Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th August 2010, 17:07   #3941  |  Link
namaiki

Try on the 8600M GT first. Make sure you have the latest ForceWare (if you can't update for some reason, you can still try download GPU-z), download the latest GPU-z. Open GPU-z, go to the sensors tab. There should be load readings for GPU, RAM, RAM usage. Tick 'continue refreshing this screen while GPU-z is in the background'. Open madVR, and play a video in full screen as usual and check the load readings.

If they look high, you can try set flushes as follows (I haven't bothered recommending these in a while):
After render: flush and wait(sleep)
After last step: flush
After backbuffer: don't flush
After present: don't flush

Also, make sure that your PC is set to portable/laptop or a power profile where it will not throttle the CPU.

These are all blind information, but I really hope you can get this working.

Lastly, are these all standard videos like 23.976 or 29.970 fps, or is this the interlaced thing?
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 17:54   #3942  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Try on the 8600M GT first. Make sure you have the latest ForceWare (if you can't update for some reason, you can still try download GPU-z), download the latest GPU-z. Open GPU-z, go to the sensors tab. There should be load readings for GPU, RAM, RAM usage. Tick 'continue refreshing this screen while GPU-z is in the background'. Open madVR, and play a video in full screen as usual and check the load readings.

If they look high, you can try set flushes as follows (I haven't bothered recommending these in a while):
After render: flush and wait(sleep)
After last step: flush
After backbuffer: don't flush
After present: don't flush

Also, make sure that your PC is set to portable/laptop or a power profile where it will not throttle the CPU.

These are all blind information, but I really hope you can get this working.

Lastly, are these all standard videos like 23.976 or 29.970 fps, or is this the interlaced thing?
Thanks, namaiki, for trying to help me out. Ya, these videos are just regular 23.970 or 23.976 fps per MediaInfo. Both laptops' power profiles have always been at portable/laptop. Tried your settings, unfortunately no help. Newest GPU-Z version sensors tab only shows me GPU Core Clock, Memory Clock & Shader Clock readings which I'm sure are not the load readings you were referring to for me to monitor. Thanks again but still at a loss...

Edit: After further research the problem seems to be mostly with 1280x720 material with fps of 29.970 and higher (30.000). 1280x720 vids with 23.976 and 25.000 fps don't play too badly. Is this a hint to finally solving this problem?

Last edited by andybkma; 5th August 2010 at 18:09.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 18:42   #3943  |  Link
BeNooL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Don't see that on my PC. Do you have the same problem in windowed mode?
I don't watch videos in windowed mode...
This is new to 0.25 build. Previous version were very smooth from beginning to end.
Quote:
Do you see the same behaviour with EVR/VMR exclusive mode? Or is this specific to madVR?
I don't think I ever used EVR/VMR exclusive mode before.
Saying that I realize my contribution to helping the developpement starts to grow thin
BeNooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 18:45   #3944  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
madshi, the aspect ratio (Derived) is what has been preventing ZP going into exclusive on my system, if the resolution does not match the video.
madshi, I've found similar results with Zoom Player. The key is whether the display AR of the the video matches the display AR of the screen or not.

I'm using a 1920x1080 TV so 16x9 video triggers exclusive mode but anything else doesn't (although MPC HC seems to work as expected with non-16x9 material).

I should say that flipping in and out of exclusive mode is fast on my PC. Not quite instant but not far off - certainly a small fraction of a second. I'm running Windows 7 32bit with an Nvidia 8600GT 512MB, and using CoreAVC in CUDA mode to decode.

But aside from ZP not always switching to exclusive it's looking very good - thanks for the new version!
TinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 19:40   #3945  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post
I don't watch videos in windowed mode...
I think I'm right in saying with older versions of madvr (before 024) you were in windows mode even when in full screen unless you were testing the AERO mode which was in a couple of builds.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 20:40   #3946  |  Link
THX-UltraII

What does the new fullscreen exclusive mode do?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 20:59   #3947  |  Link
BeNooL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I think I'm right in saying with older versions of madvr (before 024) you were in windows mode even when in full screen unless you were testing the AERO mode which was in a couple of builds.
Oh ok. Then yes, there is no such issue in previous version.

Just finished watching a movie with 0.25 FS Exclusive disabled and no hiccups all along.

So for me, FS exclusive mode is worse than normal/windowed mode.
BeNooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 21:03   #3948  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Having more thoughts about it, Reclock simply asks GDI for the current resolution...if D3D is clueless, GDI's got to know

Last edited by leeperry; 5th August 2010 at 21:41.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 21:16   #3949  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Thanks, namaiki, for trying to help me out. Ya, these videos are just regular 23.970 or 23.976 fps per MediaInfo. Both laptops' power profiles have always been at portable/laptop. Tried your settings, unfortunately no help. Newest GPU-Z version sensors tab only shows me GPU Core Clock, Memory Clock & Shader Clock readings which I'm sure are not the load readings you were referring to for me to monitor. Thanks again but still at a loss...

Edit: After further research the problem seems to be mostly with 1280x720 material with fps of 29.970 and higher (30.000). 1280x720 vids with 23.976 and 25.000 fps don't play too badly. Is this a hint to finally solving this problem?
your GPU is most likely not fast enough. i have an 8500 GT(16 vs your 32 shader cores). And it drops frames like crazy if i enable resizers like lanczos or spline. Softcubic, Bicubic, and those work just fine.

Best tip i can give you is to overclock your GPU. Programs such as EVGA Precision or RivaTuner will let you do that. note that only shader clock actually makes any difference. The rest can be left alone.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 22:19   #3950  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Would have to change the install bat every time. In the long run I'll probably not ship all those various versions, anymore, but just the latest one. I'm shipping so many versions now because it's still so early in development and sometimes older versions may work better than newer versions.
madshi, I think you missed my point. I'm not talking about changing the name of the .ax file - I'm talking about the file version (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx) (right click - properties - Details in Win7 or right click - properties - Version in WinXP)
Quote:
VMR9 already has an interface which allows that, but ZoomPlayer isn't using it (AFAIK). ZoomPlayer seems to be using standard Delphi GUI elements to draw the GUI, and I don't think it's easy to draw these GUI elements into a device context.
I suppose you are right
Quote:
Not sure if that makes sense. If madVR does not switch out of exclusive mode when it's covered by other windows then there may be nasty flickering between madVR window and the other window.
I'm not sure why do you think there will be flickering. DVBViewer is using fullscreen exclusive mode and there is no flickering at all. But I suppose you know better. I was just trying to find a way to prevent unnecessary switching between exclusive and windowed modes.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 00:25   #3951  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
madshi, I've found similar results with Zoom Player. The key is whether the display AR of the the video matches the display AR of the screen or not.

I'm using a 1920x1080 TV so 16x9 video triggers exclusive mode but anything else doesn't (although MPC HC seems to work as expected with non-16x9 material).

I should say that flipping in and out of exclusive mode is fast on my PC. Not quite instant but not far off - certainly a small fraction of a second. I'm running Windows 7 32bit with an Nvidia 8600GT 512MB, and using CoreAVC in CUDA mode to decode.

But aside from ZP not always switching to exclusive it's looking very good - thanks for the new version!

Yes, you are right, it is the aspect ratio, not the resolution.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 02:26   #3952  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
your GPU is most likely not fast enough. i have an 8500 GT(16 vs your 32 shader cores). And it drops frames like crazy if i enable resizers like lanczos or spline. Softcubic, Bicubic, and those work just fine.

Best tip i can give you is to overclock your GPU. Programs such as EVGA Precision or RivaTuner will let you do that. note that only shader clock actually makes any difference. The rest can be left alone.
So even though these 1280x720 high fps videos play fine with madVR's default settings on my other monitors with screen resolution 1280x720 and 1280x800, it's because I'm trying to watch them fullscreen on a monitor with 1600x900 native resolution my gpu can't keep up? Is this the case and why? I'm just trying to learn here...
Old 6th August 2010, 02:54   #3953  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
my gpu can't keep up?
you can always check your GPU load using GPU-Z
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 03:35   #3954  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Honestly, madVR is a high end renderer, under development - it's not for people on their learners permit.

I'm sure madshi is after some feedback on low end PC performance, but in my opinion, if you don't have a decent PC, don't bother (most laptops fall into this category). If you don't have the understanding of filters, and how to set YV12, and what levels are, what exclusive mode is, etc...don't bother.

Go install VLC or something, and it will just work. When it's all refined and working, it will be more suitable for entry-level users.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 04:08   #3955  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
So even though these 1280x720 high fps videos play fine with madVR's default settings on my other monitors with screen resolution 1280x720 and 1280x800, it's because I'm trying to watch them fullscreen on a monitor with 1600x900 native resolution my gpu can't keep up? Is this the case and why? I'm just trying to learn here...
resizing takes a lot of GPU resources in madVR. a 1280x720 video will not get resized at fullscreen on your first two monitors but will be on a 1600x900 monitor. like i said, i have an 8500 GT and i can't play videos smoothly even when i overclock at stock resizers on a 1680x1050 screen. Switching to Bicubic and Bilinear solves the problem nicely.

edit: since you have an 8600 which is more powerful than my GPU, try overclocking. It won't hurt to do a 50Hz or even 100Hz overclock on your GPU and your problems might go away.

Last edited by Mangix; 6th August 2010 at 04:11.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 07:23   #3956  |  Link
andybkma

Thank you guys for helping me out and teaching me why I have this problem. Next laptop I will get will have a better video card but in the meantime lower rez vids play fine with madVR's default settings which is what I mostly play on my projector. Thanks again...
Old 6th August 2010, 07:31   #3957  |  Link
lych_necross
ZZZzzzz...

Quote:
In what way does that surprise you?

mad* home cinema network -> madHcNet.dll

I thought that much was obvious! Let me state again that madHcNet.dll does *NOT* contact the internet, or "dial home" or anything of that sort. I've seen speculation about that in another forum. So in order to put that fear to rest, let me say that much, that madHcNet.dll allows madVR instances on the local LAN to see and communicate with each other. This functionality is not actually used yet, though. And I won't say (yet) which purpose it will be used for.
I didn't mean to suggest that madvr or madhcnet.dll is malicious in any way. Quite the opposite. This is just some friendly speculation. I, along with other people, noticed something new and I'm curious to see what it does when your ready to release it officially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
That's the most logical explanation but I don't see the point to that..as most processing is done in the GPU anyway?
Well, just have to wait and see.

Last edited by lych_necross; 6th August 2010 at 07:34.
lych_necross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 08:45   #3958  |  Link
Grmpf

Quote:
madVR takes GPU Power to do the resizing and from my experience it is that way:

- If inpput = output resolution -> madVR needs alot less power (only chroma info is resized)
- the higher the input resolution the more power it needs
- the higher the output resolution the more power it needs
- the more advanced the scaling algorithm is the more power it needs (bicubic/etc. < spline/lanczos)
- more fps = more power needed (23.976hz material on a 23.976 display will use less power than 59.940hz material on a 59.940hz display)

So in your case if you play a 720p content on a 720p display madVR will need a LOT less power than playing it back in a higher resolution (which 1600x900 is). On the other hand you could playback normal SD material in 1600x900 stutterfree because the input resolution is lower, or you can use a not so advanced scaling algorithm (like bicubic).
Grmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 13:14   #3959  |  Link
iSeries

Hi,

I have a small problem using the new version of MadVR with Reclock. I only use Reclock as a WASAPI audio renderer and do not use any of its other bells and whistles and 'Slave to reference clock' is ticked, and it is locked to playing the media at its original speed. With the new version of MadVR, every time I start a movie Reclock starts with these options unticked, which means its, erm, doing what it was designed to do

I am not sure why it is starting up with these options unticked as it should remember its previous state. I'd say it was a Reclock issue - except I didn't have this issue with 0.23.

Anyone got any ideas?
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 15:30   #3960  |  Link
watchman

Hello madshi,
first of all thank you for such a great job with madVR . I think that it's going to be the best playback solution ever

I was doing some tests which render has best PQ and I found that Overlay Mixer produces far less banding than madVR (well I think that Ovelay doesn't produce any banding at all). madVR can easily beat any other render in terms of banding, but Overlay is even better.

In mpc-hc i found this tooltip about Overlay: "Generally only YUV formats are allowed, but they are presented directly without any color conversion to RGB", so maybe this can be an answer?

Also Andy o wrote few pages back: "Using Overlay and YCC I don't have to expand anywhere so I don't get banding" (reason why he is using Overlay instead of madVR).

So can help if you add option to present image without any YV12->RGB conversations (hope it's not hard work)? I'm really not an expert in field of color reproduction and I don't know how Overlay works so maybe i'm totally wrong, but it would be nice to have no banding at all with all other features providing by madVR.

Something about my configuration (in case it can have some impact to what i wrote): nvidia 9600gt (257.21), win vista, aero off (finally, thanks to exclusive FS ), samsung b650 hdtv, using dvi->hdmi.

Oh, I almost forgot. I found that if I set output to RGB or YCbCr444, PQ doesn't change (well maybe it's not weird, but some guys wrote here that it has impact to PQ, but for me it doesn't matter which output I set - tested with 3 renders and PQ wasn't changing).
watchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling