Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2011, 04:41   #81  |  Link
Tappen

loekverhees: I changed manual entry to work better with the Enter key in 1017. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Tappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:28   #82  |  Link
loekverhees

I have tried the 1.0.1.8 version and it works perfectly! Now I can OCR the subtitles really quick (as I'm used to type with 10 fingers). Thank you!

Last edited by loekverhees; 22nd October 2011 at 13:31.
loekverhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:40   #83  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

is possible make version for linux?

greetings
Old 22nd October 2011, 19:53   #84  |  Link
Tappen

I could try compiling it in Mono (the Linux C# development environment). Or someone who has experience in Mono would probably be able to do it pretty quickly. Anyone interested in helping send me a note.

Since Windows 7 came out I've sort of lost interest in Linux on the desktop and don't have a machine or even a virtual image of Ubuntu to build and test with.
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:04   #85  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

another small thing related to SHD removal:

(GUNSHOT)
LESTER: Lotte, no!

gets changed to

-Lotte, no!

while it should be just

Lotte, no!

because the first SHD line contains only SHD as sound indication, but no actual person speaking. so would it be able to add this kind of recognition as well or would this then break something with the other kind of SHD removal and '-' adding if someone indeed speaks, indicated by (), [] or : ?

and another thing:

Oh!
LOTTE: Oh, God.

gets changed to

Oh!
Oh, God.

while it should be

Oh!
- Oh, God.

I can see why the '-' is not added, because theres no such indication for the first line being another speaker. so the question is whether it would be able to add this case as well without breaking anything or if that is the case, maybe it could be considered just to add another '-' to the first line as well?

sample: http://www.mediafire.com/?zeda517adw3uz2d

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 23rd October 2011 at 13:21.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:17   #86  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
while it should be

Oh!
- Oh, God.
Is this correct? I believe it should be:

Code:
- Oh!
- Oh, God.
to indicate 2 different persons are speaking.
nautilus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:23   #87  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

the above is indeed correct (at least according to the SUP file), because the first person spoke some more lines before this change in dialogue. so by watching that scene you'd be able to tell that the first line was another speaker, but maybe not from seeing that picture only. some subs do indeed have this kind of presentation. but if its not possible to differentiate between this and other cases of SHD removal and '-' adding (as said above, I edited my post), then maybe changing it automatically to the other case could be a solution.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 23rd October 2011 at 13:25.
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:52   #88  |  Link
nautilus7

Yes, I've seen this case your refer to, but I still think that the correct way to present 2 different speakers is to put a "-" for each one anyway.
Old 23rd October 2011, 14:26   #89  |  Link
Tappen

Certainly if a line is entirely removed it shouldn't be counted in considering whether there's more than 1 speaker. I'll fix that.

The 2nd case is more interesting. Does a line without any SDH text count as a different speaker is there's another line anywhere on the subtitle which does have some SDH and wasn't completely removed? I suspect it does.

I'll change the code and run some of the test cases and see what the results are before I check in a change.
Old 23rd October 2011, 15:12   #90  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Yes, I've seen this case your refer to, but I still think that the correct way to present 2 different speakers is to put a "-" for each one anyway.
in general I wouldnt mind, but I dont agree on all cases

e.g. when the first line is spoken by an outside narrator and maybe also presented in italics then imho the look of it wouldnt be as fitting as without (cant seem to center the 2nd line here though)

...and the princess ran home as fast as she could
- Mother!

imho this fits better than

- ...and the princess ran home as fast as she could
- Mother!

because in this situation the narrator in not a person inside the story and the '-' expresses a more immediate presence to me.
Old 23rd October 2011, 18:44   #91  |  Link
nautilus7

Maybe you're right. I won't insist. It's a minor issue anyway.
Old 23rd October 2011, 19:25   #92  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I think the most important thing is to keep things working. so if it can be implemented like this, fine. but if not, then I also wont mind to have it changed as suggested.
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:50   #93  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

moar: http://www.mediafire.com/?ugbgtacinxlx3b8

<i>- ♪ Is mighty chilly♪</i>
- [ Whimpering Continues ]

gets changed to

while it should be

<i>♪ Is mighty chilly♪</i>

edit: might be the same case as in #85 though -.-

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 23rd October 2011 at 20:57.
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:21   #94  |  Link
Tappen

Quote:
- [ Whimpering Continues ]

gets changed to

while it should be

<i>♪ Is mighty chilly♪</i>
This just seems like the subtitle creators are trying to make my life hard. If there's a - in the original text I don't think I can reliably remove it without causing more problems than I solve.
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:30   #95  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

have you stored all those recent samples I uploaded?

when you have a sample for each different case we had so far and note down the line in which the typical feature of each sample occurs, then it should be rather easy to test all your samples after each change and you can see if anything breaks.

if there is anything you cannot implement without breaking other stuff, maybe its a good idea to collect all those cases with examples in a seperate post so that a user always knows what he has to look out for by himself if he reliably wants to get rid of SHD.
Old 24th October 2011, 07:27   #96  |  Link
Tappen

I do have all the test cases. It's sort of amazing how you guys keep finding and documenting some pretty rare bugs in the SDH removal. When I'm having a particularly clear-headed day this week I'll try to improve the multiple speaker code. I also need to consider how much of the code is common between SRT and ASS creation, since positioning on the screen can indicate multiple speakers in ASS format.

Honestly I'm probably more interested in adding 2 new features at this point: 1. multiple character sets (Greek, Cyrillic, User Custom 1 and 2 is my first thought) along with multiple OCR databases and 2. localization (easy UI translation to other languages) to the program.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:40   #97  |  Link
nautilus7

Looking forward for these. You can count me in for Greek translation.
Old 24th October 2011, 16:32   #98  |  Link
aMvEL

I'm trying to OCR a vobsub, but I get an error: "No Subtitle Found".
It is working when using SubRip.

Example: http://www.mediafire.com/?bl3brwq58umv5be
aMvEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 01:29   #99  |  Link
Tappen

aMvEL: your idx file had an extra piece of data in every subtitle timestamp line that I wasn't parsing correctly (because I'd never seen it before). 1019 fixes the problem.
Old 25th October 2011, 06:31   #100  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Apparently the professional sub studios see it differently. I've seen various official DVD subs lately that do make this distinction only on line 2 when the new person starts to talk. There however seems to be no consensus about whether a blank should follow the dash or not. Some subs have them, some don't.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote