Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 3rd October 2005, 13:12   #661  |  Link
dbzgundam
Hates all his encodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by movax
Sorry for the obvious question, but any recent system changes/program installation?
Reinstallation of drivers for my mobo, GPU, LAN, and Sound (LAN and Sound are onboard if that matters)... Never caused me a problem before.
Old 4th October 2005, 13:58   #662  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Seems like MeGUI trying to read "jobs" folder from current directory (not executable directory)
Well, according to the .NET class library, Environment.CurrentDirectory points to the directory where the process was started from. So, as far as the megui.exe process is concerned, that's the program directory.
Old 4th October 2005, 16:33   #663  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Well, according to the .NET class library, Environment.CurrentDirectory points to the directory where the process was started from. So, as far as the megui.exe process is concerned, that's the program directory.
IMHO working dir can get you easily into trouble, I always try not to work with it. In fact I've never used it, couldn't even remember this property though I'm confident once I came across.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...pPathTopic.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ctoryTopic.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...epathtopic.asp
Old 4th October 2005, 19:03   #664  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well, I'm only reading, not writing, and so far I have yet to see any evidence that it would cause any problems. After all, I'm reading this when generating the main class so I have a hard time anybody could change this, and even if it could be changed, at the point where I make note of it. Loading, saving and deleting is all based on my stored string, not getting the directory from the property again.
Old 5th October 2005, 23:19   #665  |  Link
FSB-SPY

Okay, just went through 24+ pages of posts in hopes of making it fully clear on how to use this, to no avail...

lol (meaning, please don't scream or post little smiley faces that hold up the sign "SEARCH!")

1. Downloaded latest 315 build of x264
2. Downloaded AviSynth
3. Downloaded DGIndex
4. Downloaded MP4Box
5. Placed all into same directory
6. Write a totally basic AVS loading script off a created d2v project file:
Code:
#  PLUGINS
LoadPlugin("F:\Apps\x264\DGDecode.dll")
#  SOURCE
mpeg2source("F:\here\driven.d2v")
7. I can do everything (set-up codec, matrices, etc), but the pulldown box for Video Profile is empty, and I am guessing this is the problem. Hitting queue and then starting the job does nothing, it does not go anywhere obviously.

P.S. Someone posted a nice screen of the crop by pixel, etc options screen, I have no idea how to get there... but I am assuming this is the next step that I am failing to achieve. :P

P.P.S. Don't attack me too hard! :P
Old 5th October 2005, 23:28   #666  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
well, I'm only reading, not writing, and so far I have yet to see any evidence that it would cause any problems. After all, I'm reading this when generating the main class so I have a hard time anybody could change this, and even if it could be changed, at the point where I make note of it. Loading, saving and deleting is all based on my stored string, not getting the directory from the property again.
it's easily possible to launch the process in a working dir different from the startup dir e.g. from a shortcut or some other shell methods, some users have a real talent to screw things up

Last edited by stax76; 5th October 2005 at 23:35.
Old 6th October 2005, 07:57   #667  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. I tried the shortcut but the jobs were still being loaded. Obviously it's easy to change but before I do, I really want to know in which situation the CurrentDirectory doesn't do its job.

Quote:
but the pulldown box for Video Profile is empty,
That's normal.. you need to go into the codec configuration, type a profile name and press the new button to create a profile.. But you can encode without a profile. Which queue button did you press? the one in the main GUI, Input tab in the video section? And there must be some entries in the log regardless of whether the job starts or not as the first thing is done before encoding starts is dumping the commandline used to the log, so where is your log?

Also, for cropping you don't need an AviSynth script.. you need to launch the AviSynth script creator, load your d2v file and do all the cropping and resizing and save the script file. This also requires your dgdecode.dll in the AviSynth plugin path as the readme states.
Old 6th October 2005, 12:50   #668  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

@Doom9: Since i have really no time, could you please post the MeGUI-x264 2.2.6 binaries too?
Old 6th October 2005, 13:26   #669  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I will.. I basically got in the door this morning, had to answer a few voicemails and had a meeting right away so I only managed to post the full version. Now I'm at home with the flu
Old 6th October 2005, 13:46   #670  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Damn flu... sorry to bother you
Old 6th October 2005, 16:54   #671  |  Link
FSB-SPY

@Doom9:

Alright! Now I see where the innitial confusion came from. I had previously been only using the x264 build of MeGUI, so it's no wonder I did not know where the AviSynth Script Creator was, etc.

So here is my run-down with MeGUI 0.2.2.6:

I wanted to keep it really simple, and not even resize the video (from standard 720x480). Just crop the blackbars. So I check the "Crop" box, and un-grey the four field boxes of how many pixels I wish to crop vertically and horizontally. But, as soon as I try to change a value from 0, it gives me an error:
Code:
************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Hitting AutoCrop, produces the same exact error.

So, I thought, ok... a bug for the time being. I can crop manually, via the AviSynth command Crop, right?

I had come up with a simple script line to get rid of the black bars manually: "Crop(0, 58, 0, -64)"

Hitting preview verifies it looks right, and I can see the video playing back just fine. So I hit Save, name the file and presto, I finally have made progress and have my AVS script ready to go. Time to encode!

Load my AviSynth Script, Video Output defined as an MP4 file, and then hit the Queue button. Click the Queue tab, and then hit Start. Nothing is happening... it is not processing any frames.

Code:
Next job job1-1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 700 --stats "G:\Movies\Ripz\Ripz.Driven\preview.stats" --subme 6 --analyse all  --8x8dct --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "G:\Movies\Ripz\Ripz.Driven\preview.avs" 
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1-1
Job aborted, deleting output file...Deletion failed.
I even tried to use the most simple AVS, just the one that loads the d2v file and nothing else. Same result.

For the codec settings, I have all the macroblocks options checked, automatic 2-pass, and 6-RDO selected. I wanted the best possible quality, and did not care about encoding speed.

Any ideas? I feel so close, yet so far away.
Old 6th October 2005, 17:02   #672  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

@FSB-SPY: did you set x264 as encoder? and place the x264.exe in the MeGUI-Folder?
Old 6th October 2005, 17:20   #673  |  Link
FSB-SPY

Yep! They're all in the same folder... here's a picture, just in case:

Last edited by FSB-SPY; 11th March 2006 at 16:39.
Old 6th October 2005, 17:47   #674  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

huffyuv encoding support

just a little suggestion for automatic huffyuv encoding support for slow avs scripts.

the idea is to automate such 3-pass encoding process
1 pass - encode provided AVS to HUFFYUV using mencoder
2 pass - first x264 pass using encoded losless video as input
3 pass - second x264 pass using encoded losless video as input
e.t.c.
Old 7th October 2005, 13:25   #675  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
So I check the "Crop" box, and un-grey the four field boxes of how many pixels I wish to crop vertically and horizontally. But, as soon as I try to change a value from 0, it gives me an error:
Did you load your d2v file and do you have a properly working preview of the video? the only reason I can imagine for you getting that error is that the script wasn't properly loaded.. then the image you're trying to crop is null and you get that error.

As far as encoding goes, the only way a statusupdate has the aborted flag set is if somebody presses the abort button. So I figure after waiting you pressed abort. Now your settings.. starts with the default values please.. always backtrack to something known to be working. Also, just in case configure the path to x264.exe (I don't know how you launch megui.. stax mentioned users can mess up paths and so perhaps x264 is actually not found for some wicked reason). Then go to the commandline and run that commandline and see if something happens.

@dimzon: and what about the 80 or so gigs that takes?
Old 7th October 2005, 19:55   #676  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

can i use fielddeinterlace(full=false) in my avs script for use with x264 encoding?
Old 8th October 2005, 04:11   #677  |  Link
dbzgundam
Hates all his encodes

Still no luck with MeGUI over here...

I've done numerous uninstalls/reinstalls of the .NET Framework 1.1 but still nothing...
Old 8th October 2005, 06:18   #678  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

dbzgundam, just use nero 7/recode, it has got awesome avc quality, no .net required, pm me for more details!

and yeah, why the friggin' hell no one answers my questions, are not not senseful mucho?
Old 8th October 2005, 09:47   #679  |  Link
stax76

I've seen such weird dbzgundam screenshots from many DVX users over the years, that kind of stuff is hard to track. I would suspect it's related to how the application is launched and where it is located (network etc. cause such errors). Good look, if it cannot be solved I'll dig up my forum for those old topics regarding such issues.
Old 8th October 2005, 16:00   #680  |  Link
dbzgundam
Hates all his encodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight2win
dbzgundam, just use nero 7/recode, it has got awesome avc quality, no .net required, pm me for more details!

and yeah, why the friggin' hell no one answers my questions, are not not senseful mucho?
Not all of us have money right now.