Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st August 2014, 13:52   #27121  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The answer is quite obvious:
If you have no problems, you should just leave it alone.

Additionally, this is not the place to discuss windows timings.
Old 21st August 2014, 13:57   #27122  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Yep, mVR and foobar work just fine with invariant TSC on W7SP1 and this timer was one of my main motives to upgrade so be it

This said, the guys in that thread claim that W7/W8 react differently:
Quote:
this might be a bug for the TSC+HPET sync for Windows 7, as for Windows 8+, you will get 15.625 ms(64 tick) compare to Windows 7 which is 15.6ms.

And if you set the Timer Resolution as 1ms for Windows 8+, it will also increase itself as 1.001ms too.
Maybe a good reason to bite the W8 bullet, provided that it would even matter as far as mVR/foobar are concerned.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 14:52   #27123  |  Link
Morku

Hi, I have some 16fps and 18fps footage, typical known for Super 8 or Standard 8 cine films (or very old movies).
My TV supports these modes: 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080i25, 1080p29, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60
So I inserted in "display modes". Smooth motion is on.

When I start a movie with 16/18fps, it always switch into 23.976Hz mode.
For 16fps the specs looks fine.
16fps23Hz: http://s1.directupload.net/images/140821/9bk4hwqc.png

When I start 18fps, the specs says, there is a frame repeat after every 0.85 seconds!
18fps32Hz:
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140821/3782tt9f.png

When my tv stays at 60Hz (I put 1080p18 as 'workaround' in display modes. It doesn't switch for 18fps.) there is not such problem.
18fps60Hz:
http://s14.directupload.net/images/140821/oiu5dai9.png

In my opinion the better choice.
Is that a correct behavior? Or do I something wrong? Am I wrong?

To be complete. Thats the result for 16fps60Hz:
http://s14.directupload.net/images/140821/9pp68lj7.png

Last edited by Morku; 21st August 2014 at 15:11.
Morku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:06   #27124  |  Link
Mano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Could you clarify this? Which subtitle filter(s) were you using before installing XySubFilter? If it was the MPC-HC ISR, are you sure you've disabled it after installing XySubFilter?

First make sure you've disabled MPC-HC Playback -> 'Use Built-in Subtitle Renderer'. Then load a video, right-click the video window, and check the Filters context menu to ensure that "XySubFilter" is present. The 'Use Built-in Subtitle Renderer' option is the setting for enabling and disabling the MPC-HC ISR. When the ISR is disabled, XySubFilter should be used if it is installed.

When you say this only occurs with madVR, do you mean:

Out-of-memory Crash - both madVR + MPC-HC ISR and madVR + XySubFilter?

Working - both EVR-CP + MPC-HC ISR and EVR-CP + XySubFilter?

If you are unsure, please re-test these four cases. Assuming this really does not occur with EVR-CP no matter what subtitle renderer is used, then your CPU queue setting in madVR must be at fault if you are hitting the 32-bit process limit on system ram.

madVR settings -> rendering -> general settings is where you'll find the queue settings. Resetting madVR to defaults wouldn't be a bad idea, if you haven't already tried this.

Lowering the 'CPU queue' will reduce System RAM usage when using XySubFilter, but increases the chance of dropped frames during slowdowns. Though really, the only reason any extreme amount of ram should be used at all, is if script contained extremely massive objects which extended beyond the screen size. Scripts which even come close to the 32-bit process limit at 2560x1440 with madVR and XySubFilter defaults are extremely rare, so I'm a bit surprised you are having issues.

I'd really need a sample of the script which is causing your problems, along with the resolution of your monitor. Bad come to worse, if you enable the "Render to Original Video Size" option in XySubFilter, you should never hit the 32-bit process limit on any released script (i.e. no one sane would release a script which would cause out-of-memory errors at original size). But if you are saying everything works with EVR-CP, then just lowering madVR's queues should be enough.
I remember installed it long before when i install madvr and xySubFilter is in my start menu list.

I just tried uninstall everything then update mpc, madvr and xySubFilter to the lastest and it no longer crash. So either it was bug with old version or i changed some setting wrongly. Too bad i no longer keep the old install file so i cannot check what exactly cause the crash.

the script is too large to put on pastebin. If you want it, i uploaded it to mediafire. The place where i crash is 19:00

https://www.mediafire.com/?4p8f408zwntrgfd
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:48   #27125  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Kaylith ZnT? I'm not suprised

What is you monitor resolution? 1080p or higher?

Last edited by vivan; 22nd August 2014 at 18:09.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:45   #27126  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano View Post
So either it was bug with old version or i changed some setting wrongly. Too bad i no longer keep the old install file so i cannot check what exactly cause the crash.
Thanks for the sample. The way that script used /iclip is rather inefficient in terms of memory usage and performance with VSFilter-based filters, compared to using /clip to do the same thing. So while it may drop frames in some parts if scaled to 2560x1440, it definitely doesn't look like that should cause out-of-memory crashes, even with larger than default queues and cache sizes with the latest XySubFilter build (as you seem to have found). Probably not a bug, since starting with Beta2 there were a couple changes which reduced memory usage compared to Beta1, so I'd assume it was just that.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:01   #27127  |  Link
Kevin Gilmore

Worrying Maxwell Optimus Trunc/Trepidation

Hi, does anybody know why I cannot convince Maxwell 860M to HVA decode? >

I tried the 'forceVendor' 'Nvidia' which was straightforward, and renaming the exe MPC-HC file.
While that 'alerted' or 'woke up' the gpu up and ram is used, the VPU section, GCardHW, etc is not triggered. It seems I've crossed a threshold, but the Maxwell gpu is playing stupidly hard to get. [NOTE: THIS COULD BE VERY PROBLEMATIC FOR FUTURE YOUTUBE VIDEOS / SUPPORT e.g. I did NOT purchase an 860M to perpetually watch/decode 4k on my yeasty hd 4600]

@Nekromantic What registry strings were entered to enable the Maxwell mobile chips/what are the correct registry stings?
How on earth WERE you Triumphant? 'custom registry hack? Am I to understand it's only a nominal triumph as madVR Chroma upscaling + Chroma image doubling is MAxwell Hardware video accelerated - pertaining to madVR, as well?

Thanks to all/any who know of a fix; I bet there are at least a few others out there who've this question/ harbor similar disconcertions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
I just got a new laptop running Windows 8.1 and on latest Nvidia GTX860M drivers.
I set up LAV video to use software render and installed MadVR. When running on Intel card MPC HC gets very high 150ms render time with and without hardware rendering.
This is when using NNED13 for chroma upscale.
I can use Jinc 3 taps fine.

I should be able to use NND13 on a i7 laptop with 860m.

Last edited by Kevin Gilmore; 23rd August 2014 at 19:13. Reason: Thanks Vivian / AnimeViewer; Sounds Like I need to try LAV filter; will try later
Kevin Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:32   #27128  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gilmore View Post
the VPU section, etc is not triggered.
It has nothing to do with madVR, it's the decoder.

If you want to use H/W decoder - then you should select DXVA or nVidia CUVID decoders in Lav Video Decoder settings. If you have problems with them - welcome to http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:40   #27129  |  Link
Mano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Kaylith ZnT? I'm not suprised

What is you monitor resolution? 1080p or higher?
yep 2560x1440 27" dell

Last edited by Mano; 23rd August 2014 at 14:10.
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:43   #27130  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

directX problem 800m optimus gpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gilmore View Post
Hi, does anybody know why I cannot get Optimus for/on Maxwell 860M to run?

I tried the 'forceVendor' 'Nvidia' which was straightforward, and renaming the exe MPC-HC file.

How can one What registry strings were entered to enable the Maxwell mobile chips/what are the correct registry stings?
As vivian said madshi doesn't believe it is a madVR issue.

Other 860m Optimus users have stated that they've only got video to playback with the Nvidia gpu forced in MPC-HC if they went into MPC Options -> Output and set DirectShow Video to "system default" and the RealMedia Video and QuickTime video to Video Mixing Renderer 7. That both effective disables madVR and DirectX9 features. madshi has recommended people reinstall the DirectX 9 runtime files, but last I heard no one has had success getting the runtime to reinstall.

As far as madVR adding the registry key for the 860m: you'll need to have madVR set as the DirectShow Video output in MPC Options, and have one of the NNEDI3 options selected. That will get your key added, but it will not do anything to get the 860m to run properly.

You could make a separate thread elsewhere in the software players forum to see if any 860m users have found a workaround, but unfortunately right now a solution may be necessary from Microsoft and/or Nvidia's end. Given Nvidia's history when it comes to fixing madVR/MPC/non-game related bugs there may never be a fix.

Some people believe it is related to the following:
Code:
The following code snippet caused the error:

VMR9NormalizedRect r1 = new VMR9NormalizedRect(0, 0, 0.5f, 1);
VMR9NormalizedRect r2 = new VMR9NormalizedRect(0.5f, 0, 1, 1);
hr = (HRESULT)mix.SetOutputRect(0, ref r1);
hr = (HRESULT)mix.SetOutputRect(1, ref r2);

If a VMR9NormalizedRect gets initialized with any parameters apart from 0, 0, 1, 1 it will only display a black screen.
I've also read that on ZoomPlayer people were able to get around the VRM9 issue by selecting "Enable YUV mixing on all VMR Video Renderers (Less CPU overhead on some configurations)". I'm not sure if there is a similar setting in MPC/LAV/madVR that might do the same. (Edit: looks like YUV Mixing may already be checked by default in the directshow video VMR settings area in MPC, so that may not be a fix in this case).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 23rd August 2014 at 14:57. Reason: fixed sentence structure
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 09:31   #27131  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Just a tip.. Don't bother with nnedi on 720 content on a 1080 screen. Completely pointless from the tests I did. I use Jinc 3 exclusively for up scaling above 720 and also for further up scaling after nnedi (although lanczos is another great alternative) Of course both with AR enabled.
I couldn't disagree more. For 720p->1080p scaling, NNEDI3 is the only upscaler that does not produce jagged lines and aliasing which is especially noticeable with text. The overall picture is also sharper than Jinc with less artifacts. This is on a 60" tv. YMMV.

I absolutely love the way NNEDI3 makes 720p content look. On a good source the difference between the 720p encode and 1080p source can be difficult to distinguish at times.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 10:19   #27132  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I couldn't disagree more. For 720p->1080p scaling, NNEDI3 is the only upscaler that does not produce jagged lines and aliasing which is especially noticeable with text. The overall picture is also sharper than Jinc with less artifacts. This is on a 60" tv. YMMV.
Jagged lines? Ain't no jagged lines with Jinc man, it's like the nicest upscaler to edges there is.

NNEDI gives great results on text? Yeah I'd agree with you there, so if you want to look at nice sharp NNEDI edges on text then yeah go crank it up, what a serious waste of resources though.

I still stand behind what I said, it does almost nothing on actual footage. It would seem you just lose most of the benefits of NNEDI by downscaling the image down to 1080. (I tested on 1920x1200 as well) There may be the odd scene where NNEDI adds something worthwhile to 720 content but I have yet to find a scene where it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I absolutely love the way NNEDI3 makes 720p content look.
Feel free to post a screenshot that proves it's worth enabling. I generally don't watch the credits roll enough to warrant enabling NNEDI on anything 720 or higher not to mention how taxing it is on the GPU for such an insignificant overall PQ improvement.

Last edited by ryrynz; 25th August 2014 at 10:21.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 11:09   #27133  |  Link
Neet009

I found something that are concered with madTPG and ArgyllCMS. When using dispcal.exe and madTPG to calibration the monitor,the madVR settings "how many video frames shall be presented in advace"could not set more than 10, otherwise it will show the error message with dispcal.exe and finish the work. Windowed mode and FSE mode have the same issue. It works well when setting <= 10.

Is it a bug?

madVR:v0.87.10
ArgyllCMS:1.6.3
graphic card:750Ti
meter:colormunki design

Last edited by Neet009; 25th August 2014 at 11:16.
Neet009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 15:47   #27134  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Jagged lines? Ain't no jagged lines with Jinc man, it's like the nicest upscaler to edges there is.
Nope.

Jinc3 vs. NNEDI3

Edit: 2nd images too big as this forum doesn't auto re-size to width.
http://abload.de/img/mn-full55c1a.jpg http://abload.de/img/nnedi3-fullvdfok.jpg
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 21:57   #27135  |  Link
fairchild

So if you watch alot of gaming footage with alot of HUD's and text then yes, there is a clear advantage to NNEDI3 even for 720p-1080p. But thankfully I don't do that and stick to movies and tv shows. (guess it could be good for watching ESPN but also don't do that either, I just watch it live through my cable box so no need to upscale it with MadVR and my HTPC.)
Old 26th August 2014, 01:09   #27136  |  Link
Niyawa

I'd like to ask a quick question (which my search results didn't get me anything).

When using MPC-HC, by checking the "Statistics" while playing a video with madVR, the specified framerate for 23.976 will be 60, yet with EVR-CP it will be 23.976 instead. It seems that madVR likes to render frames that would otherwise just be repeated instead. Is there a reasoning behind this?

Last edited by Niyawa; 26th August 2014 at 01:11.
Niyawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 01:38   #27137  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
I'd like to ask a quick question (which my search results didn't get me anything).

When using MPC-HC, by checking the "Statistics" while playing a video with madVR, the specified framerate for 23.976 will be 60, yet with EVR-CP it will be 23.976 instead. It seems that madVR likes to render frames that would otherwise just be repeated instead. Is there a reasoning behind this?
IIRC, it has to do with displaying frames at a certain time. That is: you can send 24 frames to the GPU per second and let it decide when to double or madVR can do it instead and send the GPU 60fps. Probably necessary for SmoothMotion.

the old behavior can be enabled with the old path(disabling "present several frames in advance"). Be warned that some features can/will break if you do this.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 04:06   #27138  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post

Does the screen you're watching on support 23hz (or 24hz) as a refresh rate, and do you have that entered in madVR display modes in the list all display modes madVR may switch to: ?

I have statistics displaying on a tv that supports both frame rates, it has both in the list, and it is showing a frame reading of 23.90 and up (it slowly ticks up as the 23.976 video plays, so it would probably get to 23.97 if I leave it running).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 26th August 2014 at 04:20.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 04:52   #27139  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
Be warned that some features can/will break if you do this.
This is false. No features can/will 'break' if you disable Present in Advance.

In any case, when Present in Advance is enabled madVR presents a frame every vsync interval. If disabled, madVR presents a frame every movie framerate interval (if smooth motion disabled). This is why MPC-HC statistics may show a discrepancy if you have some of these settings enabled and use higher refresh rates than the video.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 06:31   #27140  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
This is false. No features can/will 'break' if you disable Present in Advance.
Try native DXVA in FSE mode without it.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling