Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th March 2004, 13:34   #1  |  Link
bond

New Ogg Theora/Vorbis/FLAC/Speex Directshow Filter Set

found a new site which is offering an as good as complete implementation of the xiph ogg format family:

http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

the filters arent able to interact with exisiting ogg stuff (corevorbis, oggds) and when using it with .ogm files it detects only a speex stream, which isnt there of course

still for ogg vorbis and speex decoding it seems to work fine

edit: updated filter list:

this filter set is already very powerful and includes:
- ogg parser filter
- ogg muxer filter
- theora enc/decoder
- vorbis enc/decoder
- speex enc/decoder
- flac enc/decoder

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 12th October 2004 at 20:20.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 11:34   #2  |  Link
bond

these filters are supporting flac too now (tough seems to be little bit buggy atm)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 2nd April 2004, 15:02   #3  |  Link
Phanton_13

they are very good codecs and the suport od flac and speex are the best of all for me , the only problem is the lak of the seeking a file capabilities , but the lack of suport of OGM is not a problem for me.
Sorry for my english.
Phanton_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 09:47   #4  |  Link
illiminable

Just a note on these codecs...

I've just comlpeted a theora filter... it will be available in the next day or two, time permitting... still a few things to clean up.

Agreed the missing seeking and position information is a major thing that is lacking now... that is the next on the agenda... A rough breakdown of future milestones is;

1) Theora Decoder completion
2) Position information
3) Seeking
4) Encoders for speex and vorbis
5) Muiltiplexer
6) Encoder for theora
7) Encoder for FLAC
8) Overall polishing, properties pages, packaging etc.
9) Testing and enabling integration with other filter packages.

I'm not very familiar with .ogm files... so i'll have to track a few down to see how they are formatted. But i do plan on supporting this, but getting core codec support is highest priority.

For the moment it was deliberate to not let these filters talk with others just to avoid compatability problems in the testing phase. Both other filters interfering with mine and mine interfering with others.

Enjoy.

Zen.
illiminable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 10:43   #5  |  Link
bond

great you are working on theora too

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th April 2004, 15:44   #6  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by illiminable
I'm not very familiar with .ogm files... so i'll have to track a few down to see how they are formatted. But i do plan on supporting this, but getting core codec support is highest priority.
... you can find Mosu and Cyrius on #matroska, irc.corecodec.com, in case you need help with OGM.

Quote:
For the moment it was deliberate to not let these filters talk with others just to avoid compatability problems in the testing phase. Both other filters interfering with mine and mine interfering with others. Enjoy. Zen.
Did you think about standardizing on certain MEDIATYPES and MEDIASUBTYPES for the Xiph codecs and the Ogg container ? As Xiph are not that interested in standardizing this, maybe we should care about it ?
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 16:04   #7  |  Link
Latexxx

Nice to see somebody working on Theora for DS. Keep it going!
Latexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 17:46   #8  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristianHJW
[BDid you think about standardizing on certain MEDIATYPES and MEDIASUBTYPES for the Xiph codecs and the Ogg container ? As Xiph are not that interested in standardizing this, maybe we should care about it ? [/B]
Seems strange that they aren't interested in standardising... i haven't talked to them about it though... It's as important to directshow as mime types are to general internet type recognition.

MEDIATYPES are pretty much decided already by MS ie Audio/Video... probably shouldn't go changing these.

SUBTYPES... definately a good idea... i haven't really tried to see what happens if i change my subtypes and just try and let it connect to one of the other groups filters. If we do this... we definately need some kind of agreement/"Expected behaviour" to ensure it doesn't just cause problems... ie to ensure that if we use the same GUIDS then we gaurantee to reject connections that we can't properly process.

And conversely gaurantee to accept and be able to process filters that conform to the expected behaviour.

It's definately something i want to do... but i've still got a lot more testing before i can make any gaurantees about my filters behaviour.
Old 8th April 2004, 15:09   #9  |  Link
illiminable

Well... the first cut at a theora filter is done... so that completes the basic functionality of the decoders (minus all the bugs)... ie vorbis/speex/flac/theora.

Theora is not very well tested yet... so let me know if you have troubles with it(besides the bugs i already know about)... I'm pretty sure theora will need DX9 for mediaplayer to run it. And only theora files encoded with the alpha 3 release (ie the one that is only about a month old) will work... it will probably crash if you try to play older bitstream versions.

FLAC is still pretty buggy... and theora has a few bugs too... you can see the ones i've already found on the webpage www.illiminable.com/ogg/

Any feedback appreciated... also if you know a good source of theora alpha3 encoded vids... please let me know... they are a pain to encode under windows at the moment.

Next on the agenda is sorting out position and seeking... i have a few weeks off coming up... so hopefully some fast progress can be expected (fingers crossed).

Enjoy

Zen.
Old 8th April 2004, 19:50   #10  |  Link
jcsston
Matroska Dev

I thought this might happen.

Instead of anyone ever updating the Ogg Splitter for FLAC, so that it does it's job (SPLITTING Ogg files!). Someone goes makes a splitter+decoder for OggFLAC files.

No one updated the Ogg Muxer either.

And to think I wondered why peope use Ogg...
jcsston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 04:41   #11  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
Originally posted by jcsston
I thought this might happen.

Instead of anyone ever updating the Ogg Splitter for FLAC, so that it does it's job (SPLITTING Ogg files!). Someone goes makes a splitter+decoder for OggFLAC files.

No one updated the Ogg Muxer either.

And to think I wondered why peope use Ogg...
I'm not sure i follow Which ogg splitter are you talking abot ?

The splitter and decoder are not one filter ? There are 5 filters in this package... a demuxer(splitter) and four decoders.

A new ogg muxer is not far away either hopefully.

I don't see how someone creating a complete codec set + associated tools can be a bad thing
Old 9th April 2004, 08:25   #12  |  Link
Latexxx

Quote:
Any feedback appreciated... also if you know a good source of theora alpha3 encoded vids... please let me know... they are a pain to encode under windows at the moment.
It appears that your only option is to program an encoding filter Theora. The other option is to use the ffmpeg method:
ffmpeg -i test_th.avi -f yuv4mpegpipe - | encoderwin -a 5 -V 1000 -o test_th.ogg test_th.wav -
Old 9th April 2004, 09:22   #13  |  Link
bond

Quote:
also if you know a good source of theora alpha3 encoded vids...
a page offering theora encodes can be found here, but i dunno if it they are a3?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 9th April 2004, 10:10   #14  |  Link
hellfred
FFmpeg fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Latexxx
It appears that your only option is to program an encoding filter Theora. The other option is to use the ffmpeg method:
ffmpeg -i test_th.avi -f yuv4mpegpipe - | encoderwin -a 5 -V 1000 -o test_th.ogg test_th.wav -
I encoded a theora video using latest ffdshow from http://www.ligh.de/software/mirrors.phtml
together with VirtualDubMod.
It worked like a charm (even two pass), though i am not 100 per cent sure the theora codec is actually a Theora1.0-alpha3, but i think so, because i can decode the resulting file with the win32 realplayer plugin, which is supposed to only decode Theora1.0-alpha3.
https://helixcommunity.org/project/s...release_id=129

Hellfred
hellfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 10:32   #15  |  Link
Phanton_13

FFdshow+virtualdubmod d'ont make theora bitstream, it make OGM with theora encapsulated bitstream, and it is played as standart OGM file not like theora file.
Old 9th April 2004, 10:45   #16  |  Link
Latexxx

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
a page offering theora encodes can be found here, but i dunno if it they are a3?
Quote:
These were created using the Theora encoder from CVS and won't play using the Theora alpha 2 player.
They appear to be alpha 3 (or at least alpha 2+).
Old 10th April 2004, 09:58   #17  |  Link
hellfred
FFmpeg fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Phanton_13
FFdshow+virtualdubmod d'ont make theora bitstream, it make OGM with theora encapsulated bitstream, and it is played as standart OGM file not like theora file.
I have placed the video into a avi container. What exactly do you mean with the term "bitstream" or theora file? Can't the bitstream be extracted from the avi?
Another way to get a theora encoded video is encoderwin.exe from
theora_tools-1.0alpha3-release_build.rar
(See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=73148)
Using this i got a file with the ending .yuv.

Maybe that will help.

Hellfred
hellfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2004, 10:13   #18  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by hellfred
I have placed the video into a avi container. What exactly do you mean with the term "bitstream" or theora file? Can't the bitstream be extracted from the avi?
from what i read the video bitstream is somehow connected with the .ogg container and therefore cant be extracted that easily

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 10th April 2004, 22:10   #19  |  Link
Phanton_13

In reality de theora bitstream format in the Ogg container is quite diferente than the hacked bitstream format for genearal A/V put in the OGM, this second is very similar to the format used in AVI, if yoy like to transform an AVi whith a theora stream in to a Ogg Theora compliant file, you ned to extract a Raw video an then with a especial parser conect to the muxer for the throra container.
----
Theora file is a theora compliant bitstream put in a ogg file whith Vorvis, Speex , Flac or whitout audio, this cam be change in a near future ading writ... and other features developep in xiph.

I like to tell de video or audio streams whith bitstream when i tell about de Ogg container, in this container dont exist a audio or video stream type, only exist one general stream type and is the codec who know wat is contained in the stream, in this contex i think that is more correct to tell de stream bitstream, In teh other hand the theora bitstream is the format of the stream type maked for the theora codec and only it know it... the ogg format is more simpler than other but is very high flexible and powerfull, and the remainder complexity for equals other container is moved to de codecs.
----
Sorry for my english
Old 12th April 2004, 15:10   #20  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
Originally posted by Latexxx
They appear to be alpha 3 (or at least alpha 2+).
They don't appear to be A3...

A3 have this string
Xiph.Org libTheora I 20040317 3 2 0

These ones have...
Xiph.Org libTheora I 20031026 3 2 0