Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 29th November 2010, 13:23   #10801  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreemv View Post
But, shouldnt I be setting the source to "29.970" for NTSC? Thats what it shows in mediainfo as frame reate for the video.
One more time, the video frame rate isn't related with audio.
Try yourself.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:40   #10802  |  Link
sreemv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
One more time, the video frame rate isn't related with audio.
Try yourself.
Sorry for being a newbie but I was under the impression that I am having to compensate/stretch the audio to match the video frame rate difference[29.970 vs 23.976/24]? No?
Old 29th November 2010, 18:44   #10803  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreemv View Post
Sorry for being a newbie but I was under the impression that I am having to compensate/stretch the audio to match the video frame rate difference[29.970 vs 23.976/24]? No?
No. If the video framerate is changed by adding/dropping frames/fields then the duration is the same and the audio requires no adjustment.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:21   #10804  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

How come, when I convert the audio from VOB-files (AC3) to AAC, I sometimes get this type of message: "a03 [NeroAacEnc] Processed 7260 second. Aborted at file position 4153661440.", but sometimes the ~third try it works OK?
Old 30th November 2010, 10:26   #10805  |  Link
mrr19121970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteen88 View Post
How come, when I convert the audio from VOB-files (AC3) to AAC, I sometimes get this type of message: "a03 [NeroAacEnc] Processed 7260 second. Aborted at file position 4153661440.", but sometimes the ~third try it works OK?
the 1st 2 times you get a read error, the 3rd you didn't.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:36   #10806  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr19121970 View Post
the 1st 2 times you get a read error, the 3rd you didn't.
That never happens when I use MKVMerge, so I doubt that the harddrive is bad. Does eac3to got better errorcheck than MKVMerge, or what?
Also, when I convert to FLAC, I never got that problem.

EDIT: @MikeEby I run it on a copy (ripped) that is already on the harddrive. But as said, it seems to be an issue that has not been properly fixed yet.

Last edited by Forteen88; 3rd December 2010 at 02:57.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:50   #10807  |  Link
MikeEby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteen88 View Post
That never happens when I use MKVMerge, so I doubt that the harddrive is bad. Does eac3to got better errorcheck than MKVMerge, or what?
Also, when I convert to FLAC, I never got that problem.
You get this error when your ripping directly off the Blu-ray or when the copy of the disk is already on the hard drive? I've never seen the error when AnyDVD has made a copy to hard drive. I have seen it when ripping directly off the Blu-Ray disk.

Mike

Last edited by MikeEby; 30th November 2010 at 16:52.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:37   #10808  |  Link
Snowknight26

It's an issue with the way NeroAacEnc and eac3to work together. Ever since I reported the issue, madshi tried to fix, but by doing so caused the same issue to appear under different circumstances. The only sure fire to not run into the issue is to encode individual demuxed tracks to AAC.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:39   #10809  |  Link
IanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogo_kawada View Post
A little help here?

To sum up: Blade Runner HD-DVD, seamless branching with 3 different versions of the movie. eac3to gives me the list of playlist, listing all of them with 3 audio. When I demux the first playlist, i get this "video and audio overlaps" problem, and I get 6 audio streams instead of 3. More importantly, none of the demuxed audio track is correctly in sync with the video, starting from 1:39:58.
An option with HD-DVD titles and AnyDVD HD is to edit the playlist .XPL file to remove any unwanted material. Once you have it pared down to the absolute minimum, eac3to and ClownBD are usually able to work with it.

I have seen some titles that embed a different video structure at the start of an .evo, which throws off eac3to: by looking into the .XPL file and editing it to remove the offending reference, all is well. The only problem is that chapters times are then incorrect and must be adjusted accordingly. Interestingly, I think Bluray is starting to prefix different video at the beginning of some files too.

I strongly suggest, if working with HD-DVD, to become familiar with the basics of editing .XPL playlists as an additional tool: that way you have exact control over what is happening, instead of relying on software you have little control over.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:45   #10810  |  Link
shogo_kawada

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
I strongly suggest, if working with HD-DVD, to become familiar with the basics of editing .XPL playlists as an additional tool: that way you have exact control over what is happening, instead of relying on software you have little control over.
Thanks for your reply, but I already solved my Blade Runner situation using the process described in this post. I also managed to add the italian soundtrack (taken from a cheap dvd boxset), slowed down with eac3to
Old 3rd December 2010, 07:55   #10811  |  Link
jd213

Hmm, all of the HD DVD to BD-R conversions I've done with thd+ac3 tracks encoded by eac3to give me an "Unknown Disc" error with my Oppo BDP-80, although they work fine in my PS3 and Japanese Sony BD recorder. Discs without thd+ac3 work fine in the Oppo.

I'll be sure to ask in a forum dedicated to Oppo players since it seems to be more of a player problem, but any ideas what might be causing this?

edit: nevermind, it looks like all of the TrueHD titles I re-authored coincidentally were all burned to LTH discs, which won't play on the BDP-80.

Last edited by jd213; 3rd December 2010 at 18:13.
Old 4th December 2010, 14:46   #10812  |  Link
TDiTP_

DTS(-HD) 2.1 and MLP

May be bug?

1). eac3to 3.24 can't decode any MLP encoded in SurCode Dolby MLP Encoder 1.0.29. (sample)

Code:
eac3to v3.24
command line: eac3to ID20.mlp ID20.wav -libav
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MLP, 5.1 channels, 16 bits, 48kHz
Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
The libav decoder output an unexpected bitdepth (-1).  <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 262144.  <ERROR>
Code:
eac3to v3.24
command line: eac3to ID20.mlp ID20.nero.wav -nero
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MLP, 5.1 channels, 16 bits, 48kHz
Disabling DRC for Nero (E-)AC3 decoding...
Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
The DirectShow audio decoder didn't accept the input stream.  <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 262144.  <ERROR>
At the same time older versions of eac3to (for example 3.17) work perfectly (bit-in-bit). As well as http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/ .

2). ArcSoft DTS Decoder 1.1.0.0 and 1.1.0.7 with eac3to can't normal decode DTS(-HD) 2.1. LFE-channel is clear.
In the same time Sonic (4.3.0.169) works well.
Samples: DTS 2.1, DTS-96/24 2.1, DTS-HD MA 2.1.

Last edited by TDiTP_; 4th December 2010 at 15:22. Reason: add DTS(-HD) 2.1
Old 4th December 2010, 16:42   #10813  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quote:
ArcSoft DTS Decoder 1.1.0.0 and 1.1.0.7 with eac3to can't normal decode DTS(-HD) 2.1. LFE-channel is clear.
Arrrgh, can't Arcsoft just make something that ALWAYS WORKS?
Old 5th December 2010, 00:47   #10814  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

whats worse is they dont even seem to be able or willing to fix it in updates. those problems must have been known to them since quite a while.
Old 5th December 2010, 01:36   #10815  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
whats worse is they dont even seem to be able or willing to fix it in updates. those problems must have been known to them since quite a while.
since Sonic works well for those DTS(-HD) 2.1 tracks then i don't see why we should care about Arcsoft, but it would be very handy if we have a chart giving information which DTS(-HD) with which decoder (Arcsoft, Sonic, etc) works good.
Old 5th December 2010, 04:30   #10816  |  Link
dansrfe

Yep, I can confirm the bug. Well this just sucks.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:02   #10817  |  Link
TDiTP_

AFAIK ArcSoft bugs are:

1). Any version can't ignore DN in DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD Hi-Res.
Solition: Sonic, but we can't use it with > 6.1
BTW reference decoder of DTS-HD StreamPlayer can't ignore dialog normalization too (that is why file-header cutting won't help us)

2). DTS-ES Discrete 6.1/6.0 (in eac3to terms: DTS-ES 6.1/6.0) and DTS-HD with this core can be decoded with only ArcSoft 1.1.0.0. Other versions do not work.

3). DTS(-HD) 1.0 can be decoded with only ArcSoft 1.1.0.0 and 1.1.0.8.

4). Any version can't decode DTS-HD MA 7.1 ("strange setup").
Solution: if we have DTS-HD StreamPlayer we can cut file-header (first 140 byte) of similar stream obtained in DTS-HD Master Audio Suite and then merge it with our DTS-HD MA 7.1. This new track can be decoded in StreamPlayer.

5). Any version can't decode DTS(-HD) 2.1.
Solution: Sonic, Nero (libav gives too low level of LFE-channel)

Last edited by TDiTP_; 9th January 2011 at 09:56. Reason: Update info
Old 5th December 2010, 17:43   #10818  |  Link
Frogger13
Just another User

Well beside being very time consuming this does not solve the problem at all as I had one time to restart single file encoding about 10 times until it finally succeded. In EAC3to v3.22 This error never happened to me and still doesn't (I reverted to that version since 3.24 is horrible)!

So if things where buggy then they where still way better than now.

Put simply: EAC3to v3.24 is useless for AC3 to AAC encoding and you must revert to v3.22!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
It's an issue with the way NeroAacEnc and eac3to work together. Ever since I reported the issue, madshi tried to fix, but by doing so caused the same issue to appear under different circumstances. The only sure fire to not run into the issue is to encode individual demuxed tracks to AAC.
PS: I did never Encode from a muxed file. I always encode from extracted DTS or AC3 tracks. Both of them cause the Error, the only difference being that the error happens more often when more than 1 file is encoded at a time, but it still happens when encoding 1 file at a time.

Last edited by Frogger13; 5th December 2010 at 19:36.
Old 6th December 2010, 03:43   #10819  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiTP_ View Post
Solution: if we have DTS-HD StreamPlayer we can cut file-header (first 140 byte) of similar stream obtained in DTS-HD Master Audio Suite and then merge it with our DTS-HD MA 7.1. This new track can be decoded in StreamPlayer.
but whats the channel matrix then afterwards for that 7.1 track, is it that one of a strange setup track or of a normal 7.1 one? (they are slightly different)
Old 6th December 2010, 13:01   #10820  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiTP_ View Post
AFAIK ArcSoft bugs are:

I don't think so.
I think ArcSoft decode correctly DTS-HD MA 7.1 ("strange setup"), and search other "solution" is useless.

Let me explain the problem:

When decode standard 7.1 we can obtain a exact correlation between DTS speakers and WAV speakers:
Lss -> Side Left
Lsr -> Back Left
(the same for Right speakers)

But with "strange setup" we have:
Ls -> ?
Lsr -> Back Left
Don't exist, in WAV specs, a channel equivalent to Ls, we have only
SPEAKER_BACK_LEFT
SPEAKER_BACK_RIGHT
SPEAKER_BACK_CENTER
SPEAKER_SIDE_LEFT
SPEAKER_SIDE_RIGHT
(and others not related)

Then ArcSoft decode:
Side_Left = 0.6007 x Ls
Back_Left = 0.6804 x Lsr + 0.3196 x Ls
the Ls channel is separated in two components with this conditions:

0.6804 + 0.3196 = 1
to avoid overflow, and

(0.6007)^2 + (0.3196)^2 = (0.6804)^2
to preserve the audio power contribution of Ls.

All other channels must be attenuated also like:
Front_Left = 0.6804 x L
to preserve the volume balance.

And don't exist a better solution to the problem.
For what you want extract the exact Ls channel?
You can't convert it to other audio format, and you can't play it ,unless you change the speakers position physically in your audio room each time you want play a "strange setup".

When you play a DTS "strange setup" in your receiver it stop the play and send a message like "Please, change the Side speakers to Ls-Rs possitions and press Play to continue"?

I think not, or make a mix like ArcSoft do or you play incorrectly the audio.

Tags
eac3to