Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 15th March 2008, 01:14   #3841  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usa1955 View Post
Is it possible with or with help of eAC3to to convert "WMA 6ch" to some AC3 or DTS stream?
eac3to can do the wav to ac3/dts part, but you need another program to decode wma to wav (don't know which).
Old 15th March 2008, 11:35   #3842  |  Link
Sephiroth0000

T H A N K Y O U ! ! Everyone for your comments! Always get an answer here
Old 15th March 2008, 15:58   #3843  |  Link
rickardk

"No Country For Old Men" suffers from the same problem as "Sum Of All Fear" (and "Enron - The Smartest Guy In The Room" did before forced 24p).

Last edited by rickardk; 15th March 2008 at 16:11.
Old 15th March 2008, 17:29   #3844  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

what problem is it? ive already remuxed and watched this one (not with 2.28-2.30 though), but havent encountered any problems afaik.
Old 15th March 2008, 18:28   #3845  |  Link
rickardk

Used latest eac3to to mux H264 and to create a FLAC track from the LPCM track.

They play perfect on their own. But when muxed together with mkvmerge the resulting mkv will not start to play when using ffdshow (libav) to decode flac.

If you skip/fast forward a second or two the movie will start and play to the end without problems.

(Not sure this is a eac3to bug/problem. It might be the splitter, mkvmerge or ffdshow (libav))

Last edited by rickardk; 15th March 2008 at 18:31.
Old 15th March 2008, 19:42   #3846  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I had no problems with madflac, maybe try this.
Old 15th March 2008, 22:38   #3847  |  Link
BLKMGK

Why FLAC over AC3? I have used both and cannot hear a difference although I know that AC3 is lossy. Size difference is huge however. AC3 may come in at around 700megs vs 1.5Gig for a FLAC track. Am I missing something significant using AC3? I simply use the -libav switch to do this too, works well.
Old 15th March 2008, 23:31   #3848  |  Link
BlackJack1

Can I make flac or dts audio with no DRC if I've got BD rip on HDD? What kind of string must I use?
Thx in advance...
Old 16th March 2008, 00:42   #3849  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

mostly you should be able to hear a difference, especially the more your sound system goes into the direction of high-end. so even if you dont have that yet, then you are on the save side for the future.
Old 16th March 2008, 01:36   #3850  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
Can I make flac or dts audio with no DRC if I've got BD rip on HDD? What kind of string must I use?
Thx in advance...
Yes. Make sure you don't use -sonic for dd+ and you 'll be fine.

Almost all of the questions you ask have been answered in the 1st post. Reading it, will be a great benefit for you.
Old 16th March 2008, 11:54   #3851  |  Link
BlackJack1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post

Almost all of the questions you ask have been answered in the 1st post. Reading it, will be a great benefit for you.
Thank you for answer.
Unfortunately 1st post include only few examples and only switches. Good idea to publish some tutorial or extended help file with FAQ

Anyway thank you very much one more time for great application
Old 16th March 2008, 13:12   #3852  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyqgpower View Post
I encountered a strange problem in a HDDVD title with TrueHD audio : Vexille - 2077

there are two EVO files for main movie: L0_MainMovie.EVO and L1_MainMovie.EVO

using eac3to to demux the first EVO, encode thd to flac, everything went fine.

but when encoding the thd file from the second EVO, eac3to says:
TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 48khz
[libav] No restart header present in substream 0.
The libav decoder reported an error while decoding.
Does this complaint occur directly at the very start of the process or does processing start ok and the complaint appears after a while somewhere in the middle of the processing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
Training Day

Do you know good sharpening filter I can use?
I need to do something with colors on this movie because they are look washed out.
BTW source playing using PowerDVD looks very good.... mayby ffdshow codecs and wrong renderer i used in KMPlayer...?
If the source looks very good in PowerDVD and the MKV just has washed out colors then there's most probably something wrong in your MKV playback configuration. E.g. if your decoder/renderer puts out video levels but your display expects PC levels you'll get washed out colors.

This is not the right thread to discuss media player / display setup questions, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
Used latest eac3to to mux H264 and to create a FLAC track from the LPCM track.

They play perfect on their own. But when muxed together with mkvmerge the resulting mkv will not start to play when using ffdshow (libav) to decode flac.

If you skip/fast forward a second or two the movie will start and play to the end without problems.

(Not sure this is a eac3to bug/problem. It might be the splitter, mkvmerge or ffdshow (libav))
Ok, we have 2 decoders. The mkv plays fine with one but not so well with the other one. I think this is a case where it would make sense to test more decoders. This might help finding out where the problem is located. IIRC there are 3 more flac decoders out there, namely: Illuminable (or something like that), CoreFlac and the DCBass Source filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post
Why FLAC over AC3? I have used both and cannot hear a difference although I know that AC3 is lossy. Size difference is huge however. AC3 may come in at around 700megs vs 1.5Gig for a FLAC track. Am I missing something significant using AC3?
This is a difficult topic. It's somewhat similar to the question whether high bitrate video looks noticably better than low bitrate video. It depends on the source material. It depends on how good your devices/speakers are. It depends on how good your ears are. It depends on how critical you are. It depends on a lot of things. One thing is for sure: The AC3 track cannot sound better than the FLAC track.
Old 16th March 2008, 14:03   #3853  |  Link
The1n

Im trying to convert a dts-hd track to lpcm has anyone done this. eac3to completes the job but trouble is that when i try to mux the output with tsmuxer it doesnt recognise the lpcm file.

commandline i used : eac3to input.dtshd output.pcm -big -16

The1n
Old 16th March 2008, 15:48   #3854  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post

There WAS an excellent page on wikipedia that thoroughly explained much of what eac3to can do and how to use it's switches. Sadly it looks liek it might have passed out of the cache but I find a somewhat lesser version on Wikibooks . I thought I had the Wikipedia page saved here but cannot find and searches mostly yield me talking about it elsewhere - it was pretty good!

Actually, nautilus it looks like YOU were the author - got a copy anywhere? It's not in this thread is it?
Old 16th March 2008, 16:32   #3855  |  Link
nautilus7

OK, i got busted...

There is a page written mostly by me (bendurdunthat has made some contribution too), but is not at all ready because i was very busy during the last weeks. Madshi is aware of this, but he was busy too, to make any additions or suggestions.

The link you posted above is only a part of it. Here is the complete page. It's a copy of the wikipedia page, because wikipedia didn't allow manuals.

How to use (with lots of examples) and FAQ sections are almost done, therefore if you like you can read them.

Last edited by nautilus7; 16th March 2008 at 17:25.
Old 16th March 2008, 17:08   #3856  |  Link
BLKMGK

I am VERY happy to hear that what was put on Wikipedia wasn't lost. I read their comments and was actually angry since I didn't feel that it was "selling" or spamming. The plumbing place maybe

I really did find the page on Wikipedia helpful, I pulled it from Google Cache. eac3to made my conversions of HD-DVD really easy to do, in fact I just ordered another $130 worth of new HD-DVD and $60 on eBay this morning it's so easy. Without that page and some help from others I'd be beating my head against the wall still - very valuable. I can hardly wait for BD to be so easy. <sigh> Bitter? you betcha'!
Old 16th March 2008, 18:41   #3857  |  Link
dchard

Questions

Hi, i have a few questions about decoding/recoding of audio traks, working on detailed guides in this article, so I need viable info <-- i think I'am at the right place

1. Just the LPCM has different channel order, the other formats not (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD)?

2. If I decode any format of 1. to 6 mono wavs, and want to reencode to Ac3, then what options should I set on the below panel (Sonic standalone prof. ac3 encoder)?:

Anyway: if anyone know a better ac3 encoder, then let me know.

3. If I decode any format of 1. to 6 mono wavs, and want to reencode to DTS, then should I set "Attenuate rear channles 3db" in Surcode, or not?

4. If an audio track is 16bit originally, but I use "-down16 " on it, this should degrade audio quality or not?

Thank you!

Dchard

Last edited by dchard; 16th March 2008 at 18:58.
Old 16th March 2008, 20:34   #3858  |  Link
tebasuna51

@dchard
1) All formats can have different channel order internally. The decoder/transcoder must do the mapping in transparent mode to the user.

2) Select only the bitrate (at least 448 for 5.1), lets the defaults values in image, but uncheck all checkboxes (CopyRight, Original, LFE lowpass, Surround 90 phase shift)

3) Nope.

4) Nope also.
Old 16th March 2008, 22:00   #3859  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

tebasuna51 is right, of course. Just one little addition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchard
Just the LPCM has different channel order, the other formats not (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD)?
When using eac3to for decoding the mentioned formats, eac3to will automatically remap all channels to the same (WAV) order. This way you don't need to worry about channel mapping order. However, auto channel remapping for LPCM is only done if you demux the LPCM track correctly. At this point in time I'd recommend to use xport for LPCM demuxing.
Old 16th March 2008, 22:03   #3860  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by act.anon View Post
I have another messy evo that seems to stump eac3to:

Error occurs mid-file, so here is the full file:
link (rename to .evo)
This looks like a bad rip to me. Can you please rerip the disc and try again?
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to