Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 3rd June 2002, 18:51   #1  |  Link
Ian4355

system hangs - don't know why

Trying to do just the first episode of BuffyTVS but after starting the rip, everything seems OK but after about 10 minutes the whole system hangs and I have re-start (so I don't even have an error log thing). What info do you need to help and I'll try to supply it - but I'm not a techie so ...
Old 17th July 2002, 08:12   #2  |  Link
JReiginsei

Well we need to know a little bit about your computer. How fast is it, type of processor, operating system, etc. Is it store buoght or did you have it custom built. If its store bought then you should get it checked if its still under warranty. If you built it or someone built it then try to get someone who is knowledgable in computers to troubleshoot it. If you have to do it yourself, we need to know a few things: 1.) Are you overclocking any of your components, 2.) Have you changed any settings in your bios that favor performance vs. stability, 3.) Is your computer's cooling adequate. In the case of overclocking, set your components back to their defaults. If you have performance settings in your bios like faster ram timings, lower them. Do a search for motherboard monitor on the Web so you can find out the temperature of your cpu and case. Those are the only things I can think of right now. Oh yea, it wouldn't hurt to make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware...
Old 1st August 2002, 02:43   #3  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

You say you're not a techie, so I guess you don't overclock your pc?
The most possible problem is still overheating, because you probably never cared about the temperatures of your components. However, when you want to do video encoding, you should. Decent case cooling and good processor cooling is crucial for system stability, especially for Athlons which get extremely hot.

Another problem could be bad RAM and/or a not so good mainboard - things that often come with readymade systems.

What you can do to test your overall system stability and the cpu- and case-heat is to download motherboard monitor to check the temperatures: http://mbm.livewiredev.com
and download Prime95, install it and run the "torture test". Run this test for at least two or three hours - if it doesn't report errors during that time and the temperatures stay ok, it's not a heat/stability problem and you can forget all I wrote