Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th September 2015, 16:47   #1  |  Link
AFord

Newbie Question re: Simple AVI codec Task

Hi All, I read the above Sticky regarding External Encoders, but I am quite lost on what *I Think* is a very simple use of VirtualDub (1.10.4, which I downloaded yesterday)

Warning: I cannot remember the last time I used this tool, but I never could deal with command line concepts.

In an nutshell: I am using a 3D Compositing software that Outputs Uncompressed AVI format, with or without Sound.
Some outputs will be "RGBA" (to include Alpha data), others may be "RGB" only. In both cases, the outputs may or may not
include Audio.

The reason I am looking for help with VirtualDub: I will need to encode my Uncompressed outputs to AVI, using a particular
third-party codec which I have already installed on my Win7Pro x64 workstation.

I have been able to to "re-encode" using this codec, using my
editing program-- but there is a limitation: it cannot export
with original Alpha intact.*

I believe the codec will support including Alphas, and that it is my edit software that cannot handle the Alphas. (it is not something it would normally do, anyway).

So what i need: To use VirtualDub to encode to this third party codec, uing one of the 4 different bitrates/colorspace settings it offers. (I see these choices available in my edit software's Custom export setting).

Plus I gather I may need to prepare different "Edit External Encoder" Command Arguments, depending on the presence
of Audio and/or Alphas in my original Uncompressed AVI files.

That's the gist of it. I truly cannot wrap my head around the necessary Commands, or even the difference between the
"Encoder Sets" tab and the "Encoder" tab, within the "Configure External Encoders" box.

Following the online directions, I did however, mange to ADD
n Encoder Profile, use EDIT to then locate the codec in question: C:\Program Files\Video Codec\unins000.exe

Beyond that, I am really stumped for what commands arguments to type- I'm not even sure if I should only use
Multiplexer, or use both that and Video.

Any simple suggestions or sample command arguments will help me tremendously. I can say that I would be so happy
to just be started in the right direction.

In my edit program's export menu, I have seen that this codec offers a 424 or 444 choice, as well as a quality slider from 100
to 80 or below.

When I use "MediaInfo program" to examine a Bars and Tone 444 100 (top) quality file that I exported from my edit program, I see the following info:

Format AVI
Overall bitrate: 47.1 Mbps

-VIDEO
ID:0
Bit rate: 45.6 mbps
Width: 1920 pixels
Height: 1080 pixels
Display Aspect ratio: 16:9
Frame Rate: 29.970 fps
Bits/(Pixel&Frame): 0.733
Stream Size: 32.6 MiB (97%)
Title: V

-AUDIO

Format PCM
Format settings: Endianness Little
Format settins: Sign: signed
Codec ID: 1
Bit rate mode: Constant
Bit rate: 1.56 Kbps
Sampling rate: 48.0 Khz
Bit Depth: 16 bits
Stream size: 1.10 MiB (3%)
Alignment: Aligned on interleaves
Interleave duration: 2002 ms (60.00 video frames)
Title: A

I hope that info helps provide necessary info for acceptable command arguments.

I will be quite happy if I can get an exact copy of original file specs, but with new codec specs applied.

THANKS!!! for any help you may offer, including copy/paste-able text, other links, or other basic tips.

best regards,
AFord.

Last edited by AFord; 19th September 2015 at 17:21.
AFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 17:01   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

VirtualDub's "external encoder" feature is designed for YUV, not for anything with alpha. It is there to pipe to command-line encoders like x264.exe or ffmpeg.exe - does your encoder even offer such an option? Many "professional" codecs are VfW only. I suggest you mention which format exactly you are planning to encode to, maybe it is supported by ffmpeg.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 17:34   #3  |  Link
AFord

I thank you, sneaker. You just saved me a boatload of time!
I'll look elsewhere. trying to cross convert to AVI.

thanks, anyway, all.
Old 19th September 2015, 17:53   #4  |  Link
poisondeathray

Does your 3rd party codec appear in the compression menu in vdub (video=>compression) ? If it's VFW x86 it should appear in x86 vdub. If it's VFW x64, it should appear in x64 vdub (and sometimes even x86 vdub)

If you can be more specific about the programs and codec being used, it might help

Does your compositing program support separate alpha channel? Because that would be a possible workaround / workflow
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 20:41   #5  |  Link
AFord

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I must get back to this request another time-- I was having trouble getting my reply posts online through the TOKEN Q&A that must be answered correctly.

I'll need to return here, later, with more info you require.

Thanks for generously offering support.
Old 19th September 2015, 21:00   #6  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFord View Post
Following the online directions, I did however, mange to ADD
n Encoder Profile, use EDIT to then locate the codec in question: C:\Program Files\Video Codec\unins000.exe
Who gave you those directions - 4chan?
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 23:55   #7  |  Link
AFord

My apologies, RaffRiff! I followed something but whatever I did there, it was merely intuitive, so that was a mis-statement on my part. I probably was on the wrong path.

I have much respect for what you all do and the precision involved and generosity of teaching it to all the code-challenged
persons like myself.

I'm going to go off and deal with some old software and see how I do.

Best Regards,
AF