Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th May 2016, 10:33   #37841  |  Link
ryrynz

The bug I've mentioned a couple of times about not being able in input more than one key press at a time on profiles under 'Devices'' still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Can you make some recommendations when these settings should be used? What bit rate (2,500 Kbps) is low enough for deringing to be necessary? Or what scaling factor?
There is no hard and fast rule, evaluate the content and make the call yourself.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 10:47   #37842  |  Link
regiregi22

After some time reading about it, seems pretty complicated for me to devise the most optimal settings for the video output.
The only thing I have connected to the projector is the PC, nothing else. And the PC has a monitor too, which I use to work and watching movies.

This is the whole chain of settings I have available to set. Would it be wise to configure RGB 0-255 in all the steps? Any downsides on that? If not, what would be the best setting?

LAV Video (RGB):
-TV (16-235)
-PC (0-255)
-Untouched

madvr (RGB):
-TV (16-235)
-PC (0-255)

Nvidia panel - Color format:
-RGB
-YCbCr442
-YCbCr444

Nvidia panel - Range:
-TV (16-235)
-PC (0-255)

Projector:
-TV (16-235)
-PC (0-255)

Monitor:
-RGB
-YPbPr

Thank you guys,
Best regards
regiregi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 10:51   #37843  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Basically it's the same as with dithering vs debanding: Dithering tries to make sure that madVR processing does not add new banding artifacts. Debanding tries to remove banding artifacts that are already in the source. In the same way anti-ringing tries to make sure that madVR processing does not add new ringing artifacts. Deringing tries to remove ringing artifacts that are already in the source.
Thanks.
My question was a lot simpler, I just could not find where to turn it on till you replied.
Found it: Processing-> Artifact Removal-> Reduce Ringing Artifacts.

I'm of to try it.
Old 10th May 2016, 10:58   #37844  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
madshi, what are the chances of a "low-pass filter" appearing in madvr? It would greatly aid in the removal of moire and false color, which is a serious problem with SD content, especially MPEG-2.
I don't take feature requests atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
I did the latest update today and just went into my HT to check it....

Ive tried to turn on the new anti ringing feature but it wont stay on, its always greyed out.
It's greyed out?? Screenshot, please, with it greyed out? I don't think the settings dialog even knows how to grey the main dering option out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
After some time reading about it, seems pretty complicated for me to devise the most optimal settings for the video output.
The only thing I have connected to the projector is the PC, nothing else. And the PC has a monitor too, which I use to work and watching movies.

This is the whole chain of settings I have available to set. Would it be wise to configure RGB 0-255 in all the steps? Any downsides on that? If not, what would be the best setting?
This was discussed AT LENGTH just a couple of pages ago.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 11:02   #37845  |  Link
XMonarchY

Should I enable "Scale Linear Light" for "Image Downscaling - SSIM 2D 100% + AR" for the best visual quality?

Madshi,

Big thanks for the new madVR build!
Old 10th May 2016, 11:17   #37846  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Should I enable "Scale Linear Light" for "Image Downscaling - SSIM 2D 100% + AR" for the best visual quality?
Why don't you try and find out?
If you can't judge the quality for yourself, then you might as well not bother, because you won't see a difference then either.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:23   #37847  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
It's greyed out?? Screenshot, please, with it greyed out? I don't think the settings dialog even knows how to grey the main dering option out!

APPLY is greyed out so you cant activate the new feature.

Im not the only one to report this now. I thought it was just me not able to apply the new anti-ring feature but others have mentioned it too. So that's good, its not just me doing something wrong....
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 11:58   #37848  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Can you please show me exactly what the tester software showed? I mean this:

> The tester software also shows some RGB values
> to describe the modification done to the LUTs

Don't really want to install one more unknown application on my dev PC.

There are 2 different ways to create a neutral/linear LUT. madVR knows both and detects both. Maybe that software you were using only knows one of them and doesn't like madVR's default LUT.
Well, the application doesn’t require installation. You can just run the standalone exe file. Anyway, please see the screenshots in the below link:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/pd8924...Comparison.png

The application doesn’t resize so I am unable to show the complete table. But, I guess with the screenshots you will get a fair idea of the problem.

Quote:
Before I download these: Can LAV Video Decoder split and decode them? Or how else would I play these?
Nevcairiel was willing to output XYZ directly to madVR, when I made that request. He also said that it wouldn’t be too much work on his side. Maybe you can speak to him.

For testing, you may download the trial version of JPEG2000 Video Decoder. More information here.

By default it outputs XYZ (disguised as RGB). You can enable the XYZ to RGB conversion through the decoder settings. It’s output is limited to 8 bits only. Honestly, the ideal solution would be that LAV outputs XYZ to madVR.

Quote:
Code:
* added new deringing algorithm
Here are a few image comparisons that show how my new deringing algorithm compares to AviSynth's "DeHalo_alpha" (default settings) deringing script:
This is really wonderful. On the light house image, it indeed looks like magic. Thank you for another very useful addition to madVR!

By the way, the file name tag “deringing=full|half” would enable/disable “reduce dark halos around bright edges, too” option, right?

Last edited by omarank; 10th May 2016 at 12:31.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 12:36   #37849  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:

Im not the only one to report this now. I thought it was just me not able to apply the new anti-ring feature but others have mentioned it too. So that's good, its not just me doing something wrong....
Perhaps you could help out here since personally I nor madshi have this problem. You could upload your settings or you could find out exactly what causes it.
Revert to the previous version and unselect some options and then upgrade again, rinse and repeat as necessary. You hopefully should be able to find what's triggering it.

The dehaloing is nice, but what are the chances of it being a little less soft/smudgy, I'd like to see it hopefully retain or "create" some kind of detail if possible. Can you add some grain and or
allow the algo to be a little more flexible in it's choices of color?

Last edited by ryrynz; 10th May 2016 at 12:43.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 13:21   #37850  |  Link
cork_OS

New anti-ringing algo looks really great, but sometime needs even more strength. Sample: AR / noAR.
Quote:
The sorcery of my mind... It's a brand new algo, not based on anything else. It's quite complex (6 shader passes, actually), and costs quite a bit of performance, too. Technical details are secret...
At first I guessed it related to line thinning.
cork_OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 13:54   #37851  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
New de-ringing options looks great and should always be enabled (if performance isn't an issue). It's really noticeable with the lighthouse image, and does wonders.
Unfortunately, it looks kinda weird after upscaling the American Dad cartoon example, the leftovers are much more obvious than the ringing in general.

However, ofc thanks a lot for the new build.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 15:46   #37852  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:

Im not the only one to report this now.
I've not seen anybody else reporting this yet.

Do you have one madVR installation or multiple? Have you updated *all* the files on all PCs involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Well, the application doesn’t require installation. You can just run the standalone exe file. Anyway, please see the screenshots in the below link:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/pd8924...Comparison.png

The application doesn’t resize so I am unable to show the complete table. But, I guess with the screenshots you will get a fair idea of the problem.
Yes, as expected. The application doesn't seem to understand that there are 2 different ways to create a linear lut. IIRC it can even vary depending on OS and GPU. In any case, madVR supports both and from where I'm standing there's nothing wrong with what madVR does.

Quote:
Nevcairiel was willing to output XYZ directly to madVR, when I made that request. He also said that it wouldn’t be too much work on his side. Maybe you can speak to him.

For testing, you may download the trial version of JPEG2000 Video Decoder. More information here.

By default it outputs XYZ (disguised as RGB). You can enable the XYZ to RGB conversion through the decoder settings. It’s output is limited to 8 bits only. Honestly, the ideal solution would be that LAV outputs XYZ to madVR.
Still waiting for RenderGuy2 to send me whatever he wanted to send me. I've put this on my to do list, but as I said, it'll be low priority.

Quote:
By the way, the file name tag “deringing=full|half” would enable/disable “reduce dark halos around bright edges, too” option, right?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
The dehaloing is nice, but what are the chances of it being a little less soft/smudgy, I'd like to see it hopefully retain or "create" some kind of detail if possible. Can you add some grain and or
allow the algo to be a little more flexible in it's choices of color?
I suppose I could add grain. Color is not modified, only the luma channel is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
New anti-ringing algo looks really great, but sometime needs even more strength. Sample: AR / noAR.
Well, the algo is tweaked for "normal" halos, not for extreme halos. I'm not sure if I could remove those. I don't plan any strength settings in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Unfortunately, it looks kinda weird after upscaling the American Dad cartoon example, the leftovers are much more obvious than the ringing in general.
Really? In the American Dad example, I didn't really notice any noticeable leftovers. It looks very clean to me, and noticeably better than without deringing. Can you show an upscaled American Dad screenshot with/without deringing which shows that deringing makes it look weird?
Old 10th May 2016, 16:07   #37853  |  Link
regiregi22

Quote:
This was discussed AT LENGTH just a couple of pages ago.
I know, I have read those pages. But it has some cases where there was limitations I don't have. Like output devices that don't support extended ranges or dedicated HTPCs that don't care about messing up colors on desktop applications. There were shown quite some alternatives, each one with each drawbacks.

So that's why I am asking, I can assure you I have read them paying attention.

Thank you for your input anyway :-)
regiregi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 16:22   #37854  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Really? In the American Dad example, I didn't really notice any noticeable leftovers. It looks very clean to me, and noticeably better than without deringing. Can you show an upscaled American Dad screenshot with/without deringing which shows that deringing makes it look weird?
NNEDI3 32 chroma scaling, NNEDI3 64 doubling, super-xbr AB 25% quadrupling, bicubic 150 AR GL downscaling, SuperRes 4 GL AB 25%

off:

on (recommended setting for Anime):
Old 10th May 2016, 16:30   #37855  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
I know, I have read those pages. But it has some cases where there was limitations I don't have. Like output devices that don't support extended ranges or dedicated HTPCs that don't care about messing up colors on desktop applications. There were shown quite some alternatives, each one with each drawbacks.

So that's why I am asking, I can assure you I have read them paying attention.
This is the most asked question ever, and really going on my nerves because of that. Here's a quote of my sum up, which I've posted ages ago:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=37690

I won't say any more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
NNEDI3 32 chroma scaling, NNEDI3 64 doubling, super-xbr AB 25% quadrupling, bicubic 150 AR GL downscaling, SuperRes 4 GL AB 25%
Oh well, yes there are some leftovers... I still prefer the deringed image, but I suppose it's a matter of taste/preferences...
Old 10th May 2016, 16:32   #37856  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Oh well, yes there are some leftovers... I still prefer the deringed image, but I suppose it's a matter of taste/preferences...
I think the deringing filter works fine, but SuperRes introduces some of the ringing again in a nasty way.
Could it be that SuperRes doesn't compare the upscaled image with the source image which is already processed by deringing?
Old 10th May 2016, 16:34   #37857  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Nah, SuperRes properly compares the image after deringing and before upscaling, that's not it, unfortunately.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:43   #37858  |  Link
James Freeman

madshi, is there a way to ignore wrong ST.2086 metadata and use peak white was selected by user?
The official test video from Sony has completely useless metadata and madVR simply shows all white picture (0.5 nit peak white):

* The video plays perfectly fine on a Samsung HDR TV as reported by users.
It ignores the 2086 metadata completely, and just maps the bit values to luminance.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=144
Quote:
Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 2mn 7s
Bit rate : 75.6 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 123 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.152
Stream size : 1.12 GiB (100%)
Encoded date : UTC 2016-02-03 07:59:49
Tagged date : UTC 2016-02-03 08:01:32
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : SMPTE ST 2084
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primar : R: x=1.000000 y=1.000000, G: x=1.000000 y=1.000000, B: x=1.000000 y=1.000000, White point: x=1.000000 y=1.000000
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.1000 cd/m2, max: 0.5000 cd/m2
Let the user select 1200nit as peak white ignoring the wrong 0.5nit 2086 metadata.

Last edited by James Freeman; 10th May 2016 at 17:07.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 16:45   #37859  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Nah, SuperRes properly compares the image after deringing and before upscaling, that's not it, unfortunately.
Too bad, your deringing filter seems to work wonders in general.
Especially with super-xbr, the difference in the cartoon example without SuperRes is enormous.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:50   #37860  |  Link
har3inger

Didn't Superres at 4 with AB introduce a bit of ringing anyway? Maybe try at superres 2 no AB or superres off to see if it's still bad. The sample aufkrawall posted seems noticeably worse than the one posted by madshi in his release post.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling