Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th January 2013, 14:36   #17221  |  Link
Dodgexander

Yes the problem only exists using Dxva so it seems, would be interesting if its only AMD users with the problem using dxva or nvidia too.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 14:43   #17222  |  Link
Prinz

I can't test that because my ATI is to slow(old) with dxva decoding, it has all sorts of problems with it.
Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 15:25   #17223  |  Link
Dodgexander

What card do you own? I have a HD6870 and it seems to cope ok.
Old 27th January 2013, 15:26   #17224  |  Link
Prinz

A very old ATI 2600 XT.
Old 27th January 2013, 15:35   #17225  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post
[...]

Another thing, when using exclusive mode, with my secondry monitor sometimes applications get "stuck". They fade, and become unresponsive until I take madvr out of exclusive mode by right clicking on mpc. Is there any reason this is happening? Seems a driver thing.

Disabling desktop composition does the trick, but is there away to keep it without this happening?

Disabling exclusive mode results in dropped frames sadly...
Quote:
For those that have the problem with the fading/stuck windows. Has anyone noticed this happen even more with recent releases?

I upgraded to the latest Madvr and Lav, and now the stuck windows happen even more! Sometimes my other monitor goes completely black even.

*Edit I am also receiving a lot of crashes in MPC-BE related to madvr. Anyone had similar?
Do you mean the 'stuck' applications bug you described? And does it only happen with DXVA2 decoding in LAV? Let me know, i can test with my 7850.

I use MPCHT with madVR and output fse on secondary (TV). I regularly use my PC / internet on my primary while playing the film that way. I never had any bug. But i dont use HW decoding in LAV.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 15:38   #17226  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I thought you guys had found out that this problem also occurs with EVR. So why are you still discussing this in the madVR thread?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 18:04   #17227  |  Link
aufkrawall

Could you guys check if you can play 60fps videos without framdedrops for at least three minutes or longer?
Somehow not possible for me.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 18:17   #17228  |  Link
yahyoh

Quote:
Yes the problem only exists using Dxva so it seems, would be interesting if its only AMD users with the problem using dxva or nvidia too.
no problem at all here using DXVA2 copy back

i have crappy laptop GPU AMD 5470m
yahyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 18:59   #17229  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Could you guys check if you can play 60fps videos without framdedrops for at least three minutes or longer?
Somehow not possible for me.
60fps videos play fine here, but it depends on your hardware?
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 20:19   #17230  |  Link
pirlouy
_

A little use complaint: I'm a bit disappointed by the loss of 1 feature: the ability to rename files for particular screen refresh files (60p, 23p, etc.).
Indeed, sometimes, even if videos are 24fps, I prefer to watch them at 60Hz, because there are short, and I don't need a change of refresh screen.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 20:27   #17231  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
60fps videos play fine here, but it depends on your hardware?
Got a GTX 670, so performance shouldn't be the matter.
But maybe drivers? Hm...
Old 27th January 2013, 21:48   #17232  |  Link
Jong

Post a screenshot of OSD. It sounds like only a slightly worse than usual case of inaccurate video clock. One frame drop every 3 mins = 59.994hz instead of 60hz.

Reclock (or equivalent in JRiver MediaCenter or MediaPortal) would fix. Or follow Madshi's guide to improving your video timings.
Jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 22:44   #17233  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Post a screenshot of OSD. It sounds like only a slightly worse than usual case of inaccurate video clock. One frame drop every 3 mins = 59.994hz instead of 60hz.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...56#post1612756
Refreshrate is higher, so there shouldn't be any framedrops, just repeats, right?
Old 27th January 2013, 23:01   #17234  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Do you mean the 'stuck' applications bug you described? And does it only happen with DXVA2 decoding in LAV? Let me know, i can test with my 7850.

I use MPCHT with madVR and output fse on secondary (TV). I regularly use my PC / internet on my primary while playing the film that way. I never had any bug. But i dont use HW decoding in LAV.
Yes, stuck applications, usually maximizing windows. It almost feels like a crash until you go out of exclusive mode and back in again. There is also often black screens on either screen, although this only started happening in the latest release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I thought you guys had found out that this problem also occurs with EVR. So why are you still discussing this in the madVR thread?
It only happens in full screen exclusive mode and doesn't happen with EVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyoh View Post
no problem at all here using DXVA2 copy back

i have crappy laptop GPU AMD 5470m
Are you using a second screen in fullscreen exclusive mode? Playing on the same screen or without exclusive mode works fine.

As pointed out earlier in the thread, you can either disable desktop composition to fix (in madvr settings). Or also disable this in visual options (in windows).

As seen in this link, minimizing/maximize windows option disabled does eliminate this problem.
Old 27th January 2013, 23:24   #17235  |  Link
Prinz

I think were talking about two Bugs here:

1. The "stuck window" Bug. Can be worked around with disable desktop composition or disable minimize/maximize animation. This Bug also occurs with EVR (when using Exclusive Mode in MPC-HC). So that's something for Microsoft to fix.

2. The Black Screen Bug. This Bug I don't have and it looks like it only happens with dxva. (I don't use dxva)
Old 27th January 2013, 23:46   #17236  |  Link
konakona

What exacly are presentation glitches in fullscreen exclusive mode? I dont usually use it but im asking out of curiosity,as i can accumulate really a lot of them during standard playback.
Im using latest drivers for ati hd4870.

Also,do you think that GeForce gtx260 would be better for video playback overall? Are there any serious differences between ati and nvidia considering video playback?

EDIT:also,what exacly are gpu flushing options used for? and what does presenting few frames in advance do? could it help with my frame interpolation problems? (basically,i see something like current frame+last frame at the same time on screen(not really eye-hurting on movies,but my eyes bleed on anime-its particulary visible when panning over hard edges) -could it be because i forced 72hz refreshrate in powerstrip and gpu video logic still tries to render@60hz?
(screen osd,madvr,powerstrip,and reclock report 72hz,but dxdiag log says:
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
[...]
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

also,later in the log it says:
Deinterlace Caps:
[...] [i decided to only put these with nv12 tags there]
{3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

could that "Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2)" be the cause of my interpolation problems in any case?

Last edited by konakona; 28th January 2013 at 18:31.
konakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 00:18   #17237  |  Link
secvensor

And what into the account of optimization with Crossfire (2xSapphire_HD_7770_Vapor-X_Black_Diamond) ^^?
6(3x2)GB Transcend 1426MHz
RoyalHD (64MB)[Solo6c][JPLAY]/HD7850DC22GD5V2[EIZOT965]
Seasonic X-750
VelociRaptor WD4500HLHX/16TB_STORE

Last edited by secvensor; 28th January 2013 at 00:31.
secvensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 03:49   #17238  |  Link
xyndv

madshi, thank you for this software. But I have an odd problem. I was seeing presentation glitches only in windowed mode and not in exclusive mode, and also not in EVR renderer. After changing some possibly related settings (GPU flush, queue sizes, separate device..) without success, I found that switching my image and chroma algorithms from Jinc 3 AR (or 8) to Lanczos 3 AR fixed the glitches. Also after further testing, I disabled the anti ringing filter on Jinc, and that caused the playback to be even more, extremely glitchy. I'm using: Windows 8, high end hardware with AMD GPU (latest drivers), 120HZ RR monitor + MPC-HC, ReClock. Rendering time is 0.07ms on both Jinc 3 and 8, with or without AR.
xyndv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:15   #17239  |  Link
Jong

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...56#post1612756
Refreshrate is higher, so there shouldn't be any framedrops, just repeats, right?
You are right, a higher refresh rate should lead to occasional repeats, not drops.

I tried your test clip and it worked fine here, but it's only 1 min long, so hard to be sure. Up to you, but you could upload a longer clip (maybe 10 mins). If you do I'd suggest adding an audio stream, even if it is a silent one. There is no audio track at all at the moment, which is, at the very least, unusual, could lead to unexpected behaviour in some players and stops tools like Reclock and Videoclock matching frame rate to refresh rate.

If you are seeing the same behaviour with more normal clips I'd suggest looking at the OSD just as the drops occur - do the buffers suddenly empty, suggesting something else might be getting in the way. For instance, I get drops every 7 secs, accompanied by emptying buffers, if I have GPU-Z running while playing video. Clearly it's polling of the GPU (maybe sensors) causes problems. But any rogue process could I guess cause problems. You could also try switching between H/W and S/W decoding, just to eliminate that as a possible problem. But I'm clutching at straws now, the first thing is whether you see these 3 min drops in 'normal' material, or only in this somewhat unusual test video.

Last edited by Jong; 28th January 2013 at 12:22.
Jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 14:49   #17240  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
A little use complaint: I'm a bit disappointed by the loss of 1 feature: the ability to rename files for particular screen refresh files (60p, 23p, etc.).
Indeed, sometimes, even if videos are 24fps, I prefer to watch them at 60Hz, because there are short, and I don't need a change of refresh screen.
Covered by my previous request for a keyboard shortcut for the refresh rate change.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling