Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th April 2017, 18:45   #43281  |  Link
XMonarchY

Thank you madshi! Are you running Windows 10? Have you had a chance to see how Creator's Update performs with madVR + ReClock?
Old 10th April 2017, 18:49   #43282  |  Link
e-t172

Regarding the upcoming HDR metadata support… will we need to watch out for the HDR format "war" when choosing a display for playing HDR content from a PC with madVR? From what I can tell there is HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG. Which standards do the nVidia/Microsoft APIs support? Will we need to be careful when shopping for TVs? Does it even matter?
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 18:57   #43283  |  Link
Neo-XP

Wow, NGU-high is now better than is was in v0.91.1 (NGU-med)

Now I regret even more not being able to use NGU-med for chroma doubling...
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 19:08   #43284  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Regarding the upcoming HDR metadata support… will we need to watch out for the HDR format "war" when choosing a display for playing HDR content from a PC with madVR? From what I can tell there is HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG. Which standards do the nVidia/Microsoft APIs support? Will we need to be careful when shopping for TVs? Does it even matter?
Any recent half-decent TV should support all of those.
In any case, Dolby Vision is not what PCs send, right now its probably HDR10, and may also be HLG in the future.
Old 10th April 2017, 19:51   #43285  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Windows 7 itself doesn't support frame packed 3D, so I'm not sure what kind of problem you have there. You can't play 3D movies in Windows 7 with madVR.

NVidia drivers are somewhat weird. If you have 3D output activated and then play a 2D movie, the driver actually tries to analyze the video and convert it from 2D to 3D. And it kinda works, but only for a bit and it crashes very often. You should keep 3D disabled with NVidia drivers, except when you want to watch a 3D movie.
I want to calibrate 3D, so that's why I'm interested in trying to play 2D grey scale patterns while the display is kept in 3D mode. I can understand that this is outside the scope of MadVR and a driver issue then (however, I used to be able to do this without any issues some months ago). I guess I'm going to have to try and create some 3D patterns instead.

Also, when you start working on implementing the automatic HDR-mode, please consider making it an option to remove the HDR-flag (so basically what MadVR does today). Owners of JVC projectors want the HDR-data to be stripped in order to get more control over the projector settings. I know this is the opposite of what most users desire, but having this option would be very welcome by the JVC minority. Thanks for all your hard work
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 19:53   #43286  |  Link
MariaX9

What exactly counts as High Quality? 480p and above, or does 480p count as low Quality?
MariaX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 20:11   #43287  |  Link
cork_OS

madshi, what do you think about NGU quadrupling for chroma?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaX9 View Post
What exactly counts as High Quality? 480p and above, or does 480p count as low Quality?
Encoding artifacts or blurry source count as low quality whatever resolution.
Old 10th April 2017, 21:35   #43288  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
madVR v0.91.8 released
1) NGU Standard seems like a good match for the sharpness of NGU AA, but

2) I really like the Anti-Aliasing capabilities of NGU AA, it makes a very visible difference in some cases for the material I watch (mostly livestreams and youtube videos, which are all fairly heavily compressed). I think a certain level of compression just inherently causes aliasing, and NGU AA does wonders for it (in certain cases), where NGU Standard just looks softer than NGU Sharp.

If anything, I'd kind of like a sharper version of NGU AA if that's possible. I like the crisp edges of NGU Sharp, but unfortunately for the material I watch the crispest edges are the compression artifacts :P

By the way, do you think you'll be able to make direct quadrupling work for NGU AA?

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 10th April 2017 at 21:58.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 00:07   #43289  |  Link
ryrynz

I asked about a sharper version of AA but it's unlikely to happen. Just add a touch of AS and you're sorted.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 12:50   #43290  |  Link
nuhi

3DLut edge problem

Quote:
I'm not really a calibration expert. I'd kindly suggest that you ask for help in the Calman support forum. Those guys know everything there is to know about calibration and are much more likely to be able to help you out.
Thanks for your reply, which encouraged me to do more tests.
It was the Sliding Power gamma during calibration that was doing it, now changed the gamma function.
Not sure of it's a bug on Calman's side, still waiting on their reply.
nuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 15:28   #43291  |  Link
tingtong5

I finally managed to solve my video performance issues :-)

1. By disabling zoom reduce ringing artifacts in MadVR -> processing -> artifact removal.
2. By disabling crispen edges in MadVR -> processing -> image enhancements and enabling it instead in upscaling refinement settings only.
3. By disabling zoom small black bars away in MadVR -> processing -> zoom control.

Making these 3 changes results in significant performance boost whic translates in much lower average frame rendering times :-)
tingtong5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 15:43   #43292  |  Link
tingtong5

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
Go to trade quality/performance options, and check "scale chroma separately if it saves performance" since chroma is already at 1080p resolution. Alternatively, don't use anything harder than bicubic AR for chroma upscaling.

My laptop GPU can handle 4k (well, in film ratio and not a full 16:9 picture)->1080p scaling with SSIM1D if I don't use chroma scaling at all. Your 1070 should have absolutely no issues, even with something like SSIM2D with antibloat.
Thanks a lot for this! :-)
tingtong5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 16:13   #43293  |  Link
Patrik G

Question:
When Madvr converts UHD HDR to SDR does it also convert colors from bt2020 to bt709?

also will there be a setting for adjusting the PQ gamma with HDR material on SDR tvs?

as it is now to get down the APL with UHD HDR i need to select much higher peakbrightness than the tv has.
and with that i think highlights dims down to much.

what i want is to have the highest possible brightness for highlights but to tone down the rest of the image to where it should be
around 100nits APL.
you cant do that now.

you can with the Samsung K8500 UHD player with adjustment of Brightness and Contrast in picture mode user menu
with that you can adjust contrast to get max details in bright areas without clipping with UHD HDR material.

i wish madvr had the same setting

Last edited by Patrik G; 11th April 2017 at 16:21.
Patrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 20:31   #43294  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
1) Do you like the new "NGU Standard" and "NGU Soft" variants? Personally, I like "NGU Standard" a lot. But I think "NGU Soft" is too soft to be useful, and I'd like to remove it again. But since I spent a lot of time creating it, I thought I'd let you test it, at least.

2) Does "NGU Standard" work better for (non-aliased) low quality content now? Or do we still have to use NGU AA for that? Ideally I hope that we can now use "NGU Sharp" for high quality soures, "NGU Standard" for low quality (but aliasing free) sources, and "NGU AntiAlias" only for aliased sources. Is that reasonable? Or is "NGU AA" still the best option for any low quality sources, aliasing free or not?

3) I want to remove the "Soften Edges" option, because "NGU Standard" was made to replace it. Any objections?

4) With all the changes in this build, I feel that "double twice" is no longer needed. "direct quadrupling" should now always be identical or superior in quality and much faster. So I would like to remove "double twice". Any objections?
1) I do not like "NGU Standard" for chroma upscaling (too sharp), and "NGU Sharp" is awful for it (really too sharp and ugly). "NGU Soft" is alright, but "NGU AntiAlias" is better and of course NNEDI is a direct competitor.
Maybe "NGU AntiAlias" could be better in all cases than NNEDI if it was a little more sharp and produced/accentuated a bit less artifacts. But for now, each one have pros and cons...
Do you plan to keep all the NGU variants for chroma upscaling ?

For luma doubling though they are all good, but if one have to go, it should be "NGU Soft" because "NGU AntiAlias" could be used instead if someone wants a clean result without the sharpness of the classic NGU. "NGU Soft" is too soft.

2) "NGU Standard" removes dark halos, "NGU AntiAlias" does not. The edges are cleaner with "NGU AntiAlias", because "NGU Standard" seems to produces artifacts on them (probably while removing the halos). Is it not possible to have them both combined in one "NGU Standard AA" algo ? Also, I noticed that "NGU AntiAlias" shifted the image a little, is that normal ?

3) Yes, it is useful at 1 or 2 to soften a bit the razor-sharp edges of "NGU Sharp", even more when using it with "direct quadrupling".

4) No, "double twice" produce a very superficial result so it can go IMO.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this version now. Just madshi.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 12th April 2017 at 02:44.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 00:22   #43295  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. I fixed it by using 24Hz instead of 23.970Hz - my TV can do both and each is a separate entry. I just left 1080p24 in madVR as the setting forthe lowest possible refresh rate.
Thanks for the tip. However, I'm still getting 1 frame drop every 33min. Originally it's from every 33 seconds
Old 12th April 2017, 03:02   #43296  |  Link
qjb2016

how use "process HDR content by using an external 3DLUT" ?
qjb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 03:11   #43297  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
I noticed that "NGU AntiAlias" shifted the image a little, is that normal ?
Yes the half pixel offset is normal, NGU AA works similar to how NNEDI3 does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
1) I do not like "NGU Standard" for chroma upscaling (too sharp), and "NGU Sharp" is awful for it (really too sharp and ugly). "NGU Soft" is alright, but "NGU AntiAlias" is better and of course NNEDI is a direct competitor.
Maybe "NGU AntiAlias" could be better in all cases than NNEDI if it was a little more sharp and produced/accentuated a bit less artifacts.
I like NGU AA for chroma a lot. Being able to sharpen chroma aside from SuperRes would be nice, can AS be adapted here?

Last edited by ryrynz; 12th April 2017 at 03:15.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 03:26   #43298  |  Link
qjb2016

Old 12th April 2017, 04:14   #43299  |  Link
qjb2016

how build the "external 3DLUT"?
Old 12th April 2017, 04:19   #43300  |  Link
qjb2016

help

how build the "external 3DLUT"?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling