Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 25th January 2005, 08:40   #1  |  Link
Penguin Man

Converting a PAL DVD to an NTSC DVD

I have a PAL format DVD-R that I would like to convert to an NTSC format DVD-R so I can play it on my standalone DVD player. I don't really want to have to rip it, convert it to XviD or something, then re-encode it to DVD because a) that takes a long time and b) whoever put the DVD together has done a beautiful job with the menus, sound tracks, etc and I don't want to lose that stuff. Anyone know of a way to convert the DVD to NTSC without having to rip and re-convert everything?

Thanks.
Penguin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 15:33   #2  |  Link
Paulcat

Heh heh heh, there is no easy solution. I have done it the tedious way, converting the video with TMPGEnc and re-authoring, but I have lost the menus.

The easiest solution is buy a cheap-ass dvd player that can play PAL and NTSC...
Paulcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 16:00   #3  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

There are some automated tools that can help with this, such as DVD2SVCD in DVD2DVD mode, but like that suite, most are Windows apps. And that particular tool goes the other way: NTSC -> PAL.
Old 25th January 2005, 21:17   #4  |  Link
shevegen

difficult but possible

i dont have an answer though :/
Old 26th January 2005, 03:08   #5  |  Link
Penguin Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulcat
Heh heh heh, there is no easy solution. I have done it the tedious way, converting the video with TMPGEnc and re-authoring, but I have lost the menus.

The easiest solution is buy a cheap-ass dvd player that can play PAL and NTSC...
Yeah, I might have to just rip it and re-encode/re-author it.

My computer plays it just fine since it doesn't care about regions or NTSC vs. PAL or any of that garbage, but I'd like to be able to take the DVD somewhere else (like my girlfriend's house for instance) and play it there. Since most people have NTSC DVD players here, I'd like to convert it.
Penguin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 17:33   #6  |  Link
goweropolis

OK, first off, I hope it's OK to resurrect this old thread! It just has the perfect title for my situation.

I also am interested in converting PAL DVDs to NTSC DVDs. I tried the following recently and it worked for me:
1. Rip title from PAL DVD to AVI with dvdrip
2. Use tovid to convert the AVI to an NTSC MPEG file
3. Author the NTSC MPEG file to an NTSC DVD

Definitely not the easiest procedure. You do lose the original menus. In the single case I tried, tovid created an NTSC file and the audio (which I have heard can be an issue) appeared to be in sync.

dvdrip does allow you to keep the original audio track so you do not lose data with audio compression, but you may still need to compress to Xvid for the AVI container. Does anyone know if there such a thing as a "lossless" AVI that combines video & audio losslessly from a DVD VOB? (And could be processed by tovid.) This would save quality (wouldn't lose data on the DVD -> AVI conversion) and processing time (wouldn't need to compress the video).
goweropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 01:31   #7  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Wine and AviSynth combined with HC should allow you to read in VOBs, convert to PAL with an AviSynth script (look in the avisynth usage forum, they're all over the place), and make a PAL m2v, which can then be re-authored with the original audio using whatever program you want!

No MPEG-2 -> MPEG-4 -> MPEG-2 nonsense, and all the cons of that approach

~MiSfit