Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd October 2017, 12:25   #46801  |  Link
ashlar42

To detect how and when to activate RCA and RRN, it would be nice to have access to mediainfo's bitrate in order to combine it with resolution of video. It probably couldn't be fully automatic but, at least at the single user level, one could further combine it with source folder naming to have broad categories to act upon.

Just my two cents.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 17:01   #46802  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
To detect how and when to activate RCA and RRN, it would be nice to have access to mediainfo's bitrate in order to combine it with resolution of video. It probably couldn't be fully automatic but, at least at the single user level, one could further combine it with source folder naming to have broad categories to act upon.

Just my two cents.
I think having increase/decrease/reset-to-zero hotkeys for them like for contrast/black-level/etc would make their use more practical.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 18:44   #46803  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I think having increase/decrease/reset-to-zero hotkeys for them like for contrast/black-level/etc would make their use more practical.
It's already exist and working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Atm I think I'll probably remove (always disable) the "don't reduce texture detail" option, because it sometimes leaves ugly artifacts in the image, even at very high algo strength, which doesn't make too much sense.
Any strong objections, anyone?
No. RCA@4 itself is pretty damn good.
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:18   #46804  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
It's already exist and working.
Nope. Doesn't seem like it.
Old 23rd October 2017, 00:47   #46805  |  Link
Rexian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexian View Post
I started having this problem a few weeks ago with no change I could point to. Since then I upgraded to the latest versions of pretty much everything -
madVR 0.92.5 then 0.92.7 today
mpc-hc 1.17.11 then 1.17.13 today
Lav 0.70.2
nvidia 287.92 (updated from 285.xx today)

Both mpc-hc and mpc-be work fine in a window (TV recognizes HDR videos) but the screen goes dark as soon as I press alt+enter (audio continues) and then when the picture comes back after few seconds, it crashes.

Here are the settings -
nvidia

LAV

madVR prop

madVR reder

Also tried disabling FSE. Screen doesn't go dark but crashes right away -

Updating to W10 Build 1709 now... anything else should I try? Thanks for any pointer.
No known workaround?
Rexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 00:48   #46806  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Nope. Doesn't seem like it.
Look in the Madvr settings all below ''User interface'' and search for "deblocking strength increase/decrease" : you can assign a shortcut for each.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:02   #46807  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexian View Post
No known workaround?

nvidia 287.92 (updated from 285.xx today)
Can you pls recheck the version from Nvidia drivers ? (IIRC the latest GF divers have an issue, stick with 385.69 or 385.41)
Does this also happen after resetting Madvr to default settings ? Try to figure this out first.
Why do you still use "windowed overlay'' in your Madvr settings ?
You could also update LAV to the latest nightly (see OP LAV-filters)

What video-card do you use ?

Last edited by Pat357; 23rd October 2017 at 01:36.
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:39   #46808  |  Link
Rexian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Can you pls recheck the version from Nvidia drivers ? (IIRC the latest GF divers have an issue, stick with 385.69 or 385.41)
Does this also happen after resetting Madvr to default settings ? Try to figure this out first.
Why do you still use "windowed overlay'' in your Madvr settings ?
What happens if you explicitly choose your video card in LAV-video instead of "automatic" ?
You could also update LAV to the latest nightly (see OP LAV-filters)

What video-card do you use ?
Thanks Pat. You are of course right - I was on 387.XX. I had upgraded from 385.XX a while ago and it was working so never considered downgrading.

I tried disabling overlay as well as selcting 1050 TI in LAV - same result. I also upgraded to W10 Fall update.

I'll now go back to 385.69 and see if that helps. There are too many variables now after the W10 update ...
Rexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:38   #46809  |  Link
Oguignant

Hi! I have problems in "Pc mode" when playing HDR with my TV. I do not know why, the colors look different with less brightness. My Tv is a LG OLED C7P.
I think it's because of the color range, but in my tv in "Pc modte47a e/HDR" it is locked. If I change the label of "Pc mode" to HDMI it works perfect bit is 422. Any idea why? The difference between 444 and 422 is visible?
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:16   #46810  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Look in the Madvr settings all below ''User interface'' and search for "deblocking strength increase/decrease" : you can assign a shortcut for each.
Hmmm... Denoising would be the "remove random noise" feature? Because that only goes up to 5 instead of 12.

@madshi
I'd like to note that madVR takes away a lot of potential shortcuts by not allowing a bunch of valid characters on my keyboard, by falsely claiming they're invalid: "νιαűφόσőϊ". That's nine, plus "." and "," both become "decimal" and neither of them work so, nor does "/*-+" that's +5.
Seeing as media players already use a lot of shortcuts this greatly aggravates an already bad situation.

(I don't understand why software typically don't read keycodes and modifiers and thus are perpetually bugged on non-english keyboards)
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:10   #46811  |  Link
Oguignant

Hi, one question, in "display mode-> list all displa modes madvr may switch". Is there any way to specify the bits? For example, some way to automaticaly change from 2160 60Hz 8-bit to 2160 23Hz 12-bit? Without going to the nvidia panel, of course...
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:51   #46812  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Hi, one question, in "display mode-> list all displa modes madvr may switch". Is there any way to specify the bits? For example, some way to automaticaly change from 2160 60Hz 8-bit to 2160 23Hz 12-bit? Without going to the nvidia panel, of course...
I think most HW today cannot do 2160p 60Hz at 12 bit RGB, at least thats the way it is for for my setup with a 2016 panel. This means if I set 23Hz 12bit RGB in the nvidia control panel, when madVR switches to 2160p 60Hz the graphic driver will automatically goto 8bit. If madVr then goes back to 2160p 23Hz the driver will return to 12bit.

You are right though, it would be very nice to choose bit depth in both resolution switching and in the custom resolution setup (if possible).

Last edited by Razoola; 23rd October 2017 at 10:59.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:35   #46813  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Hmmm... Denoising would be the "remove random noise" feature? Because that only goes up to 5 instead of 12.

@madshi
I'd like to note that madVR takes away a lot of potential shortcuts by not allowing a bunch of valid characters on my keyboard, by falsely claiming they're invalid: "νιαűφόσőϊ". That's nine, plus "." and "," both become "decimal" and neither of them work so, nor does "/*-+" that's +5.
Seeing as media players already use a lot of shortcuts this greatly aggravates an already bad situation.

(I don't understand why software typically don't read keycodes and modifiers and thus are perpetually bugged on non-english keyboards)
If RCA and RRN can be remote controlled (and from what I read and see in the control panel they could), having access to bitrate in the profiles configuration would make everything even more perfect.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:57   #46814  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Hi! I have problems in "Pc mode" when playing HDR with my TV. I do not know why, the colors look different with less brightness. My Tv is a LG OLED C7P.
I think it's because of the color range, but in my tv in "Pc modte47a e/HDR" it is locked. If I change the label of "Pc mode" to HDMI it works perfect bit is 422. Any idea why? The difference between 444 and 422 is visible?
YOu might need a webOS upgrade...
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:25   #46815  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
YOu might need a webOS upgrade...
I have the latest version of fw 04.70.06. HDR is activated correctly, but the colors look different, more muted ... if I change the label to hdmi they look perfect.
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:01   #46816  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Hi, one question, in "display mode-> list all display modes madvr may switch". Is there any way to specify the bits? For example, some way to automatically change from 2160 60Hz 8-bit to 2160 23Hz 12-bit? Without going to the nvidia panel, of course...
+1 for that but we could also do with:

(Resolution)(bit)(Colour space)

i.e

(2160p@24)(8)(4:2:0)
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:09   #46817  |  Link
leandronb

Black Screen FCU

Hi guys. Just did a fresh install of windows 10 fall creators update, and installed mpc and madvr. video plays fine but when i enter fullscreen it goes black. Sound is playing and i can see the mouse pointer, but no video. When i leave fullscreen the buttons of mpc are all black
Also if i press the right mouse button the menu shows up and video too, but after a few seconds it goes black again. EVR Custom works fine.
madvr 0.92.7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
I had the same problem. It appeared that the D3D11 setting in madvr (rendering->general settings->Use Direct 3D 11...) was disabled. I enabled it and restarted MPC BE and problem was solved.
This worked!
But i wasn't using d3d11 on previous install and was working fine.

Last edited by leandronb; 23rd October 2017 at 16:12.
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:54   #46818  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
+1 for that but we could also do with:

(Resolution)(bit)(Colour space)

i.e

(2160p@24)(8)(4:2:0)
replace 2160p23 for 2160p23+1? says invalid

Last edited by Oguignant; 23rd October 2017 at 17:06.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:57   #46819  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
replace 2160p23 for 2160p23+1? says invalid
I wasnt suggesting you put that in the display modes, that was just an example of what could be put in there if this was further developt as per your suggestion, mine is currently set as:

1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p60, 2160p24, 2160p60
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 18:55   #46820  |  Link
Pat357

GPU driver rejected this mode, for unknown reason

I recently updated my Nvidia drivers to 385.41 (uninstalled older using DDU).

My display measurements were still there, so it did not take to long before I had set everything up to the state I was before updating the drivers.
I tested different input files and checked on Madvr OSD whether the '1 frame repeat every .... " was still far above a normal movie length (order > 1 day).

So everything was working !

Today I noticed madvr didn't switch to the correct mode no longer : every file was played @60Hz.

I went to custom modes setting in Madvr and tested some optimised modes: for every mode I got
"GPU driver rejected this mode, for unknown reason".

Even for the default modes (CTA, CTF, ...) I got the same error.

Anyone knows how to get rid off this error ?
Will deleting all custom modes and start over help ?
Reinstalling the display drivers ? anything else ?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling