Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th October 2011, 16:33   #10181  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Hi madshi,
I sometimes experience a madVR bug that completely freezes ZP. I can't replicate it with the other renderers (VMR9/EVR).
It happens after a frequency switch while media playback is starting, using madVR's internal frequency switcher. (tried madVR switching, manual switching, ReClock switching, makes no difference..).

Using ZP8 prefinal 23 + latest madVR (v0.74), default settings.
XP SP3/ nVidia 285.38

What happens is: I open media, madVR detects framerate and changes frequency accordingly (from 720p60 to 720p24 with this test media). Now under 720p24, sometimes interacting with ZP's control bar (seeking media) will completely freeze the app.
Right before this happens, the ZP control bar (fullscreen) is drawn slowly onto the screen, it lags a lot.
It happens with any video stream/decoder. My test video is a simple XVID .avi file and I could reproduce the issue with ffdshow, LAV Video or even standalone Xvid decoder.

It seems to happen only when ZP's option "Display OSD through madVR's OSD API" is disabled.

How to reproduce:

1. In ZP settings, at "Playback" > "Video", disable "Display OSD through madVR's OSD API"
(Note: the "Video covers entire display area" option and madVR's FSE feature have NO impact on this bug, it happens regardless if FSE is totally disabled in madVR or not.)

2. Start playing a video, exemple: an XVID .avi file (decoded by ffdshow or LAV.. same results)

3. While the movie is playing, switch the frequency of the display. (exemple 720p60 to 720p50 or 24)

4. Now in ZP, go fullscreen and bring the control bar.

5. More often than not at this point the issue can be seen: the control bar is drawn slowly onto the screen, you can see its skin elements being drawn one by one.
If you scroll the control bar at this point, for say 20 seconds, it will completely freeze ZP.
Killing the ZP process manually is needed.

If after going fullscreen the control bar is OK for you, please switch the frequency a couple times more [while movie is playing] to try and reproduce the issue, for exemple go back to 720p60 and then again to 720p50 or 24), then go in fullscreen and bring the control bar again to see.

It happens not _always_, but often enough to be really annoying. XD

A few things that I found while testing:
-It only happens with madVR, couldn't fault the other renderers.
-It seems to only happen when ZP's "Display OSD through madVR's OSD API" disabled.
-It happens regardless of video decoder.
-It happens regardless if ZP "resumes media playback from last point" or not.
-When the control bar/ZP is in this weird slow state, if I just close and restart media playback (not ZP !) or open another media, the bug disappears (no more laggy ZP/freeze due).
-It happens regardless if the frequency is switched manually (via shortcuts, nv control panel), or automatically (Reclock or madVR's internal frequency switcher).
-I tried down to madVR build 050, the issue is present too.

Sorry for the length, it's one of those annoying ones to reproduce

I enclose a madVR DEBUG log.
For this log, I just open ZP, bring it fullscreen and start media playback. After madVR switches the frequency, I bring the ZP control bar and scroll for 3 few seconds. ZP freezes completely. The log stops after I killed ZP process manually. Total time around 8 seconds.

I hope you can look into it and hopefully it won't be hard to track down!
It sounds more like a ZP bug to me, but of course I can't be sure. Why are you disabling the option "Display OSD through madVR's OSD API"? Does it have any disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
3. While the movie is playing, switch the frequency of the display. (exemple 720p60 to 720p50 or 24)
Why do you switch the display refresh rate *while* the movie is playing? That's not a good idea, generally, IMHO. madVR generally doesn't like it much if you modify the refresh rate behind its back.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 16:43   #10182  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
madshi, small cosmetic issue:

dual-mon, playback on second mon, FSE mode (Win7 x64), MPC-HC.

With the OSD turned on, if I then hover the mouse over the "Show Desktop" area of the toolbar (on the first mon), the seek bar then shows on the playback mon. Turning OSD off does not exhibit this behavior.
I've changed something for the next madVR version which might fix this, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:21   #10183  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Yes, this is with v0.74. Looking into it further, it only seems to happen on first load when using the madVR refresh-rate changer.

1) Load MKV with cropping flags.
2) madVR changes refresh rate.
3) Video is distorted.
4) Reload video without closing MPC-HC or changing refresh.
5) Video is no longer distorted.

It happens with all cropped MKVs (just re-mux anything with mmg with cropping flags like 8,8,8,8), but if you still need a sample I could upload one.

Here is a log: http://www.mediafire.com/?tudseazrx074zw6
Opened Video
madVR Refresh Rate Changer activates.
10 seconds distorted playback.
Paused 10 seconds.
Reloaded Video.
10 seconds of normal playback.
Closed MPC-HC.

This is on WinXP SP3 x86 w/ an NVIDIA GPU.
Finally was able to reproduce and fix the problem, thanks for your help. FWIW, the problem only occurred with the Haali Media Splitter, but not with the LAV Splitter. And the Haali Media Splitter reported weird things. Anyway, fixed.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:24   #10184  |  Link
Budtz

glitshes at 50hz playback

I get glithes with 50hz playback of 25p material with madvr. this does not happen if run the same material at 24p in 60hz for instance. I reported it some time ago and some1 else reported it also. is this a bug in madvr? not being able to handle this configuration.

thx
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 17:39   #10185  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I get glithes with 50hz playback of 25p material with madvr. this does not happen if run the same material at 24p in 60hz for instance. I reported it some time ago and some1 else reported it also. is this a bug in madvr? not being able to handle this configuration.
It seems to be a bug in the NVidia drivers. Read the last 2 pages of this thread to find some suggestions on how to work around the issue.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:48   #10186  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Oh, forgot to tell you: You need to turn the debug OSD (Ctrl+J) on, before going fullscreen. Only then madVR writes the needed information into the log file. Sorry, my fault. FWIW, I don't need a log with exclusive mode disabled.
I'm always in full screen. For this log I already had the Ctrl-J OSD enabled (from a previous run) so it came up automatically as soon as I started. It that enough?

http://www.mediafire.com/?md2nxy7htx0qb50
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 18:07   #10187  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I'm always in full screen. For this log I already had the Ctrl-J OSD enabled (from a previous run) so it came up automatically as soon as I started. It that enough?

http://www.mediafire.com/?md2nxy7htx0qb50
Yes, that's enough. The log says:

Code:
00001109 Render   fullscreen windowed mode, covered by some windows
00001481 Render   madVR window [madVR] "madVR" {-1920,120,0,1200}
00001491 Render   covered by explorer.exe window [Shell_TrayWnd] {-2,1198,1922,1244}
As you can see, the madVR rendering window is overlapped by the Explorer's tray window. I'm not sure why the tray window seems to cover a different monitor, but that's the way it apparently looks to madVR. Can you move the monitor with the tray window a couple of pixels down? That would probably fix the problem.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:07   #10188  |  Link
Budtz

Yes I have also played lots of content over several months with different NVidia drivers at 60hz24p without glitches. It only happens with 50hz25p. Thou if I choose "overshoot max frame latency" it works. Just strange I guess what is causing it exactly. NVidia drivers I guess. ..

Software and hardware manufactures really do make it hard to get proper PQ. If I play at move with just windows 7 media player or something it’s just awful with crappy PQ and stuttering, dropped frames, no subtitles ect. Would be nice if I dint have to use reclock and other stuff just to watch a movie like on a blurry player. At least I got it to work but why do we have to work against the crappy software and hardware solutions of Microsoft, Intel, NVidia and whatnot. They don’t think users might watch a movie on their pc for entertainment. Only play games I guess. Nice that there are open source alternatives like Madvr thou to get things to work. Should be a simple thing to play a movie on a pc really.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:08   #10189  |  Link
flovv

-->madshi

Just want to say thanx for a fantastic renderer!! It really is the best I have tested!!
Keep up the good work.
/f
flovv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 18:14   #10190  |  Link
Budtz

Yes it is way more modern then the likes of Microsft Apple ect.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:24   #10191  |  Link
tschi

Quote:
Nice that there are open source alternatives like Madvr thou to get things to work.
madVR is not opensource
tschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 18:44   #10192  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
As you can see, the madVR rendering window is overlapped by the Explorer's tray window. I'm not sure why the tray window seems to cover a different monitor, but that's the way it apparently looks to madVR. Can you move the monitor with the tray window a couple of pixels down? That would probably fix the problem.
Yes, that's it. It's strange because there's absolutely no visible trace of the tray window in that monitor and there's no problem with any other window overlapping that monitor. I also have another 2 monitor setup where the monitors are adjacent in the same way and that has no problem. Maybe it's associated with the 4 monitor setup somehow.

In any case, it's not really a problem for me either way. I only mentioned it as a point of interest.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:48   #10193  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
At least I got it to work but why do we have to work against the crappy software and hardware solutions of Microsoft, Intel, NVidia and whatnot. They don’t think users might watch a movie on their pc for entertainment.
Not to mention a dedicated HTPC setup.
Old 18th October 2011, 20:12   #10194  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
After looking at the logs, the situation is pretty clear: With the "delay playback until..." option disabled, the madVR decoder queue is never higher than 3/8 in your logs, often it stays at 1-2/8. Which means that madVR is not getting the frames fast enough from upstream. I guess that you're using so many post-processing AviSynth filters that your CPU is running near its capacity and as a result the madVR decoder queue doesn't fill up quickly enough. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about that. The "delay playback until..." option is the best I can offer for this specific problem. You may want to get a faster CPU or ease up on your AviSynth scripts a bit. The upstream filters must be fast enough to deliver video frames to madVR in time for rendering. Which currently isn't always happening.
Well, my CPU is fast enough AFAICT and if I reseek, I instantly don't get any more dropped frames. But indeed, I guess the hicupping problem doesn't lie in mVR but more in the avisynth filter of ffdshow, which is merely a hack just like the MT() avisynth plugin I'm using. My problem seems like a core affinity matter

Quote:
Why? I don't see how that would improve the problem seen in your logs.
I believe someone before me already requested this feature, and sometimes I've got movies that hiccup when playback starts and I'm forced to reseek...so as much as I don't like the mandatory delay when seeking while having the "wait for queue to be full" option, I would welcome a sub-option to only enable it when playback starts if any possible.

This said, the whining office has been closed for the past few weeks, I've made a dozen automatic ffdshow profiles that allow me to simply use my HTPC in a click'n'play fashion so I hardly ever play around w/ avisynth scripts in realtime anymore...the only feature I'd really like to see is the ability to disable the exclusive/windowed OSD, I believe I could remove them with an hex editor but the background would still show so that wouldn't really help

anyway, mVR works like a charm and it's been a real treat so far!
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 21:01   #10195  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi all,
If using madVR, is there any reason to upgrade my HD5670 to HD6670? Is there some boost in terms of picture quality ( not speed )?
Can I ignore this?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...s,2925-14.html
Thanks
Pluto
Old 18th October 2011, 21:06   #10196  |  Link
oddball

I sorely need screencap ability. Having to switch to another renderer in order to do so is highly frustrating. This is the last peice of the puzzle missing from MadVR for me.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 21:25   #10197  |  Link
kalston

I didn't know I could use the dx11 option with a dx9 card (that sounded silly to me), but someone dared to ask for me and now I know

It does fix the glitches (dx11+ limit rendering times) but not for everything. 29.9/59.9 playback still suffers from a lot of glitches but 23.976/71.92 is fine however.
nev's settings work too, but again not 100% of the time.

In the end I'm just using the old FSE mode, it seems fine to me. Anything wrong with it?
Could it be that it isn't affected by the same bugs (related to the nvidia drivers) as the new FSE? It doesn't monitor glitches (I think?) so I don't know if I have glitches or not but I don't feel them (while I do with the new FSE). Or maybe I haven't seen smooth playback in too long and I'm just used to it (unlikely, I'm a gamer and usually extremely sensitive about smoothness)

Windowed mode doesn't always work properly either for me (bad performance with some high bitrate/high framerate files) so I need FSE where I get excellent performance even with super-high framerates/bitrates.

Last edited by kalston; 18th October 2011 at 21:48.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 23:00   #10198  |  Link
irishrobbie

i have an ati 5670, i use madvr with lav splitter, video and audio filters. i have a profile in amd ccc which is set to 2d clocks 400mhz gpu clock and 900mhz memory clock.
runs very smooth and no dropped frames.but see if i dont use the profiles in my ccc madvr will push the clocks to there maximum.so aslong as things are running ok and no dropped frames i will stick with my 2d clock to keep temps and power abit lower
irishrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 23:07   #10199  |  Link
irishrobbie

can i disable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode, or will this affect video quality and what does full screen exclusive mode mean and do

Last edited by irishrobbie; 18th October 2011 at 23:10.
irishrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 23:13   #10200  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrobbie View Post
can i disable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode, or will this affect video quality and what does full screen exclusive mode mean and do
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...44#post1532544

scroll a bit down

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling