Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2002, 06:35   #1  |  Link
bullitB

3ivx D4

Yet another MPEG-4 video codec. Actually, this one is pretty damn slick. Unlike previous release, this fully runs on both Windows and Mac, and can use the Video for Windows. And the decoder has really serious post processing.

http://www.3ivx.com/

Anyone want to try it out and do some DivX/XviD comparison? I was able to encode a movie trailer at 800 kbits/sec off a DVD, and the results were...really good.
bullitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2002, 08:02   #2  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

It sucks.

The lumimasking they have is too high. It is very effective for low bitrates but murder on higher ones. It has the same blurring problem as VP3, it tends to blur the still, non-complex parts of a image. Again, good for low rates. The stream is spec compliant as xvid gracefully decodes it. And also the decoder is spec compliant. It decodes even the latest development xvid encodes very well considering it seems to have no qpel support. It has frequently misplaced MBs because of that I think. The post processing they use is very heavy. ffdshow doesn't even get that heavy on the highest settings. But it really seems to blur then. There's no comparison between it and the latest Xvid stuff.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2002, 08:23   #3  |  Link
bullitB

Quote:
Originally posted by spyder
The stream is spec compliant as xvid gracefully decodes it. And also the decoder is spec compliant. It decodes even the latest development xvid encodes very well considering it seems to have no qpel support. It has frequently misplaced MBs because of that I think.
You seem pretty sure that XviD is spec compliant.
bullitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2002, 10:15   #4  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

Well, if it decodes in thre "spec compliant" implementations.....

I'm willing to say that yes.
Old 9th December 2002, 12:33   #5  |  Link
sillKotscha
what's this for?

... but imho the decoder does a very good job at least for me/ my eyes. I tested the decoder on high-bitrate encoded movies as well and I must say I can't see that much blurring - post processing seems to work quite/ very well. But one thing was just annoying... to test the decoder capabilities I had to uninst. DivX and untick ffdshow 'DivX 5 as supported codec' - is there an easier way of letting 3ivx D4_decoder decode divx encoded movies than just uninstalling everything divx related??...

cheers & thanks - Sill
Old 9th December 2002, 12:55   #6  |  Link
DeXT

Althought I'm not interested on encoding with this CODEC, I love the MP4 DirectShow filters for Windows Media Player included with this package. Now I can play MP4 files with WMP without having to install Envivio Plugin... it's fast and it even works with files made with MPEG4IP. Do you want more?
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2002, 13:00   #7  |  Link
sillKotscha
what's this for?

Quote:
Originally posted by DeXT
Althought I'm not interested on encoding with this CODEC, I love the MP4 DirectShow filters for Windows Media Player included with this package.
yeah, that's it... me neither, I don't like to encode with it but like to decode my divx encoded movies - but as I said, the only (?) way to use the 3ivx D4_decoder for divX5 is to get rid/ uninst. divx and that shouldn't be the solution!!

Sill
Old 9th December 2002, 16:02   #8  |  Link
Valky

I seem to have very much problems with this. I would like to test this decoder to some poorly encoded 3.11 stuff, but is it possible with Bsplayer or Viplayer?
I can watch divx movies through QT-player, but is that all? There is no quality slider or anything so is there some 'default setting' in it pre-prosessing that cannot be adjusted?
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2002, 04:28   #9  |  Link
phrentec
waprout?

how come doom9 hasn't posted the new 3ivx release in the news section? does doom9 like to post stuff that only he is interested in? maybe i'm wrong but i still haven't seen him even mention it, yet.
phrentec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2002, 05:03   #10  |  Link
rjamorim
Blah!

Quote:
Originally posted by phrentec
does doom9 like to post stuff that only he is interested in?
I guess he only posts stuff most readers are interested in.

And I reckon most readers are interested in DivX and Xvid, not 3ivx.

Regards;

Roberto.
Old 10th December 2002, 05:43   #11  |  Link
Neo Neko

Untill possibly quite recently there had been no real development over the last two years on the 3vix front in refference to the pathetic state it was in. If a project is silent for all that time you are gonna have a hard time holding your breath for news.

Also AFAIK no one on the 3vix team or anyone interested in 3vix has brought this up before. If no one asks or shows interest why should he. Perhaps now is the time for us all to re-evaluate. We shall have to see.
The GIMP - Free raster graphics and photo editing software.
Planeshift - Free 3D MMORPG. Cause everyone needs some fun.
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2002, 05:57   #12  |  Link
Neo Neko

Observations after a short test.

It encodes a hulluvalot faster than previous versions IIRC.

The quality is palletable. No 2-pass. But it is better than stock Divx3 me thinks.

It conflicts with about every other MPEG4 codec using Bytes instead of bits for datarate.

Not bad. But alot of room for improvement.
The GIMP - Free raster graphics and photo editing software.
Planeshift - Free 3D MMORPG. Cause everyone needs some fun.
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2002, 11:17   #13  |  Link
Valky

Thank you, gabe. This new MPC gives me chance to test this decoder. Unfortunately it only works if I first un-install Divx 5 codec. Otherwise the Divx codec always overrides the 3ivx even if the 3ivx is set on the top of video decoder filters
Old 10th December 2002, 11:35   #14  |  Link
Valky

Actually, I am now only able to use this player with this codec. Neither Bsplayer or viplayer no longer works.

Is it possible somehow to use this player only with realmedia and with 3ivx codec and not to uninstall Divx decoder, so that I can still use other players too? So that this player could somehow to be able override divx decoder if man wants to?

I also noticed that I cant watch couple of my movies now with small resolutions like 352x288 or 360*270 ?? These are avi files and divx files.

I have been able to watch them with other players and divx codec. Is this 3ivx or new MPC?

also resolutions 640x480, 576x432 and 512x384 are out of game, but NOT 480x352..

I dont know what's happening here..something very unstable. Doesn't seem to open any files no longer without crashing to white screen. Could be the 3ivx codec. Can't reboot right now, but I'll try again later. And yes, it still open s those 4:3 simpsons, but nothing else...

Last edited by Valky; 10th December 2002 at 12:03.
Old 10th December 2002, 12:32   #15  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

Quote:
the only (?) way to use the 3ivx D4_decoder for divX5 is to get rid/ uninst. divx and that shouldn't be the solution!!
Zoomplayer should do this nicely.Check out my reply to this post for more info...........http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37822
Kb_cruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2002, 13:05   #16  |  Link
sillKotscha
what's this for?

Thanks for your reply Kb_cruncher,

I see it is possible to build 'my own .mediagraph' but look at Valky's reply... the new MPC (great player as well!!) recognizes all installed filters and as it is said:

"The selected filters will be tried and inserted between the decoder and renderer in the listed order. Incompatible filters are removed automatically after failing to connect."

So, I can see '3ivx D4 video decoder' as a decoder filter. But even if I tick it to decode my movies (DivX5 is untick in ffdshow), the 'normal' DivX_decoder 'jumps in front' and decodes the movies. Sorry again for my silly and dumb question - how can I 'tell' DivX5_decoder not to decode any movie (propably unregister the decoder filter) but that I still can use divx5 to encode my movies?? As far as I know, unregistering means to unregister the whole codec, not only it's decoding capabilities.

Sill
Old 10th December 2002, 18:02   #17  |  Link
DeXT

Just as a side effect... thanks to this CODEC now you can watch MP4 files burned on a XCD!!!

MP4 was not supported under XCD (Mode2 CD Maker) due to the lack of good MP4 DirectShow filters. Thanks to the new MP4 DSF included with 3ivx, now it works like a charm! The only annoyance is, you can't seek the video because WMP hangs (althought I'm not sure if it's due to a bug or incompatibility with the XCD filter because it also hangs randomly with "pure" MP4 files when seeking). Strangely enough, it doesn't hang when DebugView is active, dunno why.

I start to LOVE this CODEC

PS: I'm not interested on the 3ivx decoder either, just the MP4 (MPEG-4 File Format) support.

Last edited by DeXT; 10th December 2002 at 20:51.
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2002, 05:38   #18  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

The postprocessing and MP4 support is nice but the encoding is horrid.
Old 11th December 2002, 17:02   #19  |  Link
baz00ie

I think "horrid" is a bit strong. I've completed several tests with it and have yet to see anything "horrid". In fact I've had more trouble with Xvid then I've had with this codec. Of course I don't do much DVD ripping, but instead, I need a codec that's suitable for video archiving (good image/playback quality and small file size).

After making a video for a customer, I will then archive it and later use it for making copies onto VHS. I need something that fills certain requirements - quick, easy, excellent quality and smooth playback. Using my test video clip i've discovered that some codecs fail at higher bit rates - such as DivX5 and Xvid.

At this time my main archiving codec is DivX4.12. However, if 3ivX continues to pass my tests then i may consider switching to it, because it can do the same job in less time.

As for two-pass encoding, well, the most common codec still seems to be DivX 3.11, and it can't do two-pass without external help.

so far, i like it.

later
baz
baz00ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2002, 19:50   #20  |  Link
-h
Kilted Yaksman

After making a video for a customer, I will then archive it and later use it for making copies onto VHS. I need something that fills certain requirements - quick, easy, excellent quality and smooth playback. Using my test video clip i've discovered that some codecs fail at higher bit rates - such as DivX5 and Xvid.

I know XviD's motion estimation can break down at extremely low bitrates, but I've never heard a complaint about its performance when fine quantizers are used.

What exactly happened?

-h
-h is offline   Reply With Quote