Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 18th February 2002, 05:59   #1  |  Link
Oe_Kintaro

Strange Squares on compresion

Please, look at the picture. See those squares with inverted colors?
Anyone knows why does this happen??

I was using Gknot and following the guide. I you want I can send you the parameters, but this happens in almos every eye or hair in an scene... it appears and in a few frames they go out.. they appear at random, and makes this look awfull

If you add subtitles and encode with nandub for example, it gets worse... More and more of this boxes appear on the subtitles.

Pleas, help me

thanks a lot

* UUPS there's no image there... well.. you can find it here:
http://www.jankenpon.com.ar/imagenes/Errorlovehina.jpg

Last edited by Oe_Kintaro; 18th February 2002 at 06:02.
Oe_Kintaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2002, 06:14   #2  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

I think NanDub refers to this as "shit"

Check into using Anti-Shit.
Old 18th February 2002, 18:35   #3  |  Link
Donald_Phuck

hardware?

what hardware are you using? (processor, motherboard).
I have seen this often on machines using an AMD processor with an ASUS Via-chipset
motherboard. Don't know if that's exactly the problem, but it would interest me to know what hardware you're using.
Donald_Phuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2002, 19:13   #4  |  Link
Oe_Kintaro

Well..

That's it
AMD Thunderbird 1.2Ghz
Asus a7v Motherboard

is there any solution to that shit?
Old 18th February 2002, 19:19   #5  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

I've seen this effect on multiple PIII/BX systems as well. There has been a lot of discussion on this subject and I don't think anyone narrowed it down to a hardware issue. Some people have the problem and others don't.

The solution is apparently to use anti-shit within Gknot. My understanding is this anti-shit feature will slow the encoding process though.
Old 18th February 2002, 20:01   #6  |  Link
Oe_Kintaro

Thanks

I didn't think that Hardware can be blamed for such errors, becouse, a Hardware Error is constant, and this errors aren't even in the same scene first they are there, then are gone.

I'll try de antishit stuff and post the results.

Thanks a lot
Old 18th February 2002, 22:14   #7  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

I guess the shit-frames might be instability issues. There's a possibility that a system goes through many hours of prime torture test but then suddenly stops with a calculation error - so technically the system is not 100% stable, even you never realize it until you a) run prime torture test for many hours b)encode with nandub...

Maybe encoding with low priority is also an issue? I've encountered "shit-frames" (short klicks or jumps) in mp3 that a friend encoded with low priority while stressing his system at the same time. I always set the encoding priority to "normal" (or even "higher" in Win98) and try not to do too much other stuff while encoding (like opening 1000 browser windows with Java-content, and so on...)
theReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2002, 10:02   #8  |  Link
starfish

I had the same problem when encoding the Futurama dvd's. I thought it had to do with the deinterlacing filter, so i asked neuron2 if it was his filter causing the problem. This is the explanation i got:

Original post by neuron2:
Quote:
Thank you for the explanation about "shit". Decomb is not generating it but the new field matching is giving you different recontructed frames (which replace the blends you got before). That stuff is in the stream and so you do need your "anti-shit" filter.
Turn on 'anti-shit', and the shit will go away :) Costs you some time, but it solves the problem. For more info on the deinterlacing issue i had, refer to the 'Futurama DVDRip' thread in this forum!

starfish
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2002, 10:44   #9  |  Link
qthesnake

when i had this problem it was always on KeyFrames... try to change the KF quality and/or number and check it out...

and of course, you got to use Anti-shit....

Q.
(use DivX 4.12, it doesn't happen there....)

Just Remember: There is no spoon!
qthesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2002, 12:12   #10  |  Link
obelix

We have discussed that before, I used to think that it is a hardware issue. But I found it on an Intel machine (p3-500 on a BX-chipset) too. My observation is that it appears quite often at higher bitrates at low compressed (2x, 3x)keyframes, but often you just don't see it. When you use a ECF-file and a stats-file from GKnot the errors are always at the same place (if you don't change other settings). When you activate antishit most are gone.
I guess the codec was concepted as a streaming codec at low bitrates and never intended to be used at the bitrate we all need. I read somwhere that MS had a maximum bitrate of 250 for that codec and some guys removed that cap. So we are working beyond specification and errors are to be expected.
As long as we can deal with them...

Corrections are welcome, I am not sure if 250 KBit is correct.
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2002, 15:44   #11  |  Link
Donald_Phuck

I never meant to insinuate that it's a hardware problem, but I had this problem before using FlaskMPEG with DivX 4.12 and a few people in other forums said it was an issue with my hardware combination (AMD+VIA) and FlaskMPEG. Everwicked had suggested that I switch over to Gordian Knot. Since then I have been converting my movies to fit on one CD thereby using far lower bit rates than when I converted to 2 CDs with Flask and
I have not yet experienced this problem (at least not to my knowledge, since I have not had the time to thoroughly inspect every film I've converted).
Since the 'anti-shit' option is only available when you use DivX 3.x, the questions that remain are which DivX version Oe_Kintaro is using and what bit rate?
Donald_Phuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2002, 19:21   #12  |  Link
Oe_Kintaro

mmm...

My point is nt space but quiality, kind of tricky what I do with this files, but you can put it this way, I first encode it using a very high quality about 30min of video in about 550 Mb I think that is 4000kBit/s + Audio.
that stream I convert it to MPG2 at DVD Quality and use it to go trough a theater proyector.
then after that work is done, I recompress it at lower quality to fit about 200Mb audio included (400kb/s min ~ 1200Kb/s max)

The fact is that In the first video (the one in the image I sent before) appears a few glitches like that, but In the recompresoin at an extremely lower bitrate, the squares get worse, not in the same place as before, but anywhere

thas why I didn't asociate it with bitrate... It might be low priority, I didn't have time to test that yet, cos' I use the PC too much.

In the other hand, I've seen videos of no more than 150Mb looking incledible perfect (like the videos I make at 4000kb/s) , with no errors or any other shit, and using DivX 3 too... Can it be anyother option than the plain bitrate setting?