Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th April 2018, 22:35   #50081  |  Link
brazen1

I think butchering a rip so that it can semi play on hardware and other player software that wasn't designed to handle 3D frame packed MVC in the name of saving disc space and then asking that madVR pick up the slack is futile.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 00:48   #50082  |  Link
Polopretress

Hello.
MadVr est compatible with 32 and 64 bits configuration.
But what is the root to use 32 or 64 bits ? The player or , for example, Lav filters ?
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 00:52   #50083  |  Link
Asmodian

Everything. 32 bit and 64 bit do not mix. 64 bit player, LAV, and madVR or 32 bit player, LAV, and madVR.
Old 6th April 2018, 12:04   #50084  |  Link
Polopretress

Yes, i thought it was the case and not possible to run a mixed configuration but it seems to be possible (it works) to run player 64 bits with lav32 bits.
As madVR is 32/64 bits, i wonder which is the mode (32 or 64 bits) selected by madVR in this case.

I made this stupid test to use a 64bits player on a 32 bits htpc because i have noticed that for some HEVC 10 bits movies, the CPU decoder was more speedy and did not reproduce some drops with a "queue decoder" at 1 in the CTRL J.
With full 32 bits htpc , on some video 4k hevc 10 bits, even if the CPU is still at 40%, "queue decoder" at 1 can be observed while it is not the case when i replace the player only by 64 bits version (this is true with potplayer an dmpc-be)

I try to find an explanation of the root cause.(why drop with "queu decoder" at 1 while the CPU is still at 40%)
An then secondary, in such mixed configuration , what is the selection of madVR?

It is reproducible with I7 4770 / 4790 / Ryzen 5 and hardware decoder set to "none" in lav video with the following movie for example :
http://4kmedia.org/lg-new-york-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

Last edited by Polopretress; 6th April 2018 at 12:16.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 12:16   #50085  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
Yes, i thought it was the case and not possible to run a mixed configuration but it seems to be possible (it works) to run player 64 bits with lav32 bits.
No it is not possible. If you truely are you using a 64-bit player, then you must also have installed 64-bit LAV.
Old 6th April 2018, 12:24   #50086  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
I made this stupid test to use a 64bits player on a 32 bits htpc because i have noticed that for some HEVC 10 bits movies, the CPU decoder was more speedy
[...]
I try to find an explanation of the root cause.(why drop with "queu decoder" at 1 while the CPU is still at 40%)
An then secondary, in such mixed configuration , what is the selection of madVR?
[...]
It is reproducible with I7 4770 / 4790 / Ryzen 5 and hardware decoder set to "none" in lav video with the following movie for example :
http://4kmedia.org/lg-new-york-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/
Yes, that's normal. The 64 bit HEVC software decoder in LAV is much more optimized than the 32 bit variant. For me it's about 75% speedup.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 15:14   #50087  |  Link
lvqcl

I wonder what "a 64bits player on a 32 bits htpc" means.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 15:39   #50088  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Running x86-64 (AMD64) Windows applications requires both a CPU with x86-64 instruction set and a 64-bit code variant of a Windows operating system (optional and common as private user OS since Vista, more or less mandatory since 8).

Thanks to the extended compatibility in the x86-64 architecture developed by AMD (in contrast to the Itanium IA-64 architecture by intel which is incompatible to x86 / IA-32), 32-bit x86 processes still run in a SysWoW64 (Windows on Windows-64) environment, but all DLL's used by a 32-bit process must also be programmed for 32-bit x86 architecture, and all DLL's used by a 64-bit process must be programmed for 64-bit x86-64 architecture. Windows will check the DLL header and refuse to load libraries not matching the bitness of the calling process.

To be able to load the 64-bit variant of madVR (and LAV Filters), you have to run a 64-bit player application on a 64-bit Windows.

64-bit code can already be faster simply because CPU registers in 64-bit mode have a) twice the width and b) twice the number, compared to the 32-bit mode. Every instruction which can avoid RAM access by using data still stored in another CPU register is a little improvement.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 6th April 2018 at 15:43.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:12   #50089  |  Link
tyrindor

Anyone have any idea why I get audio drops when "MPC Audio Renderer" is selected in MPC-BE during DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks? It does not happen if I bitstream using LAV instead, but LAV doesn't offer exclusive WASAPI or the ability to uncheck "Use System Channel Layout" which is needed for me to get proper Dolby Surround emulation on 2.0 tracks.

I have noticed that the debug overlay says I am getting a repeat frame every 4-7 minutes. That's about how often the audio drops for a split second. I've tried exclusive fullscreen on/off, and 2160p23 is set in MadVR.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:15   #50090  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@tyrindor: Why do you believe that madVR is the reason? It appears to me that the most it does is reporting issues, and rather indirectly (as a video renderer, it does not process audio at all).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:27   #50091  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
@tyrindor: Why do you believe that madVR is the reason? It appears to me that the most it does is reporting issues, and rather indirectly (as a video renderer, it does not process audio at all).
I don't really know what the reason is, I was hoping someone here would know. I am running a typical setup and bitstreaming lossless codecs, so I figured someone else might have experienced this. I have no idea if it's related to the frame repeat every few minutes or not.

Last edited by tyrindor; 6th April 2018 at 16:29.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:27   #50092  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Sorry for the long absence, everyone. Have been busy with commercial work, still am, but hope to get back to madVR development soon(ish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanlee20xx View Post
I hope it can add 2d to SBS function,thank you!!!!
What do you mean exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Anyone know of a player that can capture screenshots with the HDR data preserved? From some searching it seems there's JPEG-HDR and RGBE PNG for formats but not sure what the limitations might be.
I'm not aware of any player which supports that. Currently also the madVR screenshot interfaces don't really support transporting all the necessary information to the media player. I guess I could add that if there were a media player developer interested in adding this kind of functionality. However, creating such screenshots would only be one step, you'd also need software to actually render such screenshots properly. Is there any software that does? It would probably have to do tone mapping, gamut mapping and all that kind of stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
I would like to know how to use the control function for the videoprojector, in particular I would like at the end of the playback to return to position 1 of the lens. thank you
That's not too easy because "end of playback" is difficult to detect for madVR, and changing the lens position takes a LONG time. E.g. let's assume you have a playlist with 2 files in it. At the end of the first file madVR might think that playback has ended. But you wouldn't want the lens to return to position 1 now, would you? So basically madVR would have to add extra stuff, e.g. wait for 20 seconds and only then restore the original lens position.

Currently madVR only supports setting the lens position to a specific slot, but it doesn't support restoring the original lens position (or even activate a specific lens position). If I were to implement this kind of functionality, I wouldn't want to offer a "after playback activate lens memory 1", instead I would offer "after playback restore original lens memory", which makes more sense to me.

But since you're the first user to ask for this, I'm not sure how high the demand for this really is. Usually, I require at least 3 users to ask for a specific feature before I put it on my to do list (unless I really want the feature myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomah View Post
1. I would know why madVR, when i use NGU 4x, after oversize, downscale image two times in luma y with some source resolutions?
This could be a bug. Unfortunately you cropped some important lines from the OSD away, so the information I got is rather minimal. I'd need to know how to reproduce this issue on my PC exactly. So which display resolution, do you have? Which movie resolution? Which exact scaling settings? Etc etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomah View Post
2. Always with NGU 4x, with Low or Medium quality, chromaupsampling seems forced to Bicubic60 during the doubling/quadrupling process. Can i use "chroma settings" for entire chroma upsampling ?
NGU Low or Medium settings practically get Bicubic60 chroma upscaling "for free", that's why it's forced in this situation, to get the best possible speed. I understand if you care more about quality than speed. But in that case you should really spend your GPU power on using NGU High quality instead of increasing the chroma upscaling quality, because luma quality is *much* more important.

If your GPU is too slow for NGU High quality, then you need to save any GPU power you possibly can, and getting Bicubic60 "for free" should make you happy. If your GPU is fast enough for NGU High quality, then use that and don't worry about chroma quality too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Hi, I have a question about HDR: MediaInfo for Dunkirk UHD Blu-ray says:
However, madVR's OSD is regularly showing much higher values than 323 cd/m2, and even the credits at the end with pale white text on black show 170-200 cd/m2.
Is the OSD 'correcting' the values somehow, or is MediaInfo reporting wrong values?
maxCLL shows the highest RGB component, not really the true luminance of the brightest pixel, so it can differ from what madVR measures. However, as far as I understand, although maxCLL can be higher than the peak luminance, it shouldn't be lower. So if maxCLL says 323nits and madVR measures more, then most likely maxCLL was set incorrectly when the movie was authored/encoded. Of course it's also possible that MediaInfo has a bug, but I'd rather guess that the movie is badly authored/encoded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I'd love to see if any possible please would be "activate only if it doesn't drop frames" for luma quadrupling because I'm never really sure whether I can afford it and those "set and forget" options are wonderful.
It's on my to do list to look into things like that, but it's not too easy because performance measurements aren't always fully reliable. So it will take some time to implement a proper solution for that.

These are helpful (I already had them, though), but the real problem is not *my* interest in DV. The real problem is that I can't do anything, as long as no splitter/decoder transports the DV information to me. So you're barking up the wrong tree here. You don't need to convince *me*. You need to convince a splitter/decoder dev. If you find one who's interested in implementing DV, I might look into it, too. But without an interested splitter/decoder dev, there's literally nothing I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache553 View Post
madVR lags too much on my HTPC.It consumes 75% of CPU but only 2% of GPU.I tried to reinstall the video card driver and the OS,but that didn't work.Is there anyone who knows how to solve this problem?Thanks!

My HTPC:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965
Video card: R7 360 2gb
RAM: 8GB DDR3
MB: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P
It seems that "uploading" 10bit+ textures to your GPU causes the CPU consumption. This transfer is done through the PCIe bus. This could be a bad setting in your BIOS, or a bad BIOS firmware, or a bug in the GPU BIOS, or a problem with the OS installation of the GPU driver. It's really hard to pinpoint. I had one user in the past who had a similar problem and he updated some firmware (not sure if it was the mainboard BIOS or the GPU BIOS) which fixed the problem for him. I'm not sure if it's the same for you.

You can probably work around the issue by forcing LAV Video Decoder to only send 8bit video frames to madVR (by unchecking all 10bit+ formats in the LAV configuration), but obviously that's not a good thing to do for image quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenori View Post
hi, i want to ask, for a samsung monitor (32chg70) madvr reports the bitdepth of the monitor is 8bit, and the windows 10 reports it a 10bit.
Where does Windows 10 report the display bitdepth? It doesn't to do that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neno View Post
Hi, madshi. In the latest 0.92.12 whenever I try to take a screenshot when paused, the potplayer crashed. And taking a screenshot when playing will get me an abnormal image(strange colors like a thermal image of the original one).

I haven't changed any settings and it can just take screenshots without any problem in older 0.92.X versions.

I use WIN10 with RX480.

Maybe the problem in changelog of 0.92.11 "screenshots in paused state sometimes crashed madVR" is still not fixed? Just a guess.

Anyone have some ideas or the same problem?

----------

And another problem.

I use lav 0.71 with latest madVR in D3D11 native mode, and the picture is always(no matter what video) split into the top and bottom part. The top part is the picture content turned into a flat size, and the bottom part is often a green image.

While D3D11 CB can just play normally.

Is there any idea about the problem?

nevcairiel said it sounds like a driver problem and madVR handles the processing of "native" frames. So I report it here.
Have you tried reinstalling or updating the GPU driver?

Does the screenshot problem go away if you use "copyback" decoding or software decoding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
I have an LG E6 and an HTPC with an Nvidia GTX1050 GPU (390.65 driver). In Nvidia control panel, if I select 2160p YCbCr 4:2:2 and tell MadVR I have a 10-bit capable display all works well for HDR video.

I noticed by accident that if I change Nvidia video mode to RGB 8-bit then when I play a 60Hz HDR test clip (eg. LG's "Chess") I was getting "sparkles", showing HDMI errors.

I noticed that MadVR was outputting 10-bit depth even when using RGB and 4K/60 RGB 10-bit is not allowed by HDMI 2.0.
Are we talking about HDR passthrough, as in switching the TV into HDR mode? For Nvidia GPUs I use a custom API to do that, which bypasses some of the OS and GPU driver safety checks. So that might explain why the GPU tries to output something which is impossible to output. I guess I could add a safety check to prevent madVR from trying to output 4Kp60 10bit. Will add that to my do to list...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:28   #50093  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
I'm reading a lot and hardly trying to figure out how I know when I simply need to enable deinterlacing and when I need IVTC.

I never seen IVTC turned on automatically, don't know why.

But in my dvd profile, how I know if I only need deinterlacing or IVTC?
Ok, so here comes a full blown explanation, hopefully it will put the topic to rest:

With default settings ("disable automatic source type detection" unchecked), madVR always uses DXVA deinterlacing. The exact DXVA deinterlacing algorithm is provided by the GPU hardware/driver. It's supposed to automatically detect the source type and internally switch between whatever deinterlacing technique is needed for best results, even per pixel. Since the algorithm is provided by the GPU, not by madVR, the quality will depend on the GPU manufacturer, GPU model, maybe even OS and driver version.

There's one thing DXVA deinterlacing cannot technically do, which is decimation. DXVA deinterlacing *can* (at least in theory) detect telecined movies and deinterlace them correctly, e.g. from 60i to 30p. However, from those 30p only 24p are unique, the other 6p are duplicates. Removing those is called "decimation".

Because I wasn't happy with the lack of decimation support, and with the general state of the DXVA film mode deinterlacing, I added a "forced film mode" to madVR. If you want to use it, you have to enable it manually. Of course you should do that only for true movie content. Otherwise you'll get nasty artifacts.

Practically, most PAL movie DVDs don't need any deinterlacing at all. But there are exceptions. Using forced film mode should work for both those PAL movie DVDs which don't need deinterlacing, and also for the exceptions.

NTSC movie DVDs and ATSC movie broadcasts almost always need deinterlacing. For those forced film mode should work great and shoudl be able to restore the original 24p.

Forced film mode doesn't work for natively interlaced content (e.g. sports, concerts etc), and also for field blended stuff. Sometimes you can't know if forced film mode will work or not. In that case you'll simply have to try. If it doesn't work, you'll probably see that immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
Got a madVR / Driver Stopped Responding crash here, latest version and latest 18.2.2 AMD drivers on a R9 270X. Windows 8.1.
The crash occured when I was seeking a passthrough Twitch stream in MPC-HC, while a second instance of MPC-HC had a movie paused.

https://pastebin.com/ZvprjHaD
This is a crash in the AMD GPU driver, in the moment when madVR tries to release the D3D11 "compute" device. Currently the compute device is only used for error diffusion and for the "measure frame luminance" HDR feature. Did you happen to use either of those?

Generally, if you only got this problem once, it's probably safe to ignore it. If you get it often (or once in a while), try disabling the mentioned features. If that still doesn't help, try also disabling the "use D3D11 for presentation" option in madVR.

Also, try updating the GPU driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
What about image refinements or smoothmotion?
Are there some possible improvements to do?

What about a reclock alternative since custom resolutions are still problematic with old and current hardware?
I've on my to do list to look into AdaptiveSharpen some more.

Reclock is mainly an audio renderer, which is not something I'm interested in developing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Well, since I began of dreaming I would also ask madshi what he think about upscale detection and about upscale reversion possibility.
I'm not sure if upscales can be easily detected and reverted. I mean if I *knew* a certain video was upscaled with a specific algorithm from resolution X to resolution Y, I could probably find an algorithm to fix that. But I would have to know all the details. And I don't think I can get them from just looking at the pixels.

Quote:
Hi, madshi. About the problem, I have tried various settings in the screenshots tab.

I find that if I draw subtitiles(uncheck "don't draw" by default), then it will crash whatever other settings are(even if there aren't any subtitles). Can this be helpful to you? Anyone have the same situation?
Interesting. Which subtitle renderer are you using? Does switching to a different renderer help?

Quote:
And a question: Do I have to re-optimize the custom timing everytime when I update the graphic card driver? (RX480 in my situation)
As long as the custom timings survive the GPU driver update, probably not.

Quote:
PS: A tiny UI visual suggestion. The "color & gamma" tab in "devices" settings: the beginning position of the first letter "c" is some space backward compared to the other tabs' title.
True. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Hi. someone with experience to create a 3dlut for HDR content with Calman? Is there any guide or manual to consult?
Do you want that 3dlut to convert the HDR content to SDR for you? Or do you just want to calibrate your display, but still passthrough HDR content to the display? I'm not sure if Calman supports either of these two options, to be honest. HDR calibration is a difficult topic. My preferred approach would be to let madVR convert the HDR content to SDR and then run the result through a normal SDR 3dlut (though maybe for BT.2020 or DCI-P3 gamut).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
I wanted to know if any of you could help me about the subtitles of blu ray scaled to 3840x2160, in practice when the fixed subtitles come out the image slows down by going for a few seconds, increasing the rendering and after the subtitles disappear it is replaced, this it happens even if I use JINC as IMAGE UPSCALING.
My video card is AMD RX480, media player JRIVER, os WINDOWS 10.
I don't really understand your explanation of what's happening. Can you explain in more detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabesc View Post
I have a stable madVR crash on a movie file when the following settings are enabled
That's a weird one. It crashes while trying to upload the video frame to the GPU. Does this crash occur with all video files, or only some? Does it occur regardless of madVR settings, or do some madVR settings play a role in the crash (if so which)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Do you know if madvr's madTPG works with the new autocal feature on the new 2018 lg oled tvs?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the LG TVs are able to remote control madTPG? If so, as far as I'm aware, the answer is no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlasspoole View Post
8GB RAM and task manager says 38% usage.
MPC-HC CPU usage goes up to 70% with madVR and QS in LAV.
With copy-back it's ~45%

With EVR the Sony HEVC 59/60fps Videos work up until ~25 seconds and sometimes one minute. Then the sound starts to stutter and slowly the Frame rate in the MPC-HC statistics window is going down.

The attachment is:
4K H.264-AVC MPEG-4 [60.000fps][8-35Mbps][8bits][DD 5.1 (AC-3)] Big Buck Bunny
in madVR.

With EVR this movies video is smooth but sound is totally out of sync. Sync Offset, dropped and Jitter show all 0.
According to your screenshot your decoder is too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespermart View Post
Does the scripting support unc path
Probably. Why don't you simply try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
I have been following your work on the AVS forum re HDR to SDR conversion with corrective tone mapping - what are the chances of MadVR being able to trigger HDR, but perform the same corrective type of processing (as some suspect the OS HDR Toggle does)?
What do you mean with "corrective tone mapping" and "corrective type of processing"? I'm not really sure what you mean/want exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
what about having a virtual HDR mode that conversts SDR to something that looks like HDR, now that would be cool.
Not planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
yes and if that happens with "let madVR decide" i see this as a real problem and it should be changed to at least 3.0. quadrupling for 20 missing pixel is just a total overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I agree, quadrupling for less than a 3.0x upscale is total overkill, and even a negative at times. However, I thought "let madVR decide" for quadrupling was 2.4x so quadrupling should not have activated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thighhighs View Post
2.4 default for double again mode (or NGU AA). For direct 4x "if any upscaling is needed" by default.
Please feel free to suggest better "let madVR decide" settings, I'm open for suggestions. Obviously the reason for choosing different setings for "direct 4x" is that it performs dramatically better than "double twice".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatKnight View Post
I've been doing further testing and managed to capture better screenshots (download and present them at 1:1 resolution) to exemplify my findings:

NV HDR triggered by madVR (output 10 bit) BANDING
NV HDR triggered by madVR (output 8 bit) NO BANDING
OS HDR enabled at Windows 10 (output 10 bit) NO BANDING (no screenshot available, too bright)
This looks like a madVR bug to me. There's a technical limition in the OS right now which supports 10bit in fullscreen windowed mode - but only if the OS HDR switch is turned on. So as long as the OS HDR switch is turned off, madVR should not even try to switch to 10bit in windowed mode. If you want the OS HDR switch to be off, you have to use FSE mode to get 10bit. Or alternatively use 8bit and trust madVR's high quality dithering. It might actually look better than 10bit, depending on your display. Worth a test, at least.
Old 6th April 2018, 16:34   #50094  |  Link
mclingo

good to have you back MADSHI, hope everything's going well on the commercial side, thanks again for you continued support.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:51   #50095  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Big thanks to everyone who is helping with madVR support work. I really apprecate it. You're making it much easier for me to handle the overall madVR workload. So you're indirectly contributing to madVR development.

I planned to add a list of users who helped with support work a lot, but then I feared I might forget someone who might then be disappointed, so I decided not to list any user names. But please rest assured that I read all posts in this thread, and your support work is not going unnoticed. Thank you again!

Next madVR build will come maybe in a week or two or so, I'm not sure right now. It will feature improved HDR tone mapping quality and an additional "low" RCA quality level (which will fuse with NGU medium quality).

FYI, although I didn't have much time for madVR recently, I did start working on a totally new algorithm (not scaling related) last year, and I've been working on it ever since. I even hired external help for some things I didn't know how to do myself (I'm not a math genius, unfortunately). I'm not completely sure yet if I can manage to make it work. It might end up being much too slow, or too low quality, but I'm hopeful. If it works out as well as I hope, it could be a relatively big thing. But it's going to take several more weeks at least. Sorry, no more information at this point.
Old 6th April 2018, 17:09   #50096  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
where i can check it ? but i doubt that i do if u mean external 3d lut file

i got tick displaye is calibrated, disable gpu ramps, bt.709, pure power curve 2.20
you shouldn't have one.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 18:10   #50097  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the LG TVs are able to remote control madTPG? If so, as far as I'm aware, the answer is no.
I do not believe madTPG would need to support AutoCal, that feature is talking to the TV over the network, not HDMI. madTPG would be the pattern generator but not the display.
Portrait Displays to Provide Auto Calibration for 2018 LG OLED and SUPER UHD TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Please feel free to suggest better "let madVR decide" settings, I'm open for suggestions. Obviously the reason for choosing different setings for "direct 4x" is that it performs dramatically better than "double twice".
I still think using 2.4x would be more appropriate, direct 4x does take a little more GPU power than 2x and it would be consistent. Upscaling to 4x and then downscaling to 2.05x is not ideal.

Thanks for all your work, as always great stuff.
Old 6th April 2018, 18:15   #50098  |  Link
Warner306

"This looks like a madVR bug to me. There's a technical limition in the OS right now which supports 10bit in fullscreen windowed mode - but only if the OS HDR switch is turned on. So as long as the OS HDR switch is turned off, madVR should not even try to switch to 10bit in windowed mode. If you want the OS HDR switch to be off, you have to use FSE mode to get 10bit. Or alternatively use 8bit and trust madVR's high quality dithering. It might actually look better than 10bit, depending on your display. Worth a test, at least."

FSE is now required for 10-bit HDR passthrough, from madVR to GPU to display? I didn't know FSE was a requirement. This could be a problem for users getting occasional black screens on playback stop, or having FSE fail completely at playback start with Windows 10, which reverts to windowed mode without the user knowing, unless they read the message from madVR that FSE has failed. It's not that big of deal, but I'd like to know that FSE is required for full, 10-bit HDR passthrough, as most users are using windowed mode and madVR is reporting 10-bits during HDR playback. As a result, they appear to be getting banding.

Getting people to believe that they're not missing anything with 8-bits with dithering seems to be the bigger challenge. If FSE is problematic, they don't want to downgrade to 8-bits because their display is 10-bits and they think they need to take advantage of those extra bits.

Edit: The user I was talking to was using 12-bits at the GPU with AMD card for GPU passthrough, so this was actually a full 10-bit pipeline form madVR to the GPU to the display, not 8-bits at the GPU as previously reported. I assuming it is still necessary to have a complete 10-bit pipeline with AMD cards for HDR passthrough from madVR to the display?

Last edited by Warner306; 7th April 2018 at 05:37.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 18:26   #50099  |  Link
Warner306

And one more thing...I assume the Windows OS is sending the metadata to the display untouched and isn't altering it to change the tone mapping, just like the private APIs do? So the Windows HDR calibration tool (which is simple as can be) only applies to the Windows desktop and not to video playback?

Last edited by Warner306; 7th April 2018 at 05:48.
Old 6th April 2018, 18:29   #50100  |  Link
Warner306

"I have been following your work on the AVS forum re HDR to SDR conversion with corrective tone mapping - what are the chances of MadVR being able to trigger HDR, but perform the same corrective type of processing (as some suspect the OS HDR Toggle does)?"

This user wants to know if you can somehow send the PQ transfer function to the display to trigger HDR mode and use madVR's adjustable and sometimes superior tone mapping to replace the display's tone mapping? Sounds technically impossible, but would be nice.

Edit: I forgot about "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" as pointed out by Asmodian. How far would that get him? Are all of the YCbCr values tone mapped and stripped of illegal color values and then sent to the display to be tone mapped again? Does the metadata remain the same? Is this recommended?

Last edited by Warner306; 7th April 2018 at 05:49.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling