Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old Today, 16:01   #60861  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
works or not is such an inaccurate statement when it comes to binary data over cable.. lol.
The CABLE is a LIE.
Old Today, 16:15   #60862  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Why use a mode where skin tones look a bit off when we have one where they would look correct?

This one seems to slightly oversaturate in its BT.709 mode:

The DCI-P3 mode is a bit wonky. I am not sure reds change much. It looks like it is stretching the mids in DCI-P3 rather than clamping the max in BT.709:

I do not believe this is true with the SONY VPL-VW285ES projector.

Edit: I would agree with your advice if we didn't have any data on the display, it is better to be over saturated instead of undersaturated and using the native gamut is preferred. However, in this case I think the BT.709 mode is the better option for madVR, at least without a colorimeter to create a 3DLUT. I also agree that a colorimeter is much preferred, though even with one I might end up keeping that projector in BT.709 mode, its primaries look closer to BT.709.
And without a meter, neither the 709/p3 gamut are accurate So absent that dimension, I'm saying we may as well ensure we're getting that ferrari Red and lamborghini orange.

The goal of colorimetry isn't accurate color persay, it's good LOOKING colors.

Looking at those charts, the lower saturations look pretty close on both 709 and p3.

I'm still voting for p3. it's pretty close.

I also have great doubt that Lx2's output levels are setup properly. He's very likely fallen into the trap of gamma crush which <looks perceptually> more contrasty on some setups. Kind of like people who intentionally set their HDMI levels wrong on their Oleds.

Last edited by tp4tissue; Today at 16:19.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:15   #60863  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Kind of like people who intentionally set their HDMI levels wrong on their Oleds.
Not sure if you meant this as a comment on what I said the other day, but just to clear things up: The reason I intentionally mismatch the black levels on my OLED is that I use RGB full for the output and limited in madVR. Since I don't use my HTPC for anything other than media playback, setting the TV to limited doesn't hurt anything. It just saves one conversion/expansion, whether that's beneficial or not.

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling