Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 15th April 2011, 03:05   #1401  |  Link
ajp_anton

Why does it feel like the development of the actual encoder has kind of stopped...
Are there still improvements planned?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 03:07   #1402  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Currently there's about 25-30 MBAFF patches queued up waiting for final review. Patience is a virtue!
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 09:52   #1403  |  Link
simonhorlick

Other things to look out for are hopefully Trellis ME (summer of code) and energy preserving quant. Both of which look like they'll be really good for compression.
simonhorlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 11:43   #1404  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhorlick View Post
Other things to look out for are hopefully Trellis ME (summer of code) and energy preserving quant. Both of which look like they'll be really good for compression.
I can't see those on the list of projects palnned for SoC 2011
http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_x264_2011
Old 15th April 2011, 21:42   #1405  |  Link
Mr VacBob

Trellis ME is "Non-local RD optimization". Energy-preserving quant is a side project by saintdev (psy-trellis already behaves sort of like this).
Mr VacBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 07:59   #1406  |  Link
jpsdr

It seems that bluray-compat put weigthp to 1 ? If i add a command line to put weightp to 2, will it work ?
I don't understand this choice. I thought weigthp 2 was bluray compliant according the specs, and problem was only because of some broken chipset ?
In the same good way, bluray-compat seems to put pict-struct only on interlaced content, and not on progressive content, wich seems to be strictly compliant to the spec, even if some people suggest to always put pict-struct, because some authoring software required it.
So, why chose to strictly follow the spec in one case, and not in the other ?
(Unless i am mistaken and understood things wrongly).
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 08:29   #1407  |  Link
skampy

Has anyone ever had problems with the --zones function when the beginning frame is set to when the screen is blank (black)? Say at the very beginning of a video/movie (frame 0), or a few frames after a fade-to-black?

The problem is that, when that beginning frame of the set zone is reached, there is a 'gray' screen displayed for about a second or two, then the video resumes normally. The gray screen doesn't flash, it's simply static gray screen displayed in lieu of what is meant to be, in this case, a black screen.

This has happened with two seperate encodes with two different video sources, with x264 revisions of r1913 and r1924 respectively. Both gray screens occurred when the zone started during a black screen (intro/credits). The zones in this case were nothing special; the only setting used was a bitrate multiplier. I've used zones successfully many times without any problems, but now that I think about it, the start frame for the zone didn't happen to start on a black screen.

I am using the x264 CLI with the lastest x264 revision. The 1st and 2nd passes used exactly the same settings (I am aware that unless --slow-firstpass is specified, the 2nd pass settings aren't used for the 1st pass), and that includes the zone settings. The decoder I use is ffdshow w/ mpc-hc.

Any ideas? Is this a bug, or have I done something wrong?

PS- I don't think posting my x264 cl is relevant in this case, as I cannot fathom how any setting could cause such a weird bug.
skampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 08:54   #1408  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
It seems that bluray-compat put weigthp to 1 ? If i add a command line to put weightp to 2, will it work ?
I don't understand this choice. I thought weigthp 2 was bluray compliant according the specs, and problem was only because of some broken chipset ?
In the same good way, bluray-compat seems to put pict-struct only on interlaced content, and not on progressive content, wich seems to be strictly compliant to the spec, even if some people suggest to always put pict-struct, because some authoring software required it.
So, why chose to strictly follow the spec in one case, and not in the other ?
(Unless i am mistaken and understood things wrongly).
It seems that bluray compat is executed after user params, and all non bd compatible switches are reduced, so weightp 2 is not possible anymore with blu-ray.

pic-struct is not mandatory for progressive content in specs, only for (fake)interlaced and pulldown. But verifiers complain about (probably due bad interpretation of specs)

D_S already update x264 to use pic-struct on (fake)interlaced and pulldown in case bluray compat, we now just wait for next revision.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:12   #1409  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon3i View Post
It seems that bluray compat is executed after user params, and all non bd compatible switches are reduced, so weightp 2 is not possible anymore with blu-ray.
Good to know. That's different then compared to the earlier strategy when later settings in the command line overwrote the preceeding ones.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 09:43   #1410  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

weightp 2 gives relatively little compression benefit over 1 (since the modification I made). If you really want to force it, modifying the code is trivial.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:49   #1411  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
weightp 2 gives relatively little compression benefit over 1 (since the modification I made). If you really want to force it, modifying the code is trivial.
Little compression benefit yes, but I had in mind that the main benefit of weightp 2 was an improvement for fading scenes.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:53   #1412  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Little compression benefit yes, but I had in mind that the main benefit of weightp 2 was an improvement for fading scenes.
weightp 1 does that now.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:55   #1413  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
weightp 1 does that now.
Excellent, thanks.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:09   #1414  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Will it also overwrite the --slices parameter?
I am asking because the --slices are still included here
Old 16th April 2011, 10:14   #1415  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

no just reduce bframes=3, ref=4 for 1080, ref=6 for 720/576/480, bpyramid=strict, weightp=1, aud=1, nalhrd=vbr
Old 16th April 2011, 10:18   #1416  |  Link
Sharc

Thank you. All clear now.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:24   #1417  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

It doesn't force anything that isn't global to all Blu-ray profiles.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:32   #1418  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
It doesn't force anything that isn't global to all Blu-ray profiles.
I see. And because it is executed after user parameters it does a clean up of non-compliant user settings
Old 16th April 2011, 13:28   #1419  |  Link
jpsdr

Quote:
So, does it mean that finaly weightp 2 was not bluray compliant strictly speaking of bluray spec, leaving aside all problem concerning crapy broken chipset ??
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 14:01   #1420  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
So, does it mean that finaly weightp 2 was not bluray compliant strictly speaking of bluray spec, leaving aside all problem concerning crapy broken chipset ??
No. There's even a comment in the source that this is only to care for broken player, not for Blu-Ray compliance.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coding, development, x264 dev