Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 2nd November 2006, 17:09   #1  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Good Smart Deinterlace Filter for VirtualDub?

Hi there,

I'm looking to capture 720x480 and 720x576 component video using VirtualDub and I'd like to deinterlace this footage on the fly as I am capturing. I am thinking that with the power of Core 2 CPUs, this should not be a problem.

However, I'd like to use a smart deinterlacing filter to do the job, so only the affected parts of the interlaced frame are actually deinterlaced.

Can any one recommend a particular filter? It will be used on footage from games consoles. so the interlacing is pretty sharp there.

Last edited by Guest; 25th June 2008 at 21:57. Reason: rule 12
easy2Bcheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:58   #2  |  Link
Your_Idol

Post removed

Last edited by Your_Idol; 4th November 2006 at 14:17.
Your_Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2006, 01:28   #3  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

In VirtualDub I would use the ffvdub (comes with ffdshow) filter, which gives access to a great number of Deinterlacing filters (including KernelDeinterlacer, TomsMoComp and DScaler's Deint-Filters)

LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 23:25   #4  |  Link
vlada

Some time ago I did a comparison of some deinterlace filters. You can see the results here. The page is written in czech, but you can have a look at the images.

Based on my test I would recommend Smart Deinterlace filter from Donald Graft. But do not use blend to deinterlace the areas. This setting worked best for me:

vlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 09:16   #5  |  Link
johnsonlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlada View Post
Based on my test I would recommend Smart Deinterlace filter from Donald Graft. But do not use blend to deinterlace the areas. This setting worked best for me:
I think it depends on what kind of source.

When I capture with VHS, I compared all the choice, and found BLEND works best because it smooth the screen.

The edge will give the straight line some small cracks, just like some sprout on the flat concrete.

I also hope to find the best, and I've tried the Alparysoft filter but it seems MSU is the best, too bad SAMSUNG have the right so MSU can't release to public.
Old 22nd November 2006, 13:15   #6  |  Link
vlada

johnsonlam
I hate blend deinterlace. It looks terrible on all movie I've seen. It might look good with some low motion movies, but it is hideous in dynamic scenes.

But of course you're right, that the ideal setting depends on a source material.
Old 22nd November 2006, 13:18   #7  |  Link
AVIL

Hi,

I use muskun filter ocasionally as deinterlacer and i've found it fast. Quality is not as good as avisynth deinterlacers but perhaps meets your requeriments. Found it (with other goods virtualdub filters) at :

http://acobw.narod.ru/

NB: I'm not at all related with acobw.narod.ru
AVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 13:54   #8  |  Link
Your_Idol

Never blend and don't bother with KernelDeinterlacer or TomsMoComp they never remove all the interlacing and make the file harder to compress. I always remove a field or use Deinterlace Smooth by Gunnar Thalin.

Have a look here.
Old 6th December 2006, 04:07   #9  |  Link
johnsonlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Idol View Post
Never blend and don't bother with KernelDeinterlacer or TomsMoComp they never remove all the interlacing and make the file harder to compress. I always remove a field or use Deinterlace Smooth by Gunnar Thalin.
Thanks for the advise.

I've visited Gunnar Thalin's site and downloaded the plugin, it make the height doubled, but still have some not-so-smooth feeling on the vertical lines, any special settings?
Old 6th December 2006, 15:06   #10  |  Link
Your_Idol

You know you have to separate the feilds with avisynth and it doubles the frame rate?
Old 8th December 2006, 03:07   #11  |  Link
johnsonlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Idol View Post
You know you have to separate the feilds with avisynth and it doubles the frame rate?
Mmm ... don't know, I seldomly use avisynth because Vdub is more WYSIWYG, I found the output weird and unable to use it.

Temporary back to Donald Graft's Smart De-Interlace.
Old 9th December 2006, 01:42   #12  |  Link
TheBlueTree

Instead of creating a ew thread I'll just continue onto this one, the question is similar enough... sept I'll need alot more work and dumbing down for my question to be answered....

Basically I'm a huge newb to DvD, I finaly learned how to convet VOB to AVI but now the AVI's are interlaced, how fun!

For the past week I've been trying to learn how to fix the problem, reading guide no help there, I'm lost.

Using VdubMod I used the IVTC method of trying to deinterlace it but that only... kinda worked I guess.

Then reading guides upon guides I hear all the rabble about Avisynth, I download all this stuff for it... don't have a clue how to use it though.

I just need an easy way to deinterlace this DVD of mine. What or where should I start doing/looking.
TheBlueTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 09:05   #13  |  Link
vlada

TheBlueTree> First of all, you should check, if your DVD is really interlaced or if it is telecined. Then it would be really useful to learn how to use Avisynth. It is easy, you just create a text file with commands and an .avs extension and then you treat the file just like if it was an AVI.

You can also try to use AutoGK, which automates the use of DgIndex, Avisynth and VirtualDub. These are the essential tools to do a high quality DVD rip.

johnsonlam> You need a very simple AviSynth script for Deinterlace Smooth VD filter:
Code:
AviSource("video.avi")
SeparateFields()
This will separate the movie into fields with double framerate and a half resolution.
Old 9th December 2006, 17:54   #14  |  Link
TheBlueTree

wow I'm pretty slow lol, so it's just as basic as html format basically?

Yes it's interlaced, I was useing a DGIndex guide then it mentioned avisynth and I noobed out lol. So thank you very much I shall get to work now

If you separate the fields which doubles the frame rate.... wouldn't that make the file really huge?
TheBlueTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 01:27   #15  |  Link
Your_Idol

To use avisynth just open notepad, type the commands and save as .avs

Use the DGIndex .d2v file in a script like this:

# the lines with a # will be ignored by avisynth
# PLUGINS
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynthPlugins\decomb.dll")

# SOURCE
mpeg2source("C:\DVD\YourMovie.d2v")

# DEINTERLACING (1)
FieldDeinterlace(blend=false)

# CROPPING (Left,Top,Right,Bottom)
crop(2,76,716,424)

# RESIZING (Width,Hight)
LanczosResize(720,288)

The .avs file can then be opened in virtualdubmod and saved in fast recompress mode.
Old 10th December 2006, 07:02   #16  |  Link
johnsonlam

Quote:
johnsonlam> You need a very simple AviSynth script for Deinterlace Smooth VD filter:
Code:
AviSource("video.avi")
SeparateFields()
This will separate the movie into fields with double framerate and a half resolution.
Thanks for your advise!
Old 10th December 2006, 15:46   #17  |  Link
vlada

TheBlueTree
Of course if you double the framerate, it will make the file bigger (usually about 50%). But you don't have to double it. Try to keep original framerate and if the movie playback is smooth enough, you're done. I have good experiences with DgBob deinterlace filter. It has both modes - original and double framerate.
Old 25th June 2008, 21:33   #18  |  Link
kandrey89
Qualitas Opus Operis

Quote:
TheBlueTree> First of all, you should check, if your DVD is really interlaced or if it is telecined. Then it would be really useful to learn how to use Avisynth. It is easy, you just create a text file with commands and an .avs extension and then you treat the file just like if it was an AVI.

You can also try to use AutoGK, which automates the use of DgIndex, Avisynth and VirtualDub. These are the essential tools to do a high quality DVD rip.

Code:
AviSource("video.avi")
SeparateFields()
How do I check, if the DVD is really interlaced or if it is telecined?
kandrey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 21:35   #19  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrey89 View Post
How do I check, if the DVD is really interlaced or if it is telecined?
If its telecined, only some frames are interlaced. If its interlaced, every frame is.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 21:55   #20  |  Link
kandrey89
Qualitas Opus Operis

Wow, that made so much sense, I now see the difference thanks!
Can you tell me what this means: 29.970fps, every 4th and 5th frames are interlaced.

Goes like this: 1 2 3 4i 5i 1 2 3 4i 5i 1 2 3 4i 5i ...

It's telecined I suppose, anything you can think to tell me?
kandrey89 is offline   Reply With Quote