Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 5th January 2010, 23:42   #961  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelebron View Post
See midway down:
http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_p...TID=3680&PN=20

Its confirmed at CES
Ah, I see, no that's not what I was referring to for speculation. I know that the feature is confirmed, however, WHEN it gets released to the public is what's in question now. My guess says it'll be available this month, but, that's, again, speculation.
Old 5th January 2010, 23:48   #962  |  Link
rica

Samuri, my friend:
it was impossible for PDVD for you too before you bought it
So i suppose PayPal has missed you in advance

Last edited by rica; 5th January 2010 at 23:52.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 23:53   #963  |  Link
SamuriHL

LOL! PDVD has certainly been a decent player for the past few weeks, but, it's not without its flaws. Still, I'm not unhappy that I bought it again. The fact that I now have SO many choices for bitstreaming with my 5870 is superb!!!
Old 5th January 2010, 23:56   #964  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
The fact that I now have SO many choices for bitstreaming with my 5870 is superb!!!
agreed
Old 6th January 2010, 00:04   #965  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perls View Post
A reboot fixed the issue with ffdshow, so the problem was probably related to something not being cleaned up properly after a lot of setting changes. Sorry if I caused confusion.
Thanks for letting us know! That was one piece of the puzzle that didn't fit.

So, guys, I think it's safe to say now that this DD/DTS dropout problem is a 5000 series problem.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 00:12   #966  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Thanks for letting us know! That was one piece of the puzzle that didn't fit.

So, guys, I think it's safe to say now that this DD/DTS dropout problem is a 5000 series problem.
Stellar.
Old 6th January 2010, 00:41   #967  |  Link
kkozma

So is the bitstream support for Arcsoft going to be available as a patch to current users because I *JUST* bought tmt3 last week even though I said I wasn't going to...
kkozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 00:42   #968  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post
So is the bitstream support for Arcsoft going to be available as a patch to current users because I *JUST* bought tmt3 last week even though I said I wasn't going to...
I hope so.
Old 6th January 2010, 00:43   #969  |  Link
SamuriHL

No hope required. Yes, it will be in a future patch for TMT3.
Old 6th January 2010, 01:13   #970  |  Link
rica

Quote:
I can't say it's safe to say....
Old 6th January 2010, 01:18   #971  |  Link
David602

Audio/Video quality as good as commercial players?

Samuri and others,

Since some of you have now compared using a Xonar with a commercial player (TMT/PDVD) vs. FFDSHOW, have you noticed any difference in sound quality?

I know that technically its bitstreaming and the receiver is decoding it but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a difference.

Is FFDSHOW really as good as TMT in handling the audio?

I'm also curious about the video side of things. I've been very happy with TMT3's video quality and i'm trying to confirm that MPC's video quality will be as good. I've been using the gabest/MPC codecs and so far things look good but I haven't done extensive testing. I had to enable alternative vsync to smooth things out but again, i've only played a few clips. Has anyone tried CoreAVC 2.0?

The reason I ask is because I have all my BD rips in ISO and I'm considering making the jump to MKV for faster loading (TMT3 + VCD takes like 15-20 seconds just to load an image) and I want to make sure I'm not losing on quality.
David602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 01:23   #972  |  Link
David602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
Yes i made log, i just verify with ffdshow the number channel detection.
With TMT3 the sample is play fine 7.1 DTS-HR detected by my AVR

So the link to the iso that i use ISO DTS-HR 7.1 and M2TS DTS-HR 7.1

Thanks for these samples. I'm trying to confirm MPC/FFDSHOW works for E-AC3 on my system.

Do you have any E-AC3 / Dolby Digital + samples? The only content with E-AC3 that I have are HD-DVDs in EVO and TMT3 plays it as LPCM.

I haven't been successful in muxing it from the .EVO container into .MKV or .m2ts for testing with MPC/FFDSHOW yet. If you have any ideas on this, please let me know. I've tried BDClown, EAC3to cmd line and MAKEMKV so far...
David602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 01:24   #973  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by David602 View Post
Samuri and others,

Since some of you have now compared using a Xonar with a commercial player (TMT/PDVD) vs. FFDSHOW, have you noticed any difference in sound quality?

I know that technically its bitstreaming and the receiver is decoding it but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a difference.

I'm also curious about the video side of things. I've been very happy with TMT3's video quality and i'm trying to confirm that MPC's video quality will be as good. I've been using the gabest/MPC codecs and so far things look good but I haven't done extensive testing. I had to enable alternative vsync to smooth things out but again, i've only played a few clips. Has anyone tried CoreAVC 2.0?

The reason I ask is because I have all my BD rips in ISO and I'm considering making the jump to MKV for faster loading (TMT3 + VCD takes like 15-20 seconds just to load an image) and I want to make sure I'm not losing on quality.
On the audio side no difference since both applicatons bitstream and the the resulting quality is up to the decoder of your AVR.
On the video side it is up to you. You may select different video decoders you wish in MPC-HC. (DXVA mode must be selected for the time being btw.)

Last edited by rica; 6th January 2010 at 01:28.
Old 6th January 2010, 01:32   #974  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Samuri and others,

Rica pretty much summed up my thoughts on this, as well. Bitstreaming is bitstreaming so the quality is literally identical. However, I want to share a thought with you and whoever else is wondering about ffdshow vs TMT vs PDVD vs WinDVD. TMT/PDVD/WinDVD all have to "play by the rules". This means they are inundated with tons of security layers, extra crap they have to do in order to protect the streams, and all that fun nonsense. Each layer adds another potential area to break. albain's amazing work on ffdshow is pure. It's a soup to nuts solution that simply implements bitstreaming at a very basic level without PAP, protection of AACS keys in memory, protection against debugging of any kind, etc. As such it's lighter code, easier to maintain code if something should break, and all around just a better approach. It's the approach all the commercial guys WISH they could take.

Rica also summed up the video side of things quite well, as well. You have LOTS of options here. Using MPC-HC's built in DXVA solutions (or albain's new DXVA ffdshow implementation) you're going to get the same quality video as the commercial guys. CPU usage will be non-existent for the most part with bitstreaming + ffdshow. Another benefit (for some) is that mpc-hc simply jumps to playing the movie. No ads. No menus. No BS. Just put the disc in, select it, and watch the movie.

In short, MPC-HC + ffdshow gives you a no nonsense, easy to use, *FREE*, playback solution that is as easy or complex as you want to make it. Having this as an option...I can't see that as a bad thing. At all.
Old 6th January 2010, 01:35   #975  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Thanks for these samples. I'm trying to confirm MPC/FFDSHOW works for E-AC3 on my system.

Do you have any E-AC3 / Dolby Digital + samples? The only content with E-AC3 that I have are HD-DVDs in EVO and TMT3 plays it as LPCM.

I haven't been successful in muxing it from the .EVO container into .MKV or .m2ts for testing with MPC/FFDSHOW yet. If you have any ideas on this, please let me know. I've tried BDClown, EAC3to cmd line and MAKEMKV so far...
Demux them to individual media files via eac3to and remux to mkv with MkvToolnix.
Old 6th January 2010, 01:45   #976  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
In short, MPC-HC + ffdshow gives you a no nonsense, easy to use, *FREE*, playback solution that is as easy or complex as you want to make it. Having this as an option...I can't see that as a bad thing. At all.
Samuri summed up everything, great
Old 6th January 2010, 02:29   #977  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
I can't say it's safe to say....
Why? Is anyone else with a 4000 series having this exact same problem, or is anyone with a 5000 series not?
Old 6th January 2010, 03:15   #978  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Why? Is anyone else with a 4000 series having this exact same problem, or is anyone with a 5000 series not?
Again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whurlston View Post
I just tested this using a recorded show (1080i MPEG2/AC3) using the MPC-HC MPEG2 Video Decoder (Gabest) and ffdshow audio decoder (SVN 3164, AC3 bitstream) and I don't get any dropouts at all. I tested using GraphStudio and the 5770 w/ 9.12.
Old 6th January 2010, 03:19   #979  |  Link
Andy o

He's using another player. I don't have the problem even with MPC-HC and madVR. It might be a renderer problem, but the fact is that so far it's only happening with 5000 cards.
Old 6th January 2010, 03:25   #980  |  Link
rica

I thought you are talking about MPC-HC
Dunno what player he uses but i thought we were talking about the difference between 5*** and 4*** series cards' capabilities on MPC-HC?