Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 6th January 2011, 05:33   #1  |  Link
GG-Xtreme

[SOLVED] Seeking Problem in H.264 MP4's Encoded with MeGUI/AviSynth

It seems I can finally post

Anyway, I got a new Android phone, but due to lack of good .ass softsubs support, I decided to convert my softsubbed videos to hardsubs. The videos involved were .mkv with AVC/H.264 video (all at 23.976fps), various audio codecs and ASS softsubs.

I used MKVextractGUI to obtain the raw .h264 video streams, the subtitle files and the audio. I converted all of the audio to 48KHz 256Kb/s vbr AAC and put the video streams into MP4 containers using MP4Box with the '-fps 23.976' parameter.

Then I loaded up MeGUI and created a new script, specifying the subtitle files, a simple resize, and some good quality settings. The resulting MP4 files played fine and had no seek problems in VLC...but in MPC, playing the files just gave me a green screen (the original MKV's played fine). I ignored this and used MP4Box to remux the audio and hardsubbed videos and loaded them onto my phone.

They play fine, only I can't seek past around 14 minutes in any of the re-encoded videos (the exact time seems arbitrary). Seeking past that area of the timeline in any Android video player causes the player to freeze/crash. Seeking before that time, or letting the video play through is just fine.

I'm a bit of a newbie with this stuff, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction about what's going wrong here.

Edit: BTW, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I'm using 64-bit ffdshow and AviSynth (as well as MPC).

Edit: Solved!
Following nm's advice, I used FFmpegSource instead of DirectShowSource, and all my playback/seeking issues were solved.

Last edited by GG-Xtreme; 10th January 2011 at 10:00. Reason: problem solved =)
GG-Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 09:09   #2  |  Link
GG-Xtreme

*bump* My issues have become a bit more complicated: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...33#post1469933

To summarize, I am getting different seeking/playback issues with all videos I encode using MeGUI/AviSynth, but the only differences I can see between the videos are the resolutions

The first set of videos are all 800x450, 23.976fps, H.264 in MP4 files and won't seek past around 14 minutes (otherwise play fine and seek before 14 minutes just fine).

The second set of videos are 640x480, 23.976fps, H.264 in MP4 files and won't seek past 3:25. On top of that, they won't play all the way through: at a completely random and different point every time I play the video, any hardware-accelerated video player for Android will throw a "Sorry, the video cannot be played" error and the video frame will freeze.

I've tried 2 different computers for encoding and 2 different Android phones for testing. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! >_<
GG-Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardsub, megui, mkv, mp4, seeking problem