Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 14th February 2007, 01:34   #221  |  Link
melakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Founditalso View Post
The sticky is for VUK's.
Mine are VID's
terribly sorry, i stand corrected!
melakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 02:39   #222  |  Link
xyz987

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0r View Post
So for the retards like me:

I have a movie, encrpyted, copied via the PS3 on my HDD, no computer hddvd player or bluray player, only a computer with software.

I have mkb.exe and BackupBluRay, can one now make a working copy on a computer using just this software, or do i still need a hddvd player or in this case bluray player?
Nowadays you still need an USB BluRay player, an USB sniffer, and an authorized BluRay soft player (WinDVD or alike).

However, it is just a cuestion of time (probably months) you will just need the PS3 conected to your PC through home network, with appropiate programs running on both sides.

Basically what you need is an "USB sniffer and network redirector". In fact two: a host version for PC and a client version for PS3.
xyz987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 02:49   #223  |  Link
jokin
Dwight Schrute's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz987 View Post
Nowadays you still need an USB BluRay player, an USB sniffer, and an authorized BluRay soft player (WinDVD or alike).

However, it is just a cuestion of time (probably months) you will just need the PS3 conected to your PC through home network, with appropiate programs running on both sides.

Basically what you need is an "USB sniffer and network redirector". In fact two: a host version for PC and a client version for PS3.
Theoretically you can put any IDE / SATA Blu-Ray drive in an external USB case.
jokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 02:55   #224  |  Link
xyz987

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokin View Post
Theoretically you can put any IDE / SATA Blu-Ray drive in an external USB case.
So it becomes an USB BluRay player ;-)
xyz987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 04:33   #225  |  Link
jokin
Dwight Schrute's homeboy

Just found a little tidbit of information on the 360 HD drive. My friend installed my HD drive on his 360 a week or so ago to try it out. He then returned it to me and borrowed it again yesterday and it still worked without installing the software again. Today he bought his drive and plugged it in. It asked for the install disc to update the software. Could this be installing the device keys on the drive or the 360 itself with the included disc?
jokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 05:55   #226  |  Link
arnezami

Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
Blue = YY (year)
Red = MM (month)
Orange = DD minus 1 (date)

I guess the two bytes in between YY, MM & DD are mm (minute) and hh (hour) respectively and the byte before YY is probably ss (second).
So the embedded time and date stamp is probably in this order: 40 00 ss YY mm MM hh DD 57 47 48 44 56 4D 00 00
Just Brilliant. I think you nailed that one .

Last edited by arnezami; 14th February 2007 at 06:29.
arnezami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 07:25   #227  |  Link
Founditalso

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnezami View Post
Just Brilliant. I think you nailed that one .
Does anybody know the date and time of the files on Batman Begins and Apollo 13?
Founditalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 07:30   #228  |  Link
HD Hell

Congratulations, arnezami (and others!) - stunning!
HD Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 13:07   #229  |  Link
Exiton

So will this make a stand alone app to retrieve keys? Or still work with a software player and get the key from an error memory dump?
Exiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 15:47   #230  |  Link
FoxDisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiton View Post
So will this make a stand alone app to retrieve keys? Or still work with a software player and get the key from an error memory dump?
I'm going to take a shot at answering this. I'm nowhere near to fully understanding the whole system, so take this for what it's worth - and wait for someone to correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the answer is yes, this could make a stand alone app. I think there's enough here for someone to make a software player.
I think the app would stop working if and when the AACSLA changes the MKB.

Obviously, the app would have to read data off the disk. I'm assuming that's possible IOW, I'm assuming that there is nothing in the firmware of the drives being sold that reads an HD or BD disk and says to itself "I'm not authorized to tell the PC what's in the MKB of this disk" or that if there is such a thing that the drive firmware could be cracked/hacked to allow the MKB to be read. I've read the AACS specs about Drive Revocation Lists (drive=the optical drive) and Host Revocation Lists (host=the software player) and I'm not fully certain of the implications of those lists.

I'm also assuming that the Processing Key we have now would not equal a new Processing Key calculated from a future disk released with a new MKB. After a drive revocation and new MKB, someone would again have to find the new Processing Key/Device Key. (It would be stupid to design AACS so that a revoked device key could not calculate the Processing key from the new MKB, but if it could calculate it, the answer would be the same as it would have gotten by calculating the processing key from an older MKB with the revoked device key. Of course, I can't really say with any authority how stupid/smart the AACS system might be.)
FoxDisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 17:47   #231  |  Link
brand1130x

how impossible would it be to find the master key? and what could you do with it?
brand1130x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 17:59   #232  |  Link
evdberg

As far as I know there is no such thing as a 'master key', so it will be very hard to find ...
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 18:12   #233  |  Link
brand1130x

so is this processing key the "holy grail" of keys?
brand1130x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 18:30   #234  |  Link
SBeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand1130x View Post
A complete list of device keys would be great aswell
SBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 18:51   #235  |  Link
xdvst8x

blu-ray

i have both a sony internal blu-ray drive and a plextor drive.
it will not let me watch the movie.. i have both win dvd bd and power dvd bd neither will even try to play the disc.

i can read the drive contents though my computer.
and i have copied Mission Impossible. but i am unable to get win dvd bd to open the disc so i can extract keys.. i have about 64 bd titles now.. please advise.
xdvst8x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 18:54   #236  |  Link
Electrox3d

So, after more research, I found that a month ago there was a post here at doom9 ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120988 )with tons of blu-ray keys, and even a program that pulls the keys automatically if you have WinDVD. Why did we do this all over again in this thread?

BTW- using the keys already found in the other thread I was able to get a 1080p blu-ray preview playing in WMV on the Xbox 360... next to try it with H.264 for PS3...

Last edited by Electrox3d; 14th February 2007 at 18:58.
Electrox3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 19:15   #237  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrox3d View Post
So, after more research, I found that a month ago there was a post here at doom9 ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120988 )with tons of blu-ray keys, and even a program that pulls the keys automatically if you have WinDVD. Why did we do this all over again in this thread?
Perhaps you should reread this thread.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 19:24   #238  |  Link
FoxDisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdberg View Post
As far as I know there is no such thing as a 'master key', so it will be very hard to find ...
Your posts demonstrate a high level of knowledge, so I'm reluctant to disagree, but the AACS LA has the ability to generate a new MKB that revokes some device keys, but not others, and they can generate new device keys that will work with new and old MKBs. No one here can do any of this. The AACS LA has secret keys that are used to perform those functions. If people here had the key(s) they have locked in their vaults, they could generate device keys, new MKBs, etc. and the system would be forever broken.

That's why no one here can say that the AES/AACS system has been cracked - it's only been bypassed. Getting the secret keys stored in the AACS LA vault will be very very very hard. Cryptographically, the AES/AACS system is very very good and not likely to be broken soon.

It was bypassed because the whole concept of encrypting something that you have to let the recipient decrypt is a fundamentally flawed concept. They have to give out the keys to millions of people so they can watch the encrypted movies - how can they expect to keep them secret? The only thing they can keep secret is how to make the keys they give out.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:52   #239  |  Link
FoxDisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand1130x View Post
No. It's a key derived from a device key and other information on a disk that allows other keys to be calculated, ultimately leading to the final title key that decrypts the video data. It appears to have the advantage that every device key currently issued (these are in the players) when used with the current MKB on every disc currently issued (BuRay and HD-DVD) results in this same Processing Key, which then leads to the correct Title Key. If I understand it correctly, this Processing Key will no longer work with new disks if the new disks are provided with a new MKB.

There are currently two AACS bypass methods. One is this Processing Key, which works for all disks and comes from sniffing the USB connection, and one is the Title Key/Volume Unique Key which works for only the specific disk it was obtained from and comes from the memory dump of a player while playing that disk.

What can they do to stop future bypasses? I don't honestly know for sure, and I'd trust Arnezami's analysis, more than anything I say here, but I'll take a stab at it:

To stop the first method (described in this thread), they will have to make the Processing Key that is currently being calculated from the current device keys and MKBs not work. I think that means they have to change the MKB on new disks (this is a fairly big deal, but it's part of their designed in system). Second, they'll have to try to prevent the new Processing Key from being sniffed as this one was.

To stop the second method (title key from mem dump), they could simply have the offending software rewritten to try to make it harder to locate the title key.

I suppose they could stop allowing software players altogether, making it harder to implement either method, as hardware extraction is more difficult than hacking a PC. The battle goes on, but I'm putting my money on the people here who don't want DRM and do want to make fair use of what they buy. Either way, it's interesting to watch.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:52   #240  |  Link
Electrox3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Perhaps you should reread this thread.
I have been following this thread... I in fact tested if Blu-ray worked the same as HD-DVD... but I guess I needed to learn more about what happened a month ago before I really understood what we were doing here.

From what I understand a month ago every movie had a different key, but now we've found a type of universal key that both hd-dvd and blu-ray use? Hope thats close.

EDIT: FoxDisc, your post above mine really helped me to understand this thread better. Thanks!