Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th August 2017, 22:35   #44741  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
@madshi
Thanks.
I got a strange picture in D3D11 mode for Sony_4K_HDR_Camp.mp4. Other HDR files are displayed normally.
This appears to be a "bug" in LAV, but I'm not completely sure. At least it seems that LAV reports the HDR metadata differently when using software decoding vs D3D11 DXVA decoding. I have a detection for "invalid" HDR metadata in madVR which fires with LAV in software decoding mode, but not in D3D11 DXVA mode. I'll discuss this with nevcairiel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
@madshi, the sample is reuploaded again http://www101.zippyshare.com/v/oe86z81X/file.html
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Display modes is still shown twice here with 0.92.1 and custom modes tab is only there for 1 sec and then its gone....
Are you sure it's really 0.92.1? Did you replace "mvrSettings32/64.dll"? Maybe your browser gave you an old version of the zip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
The Edit Timing for custom modes window is not set to be always on top. So it is opening behind the video when in full screen.
Actually it *is* set to be always on top! However, in fullscreen, it's possible that the media player (or even madVR) might try to make sure that the video surface is always on top, and if multiple windows are on top, only one can win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Is the Pixel Clock not saving the changes?
I'm trying to set vertical back porch to 35 and pixel clock to 74.11 for a perfect 23.976hz result but the pixel clock is dropping back to 74.10 after applying it.
Only vertical back porch is applied but that results in 23.972hz.
Strange! I've just tested it here, and modifying the pixel clock works just fine here. Generally, the edit field is dropping back to the old value if interpreting your modified result failed for whatever reason. E.g. did you enter a "," for the decimal instead of a "."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I'm on the JVC now, with the JVC as the active display, and still no custom res tab in the display modes screen (set-up in my sig below, although I also have a Vertex between the AVR and the JVC, which shouldn't make any difference). It briefly appears for a fraction of a second, then it goes away (I missed it initially).

EDIT: just to clarify, nVidia sees my display as Denon AVR, MadVR sees the Denon AVR, I tell it i's an AVR, and then I configure the JVC (Digital Projector) as being attached to the Denon. The OS only sees a Generic PNP Monitor, although for Audio it sees the Denon AVR, which is my HDMI Audio Out (Default). Maybe I'm having the issue because the display isn't connected directly to the GPU?
Hmmmm... I didn't test with an AVR. Does the "identification" tab have an EDID block in it? The display mode functionality requires the EDID information to be available.

If all else fails, can you try directly connecting the JVC to the PC? Just temporarily, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
1. What is the advantage of using perfect 23.976hz instead of 60hz with smooth motion ?
1a. The panning shots seem more fluid with the smooth motion solution, is that correct ?
True 23.976hz and 60hz with smooth motion should look very similar, except that 60hz smooth motion should have slightly more blur and maybe a little ghosting. So true 23.976hz is definitely better. However, not all displays handle 23.976hz input correctly. Some judder that way. So it's possible that 60hz with smooth motion might look better in your case.

Quote:
3. Is this new "custom modes" feature of madVR created to replace ReClock ?
3a. As I see it, they work very differently. Can they work together ?
Yes, it's supposed to replace ReClock. I don't think there's any need to use ReClock, anymore, if the "custom modes" feature works for you.

Quote:
4. I guess if I use smooth motion, I don't need to use the new "custom modes" feature at all ?
Yes, if you're only interested in 23fps/24fps movies and if you use 60hz smooth motion, then custom modes are not of interest for you. Neither is ReClock.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 22:39   #44742  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
This appears to be a "bug" in LAV, but I'm not completely sure. At least it seems that LAV reports the HDR metadata differently when using software decoding vs D3D11 DXVA decoding. I have a detection for "invalid" HDR metadata in madVR which fires with LAV in software decoding mode, but not in D3D11 DXVA mode. I'll discuss this with nevcairiel.
The Sony sample has broken HDR metadata, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 17th August 2017, 22:39   #44743  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
thank you so much for enabling 10 bit fullscreen windowed. Now HDR works perfectly !!
I'll donate for sure once the version 1.0 is out .
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
Further feedback on 0.92.1 (set-up in sig below):

- Using the latest 385.28, there is an improvement re HDR in 0.92.1 as I can now get the HDR Metadata (MadVR set to pass through / send metadata) but the display doesn't switch to HDR automatically. Not a problem for me as I disable the JVC mode and switch manually to a custom mode, but I thought I'd try and let you know.
- The new 10bit path without FSE works great. That's really nice as on the JVCs FSE led to a few seconds black screen every time you used the player interface, for example, to select audio/subtitle track. Hopefully it will be possible to do without FSE for 3D too at some point.
Nice!

3D doesn't work for you without FSE? I'm pretty sure it worked for me, the last time I tested it. Although Nvidia is more picky than AMD and Intel. E.g. IIRC, it works with Nvidia only on the primary monitor, but with AMD and Intel also on secondary.

Quote:
- I enabled non-native resolutions in the custom res experimental tool (as the custom res tab doesn't work yet for me in MadVR) and created a custom res with the 1080p23 EDID. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to translate into any improvement for 1080p23FP (still 1 frame drop/repeat every 3mn or so). Does 1080p23(FP) need a custom res distinct from 1080p23(2D)? I couldn't see such in the tool.
I don't really know. I'm not even sure if the custom modes generally affect D3D11 FSE or not. D3D11 FSE is somewhat "special".

Quote:
Also, while there is no gain, when I return to MyMovies after playback of a 3D film there is a weird corruption on the screen. The screen is still in 1080p23FP, the MadVR OSD flickers on the left (even if MPC-BE isn't running anymore) and the bottom third of the screen flickers on the top third. Is there a way to reset If I exit MyMovies, the display returns to 4K23 and all is fine again. None of this happens without a 1080p23 custom res. As there doesn't seem to be a way to revert to default timings, I'll wait for a fix for the custom res tab to see where that gets me.
Don't know what to say about that.
Old 17th August 2017, 22:43   #44744  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The Sony sample has broken HDR metadata, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Yes, but I did implement detection for broken HDR metadata in madVR, and it works when LAV is using software decoding. But somehow the D3D11 DXVA decoder reports the broken HDR metadata differently, so my detection fails. There must be a reason for that?

Here's my code:

Code:
  if ((m_HDR.white_point_x != 0.0) && (m_HDR.white_point_x != 1.0) && (m_HDR.max_display_mastering_luminance > 1.0))"
It seems one of these conditions doesn't apply with the D3D11 DXVA decoder?
Old 17th August 2017, 22:44   #44745  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

custom mode tutorial:

http://madvr.com/crt/CustomResTutorial.html

Also linked in first post of this thread.
Old 17th August 2017, 22:46   #44746  |  Link
nussman

HEVC 10bit works fine now with LAV DXVA D3D11 and madVR with AMD Polaris (Win 8.1 here).
Thanks madshi and nev.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 22:50   #44747  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Yes, but I did implement detection for broken HDR metadata in madVR, and it works when LAV is using software decoding. But somehow the D3D11 DXVA decoder reports the broken HDR metadata differently, so my detection fails. There must be a reason for that?
I suppose it depends where you implemented that? Because in the D3D11 case I implement the IMediaSample, so if you have it in there, it wouldn't work.

Otherwise, the exact same data is being fed to you.

It reports a value of 1 nit, which seems to match the broken data.
Old 17th August 2017, 22:52   #44748  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Hmmmm... I didn't test with an AVR. Does the "identification" tab have an EDID block in it? The display mode functionality requires the EDID information to be available.

If all else fails, can you try directly connecting the JVC to the PC? Just temporarily, of course.
Yes, there is a (populated) raw EDID data. I'll try a direct connection with the PJ and will report back.

Quote:
3D doesn't work for you without FSE? I'm pretty sure it worked for me, the last time I tested it. Although Nvidia is more picky than AMD and Intel. E.g. IIRC, it works with Nvidia only on the primary monitor, but with AMD and Intel also on secondary.
No, for me 3D only works with FSE. I tried without and I get weird colors/corrupted picture without (although as far as MPC-BE is concerned, it "plays"). I might try again without a custom 1080p23 timing, I can't remember if I tried before of after attempting the custom timings, but I think it was before.

Quote:
Don't know what to say about that.
It would be great if the final tool (custom res tab) allowed to go back to the default timings after further testing. It's not because there is no crash that there cannot be a reason to revert we will only come accross later.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 22:59   #44749  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I suppose it depends where you implemented that? Because in the D3D11 case I implement the IMediaSample, so if you have it in there, it wouldn't work.
Oh, doh! You got me there...

Quote:
It would be great if the final tool (custom res tab) allowed to go back to the default timings after further testing. It's not because there is no crash that there cannot be a reason to revert we will only come accross later.
You should be able to go back at any time by clicking on the custom mode, then pressing the "delete" button. At least that's how it's supposed to work.
Old 17th August 2017, 23:23   #44750  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
custom mode tutorial:

how about some even more advanced test.

like frame skipping: https://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

or a test to check if a TV has a properly working 23p mode.

you use the same test and check the brightness of the squares. it should be very obvious on a TV that is doing a 3:2 pullup.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 23:39   #44751  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
You should be able to go back at any time by clicking on the custom mode, then pressing the "delete" button. At least that's how it's supposed to work.
Thanks, I wasn't sure it would do that or delete the mode, so instead, I did a clean install of the drivers to make sure I started with a clean slate.

Even with no custom res from the standalone experimental tool, the tab was missing.

So I connected the PJ directly to the GPU momentarily, and the tab appeared, so it looks like it doesn't like it when an AVR is in the chain, even if the AVR reports a populated EDID block.

I also tried 3D without FSE without an AVR in the chain and without any custom timings, and it definitely doesn't work here. The picture isn't corrupted/with weird colors as earlier, but it's 2D (no 3D at all) even if the OSD reports 3D windowed.

Hope this helps!
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 18th August 2017 at 00:41.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 00:07   #44752  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Thanks for the release madshi.

I did the first optimization run for the 2160p23 resolution. Everything went fine but when using the resolution and the same video file, windowed fullscreen reports a frame repeat every 5 minutes and fullscreen exclusive reports a frame repeat every 65/70 minutes. Clock deviations are the same.

Am I missing something ?
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 00:43   #44753  |  Link
JarrettH

Edit: Now understand you need to switch to 60 hz before modifying 59 hz otherwise you can't customize a "standard mode" refresh rate.

madshi, thanks for this new version

I have a Dell U2417H and modes 50, 59, 60 under the status column are listed as standard modes (the OS reports them). When playing a 23.976 video madvr reports "display 59.933 hz" and "composition rate 59.940 hz". Since I already have these modes listed and not missing, should I further optimize the 59 hz one or is it already perfect? The EDID for 59 hz "results in 59.93939 hz". Just now I played a 23.976 video for 40 minutes uninterrupted resulting in 1 frame repeat every 6.50 minutes.

What do you mean by a 59p video? I've never played a 59 fps video in my life :P

Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by JarrettH; 18th August 2017 at 06:22.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 01:31   #44754  |  Link
egandt

Quote:
custom mode tutorial:

I'm trying this, but I have a 4K TV with profiles and a 1080P monitor, however the custom dialog only appears for the 1080P monitor, and not the 4K TV (where it would count), with profiles, I see it appear and then disappear just as fast.

Thanks,
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 01:44   #44755  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Guys now that Im finally on Adaptive and have everything working perfectly I was wondering about dithering for 4K upscaling BDs...
I have the 1080Ti card and all my rendering times are now very very low.
These are my settings:
Chroma upscaling NGU sharp high
Luma upscaling NGU sharp high
render times 15.20ms

Dithering is set to Ordered dithering,
Should I use something higher like Error diffusion 1 or 2? since my render times are so low?
If so which one produces the best image?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 02:02   #44756  |  Link
Asmodian

There is no "best" when it comes to the two error diffusion options. I have been a fan of ED1 on my recent IPS monitors, on my older one I prefered ED2. However, on my new OLED TV I prefer ordered dithering, after a lot of testing. I didn't expect it but I have to believe my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
I'm trying this, but I have a 4K TV with profiles and a 1080P monitor, however the custom dialog only appears for the 1080P monitor, and not the 4K TV (where it would count), with profiles, I see it appear and then disappear just as fast.
You need to open it on the TV itself.
Old 18th August 2017, 02:32   #44757  |  Link
egandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
There is no "best" when it comes to the two error diffusion options. I have been a fan of ED1 on my recent IPS monitors, on my older one I prefered ED2. However, on my new OLED TV I prefer ordered dithering, after a lot of testing. I didn't expect it but I have to believe my eyes.

You need to open it on the TV itself.
I've tried disabling the 1080P monitor (so everything opens on the TV and also setting to the primary in display properties, again so that madvr opens on the TV. On another system with 4 monitors all monitors show up when I select them no matter which it was opened on, but on the HTPC, I can not get custom to display for the TV, only for the monitor, it might have to do with profiles, but I have 8 and do not want to loss them unless there is no other choice.

Thanks,
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 02:43   #44758  |  Link
Asmodian

You can backup settings.bin and then reset to test it. I am not sure, it shows up on my TV but I don't have any profiles for displays.
Old 18th August 2017, 04:04   #44759  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Getting random crashes of madvr and lock ups of MPC-HC with the new madvr.

Also, deinterlacing doesn't work with the new DX11 renderer.

Using NGU for Chroma causes it to crash as well. Didn't try the upscaling as I never use anything but Jinc for all my scaling needs.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 18th August 2017 at 06:12.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 04:15   #44760  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Similar here. PotPlayer + madVR + LAV.... Files in play list play fine, but the player crashes (sometimes it's madVR) as soon as it moves on to the next file. I had to get up off the couch and close everything and restart playback again manually for the next file. I rolled back version and all is working fine again.

QB

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling