de mon GT-I9300 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited by yok833; 5th April 2014 at 21:06.
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 21:54   #25700  |  Link
aufkrawall

New windowed mode works well here with every sample I got. I will definitely keep using it as long as no issues appear.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling