Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th January 2013, 11:52   #16841  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei View Post
So I kind of figured it out, it was cuz I had it set to DXVA2 (native), i switched it to DXVA2 (copy-back) in the LAV filter and it works a little better but not totally, still eats my CPU like crazy. ZoomPlayer uses ~33% cpu no subtitles, and about 47% cpu with subtitles... *sigh* Like I said this is for 720p video...
Why don't you tell us more about your system (CPU/RAM/Graphics Card/Operating System)?
Old 11th January 2013, 12:11   #16842  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
I m using latest versions of madVR/MPC-HC/LAV Filters. Is it possible with this software setup to move subtitles when running 2:35:1 content from the black bars (letterbox) up? And if so, is it both possible for BDMV blu-ray structure folder content which has embedded subtitles, and for .m2ts content with added .srt subtitle file.
I think you should post this question in MPC-HC thread.

You can't control position of the pgs/dvb subtitles. Unfortunately there is a bug in the ISR and if window size is not exactly the same aspect ratio as video frame subtitles will be wrong positioned.

As for text (.srt) subtitles you can change their position in options (options->default style->screen alignment and margins) just increase bottom margin to move subtitles higher

Last edited by kasper93; 11th January 2013 at 12:13.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 18:48   #16843  |  Link
pei

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrovski View Post
Well I can't really tell whether it's 0.5 or 0.2 or 0.1... it's kind of annoying to me and why it is not normal behavior for other renderers?
It does it because it's going into "exclusive" mode. I don't understand exactly why it has to do that but I know it does in order to best utilize the hardware decoding... It's not a bug, or something that should annoy you. This is a whole new generation of video/hardware decoding, it just works different. I'd just be happy that it works at all and looks as nice as it does.

Last edited by pei; 11th January 2013 at 18:53.
pei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 19:00   #16844  |  Link
pei

Is there an IRC channel for madVR?
Old 11th January 2013, 19:13   #16845  |  Link
nekrovski

Quote:
It does it because it's going into "exclusive" mode.
I thought of that too and that's why I disabled

however it's not very clear to me that, that option is actually disabling it whole nor do I know what exclusive means... perhaps the author will come and shine light upon me on this "issue"
nekrovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 19:43   #16846  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrovski View Post
for a split second the video gets stretched out (covering the black bars) and goes back to it's normal fullscreen/resolution.
Quote:
It does it because it's going into "exclusive" mode.
The behavior nekrovski described is not caused by Fullscreen Exclusive mode. This has always been a madVR quirk, even with Fullscreen Windowed mode. The slower your GPU, the longer that first frame will be incorrectly stretched to desktop resolution.

That said, Fullscreen Exclusive does take a split-second longer to enter Fullscreen than Windowed, which can potentially make this stretching anomaly more obvious.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 23:51   #16847  |  Link
DragonQ

Madshi, do you know why this MBAFF AVC video isn't deinterlaced by MadVR in auto mode (using LAV & MPC-HC)? EVR plays it back fine (25 fps during first ~10 s, 50 fps for last ~20 s) but MadVR never turns deinterlacing on.
Old 11th January 2013, 23:55   #16848  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Madshi, do you know why this MBAFF AVC video isn't deinterlaced by MadVR in auto mode (using LAV & MPC-HC)? EVR plays it back fine (25 fps during first ~10 s, 50 fps for last ~20 s) but MadVR never turns deinterlacing on.
It looks like the first few seconds are actually progressive, and this information also ends up in the media type, which triggers madVR to believe the file is actually progressive.
LAV also thinks this at first, but once it switches to MBAFF, LAV notices and informs madVR with a new media type (switches from interlace flags 0x0 to 0x81), but this is not enough, apparently.

You can actually fix this by setting LAV to "Aggressive Deinterlacing", this flags the stream differently and overwrites madVRs bitstream info (this uses interlace flags 0x1)

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th January 2013 at 00:00.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 00:05   #16849  |  Link
DragonQ

Thanks for the explanation. Does this require a change in MadVR to fix (rather than workaround) then? Also, would enabling "Aggressive Deinterlacing" have any adverse effects on other files?
Old 12th January 2013, 00:11   #16850  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Because of many decoders misbehaving and setting interlaced flags wrong, i don't think madshi wanted the behaviour much different (i have discussed this with him before )

Anyway, Aggressive Deinterlacing usually doesn't have any real downsides with hardware deinterlacing, because the HW Deinterlacer can figure out if something needs deinterlacing before doing it, but with YADIF it may degrade quality a bit on mixed content (mixed progressive/interlaced).
Pure progressive content is not affected at all by the setting.
Old 12th January 2013, 00:48   #16851  |  Link
DragonQ

Interestingly, although the "Aggressive Deinterlacing" workaround works for the ~hour of interlaced video after the progressive title sequence, it doesn't work for the pre-titles section, which is definitely interlaced video but not being detected as such. Tis possible the metadata is wrong in this section. Sample here.
Old 12th January 2013, 01:45   #16852  |  Link
pei

IRC channel anyone? Maybe we could start one on NewNet? irc.virtual-dope.com #madvr if anyone is interested...
Old 12th January 2013, 01:51   #16853  |  Link
chuuey

hey guys, just wondering if I will get frame drops no matter what I do unless i get reclock? I managed to get my display refresh to a 23.976xx something - madVR displays that, but still I get a 1 frame repeat every 12-13 minutes - or so the OSD shows. Unless I configured something in madVR badly? Cheers
chuuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 02:37   #16854  |  Link
dansrfe

I think this would be a right time to make use of IRC for discussions related to madVR since the response time may be quicker for simple questions.

And to keep doom9 updated we can log the channel and maybe madshi could add a link to the log in the first post?
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 02:52   #16855  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuey View Post
hey guys, just wondering if I will get frame drops no matter what I do unless i get reclock? I managed to get my display refresh to a 23.976xx something - madVR displays that, but still I get a 1 frame repeat every 12-13 minutes - or so the OSD shows. Unless I configured something in madVR badly? Cheers
I honestly don't think matching rates can stop frame drops repeats. I was able to match my playback rate to my display rate reported by madvr down to like 0.0001hz using svp interpolation.

I still get drops. Madshi suggested it could be due to the clock deviation so your display will never exactly be 23.976. For those brief moments I guess you could drop a frame. That's my understanding
I actually made adjustments to my playback rate upwards in tiny increments using svp until I got 0 frame drops but can't really be sure that im not getting frame repeats. I think there's always a need for some software solution to sort out this type of problem I guess. Matching rates is good but not enough.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 02:58   #16856  |  Link
Gelatinous

Quote:
IRC channel anyone? Maybe we could start one on NewNet? irc.virtual-dope.com #madvr if anyone is interested...
madshi has been asked before and wasnt interested in creating an IRC channel.
Gelatinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 07:20   #16857  |  Link
dansrfe

For some reason when I drag MPC-HC to my second screen MPC-HC freezes and creates a dump file. This just started happening out of the blue...
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 08:56   #16858  |  Link
kthxbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
For some reason when I drag MPC-HC to my second screen MPC-HC freezes and creates a dump file. This just started happening out of the blue...
I have the exact same problem! Good to see it probably isn't my set-up.

--dump file attached--
Attached Files
File Type: rar mpc-hc.exe.1.6.5.6366.rar (21.1 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by kthxbye; 12th January 2013 at 09:05.
kthxbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 12:49   #16859  |  Link
chuuey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
I honestly don't think matching rates can stop frame drops repeats. I was able to match my playback rate to my display rate reported by madvr down to like 0.0001hz using svp interpolation.

I still get drops. Madshi suggested it could be due to the clock deviation so your display will never exactly be 23.976. For those brief moments I guess you could drop a frame. That's my understanding
I actually made adjustments to my playback rate upwards in tiny increments using svp until I got 0 frame drops but can't really be sure that im not getting frame repeats. I think there's always a need for some software solution to sort out this type of problem I guess. Matching rates is good but not enough.
I see, thanks I guess I can live with 2 or 3 frame skips now and then, just was happy i managed to create a custom resolution that actually does 23.976
chuuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 13:55   #16860  |  Link
Jong

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuey View Post
If you don't like the "barely supported" nature of Reclock these days There are alternatives players that encorporate "Reclock-like" technology that work together with MadVR, both mediaportal and JRiver MediaCenter
for example.

I don't use Mediaportal but JRiver MC is now my normal HTPC frontend and they are now aggressively incorporating both the latest MadVR and LAV builds (in fact they somewhat overzeleousy included a LAV beta in a full release a few days ago!). JRiver MC includes Videoclock which has all the benefits of Reclock in a supported package with LAV and MadVR.

Last edited by Jong; 12th January 2013 at 21:26.
Jong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling