Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 10th June 2008, 22:43   #1  |  Link
tizank tha bizank

DVCPRO HD for CineVision

Hey there, i just captured some 720p 59.94 frame footage, at the DVCPRO HD codec on Final cut. i have an 80gb file, but when i go put it in CineVision, it says i can't convert that file.

Is there any way to use that codec in CineVision?

Am i going to have to capture the footage uncompressed in order to use it in CineVision? That is difficult as we're talking 90 GB versus what could be close to 900GB in terms of capture space, not to mention a need for a Raid for the uncompressed.

Should i just convert the captured DVCPRO HD .mov quicktime file to another codec, and then bring it into CineVision.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is my 1st attempt at HD footage and blu-Ray so any guidance and assistance would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
tizank tha bizank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 00:23   #2  |  Link
Eric69

I had the same issue. I guess windows doesn't support DVCProHD. Now I convert to 10bit uncompressed if its 1080 and 8bit uncompressed if its 720p. Like you said - HUGE files!
Eric69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 07:05   #3  |  Link
guada2

Hello izank tha bizank,

- and Adobe pro CS3?
- Have you try the demo of RAYLIGHT (a little plug in)
- or HD file Converter Pro

Bye.
guada2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 14:22   #4  |  Link
tizank tha bizank

DVCPRO HD / Cinevision

I have tried the trial version of RayLight, and while that lets me open the file on the PC, CineVision still does not accept the file for Blu-Ray encoding.

Hey Eric69, so i am assuming you have a real fast RAID set up to capture uncompressed at those file sizes? And do you use CineVision?
Old 11th June 2008, 21:57   #5  |  Link
guada2

@tizank tha bizank
- Why Cinevision?
- Have you tried others software?
Old 12th June 2008, 00:10   #6  |  Link
Eric69

Quote:
Hey Eric69, so i am assuming you have a real fast RAID set up to capture uncompressed at those file sizes? And do you use CineVision?
I've used Cinevision in the past but now use Main Concepts
Reference. I don't use a fast RAID but have about 2T of HDD space. Just export to uncompressed QT and bring this into Cinevision.
Old 12th June 2008, 18:23   #7  |  Link
guada2

@Eric69,
Quote:
2T of HDD space
wow..

and how many time you take to encode a Bluray HD?
Old 12th June 2008, 21:13   #8  |  Link
Eric69

A terabyte is only about $250 (US) these days. For 2 hours film it take about 8 hours of encoding time. Main Concepts take about 2x that.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:14   #9  |  Link
tizank tha bizank

Main Concept

I just downloaded the trial of Reference so i will give that a try. i was using CineVision because i had heard some good things about it, and figured that was one of my best bets for Blu-Ray encodes.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:59   #10  |  Link
Eric69

The rumor is that Main Concepts is the same AVC encoding engine as Cinevision. I don't know if thats true but it sounds like Sonic who is notorious for licensing other's hard work and passing it on as their own - at a much higher price. Cinevision has segment encoding which is nice. But the only reason I use Reference is because its the only one I can afford.

Did your 8bit conversion work in Cinevision?

Last edited by Eric69; 13th June 2008 at 02:02.
Old 13th June 2008, 05:17   #11  |  Link
tizank tha bizank

Hey Eric,

I did a test conversion of a small piece and it did work. I need to go get a new drive and swap my setup a bit. i used to capture on 2 Raptor drives (74gb and 150gb) so I'm going to pull the 74gb, and throw in a TB.

I went with CineVision because I had liked the segment re-encoding for true control of the look of everything.

It's my first time getting into this. My standard def encoding is so simple and straightforward and easy, so there's just more to learn on doing the Blu-Ray. Hopefully I'll be good to go soon.

I thinking I'll end up having to get a RAID setup for uncompressed capturing.