Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 9th June 2007, 18:53   #101  |  Link
capricorn

Hi Tebasuna51-

I've tried the parameters you supplied with just - %d with no luck. I've also tried all the versions of aften.exe on the kurtnoise site as well. Which version of aften.exe should I be using?

Thanks for your help.

cap
capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 20:03   #102  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn View Post
I've tried the parameters you supplied with just - %d with no luck. I've also tried all the versions of aften.exe on the kurtnoise site as well. Which version of aften.exe should I be using?
The last rev521, but with only defaults (- %d) all must work.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 21:19   #103  |  Link
capricorn

Hi tebasuna51-

It didn't work but I'll try reinstalling all the programs and components again and see what happens.

cap
capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 22:44   #104  |  Link
Hyper_Thread

Kurtnoise's builds don't support pipes (rev521), so use Wisodev's builds. i'm using the SSE3_MT build, it works fine.
Hyper_Thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 01:20   #105  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Thread View Post
Kurtnoise's builds don't support pipes (rev521), so use Wisodev's builds. i'm using the SSE3_MT build, it works fine.
No problem with Aften rev521 pipe with Foobar or AviSynth (Bepipe, BeHappy or Soundout), Windows XP SP1, .NET Framework v2.0, Pentium 4, 2.4GHz.

Try with the aproppriate Wisodev 0.07 version and put your comments (hard and soft used).
Old 12th June 2007, 02:43   #106  |  Link
tebasuna51

With Windows Vista Home Basic (32 bits) rev521 don't work in pipe or command line mode.

All Wisodev v0.07 32bits versions works for me with a Pentium Dual Core.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 12th June 2007 at 13:20.
Old 12th June 2007, 13:29   #107  |  Link
tebasuna51

Sorry, confirmed by Kurtnoise13 theirs builds don't work with multithreading processors.

Changed the Aften link to Wisodev's builds.
Old 12th June 2007, 18:23   #108  |  Link
Hyper_Thread

Ok, problem solved...I'v been using graphedit+ffdshow to upmix my audio streams, but this method produce much better surrond sound (with tuned Aften's options, off course)
Thanks again to you & ursamlt for this great guide.
Hyper_Thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 19:30   #109  |  Link
shadowhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
I get the same error message when use a incorrect parameter line, for instance whith:
-v 0 -pad 0 -readtoe 1 -b 192 - %d
I get:
Code:
Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Mis documentos\stereoe.ac3
I had a similar problem when I first used your conversion method. I copied the command line encoder settings parameters from your first guide post (which you reference in the updated guide)
Code:
-v 0 -pad -readtoeof 1 -dnorm27 -dynrng 1 -b 448- %d
I now use
Code:
-v 0 -pad 0 -readtoeof 1 -b 576 - %d
and it works fine. For some reason, removing "-dnorm27" and "-dynrng 1" fixed the problem for me.

Like everyone else for posting this guide. Once you get everything installed and set up, it's very easy, fast and the results are great.
shadowhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 20:13   #110  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhaze View Post
I had a similar problem when I first used your conversion method. I copied the command line encoder settings parameters from your first guide post (which you reference in the updated guide)
Code:
-v 0 -pad -readtoeof 1 -dnorm27 -dynrng 1 -b 448- %d
I now use
Code:
-v 0 -pad 0 -readtoeof 1 -b 576 - %d
and it works fine. For some reason, removing "-dnorm27" and "-dynrng 1" fixed the problem for me.
The correct parameters are:
Code:
-v 0 -pad 0 -readtoeof 1 -dnorm 27 -dynrng 1 -b 448 - %d
Really the only required is -readtoeof 1 if the equivalent multichannel wav is > 4GB.
You are free to use others parameters (execute Aften -h to a complete list of parameters).
Old 30th October 2007, 19:56   #111  |  Link
NorthPole

@tebasuna51

Havent followed this thread in a while and just though I would check it since there is a new version of foobar out. WOW...a 6 channel vst hosting option....Fantastic. I had been using the ATsurround plugin but I think this is probably better. Thanks

BTW... If anyone is interested, there is a vst host plugin for the free Audacity sound editor

Links is http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...em=vst-enabler
NorthPole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 08:04   #112  |  Link
jkowtko

Hi,

This surround conversion is pretty neat.

However I am having trouble getting LFE signal from the resulting AC3 files. I don't know if it's the conversion process or the audio driver I'm using (BASS library with bass_ac3.dll).

For conversion I used the foo_channel_mixer, the VST bridge, VI.dll surround converter, and AFTEN x86 for the encoding. Everything sounds great except for no LFE.

If I am doing something wrong on the conversion or have to set up VI or Aften differently to get LFE, please let me know. However I've tried sample AC3 files from others and don't hear any LFE from them either.

Or, if you think it's my playback system and can send me an AC3 sample audio clip with a clear and loud LFE channel on it, I'll try it out on our PA system to see what it does. (Fyi, the PA plays 6 channel WMA just fine, LFE works great.)

Alternately, if AC3 is problematic in this area and there is a 6 channel WMA encoder, I'll take that as an option

Thanks. John

Last edited by jkowtko; 22nd January 2008 at 19:48.
jkowtko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:26   #113  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
this link doesn't work for me...Does anybody can provide a fresh link please ?
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:55   #114  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
Yep, seems the Steve space don't work.

I can offer my copy here: VI_Setup.zip
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:35   #115  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
site is up again
Old 25th March 2009, 07:34   #116  |  Link
Sakuya

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I just tried this alternative and found that it sounds pretty good. But I noticed that for a certain song, there's a noticeable clipping in the surround and it sounds blarey. The original was a FLAC file and was not like this. In foobar, I used the Advanced Limiter but it didn't do much. Is there a way to limit it?

Also, did anyone else have problems for certain songs with lots of choruses where the main vocal is coming from all the speakers rather than primarily the front? It sounds more like a concert hall effect than 5.1. I know there is a certain limit since we're converting stereo to surround but do the V.I. settings help in pushing the main vocals to the center channel more?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 19:02   #117  |  Link
newhaven

Foobar2000 v0943 method

I havent been around the forums much due to real life. I was pleasantly surprised to find this old post.

The links to download the install files for the Foobar2000 v0943 method by Tebasuna are not all working.

If anyone would like the install files (which will take a little digging and experimenting with on the net) please PM or email mail me at:
newhaven1074@yahoo.com.

I have loved this method since its inception many years ago. Special thanks to Steve Thomson & Tebasuna for this wonderful thread!!

Newhaven
newhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 13:22   #118  |  Link
tebasuna51

Now there are a better VST plugin for Foobar2000, the foo_channel_mixer is not needed now and is more easy to configure.

Tested with last Foobar2000 v1.2.9

a) INSTALL
- Foobar2000 v1.2.9
- V.I Suite version 1.11 Installer (Remember the installation folder, C2) (Temporal link)
- VST 2.4 adapter (foo_vst). Uncompress the .dll in ...\Foobar2000\components folder.
- Aften (obsolete use now ffmpeg) Ac3 free encoder. Uncompress Aften.exe in any folder, for instance in G:\St_Surr (C1).

b) CONFIGURE
- Foobar2000, in File -> Preferences -> Components -> VST plug-ins -> Add -> C2\VI.dll.
- Configure Aften encoder like before with: Mouse right click over a track -> Convert -> ... -> Convert Setup -> Output format -> Add new -> Encoder -> Custom...

c) PROCESS
Open a stereo file in any format supported by Foobar and:
1) Mouse right click and Convert -> ... to open 'Convert Setup'
2) In 'Convert Setup' -> Output format -> select AC3 (AFTEN) directly, select Destination and click in Procesing to open DSP Settings.
3) Active the VI plugin and click in Configure Selected.
4) The V.I settings are explained already.
5) Now there are a new option, the output channels, put always '6' (when LFE is not checked the LFE channel is empty but always present).
Attached Images

Last edited by tebasuna51; 3rd December 2020 at 11:14. Reason: add temporal link
Old 15th August 2013, 18:01   #119  |  Link
newhaven

Thanks Tebasuna, much easier!
newhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 00:08   #120  |  Link
gildardo

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it... some screen shots may be missing from previous posts, as I in the link http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...707#post991707 I see no screen in b) Configure after "... and fill this screen:" also, I don't see where "4) The V.I settings are explained already."

I apologize for nagging, but after weeks of doing a ton of Google searches on a project, my mind is completely shot, and I just can't find where things are "explained"... so please don't be angry

I also apologize, as this is my first post on doom9, after quite a bit of lurking around and assimilating information -- which has always been a lot of help, so thank you all...
gildardo is offline   Reply With Quote