Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd September 2018, 20:51   #561  |  Link
Nastenka

Hi Asmodian,

First off, thanks for your preset configs which have helped me tremendously in tweaking my settings.

I had a few more questions, though. I have a 1080 Ti as well, but my screen resolution is only 1440p. I've gone through with hardware calibration and all, therefore I am looking to tweak your settings a little more since with less upscaling to be done, shouldn't there be some more hidden potential? Since my sources are quite good, I already changed a couple upscaling NGU AAs to NGU Sharp.

Also, are your presets more of a general use case or specific, like for Anime and such?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Nastenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 21:35   #562  |  Link
Asmodian

Watching 1080p at 1440p is actually harder than watching 1080p at 4K. For 4K you simply double it (with NGU) but with 1440p you have to downscale it afterwards. I do not think there is anything to improve for watching at 1440p.

My presets are intended to be general but I do want Anime to look good as part of that. I might chose different settings if I didn't need Anime to look good as well but it would not be very different (i.e. changing NGU AA to NGU Sharp).
Old 24th October 2018, 20:14   #563  |  Link
UMNiK

Great guide, but I wonder if you could provide a simple table of viable settings for 720p\1080p content on a 1080p monitor, the most common scenario. It can be rather difficult to figure out which settings are completely superfluous in that case, and which algorithms aren't wasted. At the moment I'm just using all Lanczos 3 AR (LL, SL) with smooth motion if judder is detected and no extras. I assume any doubling/quadrupling is pointless, but are refinements/other algorithms? I appreciate that you have provided the settings.bin, but I'd much rather have a nice table to figure it out and have some choice myself.

Last edited by UMNiK; 24th October 2018 at 20:20.
UMNiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:33   #564  |  Link
Olivier C.

Hi,

Quote:
this display is already calibrated: [BT.709, pure power curve, 2.20] This sets the current display characteristics. The gamut option affects the conversions used by madVR when playing video with different gamuts but the gamma options only have an effect when using the 'enable gamma processing' option in 'color & gamma'.
This is not totally true if HDR --> SDR conversion is used, at least with "tone map HDR using pixels shaders" option (I didn't tried other HDR options).
Olivier C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:35   #565  |  Link
huhn

yes HDR-SDR it is inconsistent and you can get all kinds of gamma if it it used with gamma processing.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:50   #566  |  Link
Olivier C.

I would to like to say that the gamma options have an effect even if the 'enable gamma processing' option in 'color & gamma' is not used at all, in case of HDR->SDR conversion
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:58   #567  |  Link
huhn

kind of but i still hope madshi makes it more transparent first.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 23:09   #568  |  Link
Olivier C.

Thanks huhn
Old 5th December 2018, 02:56   #569  |  Link
Asmodian

Finally updated for madVR v0.92.17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier C. View Post
This is not totally true if HDR --> SDR conversion is used, at least with "tone map HDR using pixels shaders" option (I didn't tried other HDR options).
Thanks! I updated that description to reflect this.
Old 25th January 2019, 12:48   #570  |  Link
Ava Pug

Hi,

The link for Max Quality settings.bin doesn't work.
Ava Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 15:50   #571  |  Link
K3ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Finally updated for madVR v0.92.17.

Thanks! I updated that description to reflect this.
Hello! Thank you for your guide.

Can you,please, reupload file with max quality settings?
K3ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 15:52   #572  |  Link
Asmodian

Sorry, I am currently traveling and do not have access to the file where I am.

Edit: it looks like the link changed when I updated for 0.92.17, it doesn't usually do that. I have updated the link.

Last edited by Asmodian; 7th February 2019 at 15:57.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 23:19   #573  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I just looked through your settings for max quality and low power, I'm wondering why do you use NGU anti-alias for image doubling, instead of NGU sharp?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 23:30   #574  |  Link
Asmodian

I kept encountering content that looked weird with NGU sharp, AA seems the most universally good version of NGU.

It is especially true for lower budget anime. I am not sure what they do but it often has some damage that is not related to compression, odd aliasing on edges that NGU sharp preserves too well. I do change to NGU sharp with some content.

NGU sharp can also have a "plastic" look with some content, even live action, that doesn't happen with NGU AA.

I sit pretty close to my TV so that weird look from NGU sharp is too obvious, and NGU AA doesn't do it at all.
Old 12th March 2019, 23:50   #575  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
NGU sharp can also have a "plastic" look with some content, even live action, that doesn't happen with NGU AA.

I sit pretty close to my TV so that weird look from NGU sharp is too obvious, and NGU AA doesn't do it at all.
I think most people with projectors and large screens would use NGU sharp wouldnt they?

My scope screen is 145" wide, whenever I test 1080p material upscaled to 4K with madvr and displaying with my JVC NX9 I find NGU AA just too soft. Would this be a general concensus with others using 4K projectors?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 00:29   #576  |  Link
Asmodian

It does depend on the display, please pick whatever looks best to you. My settings are simply what I think looks best, with any content, on my display under my viewing conditions.

I do like the extra sharpness from NGU sharp when it doesn't look weird. A lot of content looks really good with NGU sharp. I think a big part of why NGU sharp sometimes bothers me is that I am pretty close to the display, I can almost resolve pixels. If I move back several feet NGU sharp doesn't bother me nearly as often.

Also, a projector might soften the image a little, which could mitigate the aspect of NGU sharp that bothers me.
Old 13th March 2019, 04:24   #577  |  Link
maxkill

Quote:
It does depend on the display, please pick whatever looks best to you. My settings are simply what I think looks best, with any content, on my display under my viewing conditions.

I do like the extra sharpness from NGU sharp when it doesn't look weird. A lot of content looks really good with NGU sharp. I think a big part of why NGU sharp sometimes bothers me is that I am pretty close to the display, I can almost resolve pixels. If I move back several feet NGU sharp doesn't bother me nearly as often.

Also, a projector might soften the image a little, which could mitigate the aspect of NGU sharp that bothers me.
Or my guide
Old 13th March 2019, 04:52   #578  |  Link
Asmodian

Your settings look very bad to me, to each their own I suppose.

My settings are intended as a place to start, with options that should look good whatever the content and that don't change the image. I have almost all processing off by default and turn it on for specific content if it needs it.

You want to smooth and sharpen the image a lot, it looks artificial to me but if you like it go for it.
Old 13th March 2019, 09:56   #579  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
I kept encountering content that looked weird with NGU sharp, AA seems the most universally good version of NGU.

It is especially true for lower budget anime. I am not sure what they do but it often has some damage that is not related to compression, odd aliasing on edges that NGU sharp preserves too well. I do change to NGU sharp with some content.

I understand, but what about NGU Standart as a medium ground between NGU AA and NGU Sharp? What do you think of it?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 14:20   #580  |  Link
giulianoprs

I also use NGU sharp with my plasma tv and a modest AMD rx 560 (strictly 1080p file) and I must say that I am very well, thanks also to the guides present here in this forum.
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote