Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 26th September 2017, 20:17   #301  |  Link
djcj

Do you have a copy of the full source code? I've only downloaded the binary.

edit:

Maybe you should use something like if (!gMKVHelper.IsOnWindows) in case someone is using this on another OS that is not Windows or Linux.

Last edited by djcj; 26th September 2017 at 20:41.
djcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 09:48   #302  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

SourceForge is back online, so I commited the change to trunk and also released v2.0.0b with the aforementioned fix.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmk...0b.7z/download

Hope this solves the problems on Linux!

PS.
In mono, the only reported OSes are Windows, Linux and Mac. Since no one has stepped up to test it on Mac and I don't have access to a Mac, gMKVExtractGUI officially supports Windows and Linux!
gpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 11:06   #303  |  Link
djcj

Thanks, now it doesn't crash.
Old 27th September 2017, 11:13   #304  |  Link
hello_hello

gpower2,
Thanks for the new version.

However.... gMKVExtractGUI v2.0 and 2.0b seem to be broken in respect to the Windows Explorer Right Click/SendTo menu. It results in a popup message saying an error has occurred (at least on XP). After closing the error message, gMKVExtractGUI opens but without opening the files.

Right clicking on a stream in the list of files/streams doesn't actually select it. As an example, if you open two MKVs and the first MKV is highlighted in the list of files, right clicking on the second MKV and selecting "remove selected input file" removes the first file and not the second, because the second wasn't selected by right clicking on it.

When right clicking to check or uncheck tracks, the track count seems counter-intuitive to me. If you have five MKVs open with an audio stream each and check them all, the right click menu shows (5/5) next to "check audio tracks" but (0/5) next to "uncheck audio tracks". To me it'd make more sense if the both displayed the number of currently checked tracks rather than what's checked in one instance and what's unchecked in the other.... because I'm easily confused.

I'm not sure if it's by design or not, but dragging and dropping files is a "one chance" proposition. You can right click to "add files", then right click again to add some more, whereas dragging and dropping replaces the current files rather than adding more to the list.

While it's nice having a right click menu to select all tracks of a certain type etc, I think it'd be handy to have buttons for each type of track on the main GUI somewhere so all video or all audio streams etc could be selected with a single click.

Thanks again.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 15:18   #305  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
gpower2,
Thanks for the new version.

However.... gMKVExtractGUI v2.0 and 2.0b seem to be broken in respect to the Windows Explorer Right Click/SendTo menu. It results in a popup message saying an error has occurred (at least on XP). After closing the error message, gMKVExtractGUI opens but without opening the files.
I can confirm the same behaviour with Windows 10 64-bit. Here's the error message: -

Cheers
Old 27th September 2017, 15:31   #306  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcj View Post
Thanks, now it doesn't crash.
Thanks for the confirmation!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I can confirm the same behaviour with Windows 10 64-bit. Here's the error message: -

Cheers
Definetely a bug, I will fix it first thing!

Quote:
Right clicking on a stream in the list of files/streams doesn't actually select it. As an example, if you open two MKVs and the first MKV is highlighted in the list of files, right clicking on the second MKV and selecting "remove selected input file" removes the first file and not the second, because the second wasn't selected by right clicking on it.
Ah, you can't believe the quirks the TreeView control has in .NET...
I'll try to make right click to change the selected node like the left click.

Quote:
When right clicking to check or uncheck tracks, the track count seems counter-intuitive to me. If you have five MKVs open with an audio stream each and check them all, the right click menu shows (5/5) next to "check audio tracks" but (0/5) next to "uncheck audio tracks". To me it'd make more sense if the both displayed the number of currently checked tracks rather than what's checked in one instance and what's unchecked in the other.... because I'm easily confused.
Why repeat the same information? I think this is more a matter of getting used to the information shown.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's by design or not, but dragging and dropping files is a "one chance" proposition. You can right click to "add files", then right click again to add some more, whereas dragging and dropping replaces the current files rather than adding more to the list.
I was torn about that. At first I made drag and drop to append files, but after I added the "Add Input File(s)..." option in the context menu, I thought that it was better to just clear and add files on drag and drop.
I guess I could a question to the user, asking what she/he wants to do.

Quote:
While it's nice having a right click menu to select all tracks of a certain type etc, I think it'd be handy to have buttons for each type of track on the main GUI somewhere so all video or all audio streams etc could be selected with a single click.
That's definetely a no-no for me!
I think that the UI is already cluttered enough and adding more buttons to it would be too much.
Old 28th September 2017, 08:42   #307  |  Link
hello_hello

For the record, I didn't post details of the error message because on XP, there aren't any.
Where it says "Error setting TreeNode state" in SeeMoreDigital's screenshot it simply says "One or more errors occurred" on XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpower2 View Post
Why repeat the same information? I think this is more a matter of getting used to the information shown.
It's currently repeating the same information anyway, only doing it in a different way.
If the "check tracks" menu says two out of five tracks are checked, it's the same as three out of five tracks being unchecked, which is what the "uncheck tracks" menu would say.

Maybe it's just my brain, but it's determined "Uncheck all tracks (3/5)" must mean there's currently three tracks checked, not two, because having the same information displayed in a different way is counter-intuitive to me.

Quote:
I was torn about that. At first I made drag and drop to append files, but after I added the "Add Input File(s)..." option in the context menu, I thought that it was better to just clear and add files on drag and drop.
I guess I could a question to the user, asking what she/he wants to do.
That seems like a perfect opportunity for a user preference.
As a user though, I think it'd be better if drag and drop appended files, because if you don't want them appended it's easy enough to clear the list of files first.

Quote:
That's definetely a no-no for me!
I think that the UI is already cluttered enough and adding more buttons to it would be too much.
I agree. I've always thought the "MKVToolNix Directory" area at the top was a waste of space.
If it's about usability though, the number of times I'd click on a button to select all the audio streams compared to the number of times I'd change the location of MKVToolNix would easily be in the vicinity of 100,000:1.

Anyway, thanks for the hard work. It's appreciated.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th September 2017 at 08:46.
Old 30th September 2017, 18:57   #308  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

New version 2.1.0 is out and it fixes some bugs that came along the v2.0.0.

Download link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmk....0.7z/download

Changelog:
  1. Fix Linux issues
  2. Fix adding files from command line
  3. Add support for passing directories from command line
  4. Make right click to change selection in the TreeView

Enjoy people!
Old 30th September 2017, 22:34   #309  |  Link
ismail0100

Thank u I am using this and very good
ismail0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 03:59   #310  |  Link
djcj

This may be a little pedantic but can you put a license/unlicense/readme file to your source tree or add a header to your source files to make it more clear that your project is released into the Public Domain?
Old 1st October 2017, 09:13   #311  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismail0100 View Post
Thank u I am using this and very good
Happy to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcj View Post
This may be a little pedantic but can you put a license/unlicense/readme file to your source tree or add a header to your source files to make it more clear that your project is released into the Public Domain?
Could you point me to an example file?
Old 9th October 2017, 07:11   #312  |  Link
dissory

Thanks for the great program!

Using the latest version, I noticed choosing the folder to extract to doesn't work. Even if you choose a different folder it always extracts to the source folder.
dissory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 09:21   #313  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Yes, the output folder is a bit tricky at this time. You have to check the "Lock" option when you don't want to extract to the source folder.
Old 9th October 2017, 20:02   #314  |  Link
Telion

It's worth to just rename the "Lock" checkbox to "Use source folder" and reverse its meaning, so that the greyed out path box would indeed mean it's not relevant while the checkbox is on. The current way is non-intuitive and non-standard for a regular windows UI control.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 15:35   #315  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
It's worth to just rename the "Lock" checkbox to "Use source folder" and reverse its meaning, so that the greyed out path box would indeed mean it's not relevant while the checkbox is on. The current way is non-intuitive and non-standard for a regular windows UI control.
That's actually a great idea! I was still hanging on the previous design but something just didn't seem right...
I'll see to it ASAP!
Old 11th October 2017, 01:01   #316  |  Link
hello_hello

gpower2,

Is there something peculiar about eac3 I don't understand?
gMKVExtractGUI extracts it with an mka extension. Shouldn't it have an eac3 extension?

I noticed MKVCleaver extracts it with an "undefined" extension, which seems like a bit of a co-incidence in that both programs appear to be getting it wrong, but I thought I'd ask about it here first. MeGUI uses MKVExtract to extract it as eac3.

Thanks.
Old 11th October 2017, 06:51   #317  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
gpower2,

Is there something peculiar about eac3 I don't understand?
gMKVExtractGUI extracts it with an mka extension. Shouldn't it have an eac3 extension?

I noticed MKVCleaver extracts it with an "undefined" extension, which seems like a bit of a co-incidence in that both programs appear to be getting it wrong, but I thought I'd ask about it here first. MeGUI uses MKVExtract to extract it as eac3.

Thanks.
After checking the code which decides the output file's extension, I realized that I don't have a Codec_ID for EAC3. If you post the CODEC_ID reported I could add another case for eac3.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11th October 2017, 08:10   #318  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Note the following:
  1. The Matroska CodecID for AC-3 is A_AC3, for E-AC-3 it's A_EAC3.
  2. mkvmerge up to and including v16 identified both types as "AC-3/E-AC-3".
  3. mkvmerge after v16 now identifies AC-3 as "AC-3" and E-AC-3 as "E-AC-3".

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 15:51   #319  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

upcoming mkvextract command line interface changes

Hey,

FYI. I've just pushed a major change in how mkvextract's command line interface works. In short: you can now use all modes (tracks, timestamps, cues, tags, chapters…) at the same time, but the order of the arguments had to be changed.

Here's the corresponding entry from NEWS.md:

Quote:
* mkvextract' command line interface has been changed to allow extraction of
multiple items at the same time. The first argument must now be the source
file's name. All following arguments either set the mode (e.g. `tracks`) or
specify what to extract in the currently active mode.

Those items that were written to the standard output (chapters, tags and cue
sheets) are now always written to files instead. Therefore the respective
modes require an output file name.

For example, extracting two tracks, the chapters and the tags can be done
with the following command:

`mkvextract input.mkv tracks 0:video.h265 1:audio.aac chapters chapters.xml tags tags.xml`

The old interface (specifying the mode first and the source file name
second) remains working and supported. However, it is now deprecated and
will be removed at the end of 2018.
This should make life easier for GUIs as they don't have to run mkvextrat multiple times anymore.

As stated in the NEWS entry the old interface is still available and should still work (if it doesn't, please drop me a line; that would be unintentional but not surprising given how invasive those changes were). However, the old interface will be removed, even though only at the end of 2018, therefore changing the GUIs is probably a must.

If you want to give it a spin right now, you can use the latest pre-builds for Windows.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 15:56   #320  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Thanks for the heads up Mosu!
I'll definitely look into it first thing!

Tags
extractor, gmkvextractgui, matroska, mkv, mkv extract, mkvextract, mkvextractgui